Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone

1111213141517»

Comments

• Reply 321 of 335
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The "solution" is to use a phone other than an iPhone. Other phones will tether via WiFi just fine, natively. I'm planning to use a Sony Ericsson J10 Elm to do just this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Excatly. Been doing that for quite a while. Check out JoikuSpot.com. A great solution for only ?7. Apple and AT&T can piss off.

Um, except 3 Hong Kong and Sonera, the carriers of the iPhone in Hong Kong and Finland respectively, allow tethering. On the iPhone. Which the iPhone enabled with OS 3.0.
  • Reply 322 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Um, except 3 Hong Kong and Sonera, the carriers of the iPhone in Hong Kong and Finland respectively, allow tethering. On the iPhone. Which the iPhone enabled with OS 3.0.

Tethering has nothing to do with it. JoikuSpot creates a wifi hotspot that tells your iPhone that it is connected via wifi as opposed to 3G. I do this all the time when I return to the office in DC or NY. I bring my Nokia phone, get an AT&T SIM card. I put the SIM in the Nokia, turn on JoikuSpot and away I go. I am not sure if you are familiar with the functionality of the application.
  • Reply 323 of 335
    It should be fairly easy to create a device whic takes a USB connector and broadcasts a secure wireless network to get round apples idiotic limitation.

Such a solution should be able to simply connect using the dock on the bottom of the iPhone which would provide power.
  • Reply 324 of 335
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The iPhone app: MyWi seems a pretty good solution to this problem.

It turns the iPhone into a WiFi hotspot - by sharing it's 3G internet connection over WiFi Wireless.

The problem is that MyWi requires a jail-broken iPhone to run.

C.
  • Reply 325 of 335
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

It turns the iPhone into a WiFi hotspot - by sharing it's 3G internet connection over WiFi Wireless.

C.

And this might be another catalyst that results in a mini-boom for jailbreaks of iPhones outside of the US. A lot of people believe that jailbreakers do so simply to pirate apps. They can't understand that some JB in order to gain legitimate functionality that is not provided by the OS or existing apps. I am going to guess that the majority of iPad buyers are also iPhone owners. If that is the case, I think it is reasonable to expect that some are going to wonder why their iPhone can provide mobile internet access to their MacBook but not to their iPad. A simple jailbreak of their iPhone and app download and you have a wifi router for your iPad to access.
  • Reply 326 of 335
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

And this might be another catalyst that results in a mini-boom for jailbreaks of iPhones outside of the US. A lot of people believe that jailbreakers to so simply to pirate apps. They can't understand that some JB in order to gain legitimate functionality that is not provided by the OS or existing apps. I am going to guess that the majority of iPad buyers are also iPhone owners. If that is the case, I think it is reasonable to expect that some are going to wonder why their iPhone can provide mobile internet access to their MacBook but not to their iPad. A simple jailbreak of their iPhone and app download and you have a wifi router for your iPad to access.

By all accounts the MyWi app, is a power-hog, and drains batteries.

But I agree, the jail-breaking option looks attractive.

I only occasionally need tethering. I'd be happy to pay on a per-usage basis, but that option is not offered.

C.
  • Reply 327 of 335
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Tethering has nothing to do with it. JoikuSpot creates a wifi hotspot that tells your iPhone that it is connected via wifi as opposed to 3G. I do this all the time when I return to the office in DC or NY. I bring my Nokia phone, get an AT&T SIM card. I put the SIM in the Nokia, turn on JoikuSpot and away I go. I am not sure if you are familiar with the functionality of the application.

Sounds interesting.
  • Reply 328 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

C.

Doesn't Sprint's solution work this way, except with hardware?
  • Reply 329 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Doesn't Sprint's solution work this way, except with hardware?

The MiFi? Yes, that is what Sprint and Verizon offer. Put it in your pocket and when you need internet access on a wifi device, you push a button and go. I think they both do up to 5 concurrent clients. Of course, it means another device in your pocket, whereas enabling it on your phone wouldn't.
  • Reply 330 of 335
    Quote:

The MiFi? Yes, that is what Sprint and Verizon offer. Put it in your pocket and when you need internet access on a wifi device, you push a button and go. I think they both do up to 5 concurrent clients. Of course, it means another device in your pocket, whereas enabling it on your phone wouldn't.

It comes in a case that holds the iPad as well, so you could leave it in its holder in the case. Assuming that you want a case for the iPad.
  • Reply 331 of 335
    Quote:

It comes in a case that holds the iPad as well, so you could leave it in its holder in the case. Assuming that you want a case for the iPad.

That pocket might make a nice home for your iPhone too

I guess what I should have said was it would mean another data plan for the device, where if your iPhone would share it's connection via wifi, it would not (for those of us allowed to tether in our plan).

Moot point. Given the other posters' comments on the battery drain, I don't think Apple wants to implement an even faster way for us to drain our batteries.
  • Reply 332 of 335
    Quote:

That pocket might make a nice home for your iPhone too

I guess what I should have said was it would mean another data plan for the device, where if your iPhone would share it's connection via wifi, it would not (for those of us allowed to tether in our plan).

Moot point. Given the other posters' comments on the battery drain, I don't think Apple wants to implement an even faster way for us to drain our batteries.

All true.

The Pre is supposed to be able to do this as well. I forget if it was with Sprint or Verizon, but two reviews of the feature said it didn't work.
  • Reply 333 of 335
    Quote:

All true.

The Pre is supposed to be able to do this as well. I forget if it was with Sprint or Verizon, but two reviews of the feature said it didn't work.

Actually, it is probably a very good thing that it comes with a case with a pocket for the mifi so you don't have to keep it in your pants. Exploding batteries next to my nuts is generally a bad thing.

Dammit Apple, let me use my phone as a wifi router so my nuts aren't at risk!
  • Reply 334 of 335
    Quote:

Actually, it is probably a very good thing that it comes with a case with a pocket for the mifi so you don't have to keep it in your pants. Exploding batteries next to my nuts is generally a bad thing.

Dammit Apple, let me use my phone as a wifi router so my nuts aren't at risk!

Depends. Do you want to have kids? See, it could be a good excuse.
  • Reply 335 of 335
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Apple rejected it for the iPhone years ago, long before the iPad was a twinkle in anyone's eye, so it's nothing to do with hurting 3G iPad sales but everything to do with their agreement with the carriers. Not unreasonably so in my opinion.

Clearly you're going to use a lot more data from a computer than a mobile phone with a tiny screen. Expecting to get tethering for free is like going to an eat all you want buffet then filling up your bags with food to take home with you, and seeing nothing wrong with that because you've paid to eat "as much you want".

Wait, do I have to stop doing that?