Intel 'Gulftown' CPU announcement fuels rumors of new Mac Pro

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

third party RAM isn't supported. we switched to HP RAM for our HP servers years ago due to issues with Viking and Kingston. HP refused to support any issue that may have been due to RAM until we installed HP RAM

I'm not sure what this proves... the original comment was that the ram is proprietary, which it isn't. In addition, we're talking about workstations not servers... it shouldn't be an issue to shut them down to replace the original DIMMs for Apple support if they complain about 3rd party RAM.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

When will they update MBP?

I am ready to buy anything already.

I'm keeping my 5-year-old G4 together with duct tape waiting for the launch of the next-gen MBPs; the battery holds about 5 minutes of juice, four keys have worked loose, the screen has two horizontal lines running across it, the back-lit keys don't, booting up evokes a cacophonic chorus of clicking and clanking (no kidding) oh yeah and the hard drive disappeared, so I'm running off an iomega external

Make it today PLEASE
  • Reply 63 of 71
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

They only release server grade quality machines so they can rice gouge you plus the proprietary ram really nail you. No ways around it that I know of except a hackntosh.

"rice gouge you" ???

Man, if it's uncooked, then that's gotta hurt.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

No Blu-Ray, but matte screens for all MBP's.

Great idea for MBP with some minor changes slight change - matte as an OPTION for MBP's.

I cannot really see adding Blu-Ray as long as the license is so expensive. I think they know this is till a (relatively) small group of folks that really want this - before everyone jumps on me let me qualify. The Mac Pro is a fairly small subset of the Macs sold (many more iMacs and MB/MBPs). That being the case it is hard for me to imagine Apple doing the Engineering work on OS X to make it compliant with the secure path issues. I think the cost of adding the drive (especially as an option) is minor (maybe $300 option from Apple) but the potential impact on OS X for all of us is something I would not want to have to deal with as a developer or an end user.

I suspect Apple is continuing to add more security down the pipeline but it is hard to see his as a priority when it probably will not actually generate any extra revenue (or very little).

Fire away mates!
  • Reply 65 of 71
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

I'd love to see this in a new Mac Pro tower (with blu-Ray)

or also in the "mythical Midrage Mac Tower" which never comes. remember the old days when they had alot of desktop models?

damn, they are moving alot of computers, but their desktop line is smaller than it ought to be.

They have oodles of midrange towers for sale - they are called 'Apple Care Expired' and you can only buy them from Craigslist or ebay.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

I've been around the country recently for two months and haven't seen a Air in the wild yet.

People keeping them in a special case or something for support? They are rather thin and fragile.

15" MacBook Pro's I see the most with a few Hummer 17" and a good dose of black or white MacBooks.

I see the Air in academic research circles a lot. Great for giving presentations and easy to transport between home and work.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The 45-nanometer CPUs have been around for 7 months. Apple has clearly been waiting for the die shrink to 32-nanometers. The 45-nanometer parts were an interim step, not really advantageous, especially in terms of thermal envelope which is a big factor for Apple.

The Mac Pro would feature a Xeon processor anyhow which has additional circuitry for interchip communication. The consumer-grade chips aren't intended to be used in a multi-chip configuration.

Apple hasn't been waiting for die shrink. Apple just uses Xeons and nothing new has happened with the Xeon range they use since. Nothing new here. Nothing to do with die size whatsoever.

Actually the Nehalem range of Xeons are the first to be literally identical to their Core i7 cousins. Certain models support dual CPU configurations. That's just different microcode. Otherwise they all sit with the same Tylersburg chipset. So it currently isn't true that there is additional circuitry between the Core i7 and the Nehalem Xeons.

I think this article is mostly bull because as yet there hasn't really been anything solid from Intel that the Core i7-980X will be transitioned to being a Xeon. Also once again they refer to the Core i9 moniker which has already been proven to be complete nonsense. A new Xeon line-up is due and therefore a new Mac Pro, but the release of the Core i7-980X shouldn't even be related because Apple doesn't use Intel Desktop processors. AppleInsider should be watching out for the launch of new Xeons. Not Core i7's.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

these desktops still have a place. some people need the horsepower for specialized apps and the extra slots and drive bays, and also, this is a decent alternative for a server rather than buying one of the super expensive rack mounted ones. not saying they are going to selll a huge number but i am glad they still produce these.

Not only that but one of the largest forces out their besides gaming is the consumer musician and they don't have $3000 for a server workstation but DO need slots for plug INS, HD space, and so on so the iMac won't do. Even the express slot is missed on the 15" so I hope someday Apple goes back to decent priced $1499,mac pros using the i7/9 chips. Huge market for that. Or as another said the way around that is a hackntosh which due to the bios and fsb/ multiplier can overclock to blazzing speeds for a fraction of the cost.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    'Tis true. Hexa-core processors are a-coming. Not sure what needs to be said. Benchmarks of the desktop version are out, performance is exactly like a quad-core of the same clock speed, only with two more cores added. 32nm process keeps power consumption the same as 45nm quads.

Drop-in replacement for the current i7/Xeons, no new motherboard or chipset needed. That about sums it up.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

I could see the possibility of an i7 MacMini and maybe even 6GB of RAM (though this is a really odd amount), but no way are you going to get one with an SSD for under $1k. Heck, the 128GB SSD upgrade on a MBP is a $300 upgrade option alone. I don't see this as being in the cards for a couple of years. Maybe when SSD drives comprise close to 50% of the drives on the market and the cost difference is much less extreme. My guess is the price on what you are describing would be closer to $1500 than $1000, and there's just no way Apple is going to build a Mini at that price point.

The 128 is still prohibitive at its prices, but I was thinking more like a 32 or 64 gb SSD built in. That would bring the price down considerably.

It doesn't matter after all. Just get the fast read/write speeds for Apps, and buy yourself a 1 TB external if you don't already have one. Internal storage size is really not important, only that it be fast.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tschunde View Post

go and download the movies you want to watch... there are so many sources where you can get fullhd movies....

Who Want's to clog up there hard drive with all those movies. I would rather rent or bring along what movies I want to see on a disc.