Intel 'Gulftown' CPU announcement fuels rumors of new Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER][CENTER]Why are rumors suddenly being fueled now?

Intel's i3/i5/i7 processors have been around for over 7 months now, and Apple still doesn't offer any of them in their upper-line computers

So much for providing 'leading edge' technology.

\

[/CENTER][/CENTER]

My observation would be that Apple only makes one desktop, the MacPro and it offers 2 quad core xeons.

It is useful to consider the iMac and macmini as laptops cause at a component level that's what they use. That said the iMac does have an i7 version.

So your point is... Or maybe your tagline says it for you?
  • Reply 42 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

They restrict the number of desktop models to make a point about how their laptop sales exceed desktop sales. They'd rather have an unsuccessful laptop (MB Air) than a new successful desktop. And since I know someone will respond with "ZOMG!!! How do you know MB Air is unsuccessful?!?!" - I live in San Francisco, the Mac capital of the US ,where so many residents have seemingly unlimited disposable income, and in the giant sea of Macs everywhere you go, I rarely see an Air.

So you could say your sample size was limited... Just kidding I also suspect it is not such a winner when compared to the 13". Would like one if work would pay for it though...
  • Reply 43 of 71
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

I've been around the country recently for two months and haven't seen a Air in the wild yet.

People keeping them in a special case or something for support? They are rather thin and fragile.

15" MacBook Pro's I see the most with a few Hummer 17" and a good dose of black or white MacBooks.

I saw an Mac Air at the Portland Maine Jetport Monday ? being used no less

Skip
  • Reply 44 of 71
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member
    When will they update MBP?

I am ready to buy anything already.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

No Blu-Ray, but matte screens for all MBP's.

yeah, that's too, we noot matte screens for all MBP.

I would like to have for iMac as well.

they can have those only glossy for devices which require touch controls, but for iMac and MBP (all) please - we want matte.

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/
  • Reply 46 of 71
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Intel's i3/i5/i7 processors have been around for over 7 months now, and Apple still doesn't offer any of them in their upper-line computers

\

[/CENTER][/CENTER]

They only release server grade quality machines so they can rice gouge you plus the proprietary ram really nail you. No ways around it that I know of except a hackntosh.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

That is one of the most inane things I have heard.

Go read this article:

http://www.mobileedgeblog.com/2009/0...tops-sales-up/

Industry wide, people are simply buying laptops, and desktop purchases are ridiculously rare.

The reasons are simple. A laptop can serve the purpose of a desktop, but not vice versa. Besides, laptops nowadays are cheap (Apple's cheapest laptop is only a couple of hundred dollars more than the cheapest desktop, and in PC land, the price differences are even smaller).

More importantly, however, laptops are powerful enough to do anything 90% of the computer buying public wants to do.

Simply, Desktops, in their current form have outlived their usefulness.

That being said, I think Apple, with the iPad, might actually be the savior of the desktop....

these desktops still have a place. some people need the horsepower for specialized apps and the extra slots and drive bays, and also, this is a decent alternative for a server rather than buying one of the super expensive rack mounted ones. not saying they are going to selll a huge number but i am glad they still produce these.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    Quote:

I've been around the country recently for two months and haven't seen a Air in the wild yet.

People keeping them in a special case or something for support? They are rather thin and fragile.

15" MacBook Pro's I see the most with a few Hummer 17" and a good dose of black or white MacBooks.

thin and fragile? have you ever used one? my boss has 2. from a support perspective the lack of a network port and at least 2 usb is my only complaint. otherwise the air is the best light weight laptop out there. solid, snappy response, elegant design.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

They only release server grade quality machines so they can rice gouge you plus the proprietary ram really nail you. No ways around it that I know of except a hackntosh.

Hate to break it to you, but the RAM isn't proprietary. Not that they don't gouge you on it if you buy it through them. I doubt anyone with a clue does though, it's pretty inexpensive from online retailers.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:

\

[/CENTER][/CENTER]

The Xeons that Apple uses are enterprise-class versions of the i7, so what's your point?
  • Reply 51 of 71
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I would buy a $1000 MacMini tomorrow if it had an i7, 6 gigs of RAM, and an SSD.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Also, I'd be very happy if you could show me cheap RAM that are fully buffered, with ECC and extra coolingpieces. From "random vendor", it's not much cheaper than from Apple and if you buy it from apple you don't have to worry that they won't work and you have to send them back etc.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boomhowler View Post

Also, I'd be very happy if you could show me cheap RAM that are fully buffered, with ECC and extra coolingpieces. From "random vendor", it's not much cheaper than from Apple and if you buy it from apple you don't have to worry that they won't work and you have to send them back etc.

Mac Pro RAM hasn't been FB-DIMM for ages, it's just 1066 DDR3 ECC ram. The stuff is inexpensive (compared to Apple prices) at most online retailers. Even the older DDR2 FB-DIMMs aren't that expensive if you have an older Mac Pro.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I would buy a $1000 MacMini tomorrow if it had an i7, 6 gigs of RAM, and an SSD.

I could see the possibility of an i7 MacMini and maybe even 6GB of RAM (though this is a really odd amount), but no way are you going to get one with an SSD for under $1k. Heck, the 128GB SSD upgrade on a MBP is a $300 upgrade option alone. I don't see this as being in the cards for a couple of years. Maybe when SSD drives comprise close to 50% of the drives on the market and the cost difference is much less extreme. My guess is the price on what you are describing would be closer to $1500 than $1000, and there's just no way Apple is going to build a Mini at that price point.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

thin and fragile? have you ever used one? my boss has 2. from a support perspective the lack of a network port and at least 2 usb is my only complaint. otherwise the air is the best light weight laptop out there. solid, snappy response, elegant design.

Yea, makes it rather difficult to properly set up Wifi without a Ethernet port and some places you go all they offer is a CAT5 to get online as there is too much interference.

Also the storage space is very limited on SSD devices and the price high, I've already upgrade the hard drive space in my MBP twice in three years.

With a Air one can't do that and is stuck relying upon dragging portable storage around and the complexities around that. Sure there is MobileMe, but it demands a fast and secure connection, kind of hard to find anywhere but at home or the office.

I would get a Air provided it came with 2TB of storage and a bootable SDXC speed capable flush mounted port, and a combined USB 3/Firewire 800/400/Ethernet port or adapter combination with simultaneous connection ability.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atmin View Post

new macbook pro will comes with dual cpu

x86 Gulftown

arm Apple A4

dual boot with iphone OS and OSX

Launch 27Mar

OK. I'll take the troll bait...

You're NUTS!!! Absolutely everything here is completely ridiculous.

Although, I'll hope that you're correct on the launch date.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

My observation would be that Apple only makes one desktop, the MacPro and it offers 2 quad core xeons.

It is useful to consider the iMac and macmini as laptops cause at a component level that's what they use. That said the iMac does have an i7 version.

So your point is... Or maybe your tagline says it for you?

[CENTER]

Your observation is certainly not based in reality, because (regardless of components used) not a single rational person on earth considers the iMac a laptop computer by any stretch of the imagination.

You're simply trying to justify your misguided position, and this case failing.

The fact is, Apple's only laptops are the MacBook and MacBook Pro, and there simply are no i3/i5/i7 powered MacBook/MackBook Pros at this time.

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 58 of 71
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Hate to break it to you, but the RAM isn't proprietary. Not that they don't gouge you on it if you buy it through them. I doubt anyone with a clue does though, it's pretty inexpensive from online retailers.

third party RAM isn't supported. we switched to HP RAM for our HP servers years ago due to issues with Viking and Kingston. HP refused to support any issue that may have been due to RAM until we installed HP RAM
  • Reply 59 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tschunde View Post

go and download the movies you want to watch... there are so many sources where you can get fullhd movies...

concerning the MacBook Pro: I got a late 2006 MBP and seriously want my new MBP to have a different processor line than my 3 1/2 year old model! This is so stupid... Apple seems to be waiting for the next Core i version.

you dont seem to understand i prefer Blu-Ray discs. to own and repeat view. especially kids titles. why would i want to take up valuable hard drive space?? i dont.

what about those of us with netflix or rental titles from elsewhere? we just want to stick the disc in our MBP and hit play. not be forced to goto itunes and pay apple.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    Quote:

Oh, I doubt BlueRay DVD movie playback will ever come to Mac's. Steve seems to really want to kill off any mechanical parts to consumer level Mac's and laptops.

Then you clearly don't understand the professional video editing industry.