Apple limits iPad preorders to two per customer

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 151
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

What - the 3G antenna from the iPhone suddenly shot up in R&D costs? They had to re-invent it?

Sigh.

Find me a $7 3G radio, then explain to use how the all the other HW, the way it magically connects to the logic board, how the licensing and other fees are somehow waved and why the other HW should be designed with a profit but not the 3G radio. Finally, consider taking even a rudimentary course in business.
  • Reply 142 of 151
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Find me a $7 3G radio, then explain to use how the all the other HW, the way it magically connects to the logic board, how the licensing and other fees are somehow waved and why the other HW should be designed with a profit but not the 3G radio. Finally, consider taking even a rudimentary course in business.

Considering that only the 3G models also have GPS, I would suspect that the iPad 3Gs are using the Infineon chipset for 3G & GPS.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...in_detail.html
  • Reply 143 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Considering that only the 3G models also have GPS, I would suspect that the iPad 3Gs are using the Infineon chipset for 3G & GPS.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...in_detail.html

According to iSuppli's lowball BoM for the 3GS, the 3G components would be about $26, just for the parts.
  • Reply 144 of 151
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michelle_eris View Post

In the original introduction for the iPad, Jobs said that it would be released outside the USA later than within the USA. So why are you surprised that it's not initially available outside the USA?

Actually, part of the issue is most likely telecommunication regulations. That is part of the reason that the 3G version is running later, because the FCC approval for a 3G device is longer than the one for a WiFi device. As far as other countries, I can't blame Apple for focusing on the FCC before moving on to the telecom regulators in other countries.
  • Reply 145 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

One for breakfast, one for dinner. iPad™. It's Appleicious!

Actually, the only joke no one's made about the iPad - that I've yet to see - I'm going to make.

If you pre-ordered 2 iPads (I got one) - I suspect you're using them to snort coke off of.

(is there an app for that? I haven't checked - but if someone with an SDK wants to make "virtual cocaine" as an art-project submission - I'll help with the graphics assets. What sells more - real coke - or iCoke? Anyone want to find out?)
  • Reply 146 of 151
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    So, what are my options going to be come April 3 when I walk into Apple at 9 AM and say, "Hello everyone!" (they know me), "Listen, I reserved a 16 gb iPad.......but is there a chance I could get a 32 gb instead?"
  • Reply 147 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Actually, the only joke no one's made about the iPad - that I've yet to see - I'm going to make.

If you pre-ordered 2 iPads (I got one) - I suspect you're using them to snort coke off of.

(is there an app for that? I haven't checked - but if someone with an SDK wants to make "virtual cocaine" as an art-project submission - I'll help with the graphics assets. What sells more - real coke - or iCoke? Anyone want to find out?)

I think I may actually object to an App that simulates Cocaine use. The last thing we need to do is encourage people of any age to try it. Don't you agree?
  • Reply 148 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

::sigh::

The HW costs considerably more than that, excluding every other associated cost.

Estimate how much. I'd like to see where you get $130 for a 3G radio, not one dollar of which Apple or AT&T could eat.

I think between the two of them, they could have agreed, for the sake of driving sales, to eat the cost of the radio, at least by a hundred dollars. How they would work that out I don't know, but essentially AT&T would pay Apple $50 for every iPad 3G that sold, and Apple would eat $50 itself, equalling out for them. Meanwhile, AT&T gets data payments from the 3G customer without doing a thing (no sale, no contract service, no customer service, nothing...but that $50).

If they had done that, the iPad 3G would be $30 more, not $130. And it would sell A LOT more than it will. *1

*1 That's a common sense observation
  • Reply 149 of 151
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Perhaps it is something we could do ourselves. If we all started by listing our ignored trollers and didn't respond to them directly or indirectly, we just might be able maintain a sense of decorum.

What I would like to see about the ignore list are two things

1. Quicker method of putting someone on my ignore list. Don't want to go to the CP page. Would like to do it straight from that users post. I don't want to report the post. I want to ignore them in general. I have reported posts only to be snapped back at by the admin. Don't need that.

2. If someone quotes someone on my ignore list, I want to see that whole quote/post come up as ignored. I don't want to see the response to someone I am ignoring. This includes the moderators posts who often do it themselves.

As it is, one person could and can be more than one person on these boards and hold entire conversations with themselves and quote themselves ad infinitum. There are also people on these boards that just can't help going after a troll.
  • Reply 150 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I think I may actually object to an App that simulates Cocaine use. The last thing we need to do is encourage people of any age to try it. Don't you agree?

A character from Naked Lunch agreeing to "just say no" - are you insane?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benway

And as an art app - it'd be excellent commentary on drug fetishism meeting tech-fetishism and consumer addictions. Not only apt - but could be good disruptive fun (not saying it WOULD be - but COULD be).

But hey - if you're only looking out for the kiddies - better keep them the hell away from Picasso. He made paintings that depicted people getting bombed by Nazis. You don't want to encourage Neo-Nazi's do you?

Get out of the shallows.
  • Reply 151 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'd like to see where you get $130 for a 3G radio, not one dollar of which Apple or AT&T could eat.

Um.. It's $130 more for the 3G version. That is how I got $130, just like it's $499 for the 16GB WiFi-only iPad. Are we now arguing that HW should be at cost while eating the cost of development, production, licensing, SW and every other associated fees? Please!

Quote:

I think between the two of them, they could have agreed, for the sake of driving sales, to eat the cost of the radio, at least by a hundred dollars. How they would work that out I don't know, but essentially AT&T would pay Apple $50 for every iPad 3G that sold, and Apple would eat $50 itself, equalling out for them. Meanwhile, AT&T gets data payments from the 3G customer without doing a thing (no sale, no contract service, no customer service, nothing...but that $50).

They could have done that, but they didn't. If you don't like it don't buy it. If enough people don't buy it they'll lower the price. I've already expressed how I wished it would have been included with every iPad so 3G signup could be a potential option with every sale without the customer having to chose between size and connection type.

Quote:

If they had done that, the iPad 3G would be $30 more, not $130. And it would sell A LOT more than it will. *1

*1 That's a common sense observation

That isn't common sense, that obviousness and naivety. Of course making a product cheaper means you'll sell more. Losing money on a product means more sales, but it does not mean more profit. As it's been shown using iSuppli's specs the cost for the 3G version is more than the $30 you suggest, so what you are suggesting is that Apple take a financial hit on every single 3G iPad sold. That is the opposite of common sense. Why would anyone at Apple say, "Hey, I've got an idea. Instead of making a profit, let's not make a profit. Better yet, let's lose money on each sale, but on on the 3G version." Oy vey!