Preorders for Apple iPad slow after 120K first-day rush

Comments

• Reply 161 of 200
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The press here in the UK all talked of the iPad as Apple's attempt to take on the Kindle, an showed it as primarily an eBook reader.

I believe Apple should state very clearly on the non US web sites that the iPad is not an eBook reader as there will obviously be an expectation that it will be one.

Minus the books all you are left with is a seriously crippled web browser, incapable of accessing most popular video and gaming sites, and an iPod with a 4:3 screen. Not exactly very good for watching films on.

The other day, the question was raised whether you were just stupid or a troll. The poster decided in favor of troll. I think he was at best only half right.
  • Reply 162 of 200
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Neutrality doesn't mean I can't take part in a discussion and can't have my own opinion. The neutrality comes up if I'm trying to mediate an argument that's gotten out of hand. My position as moderator is mostly to axe spam when people flag it, and stop people when they start spewing profanities at other members.

The problem I had is that people repeating "magical" marketing don't exactly rate high on my "thinking for yourself" meter.

Also, all those existing 150k iOS apps are going to be upscaled (blurry, blocky or both) or displayed tiny. I don't know why that's supposed to be "magical". The apps will run, and they should, but it will in a "at least it runs" manner, not in a "magical" manner.

"Thinking for yourself?" So you take the word of the same bunch of malcontents, who without any evidence continue to dump their crap over somebody that has at least read the literature. Not only by Apple, but also observed by a lot of well knowledgeable individuals who where there in person to see and actually spend some time handling the product.

So continue to feed the trolls.

Check the keynote at 30:38 minute mark. Pixel Double certainly doesn't look bljurry, blocky or both.

And from one that has had hands-on:

Quote:

Immediately following Apple’s iPad reveal event, the Mac maker offered us an opportunity to go hands-on with the touchscreen controlled tablet. The demo unit came loaded with apps, including about a dozen games. We took (most of) them for a spin.

The games on hand, titles like Gameloft’s N.O.V.A., Electronic Arts’ Need For Speed: Shift and Sega’s Super Monkey Ball, were simply the versions designed with the iPhone and iPod Touch in mind. They were the iPhone apps you can purchase and play right now, upscaled to fit the iPad’s screen. iPad-specific games are expected to ship on or around the device’s official launch this spring.

Visually, the games looked surprisingly sharp when pixel-doubled on the iPad. iPhone games may not be the most visually stunning of the currently available gaming options, but we were impressed with the iPad’s output. There was no offensive blur or excessive pixelation on the iPad’s big, bright screen. They simply looked like their iPhone counterparts, no worse for wear when blown up.

• Reply 163 of 200
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

So continue to feed the trolls.

Thanks for giving me a false dichotomy.

Quote:

Check the keynote at 30:38 minute mark. Pixel Double certainly don't look bljurry, blocky or both.

And from one that has had hands-on:

The video stream isn't high enough quality, not something to judge it from. The linked image is better than I expected, but still clearly an upscale.
  • Reply 164 of 200
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

and much easier to clean!

ooooooooh - you're soooo naughty LOL

On a side note - even when the numbers for world wide sales are indisputable (maybe not for EXTREMESKATER)

they'll (trolls, trills, tricks, trollops & netbook users) still attempt to dispute any reason for buying an iPad.

Can't wait for iGenious to be un-banned (bit harsh I thought) he'll have something 'clever' to say
  • Reply 165 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by earthen View Post

Has anyone using that analogy ever considered what would happen if you actually shot anything in a tank? Are we talking about your standard ten gallon house aquarium or something at Seaworld? Neither is bull proof as far as I know, unless Shamu has a Secret Service-type detail I'm unaware of and Seaworld wouldn't be easy, which defeats the aim of the analogy. At least the old barrel version made a bit more sense?

Actually, some tanks are made to stop bullets. They can also shoot.
  • Reply 166 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Neutrality doesn't mean I can't take part in a discussion and can't have my own opinion. The neutrality comes up if I'm trying to mediate an argument that's gotten out of hand. My position as moderator is mostly to axe spam when people flag it, and stop people when they start spewing profanities at other members.

The problem I had is that people repeating "magical" marketing don't exactly rate high on my "thinking for yourself" meter.

Also, all those existing 150k iOS apps are going to be upscaled (blurry, blocky or both) or displayed tiny. I don't know why that's supposed to be "magical". The apps will run, and they should, but it will in a "at least it runs" manner, not in a "magical" manner.

If you're talking about games only - you may have a point, however, a very slim point, pixel doubling is neither 'blocky' or 'blurry' (see above).

I have 30,000 + photos (only because I take a lot of photos) I'm not a professional, the professionals I know can't wait.

Using the iPad at a 'shoot' will be so much better than a laptop and all of them will just pull their work off the cloud for a prospective client.

A few have part time video jobs (hey, they're still professionals), handing around an iPad is going to be a genuine 'wow' (read magical) factor for them and their clients.

I can't see any situation for any media (including books, we still have lots of 'book' apps) where the 'wow' factor of the iPad wont come into play

wow wow wow
  • Reply 167 of 200
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Explain how you are going to take photos from your digital camera and put them on your iPad so you can view them on that big screen that people are bragging about. That's right, you CAN'T!

Yes I can via the USB port add-on. Not all digital camera's use SD cards. Digital SLRs, for example. Some of the pro SLR's are adding an SD card, but I hope they stick with compact flash for SLRs - the bigger cards are far more durable and easier to keep track of. A dongle to plug in a USB cord is not that big of a deal and far more flexible than including ports or slots that won't work for everyone.

A micro USB would be nice, but I don't see Apple doing it - ever - so I don't bother getting worked up about it.

Quote:

The PowerBook G4 12" would outsell an iPad.

The iPad is easily replacing my PowerBook G4 12". I can't wait!
  • Reply 168 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

i DON'T WANT A MILLION VIRUSES!

No really - it's OK - all you need is

1). Norton

2). McAfee

3). Kaspersky

4). BitDefender

5). AVG

6). etc

Have to admit, I just pulled these from google, I only have a Mac (and soon an iPad - woopee)
  • Reply 169 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

I guess there are only 120k truely brave/stupid fanboys that would buy it before seeing/using it in person (aside from the 0.01% that actually has).

You do realize their pre-sales estimates were extrapolations from a handful of order numbers? No one, other than Apple, knows what the true pre-sales numbers are.

And the only things that got an order number were on-line sales. In store reservations didn't get a number so those are totally discounted.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sold 120K in New York or LA alone...
  • Reply 170 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I bought a Mac years ago and now there are all these Macs out there that make that system look like a dinosaur! Damn you Apple!

Totally wasted on the person you replied to, but still spot on...

EDIT: and I posted this before seeing the exchanges after this post - what a shock!
  • Reply 171 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I believe Apple should state very clearly on the non US web sites that the iPad is not an eBook reader as there will obviously be an expectation that it will be one.

Why can't it be an eBook reader? The iBook application supports open ePub format books - you don't have to get them from Apple.

There are thousands of eBooks on the iPhone as applications right now - those will work too.

And then there is this newfangled thing called the world wide web - maybe you have heard of it? I've heard that you can often read content from things called web sites. Luckily it appears that text doesn't rely on this "flash" thing that there seems to be other fuss about...

Seriously - talk about bogus manufactured "problem"
  • Reply 172 of 200
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Why can't it be an eBook reader? The iBook application supports open ePub format books - you don't have to get them from Apple.

There are thousands of eBooks on the iPhone as applications right now - those will work too.

And then there is this newfangled thing called the world wide web - maybe you have heard of it? I've heard that you can often read content from things called web sites. Luckily it appears that text doesn't rely on this "flash" thing that there seems to be other fuss about...

Seriously - talk about bogus manufactured "problem"

That sounds like three valid eBook options even if you don't have iBookstore in your country.
  • Reply 173 of 200
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

i DON'T WANT A MILLION VIRUSES!

But you obviously want to believe any/all nonsensical advertising propaganda that is tossed your way -

There's a darned good reason those inane 'I'm A Mac' commercials suddenly disappeared after Windows 7 was introduced, and it's primarily because their silly decade-old rhetoric is no longer true/applicable to today's Windows-based computers.
  • Reply 174 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

But you obviously want to believe any/all nonsensical advertising propaganda that is tossed your way -

There's a darned good reason those inane 'I'm A Mac' commercials suddenly disappeared after Windows 7 was introduced, and it's primarily because their silly decade-old rhetoric is no longer true/applicable to today's Windows-based computers.

7 ads in 2006, 10 ads in 2007, 13 ads in 2008, 14 ads in 2009 with the last 3 being focused at Windows 7. Fatal error in logic, you lose.. Please deposit 25¢ and try again.
  • Reply 175 of 200
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Quote:

Windows 7 Vulnerable to 8 out of 10 Viruses

Now that we in the northern hemisphere have had some time to digest the Windows 7 hype and settle in for the coming winter, we thought we would get some more hard data regarding Windows 7 security.

On October 22nd, we settled in at SophosLabs and loaded a full release copy of Windows 7 on a clean machine. We configured it to follow the system defaults for User Account Control (UAC) and did not load any anti-virus software.

We grabbed the next 10 unique samples that arrived in the SophosLabs feed to see how well the newer, more secure version of Windows and UAC held up. Unfortunately, despite Microsoft's claims, Windows 7 disappointed just like earlier versions of Windows. The good news is that, of the freshest 10 samples that arrived, 2 would not operate correctly under Windows 7.

User Account Control did block one sample; however, its failure to block anything else just reinforces my warning prior to the Windows 7 launch that UAC's default configuration is not effective at protecting a PC from modern malware.

Lesson learned? You still need to run anti-virus on Windows 7. Microsoft, in the Microsoft Security Intelligence Report released yesterday, stated that "The infection rate of Windows Vista SP1 was 61.9 percent less than that of Windows XP SP3."

But let's not get complacent. Microsoft seems to be saying that Vista is the least ugly baby in its family. You can be sure the next report will highlight its even less ugly younger sibling, Windows 7.

Why do I say this? As of October 31st www.netmarketshare.com states that Windows Vista has a 19% market share against Windows XP's 70.5% and Windows 7's 2%. Approximately 1 in 5 Windows users is using either Vista or Windows 7. These users often have newer computers, automatic patching, and firewalls and anti-virus software in place.

With millions of hosts still infected with Conficker, ZBot and Bredo, it is obvious a lot of unprotected machines are still out there, and it is no surprise that most of those are XP.

As the chart above shows, Windows 7 users need not feel left out. They can still participate in the ZBot botnet with a side of fake anti-virus. Windows 7 is no cure for the virus blues, so be sure to bring your protection when you boot up.

Code:

http://www.sophos.com/blogs/chetw/g/2009/11/03/windows-7-vulnerable-8-10-viruses/

Deep virus breaks Windows update

Code:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/general/275932/deep-virus-breaks-windows-update

Yeah, looks real secure to me...
  • Reply 176 of 200

Posting links as plain text we have to copy/paste to utilize isn't exactly user friendly.
  • Reply 177 of 200
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

At least make the most basic, minimum effort with your trolling.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

They're RIGHT THERE ON APPLE'S SITE.

Did you even bother to check? Anywhere?

And in response to this:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=176

Windows is still Windows.

Solution: scrap it and start over.
  • Reply 178 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

At least make the most basic, minimum effort with your trolling.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

They're RIGHT THERE ON APPLE'S SITE.

Did you even bother to check? Anywhere?

And in response to this:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=176

Windows is still Windows.

Solution: scrap it and start over.

There are several very good reasons why you've become a permanent fixture on my [IGNORE] list, and your recent channeling of cretins like Senator John Boehner only serve to further solidify said position.

Anything that someone posts that doesn't conform to your little Apple 'ideal' is labeled as 'trolling' yet when you post similarly, all's well.

Well Not For Me, so please direct your rambling vitriol/tired talking points elsewhere - Thanks
  • Reply 179 of 200

Far more relaible than a randomly deleted 'Guest Account'... some would reason -
  • Reply 180 of 200
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

There are several very good reasons that you've become a permanent fixture on my [IGNORE] list, and your recent channeling of cretins like Senator John Boehner only serve to further solidify said position.

Anything that someone posts that doesn't conform to your little Apple 'ideal' is labeled as 'trolling' yet when you post similarly, all's well.

Well Not For Me, so please direct your rambling vitriol/tired talking points elsewhere - Thanks

You were wrong (again) and you were called on it (again.)

And if I'm on your ignore list, then don't respond. That kinda kills your whole "ignore" strategy, now doesn't it?