Preorders for Apple iPad slow after 120K first-day rush

Comments

• Reply 21 of 200
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I think that it makes sense that the pre-orders for the Wi-Fi only models would exceed the 3G models since buying the 3G requires a commitment for service. When the iPad becomes available on April 3rd, sales of the 3G's will most like increase.

The 3G doesn't require a commitment. You can start and cancel your service as you please without an activation charge.
  • Reply 22 of 200
    Quote:

I think that it makes sense that the pre-orders for the Wi-Fi only models would exceed the 3G models since buying the 3G requires a commitment for service. When the iPad becomes available on April 3rd, sales of the 3G's will most like increase.

Actually if someone doesn't mind paying the extra 130.00 the 3G model at least in my opinion is the way to go because you are paying full price for the iPad there is no commitment so you can sign up whenever you want or never sign up.

Unlike a PC you can't add 3G later if you want too so if someone is even thinking about wanting 3G on their iPad at least for me the 3G model is the way to go.

I still believe (and this is just my opinion) that Apple is going to nail the early adopters again and the 16GB model is going to be short lived. By todays standards 16GB just isn't going to cut it for a device like this and its going to be dropped within 6 month and the 32GB is going to replace it as the entry level at the 499.00 price.
  • Reply 23 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I am old fashioned. I actually like to see the product first.

I agree.

The other factor for me is what apple does with their REMOTE app, which would be the killer app for me. I don't really love the idea of controlling home audio through an ipod touch, but an iPad? That would be awesome. The fact that "virtually" all app store apps will work on the iPad is cold comfort here, since the Remote App is of particular strategic importance and Apple has certainly considered it separately.

When I research the Remote App on apple.com it is for the iphone and ipod touch. Conspicuously ZERO mention of the ipad. But for me, and for many, many others, I think this would seal the deal, especially once you hold it in your hands.

This cannot have been overlooked. Thoughts?
  • Reply 24 of 200
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Keep in mind the source. PED finds a negative slant to anything AAPL. It's apparently his job.

I think a roughly $140 million in revenue (200k in pre-orders and reserved pickups with asap 700 across models including accesories) from a product that hasn't shipped is incredible. I think they are working hard on the licensing for books and network parteners abroad and that another spike of similar magnitude is likely when it is available outside the US.

On a side note, do you think u will be able to use the ipad with 3g as a tether? I know u can't tether it through an iPhone but if I pay my $30 for 5g through the ipad I would really like to be able to tether it.
  • Reply 25 of 200
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    I was on the verge and buying the $499 model with Applecare ($598) and maybe that $40 case then I thought about my 1.0 experiences with Apple products, the good and the bad, then I just got a bigger capacity iPod touch. I'll wait to see it and use it before I pull the trigger.

In regards to the coffee shop folk, I won't be leaving the house with it either because I don't care what people think anyway. If I like it I like it.
  • Reply 26 of 200
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I'm sure that beyond, "Us", everyone and anyone interested in buying one would actually like to see the physical thing in person, touch it, use it, and then take it home.

Most people don't pre-order brand new 1st gen products. But many did.
  • Reply 27 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I'm considering getting one. I have an ancient 900Mhz G3 iBook that I only use for web and email. It's my couch and bedroom computer... for surfing and email. That's the only thing I use it for. Doesn't even have any files on it. So the iPad would be a perfect replacement for that. It would also be great as a device for client meetings... to present creative mockups and take quick email notes. I think it would be better than a laptop for that actually because you can put it on a table with a few people and sit around it in a circle and all see it / spin it / pass it around easily... without having to gather 'round a laptop or pass a laptop around.

My 12" powerbook was treated the same way, gradually turning into a netbook, until my toddler puked all over the keyboard a few weeks ago. My wife and I have a lot more time to talk at home now.

If apple wanted to suck all the oxygen out of the netbook market they could release a baby OS for all their old G3 and G4 laptops to turn them into netbooks. Self-destructive, but Al Gore would smile.
  • Reply 28 of 200
    Quote:

Not necessarily so. Just because you buy a 3G does not mean you have to activate it. I am only assuming that you are stating that once a person buys a 3G unit that they will be motivated to get a data plan simply because the device is capable of it.

I opted for the 3G unit and do plan to get a data plan simply because I do not carry a cell phone and do allot of data moving. Keeping the MBP with me at all times and trying to get a WiFi signal or cable connection is tedious at times and for most of what I need, the iPad and a data plan will do just fine. I really considered a data plan with a dongle for the MBP at one time but it was higher priced and to have to deal with a dongle that could get snapped off easily did not set well with me. I have OnStar in my Denali and need nothing more than that for connivence.

There you go, two cents for the day...
  • Reply 29 of 200
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Not many I bet. The iBooks store is a US exclusive, so the iPad abroad is an ereader with no ebooks.

Apple aren't, understandably, publicising the lack of books abroad. I wonder how many returns they'll get on day two when people find out about this somewhat deal breaking oversight.

So you are saying that third-party ebook apps currently available for the iPod touch and iPhone are banned on the iPad?
  • Reply 30 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JTBLQ View Post

I was on the verge and buying the $499 model with Applecare ($598) and maybe that $0 case then I thought about my 1.0 experiences with Apple products, the good and the bad, then I just got a bigger iPod touch. I went from an original 8GB to 3rd gen 32GB. I'll wait to see it and use it before I pull the trigger.

In regards to the coffee shop folk, I won't be leaving the house with it either because I don't care what people think anyway. If I like it I like it.

Early adopters do not fair well compared to 2.0. Even my brother who used to be a product manager at Apple used to say "Never buy Rev A from Apple."
  • Reply 31 of 200
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Not many I bet. The iBooks store is a US exclusive, so the iPad abroad is an ereader with no ebooks.

Apple aren't, understandably, publicising the lack of books abroad. I wonder how many returns they'll get on day two when people find out about this somewhat deal breaking oversight.

I thought that the pre-order option was a US only deal. From what I've been reading, Apple is working on book deals for outside the US.
  • Reply 32 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

So you are saying that third-party ebook apps currently available for the iPod touch and iPhone are banned on the iPad?

Thats an interesting questions. I was wondering myself if Apple is going to try and force everyone to buy ebooks from iTunes or of if they are going to allow the Kindle app on the iPad.
  • Reply 33 of 200
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    So they're using number of claimed pre-orders on an apple fansite to estimate how many are have actually been pre-ordered worldwide?

Wow, I bet it's really accurate.

Maybe the real reason for the drop-off in "pre-orders" after the first day is that the thread is no longer at the top of the AAPL forum, so less fanboys are claiming to have bought one already...
  • Reply 34 of 200
    So... no mention of reservations, unless I read too fast. Personally, I reserved mine for pick up. That way I get it earlier and get to have some fun. If you live near an Apple Store it really is the better option. I wonder what percentage is doing that instead and if they are trying to track it -- I don't think there's an easy way to do so.

Anyway, I agree that this is a product most people will need to try first. I personally said that from day one. I was starting to think I might have been wrong, but it seems it will be the case.
  • Reply 35 of 200
    I live in New Zealand,I will be purchasing the iPad as soon as pre orders become available, I dont know why Jobs didnt stick to his word and launch worldwide simultaneously. as for the ibookstore eventually all countries will have access to it
  • Reply 36 of 200
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It is currently only Apple's iBookstore that won'r be released internationally - all the other Amazon Kindle etc apps will be available, as far as any indication has been given thus far. The question would be if Apple will allow them to port to the iPad or not as a part of the "nearly all" App Store applications will work on the iPad.
  • Reply 37 of 200
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member
    iPhone sales averaged about 13,300 per day during the first three months. They escalated to about 24,000 per day in the second quarter when international sales came into the picture.

If the iPad can exceed or come close to iPhone launch numbers then it will be an amazingly successful product.

Will analysts like Gartner count it as a computer? If they do, Apple's market share numbers could double or triple.
  • Reply 38 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

So they're using number of claimed pre-orders on an apple fansite to estimate how many are have actually been pre-ordered worldwide?

Wow, I bet it's really accurate.

Maybe the real reason for the drop-off in "pre-orders" after the first day is that the thread is no longer at the top of the AAPL forum, so less fanboys are claiming to have bought one already...

I was thinking the same thing the other day when they claimed 91,000 in 6 hours. I don't believe this number is even remotely accurate. Those claim numbers could be every Apple store sale worldwide.

Until Apple releases actual numbers this is all hype.
  • Reply 39 of 200
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

The 3G doesn't require a commitment. You can start and cancel your service as you please without an activation charge.

Not the point. Why pay extra for something and not use it. If you want a 3G you will have to pay extra for the service. Wi-Fiers can use the iPad at home, library or coffee shop for free so its not as much a gamble as a commitment to a 3G option is.
  • Reply 40 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

Will analysts like Gartner count it as a computer? If they do, Apple's market share numbers could double or triple.

I'm not sure it would fall into that catagory seeing it doesn't run an a desktop OS. Its running a mobile OS which lacks many of the features of a desktop OS.