Barnes & Noble announces intent to release iPad e-reader app

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

My point is Apple would NEVER allow an APP that provided a method of buying books from Amazon or B&N ... not WITHOUT Apple getting their 30% cut which something that neither Amazon nor B&N could likely be able to do given the already publicized pricing data.

Then again Apple would likely STILL deny such APPs even if it did agree to giving Apple its cut.

What does this have to do with you thinking Apple will ban this Barnes & Noble iPad app? Like the current app on the iPhone (that Apple has already approved) the monetary transaction would be done through Safari, and not in the application itself.
  • Reply 62 of 107
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

What does this have to do with you thinking Apple will ban this Barnes & Noble iPad app? Like the current app on the iPhone (that Apple has already approved) the monetary transaction would be done through Safari, and not in the application itself.

Yes... as I said NO EBOOK APP would EVER BE APPROVED if THE APP enabled the user ti BUY EBOOKS from non iTunes sources (again to be clear ... buying content from within the confines of the APP). Apple can't prevent people from using Safari to shop websites (tho I'm betting they'd like to find a way to selectively do just that) and they can't prevent an APP from receiving content from the web but again if I were a betting man they'd love to pick and choose what sites were blocked if they though they could get away with it.

So B&N has worked within the rules and regs and are making the best of it.

Would they RATHER have their EBOOK READER APP provide a way to buy books without resorting to Safari? Yes I'm quite certain they would... but the can't.

So it seems we both agree...
  • Reply 63 of 107
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Don't get me wrong I like Apple products and have been purchasing them for years. That being said.... the idea that Apple could (and yes this is a long shot) one day control all of the digital distribution of movies, music, TV episodes (ones put up for sale by the studio) , books, audiobooks, comic books, NEWSPAPERS, magazines, SCHOOLBOOKS, etc, etc makes me extremely upset. And warning bells should be going off in everyone else's heads (Apple Fan or not).

Didn't I read that WalMart is top three in books and music sales? Where's the outrage there?

Relax, Apple's in the distribution business to sell hardware. They have no interest in being a publisher (too much work for not enough payback).
  • Reply 64 of 107
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Yes... as I said NO EBOOK APP would EVER BE APPROVED if THE APP enabled the user ti BUY EBOOKS from non iTunes sources (again to be clear ... buying content from within the confines of the APP). Apple can't prevent people from using Safari to shop websites (tho I'm betting they'd like to find a way to selectively do just that) and they can't prevent an APP from receiving content from the web but again if I were a betting man they'd love to pick and choose what sites were blocked if they though they could get away with it.

Would they RATHER have their EBOOK READER APP provide a way to buy books without resorting to Safari? Yes I'm quite certain they would... but the can't.

Apple charges for in app purchases for a very specific reason, they actually facilitate the transaction using their servers and your iTunes account with them. In other words, they provide a service that they charge for. The reasons why they don't permit other transactions within the confines of the app are certainly debatable, and Barnes and Noble would obviously rather do the entire transaction within the app. I do agree that any app that tried to have in app purchases not using Apples service would be denied, but that wasn't what you were initially arguing.

You basically suggested that this particular app didn't have a hope of being accepted by Apple for reasons that were completely untrue.

1)iBooks is not a native app

2)The B&N app doesn't have true in app purchases, they are playing within the rules as laid out by Apple

3)Similar applications (including one from B&N) are already in the App Store

You jumped to a conclusion not based on systematic evaluation of the facts, but to one driven by fear and pessimism. That is what I disagreed with.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    Quote:

Apple charges for in app purchases for a very specific reason, they actually facilitate the transaction using their servers and your iTunes account with them. In other words, they provide a service that they charge for. The reasons why they don't permit other transactions within the confines of the app are certainly debatable, and Barnes and Noble would obviously rather do the entire transaction within the app. I do agree that any app that tried to have in app purchases not using Apples service would be denied, but that wasn't what you were initially arguing.

You basically suggested that this particular app didn't have a hope of being accepted by Apple for reasons that were completely untrue.

1)iBooks is not a native app

2)The B&N app doesn't have true in app purchases, they are playing within the rules as laid out by Apple

3)Similar applications (including one from B&N) are already in the App Store

You jumped to a conclusion not based on systematic evaluation of the facts, but to one driven by fear and pessimism. That is what I disagreed with.

I believe iBooks was not included as a core app for the specific reason of leaving the device open to Kindle/Nook type apps without violating the "core functionality" provisions.

Apple is first and foremost a hardware company and this is the best way to enable Kindle and Nook owners to switch to the iPad.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

We can agree to disagree but my entire issue was not with an ebook reader being made available for the iPad... after all they already exist on the iPhone why wouldn't they? My 'problem' (not a problem actually cause it doesn't really bother me one way or another) is if B&N tried to do a full-service ebook application that allowed customers to browse and buy books directly from the reader-APP.

You can try and tell me I felt differently but somehow I think I know what I was getting at when I posted my mock-rejection letter. Even in my 'poke' at Apple with the 'REJECTION' in red text made it clear the app in question was allowing in app purchases.
  • Reply 67 of 107
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

We can agree to disagree but my entire issue was not with an ebook reader being made available for the iPad... after all they already exist on the iPhone why wouldn't they? My 'problem' (not a problem actually cause it doesn't really bother me one way or another) is if B&N tried to do a full-service ebook application that allowed customers to browse and buy books directly from the reader-APP.

I believe the Nook has exactly what you are looking for. Available for $259 here.
  • Reply 68 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Did you miss the MASS MARKETERS that I went out of my way to emphasize? (since I knew very well that individual bands were doing sales) I know you had to have seen it since you included it in your quote... What I'm talking about is MASS DIGITAL MUSIC SELLERS (thousands or millions of different titles or tracks) and somehow I think you knew that all along.

If Steven King wanted to make all of his books for sale via an APP (and had the authority to do so) then yes Apple is going to allow it... Even if some never heard of author wants to sell THEIR works via an APP then sure Apple isn't going to stop them.

This I thought would have been made fairly clear to most all readers when wrote:

" B&N or Amazon or any other mass marketer of digital media content "

I even did over the top EMPHASIS on mass marketer because I knew if I didn't people would throw up examples of individual artists/individuals selling their own content. Oh well even when you try to stop people from throwing up cases that aren't pertinent to the main argument.

Again we seem to have a hard time keep on track here...

- This is not about APPS that ONLY allow one to READ competitors ebooks

- This is ALL about APP that would allow users to buy content from MASS MARKETERS other that iTunes.

If you look, you can buy books in the app store that, while they aren't from Amazon, are from the publishers themselves. The point I was making is that songs and books, magazines are available at the prices the publishers want to sell them at, from free, to prices that are way too high. And that not all music is in iTunes at those prices either.

It doesn't have to be a mass marketeer like Amazon for it to matter. But you CAN buy music from Amazon through Safari on the iPhone, or Touch that will play on them. Apple gets no cut either. So I don't know what you're talking about.

How often does one store sell books through another store? When it happens through Amazon, from small affiliates, they get a cut, but then, they don't allow B&N to sell books for the Kindle either, and B&N doesn't allow Amazon to sell books through the Nook. And neither sells books from the other through their web sites, so I fail to see your point.

Quote:

My point is Apple would NEVER allow an APP that provided a method of buying books from Amazon or B&N ... not WITHOUT Apple getting their 30% cut which something that neither Amazon nor B&N could likely be able to do given the already publicized pricing data.

Then again Apple would likely STILL deny such APPs even if it did agree to giving Apple its cut.

Well, I just showed that neither Amazon or B&N would allow that, so what?

But, Apple DOES allow you to buy books from the Kindle app, and the B&N app without taking ANY cut. You just have the slight inconvenience of going through Safari. So you CAN buy books through an app sold in Apple's App Store without giving Apple any cut. Those are the mass marketeers you were speaking about that you think you can't buy books from that will play on Apple devices?

Show me where you can buy books for the Kindle or the Nook through the App Store that will play on them, or that you can buy them from there at all.

You can't.

Apple wins on this one.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    Quote:

WOW....

Don't get me wrong I like Apple products and have been purchasing them for years. That being said.... the idea that Apple could (and yes this is a long shot) one day control all of the digital distribution of movies, music, TV episodes (ones put up for sale by the studio) , books, audiobooks, comic books, NEWSPAPERS, magazines, SCHOOLBOOKS, etc, etc makes me extremely upset. And warning bells should be going off in everyone else's heads (Apple Fan or not).

Based on your reaction to the concept you act as if it would be an okay thing to let happen if it were to occur.

I certainly hope I'm just reading you wrong...

Oh and I couldn't resist...

It's ok because it's LEGAL. That doesn't mean it's a great thing to happen. I'm not even happy about these big media companies owning movie studios, newspapers, magazines, radio stations, and Tv networks.

Quote:

Tell that to AT&T (the REAL one that was started back in 1877 - aka "Ma Bell") :LOL:

Yes I know Government created regulated monopolies are not the same thing....

That was for a totally different reason. It was because the government felt that innovation was being stifled by it. It started with personal faxes. If AT&T allowed things to be connected to the network without getting frantic about it, it might still exist.
  • Reply 70 of 107
    Quote:

You're playing with words here. You're clearly wrong on this. Give it up.
  • Reply 71 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I believe the Nook has exactly what you are looking for. Available for $259 here.

It's not what he's looking for because B&N doesn't allow anyone to purchase books from anyone but them.
  • Reply 72 of 107
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    This is good news to read.

I use the B&N reader app on my iPod touch and really like it. It's not surprising B&N beat Amazon to this.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Cool! Will it suck as bad as the software in the Nook?

What's wrong with the software on the Nook?
  • Reply 74 of 107
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinkim View Post

Wonder if Apple will approve such an app seeing as it will duplicate functionality (e.g. an e-reader app) Apple will be including with the iPad. I also wonder what will happen with the Kindle application.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iBooks e-reader application, which includes access to the iBookstore, will not come standard on the iPad. Instead, users will have to download the iBooks application from the App Store onto their iPad.

I have never heard of any app being rejected because it duplicates the functionality of another app store app.

If I understand the issue with Google Voice correctly, it was all about using unpublished APIs or stuff like that, because Skype is available.
  • Reply 75 of 107
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not what he's looking for because B&N doesn't allow anyone to purchase books from anyone but them.

From the Nook, but you can buy books in other retailers like Fictionwise, Baen or any which has epub or ereader formats. Even you can buy at Sony store
  • Reply 76 of 107
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

My guess is that it's not shipped with the ipad because it's an USA feature

Good point. Hopefully it will be available in some other countries as well.
  • Reply 77 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

If I understand the issue with Google Voice correctly, it was all about using unpublished APIs or stuff like that, because Skype is available.

No, it was rejected for duplicating iPhone functionality, not for using private API's
  • Reply 78 of 107
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Wow, I always assumed it would come with the iPad (not that it's such a bid deal to download it from the app store) and never bothered to check. It features so prominently as one of it's core features, you'd think it would ship with the iPad.

The general consensus is that this is because Apple wants to be able to update iBooks without requiring a full OS update.

But it makes no difference whether it's "native" or not, or how you get the app. The iPad is designed to be an e-reader, among other things.
  • Reply 79 of 107
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

What's wrong with the software on the Nook?

The one I tried was so slow and unresponsive as to be basically unusable.

Edit: ...and I *wanted* to love it.
  • Reply 80 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

The one I tried was so slow and unresponsive as to be basically unusable.

Edit: ...and I *wanted* to love it.

Upgrading the firmware to 1.1 was like night and day and 1.2 firm is even better