Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone

Comments

• Reply 181 of 335
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Glad to see the Apple public relations campaign is still running perfectly.

Seriously though, it's interesting to see the tech fans in general do a 180 on Apple over the past 6 months or so. Refusing Google Voice was the start, and after the seemingly endlesss series of dick moves from Jobs/Apple have turned many Apple fans into Apple haters. Way to go Steve.

If you don't believe me just check out a DIGG comments thread on an Apple story. Used to be they were filled with Apple lovers, now any comment which attacks Apple gets massive numbers of thumbs up.

Even Leo Laporte, one time Apple cheerleader now uses a Nexus One and rarely says anything pro Apple any more.
  • Reply 182 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

A country the size of the State of Montana is not that difficult to get wired/wireless.

Everyone in Montana has access to good quality wireless and broadband? Great, I'm moving! Always fancied learning how to ride a horse.
  • Reply 183 of 335
    volkvolk Posts: 1member
    Since when did "No." become a terse word? Me thinks Apple Insider is engaging in sensationalism. No is no. It's an honest answer. Steve Jobs didn't even have to give him a response at all. Should Jobs have apologized to the guy instead?

Just give me the news, AI. Don't try to get me to feel a certain way about it. I find that unnecessary and irritating.
  • Reply 184 of 335
    caljomaccaljomac Posts: 122member
    Oh well.....ill have to fork out for the 3g version then
  • Reply 185 of 335
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You have a history lot of one-word or terse responses too. I guess you also must be very busy or a.....

The difference with me and him is he's a public representative for a very large company and has certain responsibilities, I'm on some forum and I don't even use my real name. Whether you care yo admit it or not that's a big difference. And his wrath and callousness is pretty much widely known, he can be a huge prick at times. Even Woz of all people hinted at it a few times from what I've seen. Everyone knows this. People here are always oversensitive to criticisms of Jobs and Apple, it always makes me wonder why.
  • Reply 186 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Volk View Post

Since when did "No." become a terse word?

Since it's a one worded e-mail, which isn't common really. And since terse means: Sparing in use of words; abrupt. It is easy to over-analylsze e-mails from any public figure though.
  • Reply 187 of 335
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Ooh ooh I know this one! It's next to Noorway, just above Deenmark!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm pretty sure it's right next to Norwegia.

News Flash: Maybe AI got it right the first time, namely that Steve Jobs indeed "fired off a tersely worded email reply to a user in Sweeden..."

Jezper Söderlund could very well be 1 of the 171 proud residents of Sweeden, Kentucky, who just so happens to blog on a Swedish website....... and who is laughing his ass off while we play Marco - Polo locating his country... Oops, that should read: county. See? It's an easy oversight. And, let's face it, it's certainly an excusable mistake for the overworked and underpaid News Editor in the AI Situation Room.

Hey, don't laugh. I paid-off Security for a peek at the nerve centre, or "Bletchley" as it's called in-house. The place is mayhem; complete chaos to me, a casual observer. Fresh ticker tape freewheels off the Apple News Wire, zings into space and lands atop mountains of yesterday's tape that dutifully delivered its news cycle's blockbuster news. Phones ring off the hook; reporters at every station; news-jockeys sprint from blackboard to blackboard, chalking-up every anonymous but on the record tip, every painstakingly decoded snippet of Steve Jobs' morning tea leaves; the daily Foxconn briefings from the embedded gardening staff -- all used to braid together for us a full picture of half of the story. And, lest I forget, they record every wink and twitch from every market analyst (familiar with the matter), prepared to pronounce after enormous research and group thinking, every hard, cold, speculative fact. It truly is a veritable orchestra of Swiss precision -- all conducted by the Barron himself, Maestro Kasper.

An Automated Slave? Well, sadly so. He's a slave to the highest of arts, the Art of Irrefutable Rumour. Indeed, he wears the burden of irrepressible talent, something he'll carry to his grave, but when someone is a Mozart in a world of Salieris, the Art, well, it becomes more important than the artist.

And oh, how sweet is his art...
  • Reply 188 of 335
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Allowing tethering would mean Apple would sell less units of the 3G model of the iPad, so it would not make business sense for the company. Apple's bottom line comes first, as it does for almost all companies - everything else is accessory to that goal. Also this would probably make for an awkward user experience.

If you don't like Apple business choices you can either jail break the devices, or buy from a company that provides you with the solutions that suit you.
  • Reply 189 of 335
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

There are so many ways to define unlimited

Sorry, but no. This is as untrue as anything you could possibly post. I usually agree with you, but you are substantially off base with your comments re: the word Unlimited.

Whether AT&T chooses to abuse a marketing word or not is another matter, and what they put in their fine print is yet another (see the class action lawsuit against AT&T ETFs if you think fine print is god....here's a hint, it ain't.)
  • Reply 190 of 335
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

I think many were surprised at how low the the data plan was when typically just a data plan for a non-phone these days is $60 for 5GB, hard.

Nice. Here in Canada we pay that for 500MB!
  • Reply 191 of 335
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

People here are always oversensitive to criticisms of Jobs and Apple, it always makes me wonder why.

That's an interesting issue you raise. I have wondered about that too.

My honest conclusion? A guy like that, who in so many ways demands our respect, admiration, and embodies our desire for purpose and clarity, also perhaps holds a mirror to certain negative traits in us that we tend to overlook or minimize.

Speaking for myself, that is.....
  • Reply 192 of 335
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

With v3.0 Beta tethering was enabled across the board up until the last couple weeks. The help.benm.at tething profiles have been great to allow the built-in tethering option with a simple profile without having to use those complex jailbreak app solutions.

However, tethering with the latest iPhone v3.1.3 on AT&T is not possible (at least not for me) and there is essentially no way to revert back to an earlier version of iPhone OS, unless you took steps before hand with a jailbroken iPhone to ensure that you could.

Did not realize that this method was now broken - I use it so little I just assumed... and we all know what they say about assume! My apologies to any I misled - I should have verified that this still worked first.
  • Reply 193 of 335
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I don't know, but Sweeden is not a country, so your comment trying to be humorous failed to get my point of the misspelling by AI. Piece of advice, take time to read comments before trying to be smart, it helps.

I guess I was always better in geography than spelling.
  • Reply 194 of 335
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Nice. Here in Canada we pay that for 500MB!

Like hell we do
  • Reply 195 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's an interesting issue you raise. I have wondered about that too.

My honest conclusion? A guy like that, who in so many ways demands our respect, admiration, and embodies our desire for purpose and clarity, also perhaps holds a mirror to certain negative traits in us that we tend to overlook or minimize.

Speaking for myself, that is.....

You are indeed speaking for yourself, cause I personal believe the only "healthy" relationship you can have with Apple (not Steve) is a sort of love-hate one. Steve makes great decisions and is a great CEO to have at the top of a technology product company, but at the end of the day that's all Apple is, a product company that produces products. Respect is too strong a word, if we're talking about respect than we're talking about people like our parents, people who work with the homeless, and true stars like Rogers, Cash and Eastwood--that have reputations for always putting people first.

Steve is often criticized and most times (not all) the arguments are valid, but some people here no matter what the point, criticism or argument go on the defensive--that's just wrong, and moreover that's the sort of cult-like behavior some Mac users are known and hated for. It's sick, frankly. That's what people talk about when they say: "drinking the kool aid".
  • Reply 196 of 335
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I think the fact that it is unlocked means they really didn't ask for much. I have unlimited data right now and can stick this very same SIM card in an iPad can march on. It would appear that right now, the US operators are the only backwards, screw the customer to death operators trying to make more money off of existing connections.

It will be interesting to see if a mechanical hack (i.e., cutting an iPhone SIM card to size*) will allow connection to unlimited data. That of course will not solve the tethering issue itself unless you have an unlocked iPhone (legally or otherwise) and a carrier that allows tethering. I for one will be happy to read about cutting down the SIM card and ways of shimming it back into the iPhone since it sounds VERY unstable to me.

That is truly a hack.

*You could of course find a carrier that allows tethering and has the tiny SIM card (that is really not in use in the US - or so I understand) but that would mean a second contract (i.e., monthly payment).
  • Reply 197 of 335
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

The difference with me and him is he's a public representative for a very large company and has certain responsibilities, I'm on some forum and I don't even use my real name. Whether you care yo admit it or not that's a big difference. And his wrath and callousness is pretty much widely known, he can be a huge prick at times. Even Woz of all people hinted at it a few times from what I've seen. Everyone knows this. People here are always oversensitive to criticisms of Jobs and Apple, it always makes me wonder why.

At the risk of being pigeon-holed as one of those people who defends Jobs due to some subconscious condition I cannot control, I would say that this is somewhat inaccurate.

It seems to me that rather than an irrational defence of someone who is actually a "prick," what sometimes goes on is that we demonise the guy far more than is really necessary or true. I would argue for instance that while his "wrath" is well known and well-documented, I don't see any evidence that he is similarly well-kown for "callousness."

Almost all the stories I have heard or read about Steve Jobs being a tyrant, or flying off the handle at someone, happened years ago, before he was forced out of Apple in fact. In my experience young men in that kind of position often let their ego's get the better of them and most are similarly "prick-ish" if you want to put it that way.

The evidence would tend to indicate that he was never as bad as he was during that one short period, now immortalised by the "Pirates of the Silicon Valley" movie, which has now been so widely circulated that's it's considered almost akin to the Bible in terms of being a true document of what happened. The most recent descriptions of Jobs by people who meet him and work with him that I've read run along the lines of him being "engaging," "entertaining," "funny," and "fun to be around."

I think what happens is that in a predominantly male-oriented culture (the tech geeks), made up of individuals with a very binary world view of things (like Jobs everything is either "fantastic" or "shit"), that a lot of angry, angry young men project their *own "asshole-ishness" onto the figure of Jobs to justify their own anger and frustration. Far from being a bunch of doe-eyed fans praising his every move, what I see is a group of angry young men backhandedly justifying their own anger by projecting it onto Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 198 of 335
    Quote:

Respect is too strong a word, if we're talking about respect than we're talking about people like our parents, people who work .....

This is a person whose leadership has created a lot of wealth for me (e.g., help put my kids through college), and whose company regularly produces a set of products that create value for me as a consumer. More than any other that I can think of.

This is extremely difficult to do in a world that is full of a competition-driven race to the bottom.

Why wouldn't I -- anyone -- respect something like that?!
  • Reply 199 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Far from being a bunch of doe-eyed fans praising his every move, what I see is a group of angry young men backhandedly justifying their own anger by projecting it onto Steve Jobs.

Very well-said.

PS: Not only 'young,' though.... ;-)
  • Reply 200 of 335
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

News Flash: Maybe AI got it right the first time, namely that Steve Jobs indeed "fired off a tersely worded email reply to a user in Sweeden..."

Jezper Söderlund could very well be 1 of the 171 proud residents of Sweeden, Kentucky, who just so happens to blog on a Swedish website....... and who is laughing his ass off while we play Marco - Polo locating his country... Oops, that should read: county. See? It's an easy oversight. And, let's face it, it's certainly an excusable mistake for the overworked and underpaid News Editor in the AI Situation Room.

Hey, don't laugh. I paid-off Security for a peek at the nerve centre, or "Bletchley" as it's called in-house. The place is mayhem; complete chaos to me, a casual observer. Fresh ticker tape freewheels off the Apple News Wire, zings into space and lands atop mountains of yesterday's tape that dutifully delivered its news cycle's blockbuster news. Phones ring off the hook; reporters at every station; news-jockeys sprint from blackboard to blackboard, chalking-up every anonymous but on the record tip, every painstakingly decoded snippet of Steve Jobs' morning tea leaves; the daily Foxconn briefings from the embedded gardening staff -- all used to braid together for us a full picture of half of the story. And, lest I forget, they record every wink and twitch from every market analyst (familiar with the matter), prepared to pronounce after enormous research and group thinking, every hard, cold, speculative fact. It truly is a veritable orchestra of Swiss precision -- all conducted by the Barron himself, Maestro Kasper.

An Automated Slave? Well, sadly so. He's a slave to the highest of arts, the Art of Irrefutable Rumour. Indeed, he wears the burden of irrepressible talent, something he'll carry to his grave, but when someone is a Mozart in a world of Salieris, the Art, well, it becomes more important than the artist.

And oh, how sweet is his art...

You write well. Keep it up!