Apple limits iPad preorders to two per customer

Comments

• Reply 41 of 151
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Presumably for people who lose theirs.

Or those who want to have one in the office and another at home.

However, since the iPad can be charged using a computer USB then it shouldn't be a problem charging it using the iPhones power adapter. The only advantage with the iPad power adapter is the 6-foot-long cord.
  • Reply 42 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Frivolous complaints can get you banned from this forum.

G.O. A.W.A.Y.

Thanks.
  • Reply 43 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

If the 10W USB Power Adapter is included with the iPad, why is it also sold separately? Just for the 6' power cord? Why don't they just sell the cord by itself? What am I missing here?

One for home, one for the office?
  • Reply 44 of 151
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

G.O. A.W.A.Y.

Thanks.

Your wish is not my command.

Your desires can be handled perfectly well on your end. Take some personal responsibility.
  • Reply 45 of 151
    I just bought two of the 32gb wifis.

One for my mom, and one for me. If I like it, I'll get the 3g model later and give my wifi version to my daughters.

What fun.
  • Reply 46 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Posts that make derogatory statements about other posters will continue to be unceremoniously deleted. Waste your time if you wish.

While I agree, you guys also need a policy for folks that consistently and imperviously detract from every thread by repeating the same negative thing again and again.

Your call, lundy et. al. But I sure hope you'll do something about guys like the iGenius and the TEKSTUDs that regularly hijack many of these threads and make it an unreadable joke.
  • Reply 47 of 151
    Quote:

Frivolous complaints can get you banned from this forum.

Your posts are nothing but a litany of frivolous complaints.
  • Reply 48 of 151
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Why is preordering limited to two per customer a problem? It's not as if you won't be able to buy only two per customer after preordering has ended.

Looks like demand is phenomenal, given that people are complaining about limited preorders, of all things.
  • Reply 49 of 151
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Here's what it meant: The use of artificial scarcity is a common technique to pique consumer interest.

From now on, I'll try to make my statements simple and easy enough for Apple's target demographic to understand.

Why is it that you are unable to respond without being insulting?

Your intent was perfectly clear, but has no value because you have no proof whatsoever that the device is being artificially limited. If such is your contention, you will need to support it with facts.
  • Reply 50 of 151
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Here's what it meant: The use of artificial scarcity is a common technique to pique consumer interest.

This is true. Choke the supply to drive up demand. Pretty basic retail strategy.

Is this what's actually happening, though?
  • Reply 51 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is true. Choke the supply to drive up demand. Pretty basic retail strategy.

I worked in retail for a while, and our basic strategy was "have things on the shelves so people can give us money for them."
  • Reply 52 of 151
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

While I agree, you guys also need a policy for folks that consistently and imperviously detract from every thread by repeating the same negative thing again and again.

Your call, lundy et. al. But I sure hope you'll do something about guys like the iGenius and the TEKSTUDs that regularly hijack many of these threads and make it an unreadable joke.

I have them on my ignore list. It certainly helps to weed out the trolling which is particularly beneficial when viewing on my iPhone. Unfortunately, it doesn't cut them out entirely when anybody replies to their comments.
  • Reply 53 of 151
    Quote:

While artificial scarcity is one plausible explanation for the "only 2 per customer" policy there is another plausible reason; to avoid a lack of product. As we've seen in the past, customers get upset when they can't get product.

I'm sure there are other good reasons as well.

PS. - I agree with the statement by anantksundaram. I'm watching this thread dissolve into absolute crap by the senseless posts and the senseless replies (such as this ps) to iGenius.
  • Reply 54 of 151
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

And sacrifice the 10K+ hits per page?!

By now we all know the trolls I would just ignore them. Replying to them give them exactly what they way.. attention.
  • Reply 55 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Why is it that you are unable to respond without being insulting?

Your intent was perfectly clear, but has no value because you have no proof whatsoever that the device is being artificially limited. If such is your contention, you will need to support it with facts.

I never made any such contention. I said that the "only 2" policy reminded me of the "get a crowd out front" policy. The only contention was that I was reminded.

It is a common technique. It may be that Apple really has problems supplying adequete product to meet demand, but I have no proof of that. There was a repart to that effect a week ago or so, but my impression was that it had been debunked.
  • Reply 56 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

There's no real way for us to know.
  • Reply 57 of 151
    [QUOTE=Quadra 610;1589014

Looks like demand is phenomenal, given that people are complaining about limited preorders, of all things.[/QUOTE]

Looks are sometimes deceiving.
  • Reply 58 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

While artificial scarcity is one plausible explanation for the "only 2 per customer" policy there is another plausible reason; to avoid a lack of product. As we've seen in the past, customers get upset when they can't get product.

Yes. You do far more damage by pissing customers off than you gain by a specious limiting policy. That works for nightclubs; not so much for expensive consumer electronics.

Spread the iPads around, and stop people trying to buy up large quantities and flip them.
  • Reply 59 of 151
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    The limit might be in place to cut down on resale outlets or sites selling them - similar to limiting ticket scalpers.

The two-iPad limit is not that big of deal really. Get over it.
  • Reply 60 of 151
    Quote:

It is a common technique. It may be that Apple really has problems supplying adequete product to meet demand, but I have no proof of that. There was a repart to that effect a week ago or so, but my impression was that it had been debunked.

It takes huge effort to tool up to produce anything as complex as a computer in large numbers, especially one with a new form factor and processor. I have no doubt that ramping supply up will take a while.

I really don't think Apple needs any artificial help in generating buzz - the way your analogous nightclub would - about the iPad. It has received saturation coverage from the moment the keynote ended.