Clues that suggest new Macbook Pros are coming this week!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 165
    duskdusk Posts: 36member
    The highend Desktop parts GTX 470 and GTX 480 come on the 26th. Mobile parts are not likely to arrive anytime soon. Although it is not completely impossible I think the likelyhood of mobile 400 Series Cards in Q2 2010 is about 3%. Q3, Q4 or Q1 2011 are more likely.

If they really wait for Fermi (what I doubt) than there is no upgrade till at least end of June.
  • Reply 62 of 165
    esquareesquare Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

nVidia Ion 2 with Optimus technology is being used in sub $500 netbooks. There's no reason to believe that a Core i3 Mac Mini wouldn't use it.

There sure is a reason: price of the additional component. But let see about the MacBooks first, shall we? There's not even any sign of those.
  • Reply 63 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dusk View Post

The highend Desktop parts GTX 470 and GTX 480 come on the 26th. Mobile parts are not likely to arrive anytime soon. Although it is not completely impossible I think the likelyhood of mobile 400 Series Cards in Q2 2010 is about 3%. Q3, Q4 or Q1 2011 are more likely.

If they really wait for Fermi (what I doubt) than there is no upgrade till at least end of June.

Didn't Optimus just come out anyway? Perhaps they are finishing that up? I highly doubt Fermi is the reason, too expensive on launch anyway. MBP's never even got a 1GB discrete GPU, I cannot see delaying the switch to Core i's because of this new, as of yet unreleased desktop technology.

Either way I'm still sad about no new MBPs today. See:
  • Reply 64 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kinsykins View Post

Wouldn't that be out of character for Apple to drive a HW releae based on the latest and greatest graphics chip? Since when has Apple been on the forefront of graphics cpu technology?

Because of the nVidia/Intel lawsuit, they can't release a new version of the graphics setup on the current unibodys. But everyone knows that.

Whatever they do release, it will be on the cutting-edge of graphics switching/battery saving technology - just doubtful that the graphics processors will be cutting-edge.

Apple can't just update the current line to the arrandale intel IGP/Discreet graphics setup because it would be a downgrade for the non-discreet macbooks/pros. Also, you just can't see them doing what all the other PC laptop manufacturers are doing.
  • Reply 65 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Well if you need a new one NOWNOWNOW, and Apple doesn't release anything on Tuesday, why don't you just by a year old model on Craigslist or something? They are barely slower than the most recent MBP's and you won't feel like you've been scammed when Apple release Core i5's that are 40% faster than your week-old 2.8 that cost exactly the same amount...

Thanks for the advice, actually. I picked myself up a first generation unibody. It was the high-end model (2.53) so it has the 512mb discreet card and it's more powerful than my Dell. For $1300, which is very good. I think this will hold me over until long after the arrandales come out and I can buy when when they get all the bugs worked out.
  • Reply 66 of 165
    Not sure why this hasn't been on Appleinsider... From Engadget; MBP, MBA, MP pricing potentially leaked by Apple Australia/New Zealand.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/n...y-leaked-by-a/
  • Reply 67 of 165
    zurielzuriel Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reidconti View Post

Not sure why this hasn't been on Appleinsider... From Engadget; MBP, MBA, MP pricing potentially leaked by Apple Australia/New Zealand.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/n...y-leaked-by-a/

this site doen't have them because they are only a glitch in the apple website...but its ok, i search elsewhere all the time for any info...282 days since last update
  • Reply 68 of 165
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

Because of the nVidia/Intel lawsuit, they can't release a new version of the graphics setup on the current unibodys. But everyone knows that.

Whatever they do release, it will be on the cutting-edge of graphics switching/battery saving technology - just doubtful that the graphics processors will be cutting-edge.

Apple can't just update the current line to the arrandale intel IGP/Discreet graphics setup because it would be a downgrade for the non-discreet macbooks/pros. Also, you just can't see them doing what all the other PC laptop manufacturers are doing.

Intel is preventing Nvidia from making chipsets for current Intel processors, not graphics. There's quite a difference, and it only matters for desktops primarily, as it more or less affects Nvidia's SLI technology.

Right now, you can out and buy PC laptops/desktops with Core i CPUs, Nvidia GPU's, and within the next month or so, Optimus.

It's just that Intel wants to control the chipsets, as they say that because their CPUs now use integrated memory controllers, the agreement with Nvidia is invalid.

Whatever Apple isn't doing, doesn't have anything to do with Nvidia/Intel, unless for some reason they were/are using Nvidia chipsets.
  • Reply 69 of 165
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

March 26th (from Wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_Series

I hope this be in Mac mini when I get one around May
  • Reply 70 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Intel is preventing Nvidia from making chipsets for current Intel processors, not graphics. There's quite a difference, and it only matters for desktops primarily, as it more or less affects Nvidia's SLI technology.

Right now, you can out and buy PC laptops/desktops with Core i CPUs, Nvidia GPU's, and within the next month or so, Optimus.

It's just that Intel wants to control the chipsets, as they say that because their CPUs now use integrated memory controllers, the agreement with Nvidia is invalid.

Whatever Apple isn't doing, doesn't have anything to do with Nvidia/Intel, unless for some reason they were/are using Nvidia chipsets.

I hope you're right, but I don't think you are. The longer we wait, the more it looks like Apple is just out and out refusing a chip with an integrated graphics processor for the laptops.

It makes sense being that the Macbook, Mini, and 13"MBP are all stuck on integrated graphics.

There were rumors floating around back in December about Apple telling Intel to stuff the iGPU up their [censored] and it looks like these may turn out to be true.

I have been waiting because I don't want to go from a C2D to another C2D (I have a mid-2008 15" MBP with 256MB 8600). This is going to my brother when I get a new one, and he is calling me everyday asking if the new MBPs are out yet.

I just don't think they are coming for more than waiting on Optimus. I think either Apple has some custom chips coming from Intel, or they are doing something else that in hindsight will make sense.
  • Reply 71 of 165
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Wouldn't that be out of character for Apple to drive a HW releae based on the latest and greatest graphics chip? Since when has Apple been on the forefront of graphics cpu technology?

Since never- but I have a some things that might back me up on this:

1) Why else could they be possibly waiting at this point? All the other mobile hardware for this generation is out already, AFAIK.

2) Nvidia has Optimus. If Apple wants switchable dedicated graphics with an i5/i7 mobile CPU, they need Optimus. Thus they need Nvidia.

3) Nvidia's Fermi offers significant GPGPU benefits over Nividia's current mobile line (the 300/200Ms), which are basically rehashes of the aging 9000M series.

5) Apple has put a *lot* of work into GPGPU support in Snow Leopard.

6) Apple seems to have taken a sudden interest in gaming, what with the iPod Touch coming back (surprisingly?) strong in that area, and now gaming being one of the advertising points on the iPad.

7) Valve has been working with Apple to bring Steam to the Mac. Steam = 3D Gaming. 3D gaming = Performance GPUs. Apple has been looking at hiring a game developer to work for them (if they haven't already). Steam on Mac + Gaming awareness + Superior GPGPU hardware = More & better performance GPUs in Macs?
  • Reply 72 of 165
    esquareesquare Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

Since never- but I have a some things that might back me up on this

Most of this hinges on the assumption that the GPU will be an NVidia...
  • Reply 73 of 165
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Esquare View Post

Most of this hinges on the assumption that the GPU will be an NVidia...

Does ATI have anything to offer?
  • Reply 74 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Does ATI have anything to offer?

http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/NOTEB...-graphics.aspx

My guess, is that if Apple used AMD, they would pick the Mobile 5600-series. AMD provides support for OpenCL as well, since Apple opened it up, and it can support OpenGL 3.2, although they haven't finished the driver yet.
  • Reply 75 of 165
    Quote:

Since never- but I have a some things that might back me up on this:

1) Why else could they be possibly waiting at this point? All the other mobile hardware for this generation is out already, AFAIK.

2) Nvidia has Optimus. If Apple wants switchable dedicated graphics with an i5/i7 mobile CPU, they need Optimus. Thus they need Nvidia.

3) Nvidia's Fermi offers significant GPGPU benefits over Nividia's current mobile line (the 300/200Ms), which are basically rehashes of the aging 9000M series.

5) Apple has put a *lot* of work into GPGPU support in Snow Leopard.

6) Apple seems to have taken a sudden interest in gaming, what with the iPod Touch coming back (surprisingly?) strong in that area, and now gaming being one of the advertising points on the iPad.

7) Valve has been working with Apple to bring Steam to the Mac. Steam = 3D Gaming. 3D gaming = Performance GPUs. Apple has been looking at hiring a game developer to work for them (if they haven't already). Steam on Mac + Gaming awareness + Superior GPGPU hardware = More & better performance GPUs in Macs?

I'm stealing this from engadget:

Quote:

We're only a week away from their grand unveiling, but already we've got word of the specs for NVIDIA's high end GTX 480 and GTX 470 cards. Priced at $499, the 480 will offer 480 shader processors, a 384-bit interface to 1.5GB of onboard GDDR5 RAM, and clock speeds of 700MHz, 1,401MHz, and 1,848MHz for the core, shaders and memory, respectively. The 470 makes do with 446 SPs, slower clocks, and a 320-bit memory interface, but it's also priced at a more sensible $349. The TDPs of these cards are pretty spectacular too, with 225W for the junior model and 295W for the full-fat card. Sourced by VR Zone, these numbers are still unofficial, but they do look to mesh well with what we already know of the hardware, including a purported 5-10 percent benchmarking advantage for the GTX 480 over ATI's HD 5870. Whether the price and power premium is worth it will be up to you and the inevitable slew of reviews to decide.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/19/n...ricing-emerge/

The 5870 starts around $420, and has a TDP of 188 W.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20090914/ati-...a-tdp-of-188w/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-476-_-Product

I can't see Apple touching Fermi with a 10 ft pole right now, besides a BTO option on Mac Pro. If Apple goes with Optimus, they'll probably pair it with the GT330 or 335, because it's safe and relatively proven tech, since it's just a re-branded GT2xx. I don't see Apple going cutting edge either, as they cater to the prosumer market, those users don't care about GPGPU or OpenCL, other than it might sound cool, and it could also hamper stability, while drivers get worked out.
  • Reply 76 of 165
    So when will it come out?

My aluminium MacBookPro just died on me.

I am not too thrilled with the current MBP black screen and plastic black keys.

Besides more power and greater technology, I know it sounds superficial but this is my third aluminium mbp and I hope they release with a new look and exciting design.
  • Reply 77 of 165
    vsighivsighi Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moustache View Post

So when will it come out?

My aluminium MacBookPro just died on me.

I am not too thrilled with the current MBP black screen and plastic black keys.

Besides more power and greater technology, I know it sounds superficial but this is my third aluminium mbp and I hope they release with a new look and exciting design.

No one knows exactly!?

I will prefer the same design but more horse power - Nvidia / Optimus switchable dedicated graphics with an Intel i7, SSD Drive standard?and an adaptor to add my Christmas tree
  • Reply 78 of 165
    i am typing this on a second generation 550 t-book. hope i'll be typing on a brand new one very soon.

i am checking here everyday for updates. wonder what the delay is.
  • Reply 79 of 165
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I'm stealing this from engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/19/n...ricing-emerge/

The 5870 starts around $420, and has a TDP of 188 W.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20090914/ati-...a-tdp-of-188w/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-476-_-Product

I can't see Apple touching Fermi with a 10 ft pole right now, besides a BTO option on Mac Pro. If Apple goes with Optimus, they'll probably pair it with the GT330 or 335, because it's safe and relatively proven tech, since it's just a re-branded GT2xx. I don't see Apple going cutting edge either, as they cater to the prosumer market, those users don't care about GPGPU or OpenCL, other than it might sound cool, and it could also hamper stability, while drivers get worked out.

Yeah...except those ratings are for the desktop cards, not the notebook variants for which no info has been released. Nobody in their right mind would put a desktop card in a laptop.

I'm basing my Fermi assumption on the fact that Nvidia has Optimus and AMD/ATI doesn't.
  • Reply 80 of 165
    Quote:

Yeah...except those ratings are for the desktop cards, not the notebook variants for which no info has been released. Nobody in their right mind would put a desktop card in a laptop.

I'm basing my Fermi assumption on the fact that Nvidia has Optimus and AMD/ATI doesn't.

Obviously not, but something like the 9400m has a TDP of 12 W, high-end mobile GPUs can hit >50 W. I know Nvidia has Optimus, but my whole point, is that Fermi really isn't that good. (I have no idea what AMD's mobile GPU's TDP is, but I'm guessing 15-20 W for their IGPs).

If you're interested in battery life, than Optimus is a serious option, but if you want better GPU performance on the high-end, now, then it's AMD.

BTW, there is an Optimus-equipped, Core i3 laptop from Asus out right now ($899):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=34-220-706

I still think Apple releases updated Macs around the Steam launch.