Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 149
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

No window's machine even comes close to a Mac in parts, quality and features. Not even close. Mac's RULE!

I agree with you about the fact that Macs rule..... But disagree with you about the hardware point of view. The hardware in a Mac and other top PC maker are most times built by the same suppliers.

The thing that truly separates the Apple products from other hardware vendors is the operating system. The ease of use that comes with the very finely tuned operating system separates the Mac from everything else...... Apple has a very unique way of integrating hardware and operating system that is not matched by anyone else in the business.
  • Reply 22 of 149
    aldarisaldaris Posts: 16member
    Quote:

But then it will only last 1/3 the time, and 2/3 of your time will be spent battling viruses.

Dell wants to buy up Apple and shut it down! But they will FAIL.

I offer for consideration...

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...indows-pcs.ars
  • Reply 23 of 149
    mh01mh01 Posts: 41member
    Quote:

No window's machine even comes close to a Mac in parts, quality and features. Not even close. Mac's RULE!

Okay, ill play

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FS-096-OE

There you go. Though i very much doubt you would have any idea about PC components.

The about system will blow a mac pro away. Heck you can even Hackintosh the above system, with much better components and overclock it.

Enthusiast PC parts crap all over generic apple parts that go in a mac.

Macs are not about what is inside (its a PC!), you just do not get it
  • Reply 24 of 149
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I was ready to buy a 27" top of the line iMac last year, until I saw it lacked a blu-ray drive.

Since then PCs have come down in price so much I can't see myself buying the iMac, even if Apple ever put a modern optical drive in it. Here in the UK I can literally get a Dell with a higher spec for HALF the price. Just nuts.

Prices in the UK must be COMPLETELY out of whack with those here in the US. I just did a comparison between the Dell All-in-one and the iMac. I would say the prices were totally comparable. Here are the pluses and minuses of each and the price...

21.5" iMac

- 3.06GHz C2D processor

+ 21.5" screen

+ 4GB DDR3 memory

Price: $1199

Dell All-in-One

+ 3.16GHz C2D processor

-18.5" screen

-4GB DDR2 memory

Price: $944

That is a price difference of $255 in favor of the Dell. However, the iMac has faster memory and a 3" larger screen. I would say that this goes a LONG way to absorbing that $255 difference, and that's not even taking into account the operating system. One final not about this comparison, the Dell doesn't offer a BluRay in this All-in-One.

Unfortunately, you are about right on the laptop side from what I can tell. Comparing a Dell Studio 15 to a comparable 15" MBP is really ugly for the Mac. I'm guessing though that the comparison will be much more favorable if Apple would ever get off their duff and release the MBP update.
  • Reply 25 of 149
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Another clueless member. Something tells me you haven't the slightest idea what would even cause a BSOD.

I suspect iLuv is the self-elected anti-troll for Appleinsider; iLuv enjoys stating purely positive views on Apple and its products to undoubtedly counteract those with the purely negative.

Thus balance is maintained within the great scheme of things that is the Appleinsider website.
  • Reply 26 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MH01 View Post

Viruses, BSOD??? Guess you have not used a PC lately.

1. you would have to be a total moron not to protect you pc in about 10 min

2. BSOD? Guess you have not heard of windows 7 then.

Actually its hardware/drivers.

Ahhh....... c'mon now! I am a die hard Apple fan and we have 4 Macs in our house right now along with 4 Windows PCs and we have not had one BSOD or a virus with Win 7.

There are so many mis conceptions out there........... I have been supporting building maintaining Windows/Mac computers for 15 years in an enterprise environment. They ALL have their good points and bad points. I love Apple products and I will get 2 iPads for my wife and son.
  • Reply 27 of 149
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joel Breckinridge View Post

Western Europe and Japan are emerging markets? WTF year is analyst Robert Cihra living in...1950?

He uses 'emerging markets', as in emerging for Apple. Not as in The Emerging Markets...
  • Reply 28 of 149
    Quote:

actually, i hate to say it, this is only partially true at this point. Apple is starting to expand their margins at a big rate, by cutting back on many different parts, and not offering their new equivilent on new models.

ie, Blu-Ray is nowhere to be seen. All the Superdrives ain't so super, and Apple is blocking out Blu-Ray to protect itunes movie store.

also, as Apple is able to wring lower manufacturing costs, they haven't been dropping prices much at all. Hey its a great time to be a shareholder. but sadly it feels like the reinvestment Apple ought to be making is less driven by the latest and greatest physical tech, and more by OS enhancements.

much like the iphone, apple is squeezing hardware costs lower to have a higher profit margin. Sad to say this is limiting consumer choice in the case of Blu-Ray. but shareholders ought to be happy.

me, i think its time to offer usb 3 and blu-ray
  • Reply 29 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I was ready to buy a 27" top of the line iMac last year, until I saw it lacked a blu-ray drive.

Since then PCs have come down in price so much I can't see myself buying the iMac, even if Apple ever put a modern optical drive in it. Here in the UK I can literally get a Dell with a higher spec for HALF the price. Just nuts.

I'm not sure what the relevance (if any) of your point is, but I checked and you are totally wrong.

Dell XPS all in one 24inch Quad core computer is currently on the Dell site at Inc £1799

Apple Imac all in one 27inch quad Core is currently on the Apple site at £1634 + vat £1919.95

That's not half the price now is it? it's 93% of the price.

it's cheaper but you do get a lot less for you money :-

Dell processor 2.33 Ghz, Ram 2GB, HD 500GB

Imac processor 2.66 Ghz, Ram 4GB, HD 1TB

Oh and I forgot to mention, the Dell is butt ugly, it's speakers look like an elephants ears, it would just keep putting me off my work.

So let me summarise, for that extra £120.95, I get a beautifully crafted imac with a huge screen dwarfing the largest all-in-one available by Dell. It runs Snow leopard and not Windows (that has to be worth the £120.95 on it's own). I don't need to run virus software, I get a faster processor, I get double the ram, I get twice the hard drive, oh and I get ilife pre-installed. Now let me think, which should i go for?

so next time you're trolling the apple sites, at least come along with something relevant and true, that would be nice.
  • Reply 30 of 149
    Quote:

Blu-Ray is a bag of hurt! Don't get Blu-Ray! We hate Blu-Ray!

oh please, you have been drinking Steve Job's Koolaid. you really believe it is a "Bag of Hurt?" you honestly believe that Apple, the greatest company at licensing and clearance of rights could not handle licensing the patents for Blu-Ray??

Cmon, you are naive. Apple hasn't done blu-ray because they want to protect the itunes movie store. Sadly BD has shown Apple love in the form of total itunes support for Digital Copies, but when asked to return the favor... Apple stonewalls this new technology.

Apple ought to integrate BD. there exist numerous Superdrives that can be used that

1- burn CD/DVD's and read Blu-Rays

2- Burn CD/DVD/and BD

these drives are cheap and cost effective now. they cost about the same as the original superdrives, and... they can be made an option on macs.

simply put, there is no good reason why Apple ought not adopt BD in some models on laptop and desktop lines. let their consumers decide if they want it. the tech is cheap enough to be adopted all over the Apple Mac Product line.
  • Reply 31 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Thus balance is maintained within the great scheme of things that is the Appleinsider website.

There is no need to 'maintain balance,' unless you are adopting the perspective of a troll. AI is an Apple fan website, with most of us here fairly happy with Apple/Mac/SJ/etc but with our differences of opinion.

Go elsewhere. Try engadget.com, for instance, where they love people like you! You'll find lots of validation there.
  • Reply 32 of 149
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Another clueless member. Something tells me you haven't the slightest idea what would even cause a BSOD.

I do I do! A BSOD could be caused in Win7, by Microsoft Update downloading and installing an ethernet driver that is borked. I know from personal experience. It's fun.
  • Reply 33 of 149
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Prices in the UK must be COMPLETELY out of whack with those here in the US. I just did a comparison between the Dell All-in-one and the iMac. I would say the prices were totally comparable. Here are the pluses and minuses of each and the price...

21.5" iMac

- 3.06GHz C2D processor

+ 21.5" screen

+ 4GB DDR3 memory

Price: $1199

Dell All-in-One

+ 3.16GHz C2D processor

-18.5" screen

-4GB DDR2 memory

Price: $944

That is a price difference of $255 in favor of the Dell. However, the iMac has faster memory and a 3" larger screen. I would say that this goes a LONG way to absorbing that $255 difference, and that's not even taking into account the operating system. One final not about this comparison, the Dell doesn't offer a BluRay in this All-in-One.

Unfortunately, you are about right on the laptop side from what I can tell. Comparing a Dell Studio 15 to a comparable 15" MBP is really ugly for the Mac. I'm guessing though that the comparison will be much more favorable if Apple would ever get off their duff and release the MBP update.

Sadly Apple does rip off the UK consumer, I understand the US price doesn't include sales tax etc etc but when you add it all up ex sales tax etc we pay a LOT more.

Dell charges us the same as they charge you in America, Apple does not.

Still I'm an apple user and will remain so.
  • Reply 34 of 149
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

me, i think its time to offer usb 3 and blu-ray

Blu-Ray is just a bag of hurt!
  • Reply 35 of 149
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Virtually anything.

I have fond memories of IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

My particular favourite was NTLDR NOT FOUND. Which meant I was screwed.

As far as the news goes, Apple's been on roll with Macs anyway. This was sort of to be expected, I suppose.
  • Reply 36 of 149
    Quote:

Blu-Ray is just a bag of hurt!

Why is Blu-Ray a bag of hurt?
  • Reply 37 of 149
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Okay, ill play

There you go. Though i very much doubt you would have any idea about PC components.

The about system will blow a mac pro away. Heck you can even Hackintosh the above system, with much better components and overclock it.

Your wasting your time. I've seen how this discussion unfolds in here, and ultimately nothing will convince anyone here that a PC is in any way a better deal. In fact, they seem to want to out-do one another in their absurd dismissal of PC's in order to come off as a truer Mac die-hard.

You and I know what's up, and we can have a great time with our money.
  • Reply 38 of 149
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Okay, ill play

No OS X, no sale.

Seems you spec-hounds just don't get it either.
  • Reply 39 of 149
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Why is Blu-Ray a bag of hurt?

From a licensing perspective, I guess. iLuv was quoting SJ.

Personally, I could care less about Blu-Ray in a portable device. As a storage medium, it's trumped by portable external drives, and I wouldn't want to carry around a bunch of blu-ray discs @ $25 a pop, just so I can get a marginally noticeable image quality improvement on a 15" screen. Seems rather blown out of proportion.

Then again, I actually do crazy things like work on my portables, not carry them around as a glorified media player or fashion accessory.
  • Reply 40 of 149
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Virtually anything.

I have fond memories of IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

My particular favourite was NTLDR NOT FOUND. Which meant I was screwed.

As far as the news goes, Apple's been on roll with Macs anyway. This was sort of to be expected, I suppose.

IRQ is usually a driver issue but can also point to ram issues. This can easily be diagnosed by uninstalling whatever latest drivers were installed in safemode, then reverting to previous drivers or grabbing latest from the internet. If it's a ram issue, running memtest will tell you if a stick has gone bad.

Your NTLDR error happens when the system has a problem finding a solid source to boot from. If it randomly happens, pop in your windows 2000 cd and go into repair mode.

The problems you list here tend not to show their ugly face anymore, however. I have experienced them though, but I can say it's not as much of a headache as you would think.

Try diagnosing a faulty northbridge, then tell me how hard PC's are