Preorders for Apple iPad slow after 120K first-day rush

Comments

• Reply 41 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Not many I bet. The iBooks store is a US exclusive, so the iPad abroad is an ereader with no ebooks.

Apple aren't, understandably, publicising the lack of books abroad. I wonder how many returns they'll get on day two when people find out about this somewhat deal breaking oversight.

The troll is baaaaack......! Hi, how're you doing, kotatsu?
  • Reply 42 of 200
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    All people who really wanted the iPad got it on the first day. Not that many apple fanboys...

Will see how this device is accepted and if (possible) slow sales will force Jobs to announce Flash support for "the best browsing experience"
  • Reply 43 of 200
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

Early adopters do not fair well compared to 2.0. Even my brother who used to be a product manager at Apple used to say "Never buy Rev A from Apple."

If he did say that, then he's not to be trusted, because it isn't true at all.

Come point out the flaws in my 4gb iPhone from iDay 07? I can't seem to find them.

Neither can I find anything wrong with my 7,1 iMac, first aluminum model on the market, still runs beautifully. Not one problem.

I've also had day one iPhone 3G, and day one iPhone 3GS. Not one has ever had a problem. The entire don't buy Rev A concept is a fraud by anyone who promotes it.
  • Reply 44 of 200
    Just hope Apple isn't trying to get those of us who are waiting for upgraded Macbooks and Macbook Pros to cough up dough for an iPad. If they're thinking that, they're being silly.

I like the iPad - but it's not for me right now.
  • Reply 45 of 200
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildcat1 View Post

I live in New Zealand,I will be purchasing the iPad as soon as pre orders become available, I dont know why Jobs didnt stick to his word and launch worldwide simultaneously. as for the ibookstore eventually all countries will have access to it

Agreed, should have been made available world wide as pre-order, but then the decision wasn't mine to make. Probably anticipated sales and the numbers that would be available by April 3rd required a limit of sales to the US only so would not be any a back order problem on the release date.
  • Reply 46 of 200
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

All people who really wanted the iPad got it on the first day. Not that many apple fanboys...

Will see how this device is accepted and if (possible) slow sales will force Jobs to announce Flash support for "the best browsing experience"

Oh yes, EVERYONE who really wants one got it already. Even the people who would never buy some thing sight unseen, that will likely buy one in a store during the months of April, or May...

they all bought it too.
  • Reply 47 of 200
    We'll have to actually wait and see, won't we. These are all estimates, with a wide margin of error.

We'll know soon enough, when Apple announces quarterly results.

Come back and crow -- or eat crow -- then.

(Oops... this was meant to be a response to Brainless #43 above; forgot to quote his post.)
  • Reply 48 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu;

Not many I bet. The iBooks store is a US exclusive, so the iPad abroad is an ereader with no ebooks.

Apple aren't, understandably, publicising the lack of books abroad. I wonder how many returns they'll get on day two when people find out about this somewhat deal breaking oversight.

Yeah I know that. But that's not going to stop 3rd party e-reader apps that currently exist for the iPhone/iPod Touch to appear on the iPad as well. I for one, have tons of PDFs, CHMs that I want to dump on that thing, and not necessarily get books off of iBooks.

Also, the iPad is not just for reading books. It's really a device/console that runs embedded applications on a slate form factor.
  • Reply 49 of 200
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

No, the iPad is a multimedia tablet with access to hundreds of thousands of apps, millions of songs/videos/movies etc. minus the iBookstore abroad. Presumably, some of the other ereader apps will work.
  • Reply 50 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The iPad is perfect for traveling! Who needs a full-blown laptop? If you're a business person, and need a laptop with you, then you're not really on vacation, are you?

I agree with You!
  • Reply 51 of 200
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Its compatible with any ebook store using epub. That being said, I don't the iPad will be the next big thing, at least the current version. It needs a cpu a little more potent than the A4 and something a little bit more full featured than the current iPhone OS.
  • Reply 52 of 200
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

If he did say that, then he's not to be trusted, because it isn't true at all.

Come point out the flaws in my 4gb iPhone from iDay 07? I can't seem to find them.

Neither can I find anything wrong with my 7,1 iMac, first aluminum model on the market, still runs beautifully. Not one problem.

I've also had day one iPhone 3G, and day one iPhone 3GS. Not one has ever had a problem. The entire don't buy Rev A concept is a fraud by anyone who promotes it.

Wish I could say the same.

First iPhone had no 3G, no GPS and AT&T edge coverage. Not defects but certainly features that would have been nice the first time around. 4GB of storage for that price point? Not too good. And lets not forget the price drop debacle.

iPhone 3G had issues switching from edge to 3G and back until the update came out.

First aluminum iMac didn't have the brightness to overcome glare and colors changed when looking at it from angles. New iMacs have (had?) issues with yellowing.

Leopard had issues that were resolved. Most felt Leopard was really Tiger fulfilled with boolean search, etc. I'm still having issues with Snow Leopard with crashing, download folder vanishing, can't empty trash half the time. Waiting for an update on this before I downgrade to Leopard. What about iMovie 08? Isn't it better now? And the new Aperture? What a mess. I hope it's fixed now.

I think there is much to be said for waiting for version two. I have an iMac, Macbook Pro and an iPhone. Do I need to rush out and buy an iPad to surf part of the web without flash on my couch? I don't. And it's worthless on the road if I am forced to use AT&T who doesn't have good coverage in my area.
  • Reply 53 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I disagree with this assessment. I do agree that I am not interested in being tied to another monthly charge, that is why the month to month plan at a reasonable rate is so huge. When I buy, it will be the 3G. It will cost me $45 a year in data charges because I will only sign up for the summer and one other month that encompases a vacation (depending on whether I travel Chrimas or Easter to visit the parents).

The one time premium will be made up quickly over the summer.

AND I will have the option to expand my use if I see value in it that I do not anticipate at

present.

Still, like many, I will not buy until

I touch it and get user reviews. But I don't feel like I will need to wait until Rev B for this device...

That still adds up to an ongoing additional expense and while a percentage of iPad buyers will consider it worthwhile. I suspect the majority of iPad buyers will be perfectly happy to own an iPad that is WiFi only. Also, not all iPad buyers will reside in the US. Here in Canada we will be gouged by whatever plans Rogers and the others conjure up. It's the way it's done up here.

What I see is a device that will get extensive use minus 3G capability. And I don't think it's a smart move to even acquire the model with 3G included because once the capability is there, the temptation to get it operational will be great, whether you need it or not. We're not talking a few dollars here or there. We're talking hundreds, potentially thousands of dollars looked at over an extended period. Rogers is already taking a big chunk out of my paycheque. Personally I just don't have any more to give. I have other uses for my money. Planning for my retirement. Ongoing house maintenance. Owning and operating an automobile. Food. Apple products. You know, the basics.
  • Reply 54 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually if someone doesn't mind paying the extra 130.00 the 3G model at least in my opinion is the way to go because you are paying full price for the iPad there is no commitment so you can sign up whenever you want or never sign up.

Unlike a PC you can't add 3G later if you want too so if someone is even thinking about wanting 3G on their iPad at least for me the 3G model is the way to go.

I still believe (and this is just my opinion) that Apple is going to nail the early adopters again and the 16GB model is going to be short lived. By todays standards 16GB just isn't going to cut it for a device like this and its going to be dropped within 6 month and the 32GB is going to replace it as the entry level at the 499.00 price.

Why would you pay an extra $130 only not to use it. People opting for the Wi-Fi only iPads already planned to use it as an Wi-Fi only device. If you want the 3G, I would think that it would be better to see the device first. Ultimately which of the options will outsell the other will be determined when both are available.
  • Reply 55 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Macintosh View Post

Not necessarily so. Just because you buy a 3G does not mean you have to activate it. I am only assuming that you are stating that once a person buys a 3G unit that they will be motivated to get a data plan simply because the device is capable of it.

I opted for the 3G unit and do plan to get a data plan simply because I do not carry a cell phone and do allot of data moving. Keeping the MBP with me at all times and trying to get a WiFi signal or cable connection is tedious at times and for most of what I need, the iPad and a data plan will do just fine. I really considered a data plan with a dongle for the MBP at one time but it was higher priced and to have to deal with a dongle that could get snapped off easily did not set well with me. I have OnStar in my Denali and need nothing more than that for connivence.

There you go, two cents for the day...

Answered--see post below.
  • Reply 56 of 200
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

On a side note, do you think u will be able to use the ipad with 3g as a tether?

No...
  • Reply 57 of 200
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Firstly, there'll be plenty of people wanting an iPad regardless of the iBook Store.

Secondly, there's no reason why the iBook Reader won't be available for non-US users to use with the hundreds (thousands? Millions?) of DRM free ePub books out there.

Thirdly, as with all other content from the iTunes Stores, it will fairly quickly become available outside of the US (well, Canada and the UK at least -- I don't really know about other territories).

I'm in the UK, but could easily pre-order one from the US and get it sent to one of my employer's US offices. Internal post to the UK, and hopefully skip the VAT! Hopefully customs duty is 0% on the iPad as it comes under the heading of wireless devices. Thanks EU.

But, there are a couple of things holding me back. Firstly, no UK prices yet. For some things (Apple TV 160GB) the UK to US price difference is huge (both my ATVs are from the US), but others barely different at all (most iPods). Secondly, I still can't quite decide on whether to get the 3G one or not. I'd only really use the 3G data when on holiday (it still amazes me how many holiday cottages and villas don't come with wifi). In the UK I can use my spare PAYG O2 SIM that gives me free data for a month so long as I top up with £10 (~$15). Not too bad. OTOH, I can jailbreak my iPhone and install something like MyWi to turn my iPhone into a 3G wireless hotspot. It kills the battery, and will probably be a bit more of a hassle than the built in 3G; but, realistically, how often am I likely to use it?

Decisions, decisions. Maybe I'll just wait for some reviews to come out (or sneakily try the MyWi thing in the Regent St. Apple Store!)
  • Reply 58 of 200
    rasras Posts: 3member
    I travel a lot and don't always get WIFI or have access. I think the fact that I won't be locked into a contract is great. Turn it on as needed, I think a $100 extra for the 3G card is worth it cause once you purchase the iPad you can't upgrade it.
  • Reply 59 of 200
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

It is currently only Apple's iBookstore that won'r be released internationally - all the other Amazon Kindle etc apps will be available, as far as any indication has been given thus far. The question would be if Apple will allow them to port to the iPad or not as a part of the "nearly all" App Store applications will work on the iPad.

If Apple wants there customers too have the best user experience, they will ban all the ebook apps except iBookstore.
  • Reply 60 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

Early adopters do not fair well compared to 2.0. Even my brother who used to be a product manager at Apple used to say "Never buy Rev A from Apple."

Apple has a better track record than most competitors when it comes to bringing well-designed products to market right from the start. On the other hand, I'm one of those people planning on buying the iPad when the revised version hits the streets likely by this time next year.

My expectation is that we'll see a modest price reduction, double the memory, a faster processor, and an improved OS.

I work for a retailer (hence have an employee discount) likely to be selling the iPad several months after it comes to market, so chances are it would be fall before I could even look at buying one. Once it drags out that much, what's a few more months for all of the above upgrades?

Meanwhile, though, I hope lots of people buy the thing - so they'll keep making them - yet competitors come up with some good stuff to pressure Apple to lower the price.