NYT: Steve Jobs feels Google betrayed Apple by mimicking iPhone

Comments

• Reply 241 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

I didn't get the word "stupid" being used, but I'll use it. I think it's stupid to waste time making your computer work instead of doing work WITH it. To some people - who time is worth a LOT of money - using inferior tools that embrace time-wasting complexity is the height of stupid.

But unless you've been in that club I suppose it'd be a bit abstract. If I want to tinker for fun, I've got ancient electronics to play with. If I want to consume media, or get work done - keep the jack-of-all-trades-master-of none toys out of my way.

Best line of the article:

" the result is systems that do everything. They're so feature-rich, so complex, that some people can't get them to do anything."

I'd edit it to say - machines that try to do everything and are effectively doing nothing.

Couldn't agree more! Some like to tinker with computers (Windows) I like to make a living in the most efficient, organized way possible! Ergo I use an iMac, MacBook and an iPhone 3Gs (with all the latest SW) and will be getting an iPad 3G shortly instead of buying the MBA and in the process save a lot more cabbage! Thank you very much...

Next purchase will be the iPad, then 2gig timecapsule and then 27" iMac...Golden!
  • Reply 242 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Couldn't agree more! Some like to tinker with computers (Windows) I like to make a living in the most efficient, organized way possible! Ergo I use an iMac, MacBook and an iPhone 3Gs (with all the latest SW) and will be getting an iPad 3G shortly instead of buying the MBA and in the process save a lot more cabbage! Thank you very much...

Next purchase will be the iPad, then 2gig timecapsule and then 27" iMac...Golden!

For those that don't understand he prefers to use a computer that doesn't make him think.

Sounds like either you are a Apple Fan or a NetBook user.

But the sad part is NetBooks blow the Ipad away. That is if Steve Jobs horrible presentation of how Magical it is holds any truth.

Steve Jobs is an arrogant bastard that has stabbed everyone in the industry in the back.

Who is the evil one?

If Jobs really believed in Apple than he'd have more money invested in Apple (sold most of his shares) than he does in Disney.

Grow up and learn that Steve Jobs doesn't know you, doesn't care about you and certaintly only wants your money.

It's called business. The exception is Jobs sounds more like a child on the playground that got his feelings hurt.

Steve Jobs should retire. He's a Wussy.
  • Reply 243 of 344
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

For those that don't understand he prefers to use a computer that doesn't make him think.

Sounds like either you are a Apple Fan or a NetBook user.

But the sad part is NetBooks blow the Ipad away. That is if Steve Jobs horrible presentation of how Magical it is holds any truth.

Steve Jobs is an arrogant bastard that has stabbed everyone in the industry in the back.

Who is the evil one?

If Jobs really believed in Apple than he'd have more money invested in Apple (sold most of his shares) than he does in Disney.

Grow up and learn that Steve Jobs doesn't know you, doesn't care about you and certaintly only wants your money.

It's called business. The exception is Jobs sounds more like a child on the playground that got his feelings hurt.

Steve Jobs should retire. He's a Wussy.

Can you post a video of these 'superior' netbooks booting up nearly instantly, or specs which show they can play video for 10 hours or browse the internet for 30 hours on a charge?

Such hatred and vitriol against Apple and S. Jobs, yet you troll in nearly every thread...
  • Reply 244 of 344
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    When I first saw quicktime of Steve introducing the Iphone I thought to myself: "wow this is something I've never even though was possible. I wonder if it is really as good as it seems. I gotta go check this out at the Apple store."

When I first saw google's youtube on android I thought: "This is an iPhone from google! It looks the same, behaves much in the same way, except it has a physical keyboard. It would be interesting to see if they can match what apple has shipped."

In other words, apple has released something no one even thought possible. Android was fairly close to iPhone OS, but still had drawbacks like a physical keyboard and a direction pad. Apple is right to protect their inventions and google should pay more royalties in terms of bigger share of ad revenue from iPhone users going to Apple.
  • Reply 245 of 344
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Same old, same old....

• Reply 246 of 344
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Apple is right to protect their inventions

More properly, Apple is obligated to protect its IP. Apple's patents on the iPhone are clearly immensely valuable and the board of directors would be sued by shareholders if the company didn't pursue infringers. Google isn't blind, so you might say its directors were obligated to do whatever possible to exploit the same or similar opportunity. A patent doesn't protect itself, though. If anyone is to protect Apple's IP, it has to be Apple itself. That's business. I can see why Apple or Jobs would be furious. Nobody likes being sued and--maybe this is surprising to some people--nobody likes suing. Seems to me, Apple did everything it could to try to avoid the present situation. Tough beans for Google and HTC, though. Essentially they've been asking for it and are banking that, somehow, they can successfully defend. As I understand it, Apple is asking for triple damages, which could really hurt.
  • Reply 247 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Can you post a video of these 'superior' netbooks booting up nearly instantly, or specs which show they can play video for 10 hours or browse the internet for 30 hours on a charge?

Such hatred and vitriol against Apple and S. Jobs, yet you troll in nearly every thread...

Do your own research. Try and Google it! Apple certaintly doesn't have a Search Engine or for that matter a browser that has gained any use in the real world.

To say I've posted hatred in "nearly every thread..." would mean my postings from when registered are about 1.x per day.

AI posts 4-5 article a day depending on when Apple has a bowel movement.

Steve Jobs has belittled every major company that chooses to compete with Apple.

This is not the actions of a CEO, it's the actions of either a rookie or someone looking to hold the CEO job (purely out of arrogance).

Steve Jobs is not your friend, he doesn't know you, he doesn't love anything more than your money. Steve Jobs has way too many companies that will not let Apple set the rules. It isn't in their best Interest. It's a business he's not your friend regardless of what you think.

Jobs needs to retire his dumb ass black turtle neck, tennis shoes and jeans. He's old. It just makes him look pathetic.

The MaxiPad may sell to the Apple Sheep but put it in the category of AppleTV (a hobby).

Sad thing is that Jobs said this magical device was his best work ever. That was the iPhone.

The competition and end user is a bit more informed these days to be held in Steve Job's closed system.

There is not an app for that. Jobs sounds like a like a child crying at the playground becuase his toy was taken away.

I'll go on record to say the iPad will fail because of Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 248 of 344
    Quote:

Do your own research. Try and Google it! Apple certaintly doesn't have a Search Engine or for that matter a browser that has gained any use in the real world.

To say I've posted hatred in "nearly every thread..." would mean my postings from when registered are about 1.x per day.

AI posts 4-5 article a day depending on when Apple has a bowel movement.

Steve Jobs has belittled every major company that chooses to compete with Apple.

This is not the actions of a CEO, it's the actions of either a rookie or someone looking to hold the CEO job (purely out of arrogance).

Steve Jobs is not your friend, he doesn't know you, he doesn't love anything more than your money. Steve Jobs has way too many companies that will not let Apple set the rules. It isn't in their best Interest. It's a business he's not your friend regardless of what you think.

Jobs needs to retire his dumb ass black turtle neck, tennis shoes and jeans. He's old. It just makes him look pathetic.

The MaxiPad may sell to the Apple Sheep but put it in the category of AppleTV (a hobby).

Sad thing is that Jobs said this magical device was his best work ever. That was the iPhone.

The competition and end user is a bit more informed these days to be held in Steve Job's closed system.

There is not an app for that. Jobs sounds like a like a child crying at the playground becuase his toy was taken away.

I'll go on record to say the iPad will fail because of Steve Jobs.

Oh, the standard "Google it yourself" answer for those who can't back up their claims...

Clearly you despise Apple and S. Jobs. Why don't you just go somewhere else? I am sure there are plenty of anti-Apple sites.

Perhaps you really love Apple products, yet can't afford them, so seek to belittle the products, its founder and users.
  • Reply 249 of 344
    Quote:

Oh, the standard "Google it yourself" answer for those who can't back up their claims...

Clearly you despise Apple and S. Jobs. Why don't you just go somewhere else? I am sure there are plenty of anti-Apple sites.

Perhaps you really love Apple products, yet can't afford them, so seek to belittle the products, its founder and users.

OK, then BING IT. The results will be the same and Apple will be reliant on Microsoft even more than they currently are with Windows & Office. It doesn't take Einstein to realize that if you do business you need Microsoft.

Apple and Microsoft are a partnership that is 1 Google click...

Steve Jobs and Steve Balmer will be good buddies soon. They are both made from the same mold (pun intended). Good luck with the partnership in this round.

AI tries to make every Apple move sound like a Soap Opera. Steve Jobs just backs it up with his actions.
  • Reply 250 of 344
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You people really need to get some new material.

• Reply 251 of 344
    Quote:

OK, then BING IT. The results will be the same and Apple will be reliant on Microsoft even more than they currently are with Windows & Office. It doesn't take Einstein to realize that if you do business you need Microsoft.

Apple and Microsoft are a partnership that is 1 Google click...

Steve Jobs and Steve Balmer will be good buddies soon. They are both made from the same mold (pun intended). Good luck with the partnership in this round.

AI tries to make every Apple move sound like a Soap Opera. Steve Jobs just backs it up with his actions.

Still can't back up your claims? Pathetic. Perhaps you should move on. People get tired of trolls pretty quick.
  • Reply 252 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

When I first saw quicktime of Steve introducing the Iphone I thought to myself: "wow this is something I've never even though was possible. I wonder if it is really as good as it seems. I gotta go check this out at the Apple store."

When I first saw google's youtube on android I thought: "This is an iPhone from google! It looks the same, behaves much in the same way, except it has a physical keyboard. It would be interesting to see if they can match what apple has shipped."

In other words, apple has released something no one even thought possible. Android was fairly close to iPhone OS, but still had drawbacks like a physical keyboard and a direction pad. Apple is right to protect their inventions and google should pay more royalties in terms of bigger share of ad revenue from iPhone users going to Apple.

Hmmm?

Are you not aware that not all Android handsets/smartphones feature actual keyboards and directional pads?

It appears that your limited knowledge of Android (the mobile OS) has lead you to believe that the Motorola DROID (which does have a physical keyboard and a directional pad) is representative of all Android-powered smatrphones/devices, which simply Is Not The Case.

Suggestion: Do A Bit More Research
  • Reply 253 of 344
    Quote:

You requested the following:

"Can you post a video of these 'superior' netbooks booting up nearly instantly, or specs which show they can play video for 10 hours or browse the internet for 30 hours on a charge?"

Understanding that there's a lot of unwarranted animosity both ways here, I still find that you might do well to educate yourself on the current state of netbooks featuring Intel's N450/470 series processors that DO provide (Linux-based) instant-on operating systems, outstanding battery autonomy, in addition to USB ports, media card readers, web cameras, capacitive touch-screens, multi-touch et al.

Additionally: I also find it rather interesting that you're making all of these claims about what the iPad can do, yet neither you, nor anyone else (for that matter) have actually owned a production model Apple iPad, so where exactly are the FACTS to substantiate your arguments... indeed, to 'Back Up Your Claims'?
  • Reply 254 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

You requested the following:

"Can you post a video of these 'superior' netbooks booting up nearly instantly, or specs which show they can play video for 10 hours or browse the internet for 30 hours on a charge?"

Understanding that there's a lot of unwarranted animosity both ways here, I still find that you might do well to educate yourself on the current state of netbooks featuring Intel's N450/470 series processors that DO provide (Linux-based) instant-on operating systems, outstanding battery autonomy, in addition to USB ports, media card readers, web cameras, capacitive touch-screens, multi-touch et al.

Additionally: I also find it rather interesting that you're making all of these claims about what the iPad can do, yet neither you, nor anyone else (for that matter) have actually owned a production model Apple iPad, so where exactly are the FACTS to substantiate your arguments... indeed, to 'Back Up Your Claims'?

Really? Instant-on, 10 hours of video playback, and 30 hours of web browsing? From netbooks? I see you also failed to provide links.

Don't you trolls ever visit the Apple site?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/
  • Reply 255 of 344
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The thing about Motorola's Android phones is that MOTOROLA RESPECT'S APPLE'S PATENTS.

No pinch to zoom and they innovated with the virtual keyboard usingSwype.

American companies often innovate, Taiwanese companies often copy.

"As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness."

Henry David Thoreau

Source

Quote:

Hmmm?

Are you not aware that not all Android handsets/smartphone feature actual keyboards and directional pads?

It appear that your limited knowledge of Android (the mobile OS) has lead you to believe that the Motorola DROID (which does have a physical keyboard and a directional pad) is representative of all Android-powered smatrphones/devices, which simply Is Not The Case.

Suggestion: Do A Bit More Research

• Reply 256 of 344
    Quote:

Really? Instant-on, 10 hours of video playback, and 30 hours of web browsing? From netbooks? I see you also failed to provide links.

Don't you trolls ever visit the Apple site?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Personally, I don't really care one way or another, but it is quite interesting that you're making all these demands to prove this or prove that regarding netbooks, yet there's no factual evidence that the production iPad meet these criteria either.

"30 hours of web browsing"... Really?

Battery and power

- Built-in 25-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

- Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music

- Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system

Have A Nice Night
  • Reply 257 of 344
    Quote:

Personally, I don't really care one way or another, but it is quite interesting that you're making all these demands to prove this or prove that regarding netbooks, yet there's no factual evidence that the production iPad meet these criteria either.

"30 hours of web browsing"... Really?

Battery and power

- Built-in 25-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

- Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music

- Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system

Have A Nice Night

Ah, one troll defending anther. My bad; 10 hours. Which model netbook has a 10 hour battery?
  • Reply 258 of 344
    Quote:

Ah, one troll defending anther. My bad; 10 hours. Which model netbook has a 10 hour battery?

The Lenovo S10-3t that I'm typing on right now (as I relax by the pool).

It also has a 10.1 (built-in) mult-touch capacitive touch screen, physical keyboard, Linux-based QuickStart, multi-card reader, video out, spacious hard drive, and numerous other very useful features.

Additionally: It has no difficulty achieving 8 to 10 hours of battery autonomy during a typical workday of web-surfing and document creation.
  • Reply 259 of 344
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

Best not to feed the trolls, just takes up space and waste your and my time .Another one for my ignore list.
  • Reply 260 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Best not to feed the trolls, just takes up space and waste your and my time .Another one for my ignore list.

Not everyone with an opinion 'different' than your own is a Troll.

The term Troll is used in here for anyone who the Apple Insider Elite deem unworthy of consideration, and has lost all of its true meaning as a result.

I, personally, own practically every major product that Apple has released in the last 20 (or so) years, and find most of them very well done, but that doesn't mean that everything I post needs to sounds like it was quoted directly from Apple's last KeyNote presentation.

T H I N K ... D I F F E R E N T - Man! I sure miss those days...