NYT: Steve Jobs feels Google betrayed Apple by mimicking iPhone

Comments

• Reply 261 of 344
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

The Lenovo S10-3t that I'm typing on right now (as I relax by the pool).

It also has a 10.1 (built-in) mult-touch capacitive touch screen, physical keyboard, Linux-based QuickStart, multi-card reader, video out, spacious hard drive, and numerous other very useful features.

Additionally: It has no difficulty achieving 8 to 10 hours of battery autonomy during a typical workday of web-surfing and document creation.

That's one ugly piece of junk. According to reviews, the standard battery is only good for a little over3 hours, while the upgrade for 7.

Quote:

Unfortunately, this 10.1-inch netvertible's slightly faster CPU has trouble keeping up with the bundled touch apps (which are underwhelming) and the standard 4-cell battery lasts just a little over three hours on a charge. (Make sure you purchase a model with the 8-cell battery, which offers 7 hours of juice.)

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...ad-s10-3t.aspx

If you don't mind slow, ugly, hard to use cheap computers, then I guess you made a good choice.
  • Reply 262 of 344
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

That's one ugly piece of junk. According to reviews, the standard battery is only good for a little over3 hours, while the upgrade for 7.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...ad-s10-3t.aspx

If you don't mind slow, ugly, hard to use cheap computers, then I guess you made a good choice.

To each their own... Some require an actual computer, not merely an oversized media player.

"Remember: Your View-Point Is Not The Only Perspective."
  • Reply 263 of 344
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:

To each their own... Some require an actual computer, not merely an oversized media player.

"Remember: Your View-Point Is Not The Only Perspective."

No one said the iPad would replace a notebook. My MB Pro is a real computer, unlike that 3rd world POS Lenovo.

I can't imagine anyone with any sense of style would find that hunk of plastic attractive.
  • Reply 264 of 344
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Blarg blarg splutter blarg... (snip)

The Ignore List.

The gift that keeps on giving.
  • Reply 265 of 344
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It also has a 10.1 (built-in) mult-touch capacitive touch screen, physical keyboard, Linux-based QuickStart, multi-card reader, video out, spacious hard drive, and numerous other very useful features.

Additionally: It has no difficulty achieving 8 to 10 hours of battery autonomy during a typical workday of web-surfing and document creation.

Wow! A machine that is more than double the weight of and much larger than the iPad should awesome. Of course, it has to be heavier to use such a large 8-cell battery to run that Atom CPU to push Windows 7 which will make this faster processor do every task considerably slower than on the iPad which is designed from the ground up to be ideal for its intended usage.

Then there is the foolishly chosen 16:9 display which is so trendy and marketable these days but makes for poor reading text poor with stubby, 600px high display. I guess if I wanted a portable video player that could also do occasional reading on that would make sense.

It doesn't even use Nvidia Ion, Android OS or an IPS display and starts out considerably more money* than the iPad for the (lol) versions with the 10hr usage claims. Plus, those battery claims are also widely exaggerated for Lenovo, only Apple and Sony offer real world specs.
    However, you can buy the s10-3t form online retailers with an 8-cell battery for $499, which in our tests lasted a very good 7:01. Just keep in mind that the battery sticks out a couple of inches and increases the weight from 2.8 pounds to 3.2 pounds. Lenovo may also make this 8-cell battery an option on its own site, but the company could not give us a price.
    Good luck with pretending you love it. I'm sure you'll hate on the iPad until you buy one, at which point you'll conveniently say that Apple actually listened to it's customers by adding this or that.

* The price for the 4-cell battery version was $549 with an extra $100 for the 8-cell version, but it magically became $499 for the 8-cell version after the iPad was announced. How 'bout them Apples?
  • Reply 266 of 344
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

The Ignore List.

I guess he/she was lost for words. Added him/her to my list too.
  • Reply 267 of 344
    backupbackup Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The thing about Motorola's Android phones is that MOTOROLA RESPECT'S APPLE'S PATENTS.

No pinch to zoom and they innovated with the virtual keyboard usingSwype.

American companies often innovate, Taiwanese companies often copy.

"As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness."

Henry David Thoreau

Source

No pinch and zoom from Droid/Milestone?? You sure?

Apple owns multi touch now?? I thought the inventor of multi touch is by a guy called Jeff Han. Apple implemented this technology, but so did Nintendo on their gaming devices, Garmin on GPS, do you see them suing their competitors?

Can you give out some examples on how you come to a conclusion that Taiwanese companies often copy, while Americans innovate?

Before you go on belittling Taiwan, you should realize that without Taiwan, Iphone won't even exist. Iphone's manufacture is Foxconn, a Taiwanese company, which includes hundreds of R&D members working on the Iphone. Even the lenses on the Iphone are designed by Taiwanese company.
  • Reply 268 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backup View Post

Apple owns multi touch now?? I thought the inventor of multi touch is by a guy called Jeff Han. Apple implemented this technology, but so did Nintendo on their gaming devices, Garmin on GPS, do you see them suing their competitors?

Can you give out some examples on how you come to a conclusion that Taiwanese companies often copy, while Americans innovate?

Before you go on belittling Taiwan, you should realize that without Taiwan, Iphone won't even exist. Iphone's manufacture is Foxconn, a Taiwanese company, which includes hundreds of R&D members working on the Iphone. Even the lenses on the Iphone are designed by Taiwanese company.

The (European market only) Milestone has OS-wide multi-touch, the U.S version (the DROID) supports multi-touch via developers who choose to include said feature in their apps.
  • Reply 269 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

In what way was Steve betrayed by Bill Gates?

Just curious, being unable to think of any instance.

this is one of them here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOp5mBY9IY

also you might want to read the documentation links below to get the answer to your question , which is all right there in the text...

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...362B533B9.html

good reading..

BitzandBitez
  • Reply 270 of 344
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It's a good thing the router is close to the pool, slow loading webpages are a b***h!

Quote:

Verdict

The S10-3t does some things right. It's fairly light for a convertible, offers accurate touch input, and it has a comfortable keyboard. And, provided you get the 8-cell battery, you?ll see 7 hours of unplugged computing time. However, this machines? sluggish performance and weak wireless range hold it back. If you want a netbook with touch capability, the S10-3t is worth considering, but this netvertible didn't quite live up to our expectations.

Source

So the screen is lower resolution than the iPad 1024x600 vs 1024x768, how do slow loading webpages and documents look?

Quote:

• Reply 271 of 344
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...362B533B9.html

good reading..

Hmm, quoting roughlydrafted and then saying "good reading", that is a bit of an oxymoron...
  • Reply 272 of 344
    All I know is that the Android phones sold by Motorola in the US are not pushing against Apples patents like HTC's phones are.

The person I was replying to specified the Droid, this isn't about the Milestone.

The BackFlip, Cliq and the new Cliq XT are other Motorola phones that don't have multitouch enabled for the American market.

HTC has often made phones under other brand names and then released almost exactly the same handset under their own brand.

Do you think that contributed to SonyEricsson dumping them after one handset? (X1)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backup View Post

• Reply 273 of 344
    backupbackup Posts: 2member
    Quote:

All I know is that the Android phones sold by Motorola in the US are not pushing against Apples patents like HTC's phones are.

The person I was replying to specified the Droid, this isn't about the Milestone.

The BackFlip, Cliq and the new Cliq XT are other Motorola phones that don't have multitouch enabled for the American market.

HTC has often made phones under other brand names and then released almost exactly the same handset under their own brand.

Do you think that contributed to SonyEricsson dumping them after one handset? (X1)

Milestone is actually not just for the European market, it's for the rest of the world other than NA (Asia).

So basically it is okay for Motorola when they leave the NA market for Apple?

By the way, in the beginning HTC phones uses Windows mobile software, and developes their own interface called Sense? (Their flagship model atleast in Asia, is HTC HD 2)

It is only when HTC starts cooperating with Google is when they start to really go after Apple Iphone patents using Android.)

I believe the reason that Apple is not targeting Motorola is that Motorola's share in smartphone is not as high as HTC. Motorola's basically dead before the release of Droid/Milestone. Once Motorola climbs up the mobile phone market share, they'll become a target for Apple as well.

What phones under other brand names? When you say X1, you probably mean Touch Pro? But how about Touch, Diamond, HD2? What kind of phones are these models mimicking? And when you say dumping them, you sure it's not the other way around where HTC decided to create their own Brand?
  • Reply 274 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

The Ignore List.

If people didn't quote trolls - that would mean something. Worthless feature. Like an iPad "booger cam".

(Btw - I still maintain the reason they left off the camera is because of hospital and govt sales - and the fact I already have a camera on my person with an iPhone - but then I have a hard time empathizing with people who need 5 cameras on their body at all time)
  • Reply 275 of 344
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i think the success of the iPhone already proves your myth busting argument to be wrong.

Quite the contrary, for many people who adopted the iPhone, it was a phone that did much much more than what their old phones were able to do before. It demonstrates that ease of use and capabilities are not mutually exclusive.

The opposite is true for people who move from laptops to the iPad.
  • Reply 276 of 344
    Is it?

I'm lying in bed with a MacBook an iPad will easily do what I'm doing now only it will be more comfortable.

I see lots of people struggling with 17' laptops and 10" netbooks.

I don't want to struggle with technology, I just want to use it.

The phone I used before I got an iPhone was a Nokia N82 it had multitasking, a 5MP camera with xenon flash, bluetooth file transfer, secondary camera, Adobe Flash support, lot's of customisation, access to plenty of [STRIKE]pirated[/STRIKE] free applications and most of the bells and whistles that are still being whined about.

I don't miss it at all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

Quite the contrary, for many people who adopted the iPhone, it was a phone that did much much more than what their old phones were able to do before. It demonstrates that ease of use and capabilities are not mutually exclusive.

The opposite is true for people who move from laptops to the iPad.

• Reply 277 of 344
    Quote:

Is it?

I'm lying in bed with a MacBook an iPad will easily do what I'm doing now only it will be more comfortable.

Only time will tell just how 'comfortable' the iPad's virtual keyboard will actually be in such a scenario...
  • Reply 278 of 344
    Quote:

It's a good thing the router is close to the pool, slow loading webpages are a b***h!

Source

So the screen is lower resolution than the iPad 1024x600 vs 1024x768, how do slow loading webpages and documents look?

Web pages/documents look great and load as quickly as on any other 802.11b/g/n device in recent memory, including the 15" MacBook Pro I'm currently typing this on.

Personally, I'll take a true 16:9/1024x600 screen aspect ratio any day over something as archaic as 4:3/1024/768, as I like watching movies I've ripped in widescreen sans ungainly black bars polluting the top and bottom of the display.

If I need to read documents (Zinio/Adobe Air/Kindle/ etc), I simply rotate the device, the accelerometer detects that I only want to see one page at a time, and acts accordingly.

Suggestion: There's really no substitute for actually experiencing a device over time, especially when compared to the word of some reviewer who probably spent all of 45 minutes with the item before writing a review.
  • Reply 279 of 344
    Maybe I should use my Bluetooth one besides I read more than I type.

Quote:

Only time will tell just how 'comfortable' the iPad's virtual keyboard will actually be in such a scenario...

• Reply 280 of 344
    Aren't 4:3 webpages, photos and documents too skinny?

You have more pixels on an iPad screen.

I tried out some netbooks, I even sell Dell Mini 10's after the experience I then bought a 13" MacBook.

Quote:

Web pages/documents look great and load as quickly as on any other 802.11b/g/n device in recent memory, including the 15" MacBook Pro I'm currently typing this on.

Personally, I'll take a true 16:9/1024x600 screen aspect ratio any day over something as archaic as 4:3/1024/768, as I like watching movies I've ripped in widescreen sans ungainly black bars polluting the top and bottom of the display.

If I need to read documents (Zinio/Adobe Air/Kindle/ etc), I simply rotate the device, the accelerometer detects that I only want to see one page at a time, and acts accordingly.

Suggestion: There's really no substitute for actually experiencing a device over time, especially when compared to the word of some reviewer who probably spent all of 45 minutes with the item before writing a review.