Barnes & Noble announces intent to release iPad e-reader app

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Bookseller Barnes & Noble revealed Thursday its plans to release its bookstore and e-reading software for the iPad with an application that would compete with Apple's own iBookstore.



The free Barnes & Noble eReader application was released last July and now offers more than a million different titles. The company said it will release a new, iPad-specific version of the software around the time the iPad launches.



"Designed specifically for the iPad," the company said, "our new B&N eReader will give our customers access to more than one million eBooks, magazines and newspapers in the Barnes & Noble eBookstore, as well as the existing content in their Barnes & Noble digital library. (That includes eBooks and content customers have downloaded to their nook eBook reader.)"



Because the Barnes & Noble eReader application would compete with Apple's own iBookstore, it is unknown whether the Cupertino, Calif., company would actually allow the bookseller's new third-party application to be released on the App Store.



Apple's iBooks e-reader application, which includes access to the iBookstore, will not come standard on the iPad. Instead, users will have to download the iBooks application from the App Store onto their iPad.



Barnes & Noble competitor Amazon released its own Kindle application for the iPhone and iPod touch last year. The online retailer has not yet announced any plans for an application for the iPad.



Both Amazon and Barnes & Noble also have their own black-and-white e-ink readers, dubbed the Kindle and Nook, respectively. One recent study found that consumer interest in the Kindle dropped sharply after Apple introduced its multimedia iPad, which features a full color LCD screen. The iPad goes on sale in the U.S. on April 3, and pre-orders begin Friday.
«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 107
    That's great! Competition is a good thing.
  • Reply 2 of 107
    Maybe it's time to ask what major publishing or "book" related company ISN'T going to have its own iPad app?
  • Reply 3 of 107
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Competition aside, variety aside, choice aside, doesn't B&N have their own ereader "The Nook"? What stock are they putting in their eco system of Nook and B&N Bookstore versus Apple's iPad and iBookstore? Is the handwriting already on the wall for these folks even before Apple has sold their first iPad?



    One word: "WOW!"
  • Reply 4 of 107
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    Competition aside, variety aside, choice aside, doesn't B&N have their own ereader "The Nook"? What stock are they putting in their eco system of Nook and B&N Bookstore versus Apple's iPad and iBookstore? Is the handwriting already on the wall for these folks even before Apple has sold their first iPad?



    One word: "WOW!"





    Sort of like the Kindle on iPhone. They just want to sell books.
  • Reply 5 of 107
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,716member
    Cool! Will it suck as bad as the software in the Nook?
  • Reply 6 of 107
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider


    Because the Barnes & Noble eReader application would compete with Apple's own iBookstore, it is unknown whether the Cupertino, Calif., company would actually allow the bookseller's new third-party application to be released on the App Store.



    I figured it was a given that competing ereader apps were permissible on the iPad. I hope Apple doesn't plan to restrict it to iBooks only.
  • Reply 7 of 107
    Lots of Kindles and Nooks coming to eBay next month.
  • Reply 8 of 107
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Official AppStore Application Submission



    Name: Barnes & Noble Ebook Reader

    Developer: Barnes & Noble

    In-App-Purchasing: YES



    ***** REJECTED *****



    Reason:



    - Duplicates native device functionality

    - Would cause ENORMOUS confusion with our users who are too dumb to know what APP they themselves DOWNLOADED and then LAUNCHED. We are therefore FORCED to protect them from these potential confusions ourselves for the good of our product and our customer. Blinding lit from our Halo don't transmit too well over the internet but you can trust us its glowing BRIGHT WHITE.



    Comment:



    This APP is clearly unacceptable! Please resolve the issues noted above and kindly resubmit at your earliest convenience. However you might want to look at Google Voice for how things will likely turn out.



    Have a nice day!



    AppStore Approval Manager
  • Reply 9 of 107
    Wonder if Apple will approve such an app seeing as it will duplicate functionality (e.g. an e-reader app) Apple will be including with the iPad. I also wonder what will happen with the Kindle application.
  • Reply 10 of 107
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,067member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post


    Lots of Kindles and Nooks coming to eBay next month.



    Why? Do you think that someone who wants an ereader will exchange it for an iPad?
  • Reply 11 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 30,850member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    Official AppStore Application Submission



    Name: Barnes & Noble Ebook Reader

    Developer: Barnes & Noble

    In-App-Purchasing: YES



    ***** REJECTED *****



    Reason:



    - Duplicates native device functionality

    - Would cause ENORMOUS confusion with our users who are too dumb to know what APP they themselves DOWNLOADED and then LAUNCHED. We are therefore FORCED to protect them from these potential confusions ourselves for the good of our product and our customer. Blinding lit from our Halo don't transmit too well over the internet but you can trust us its glowing BRIGHT WHITE.



    Comment:



    This APP is clearly unacceptable! Please resolve the issues noted above and kindly resubmit at your earliest convenience. However you might want to look at Google Voice for how things will likely turn out.



    Have a nice day!



    AppStore Approval Manager



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinkim View Post


    Wonder if Apple will approve such an app seeing as it will duplicate functionality (e.g. an e-reader app) Apple will be including with the iPad. I also wonder what will happen with the Kindle application.



    Guys, let's not think negatively.



    Apple could have a problem doing that. If they won't allow those apps, such as the ones from Amazon and B&N, then the ones such as Stanza, and the others I use on my iPhone wouldn't likely work either.



    But then what would happen to those apps on the iP/T platform, which is a subset of the iPad version? I don't see how Apple could take that away. And as the other article earlier stated, the Apple book app will have to be downloaded from Apple. If that's true, then we couldn't buy any books from the iPad. That would get Apple customers ticked, because we couldn't read all the books we've already bought for our iP/T on the iPad. I don't think Apple would want to do that.
  • Reply 12 of 107
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    Official AppStore Application Submission



    Name: Barnes & Noble Ebook Reader

    Developer: Barnes & Noble

    In-App-Purchasing: YES



    ***** REJECTED *****



    Reason:



    - Duplicates native device functionality

    - Would cause ENORMOUS confusion with our users who are too dumb to know what APP they themselves DOWNLOADED and then LAUNCHED. We are therefore FORCED to protect them from these potential confusions ourselves for the good of our product and our customer. Blinding lit from our Halo don't transmit too well over the internet but you can trust us its glowing BRIGHT WHITE.



    Comment:



    This APP is clearly unacceptable! Please resolve the issues noted above and kindly resubmit at your earliest convenience. However you might want to look at Google Voice for how things will likely turn out.



    Have a nice day!



    AppStore Approval Manager



    Luckily it doesn't duplicate native device functionality, so this is unlikely.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinkim View Post


    Wonder if Apple will approve such an app seeing as it will duplicate functionality (e.g. an e-reader app) Apple will be including with the iPad. I also wonder what will happen with the Kindle application.



    They are not including it with the iPad. You have to download it from the App Store.
  • Reply 13 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 30,850member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post


    Why? Do you think that someone who wants an ereader will exchange it for an iPad?



    But people who want a book reader, but not an iPad, and yes, there will be plenty of those, will be able to get them for $100, or even less. Assuming that Amazon allows the transfer of the account, that would be worth it to some people.



    While $260 or $490 (for the DX) is too much for many people for what is a basic book reader, devices selling for a fraction of that might not be.
  • Reply 14 of 107
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,067member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    But people who want a book reader, but not an iPad, and yes, there will be plenty of those, will be able to get them for $100, or even less. Assuming that Amazon allows the transfer of the account, that would be worth it to some people.



    While $260 or $490 (for the DX) is too much for many people for what is a basic book reader, devices selling for a fraction of that might not be.



    And why there will be a lot of Kindles/Nooks for $100 or less?



    Peoples will sell like crazies to buy an iPad?
  • Reply 15 of 107
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post


    Why? Do you think that someone who wants an ereader will exchange it for an iPad?



    I do. Of all the possible uses, that one seems most compelling. Indeed, the basic form factor of the device seems to be optimized for that use, despite diminishing the device's overall functionality.



    IMO, the iPad will sell well to folks looking for an eReader, because it has additional functionality thrown into the mix.
  • Reply 16 of 107
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    Official AppStore Application Submission



    Name: Barnes & Noble Ebook Reader...









    <begin kneejerk Apple fanboy response>



    Quote:

    YOU'RE THE DEVIL!! GO BACK TO YOUR WINDOWS MACHINE YOU REDMOND STOOGIE!!



    I'M CRAWLING THROUGH THE INTERNET WIRES TO GET YOU!!! FSCKIN$T($F!!!!!!!!




    <end kneejerk Apple fanboy response>











    disclaimer: just kidding of course.
  • Reply 17 of 107
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 987member
    Awesome. This actually got me to consider Nook 2 in the future.
  • Reply 18 of 107
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Guys, let's not think negatively.



    Negatively?!?! Me?!?!



    I was simply going by track record.



    I don't believe Apple has ever allowed an App to be approved that in turn allowed the user to perform IN APP PURCHASES songs from any of the major iTunes competitors same for TV Shows and Movies. Somehow I think Apple has that all locked up... however since the SDK now provided developers a method of implementing in APP purchases maybe this has/will change... Somehow I still wouldn't see B&N or Amazon or any other mass marketer of digital media content participating in the system (unless they pass along (tack on) the 'apple cut' to the final selling price call it an Apple Tax if you will.



    I could be wrong about this since it's not exactly something I follow that closely but I'm betting I'm not. But if Apple was to approve a B&N app that allowed the person to do in app purchasing via the B&N store instead of the iTunes Book Store I'd be very surprised.
  • Reply 19 of 107
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post


    disclaimer: just kidding of course.



    Nice someone that can appreciate a good (mostly well meaning) dig when they see it... I've said this countless times but believe it or not I'm a really be fan of most of the stuff Apple does. I've own their machines since my first SE30!



    My main gripe with the AppStore is this .. Apple can and DOES reject Apps at their own whim .. they say they follow a set of guidelines but the guidelines are written in such a way to enable them to quite easily reject whatever they don't happen to like.



    'Duplicated Existing Device Functionality'



    Is one of the most OBNOXIOUS reasons for rejection... That can be applied 'at whim' to one app and then not applied to another app that does the same exact thing. It's a trump card.. they pull it out when then need to and put it away until another app that they "just don't like" comes along.



    Anyway.. This dead horse is been beaten far too many times and I will not be replying to any arguments this post might instigate.
  • Reply 20 of 107
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    But people who want a book reader, but not an iPad, and yes, there will be plenty of those, will be able to get them for $100, or even less. Assuming that Amazon allows the transfer of the account, that would be worth it to some people.



    While $260 or $490 (for the DX) is too much for many people for what is a basic book reader, devices selling for a fraction of that might not be.



    The trick is being able to build a reasonably well designed ebook reader at a price low enough that people wont say... Why would I buy this ebook reader when for 50, 75 or maybe even $100 more I can get an iPad that does millions different of things. Everyone is different and will have their own 'price' they'd be willing to pay to get an iPad over an ereader. Any YES of course some people will not care what the iPad can do and want the look of an eInk (ePaper?) based device or whatever.. So yes there will ALWAYS be a certain percentage of the population that will always come down on the side of an eReader and some people in fact might even pay more than the iPad depending on the features of an eReader and the persons situation.



    But for the 'average person' with a somewhat flexible budget the price of a basic ebook reader would have to be fairly low for them not think hard about getting an iPad instead.
Sign In or Register to comment.