Apple inks $240M deal with Samsung for 3M more iPad displays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

I don't understand this.

Samsung just launched an iPhone killing GOOGLE phone. Just yuesterday.

The phone has a 4 inch screen made by Samsung and runs Android. They are trying to kill the iPhone.

Why would Apple choose to do business with them, when they are stabbing us in the back at the same time?

They are in bed with Google, fer chrissakes!

I own a manufacturing company and manufacture for my competition. Without getting into the really deep why this is not a bad thing and good for everyone deal, you will just have to trust that this is how big business is carried out. You can compete and still do business with each other.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

I don't understand this.

The phone has a 4 inch screen made by Samsung and runs Android. They are trying to kill the iPhone.

Why would Apple choose to do business with them, when they are stabbing us in the back at the same time?

It's not a matter of choosing sides, like any supplier, Samsung will sell its products to anyone who is willing to make an acceptable offer. Looks like a win-win for Apple and Samsung. The only question I have is the display that Apple is getting from Samsung the same as or better than the one it has now, if you read yesterday's report on Robotic test reconfirms Apple's iPhone touchscreen superiority it should be answered by Apple.

@http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/03/24/robotic_test_reconfirms_apples_iphone_touchscreen_ superiority.html
  • Reply 23 of 65
    Maybe the 4G iPhone will have the same panel or one similar as the new Galaxy phone. Side by side with the iPhone 3Gs, the Galaxy looked fantastic.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

I don't understand this.

Google keywords, for your enjoyment and edification:

Apple and IBM

Apple and Intel
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

There is nothing wrong with being a fanboy. Plus, there are some educated ones (oddly, they come off much less as fanboys).

That's fine if people have different levels of sophistication in different areas of life. However, this is a forum about Apple and a thread about consumer electronics manufacturing economics. One needs a modicum of understanding about this topic if one is to contribute successfully to this specific discussion.

Okay, here's some education. Here's How to Ask Questions The Smart Way.

Enjoy!

Modicum? Can't you guys use easy words?? Apple fanboys like things to be simple!
  • Reply 26 of 65
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Modicum? Can't you guys use easy words?? Apple fanboys like things to be simple!

Just be happy he didn't use soupçon. Now that would have really messed with your weltanschauung.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Google keywords, for your enjoyment and edification:

Apple and IBM

Apple and Intel

You forgot Apple and Microsoft.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Hey, we're supposed to be giving fanboys some edukashun around here.

• Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:

In that case, Apple needs to manufacture there own LCD panels. Rewarding a disloyal company like Samsung with a Quarter-Billion dollars is crazy.

eh? Any idea of the amount of technology required for such a feat? Jeeeaz. Besides, Apple joined forces with Samsung ages ago to make LCD displays.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

I've wondered - How much more would it cost to manufacture electronics, such as this, in the United States. Would it be so much more that it would significantly add to the cost of the product. It's a shame we can't do this here.

A-LOT!

sorry for the monty python answer...
  • Reply 31 of 65
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Disloyal competitor ASUS builds the damn things for Apple.

Asus builds the computers for Apple? That's news to me, because I thought that Apple contracted them out to just some companies that run factories in China.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Asus builds the computers for Apple? That's news to me, because I thought that Apple contracted them out to just some companies that run factories in China.

Asus is a company that runs factories in China. They also run factories in their homeland of Taiwan, as well as Mexico and the Czech Republic.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:

"Us"? If you work for Apple, you should know the answer.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Wasn't wintek, or whatever their name is that manufactured these?

Also doesn't apple have premium super exclusive deal with lg on display?

edit: k....helps if you read the article too, not just skim through it, they are using multiple suppliers.

btw. I too will side with cutting the guy some slack for his comment, inform him rather than attack him.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Just be happy he didn't use soupçon. Now that would have really messed with your weltanschauung.

I always found it odd that people have trouble with big words or even small words that they don't understand.

Since almost everyone browsing these forums will be doing it on a mac then the 3 seconds it takes to right click on a word and click dictionary is time well spent. I had to do it for weltanschauung, although in the context of the sentence it's meaning is deducible without a dictionary.

Everyone can expand their vocabulary and learn something new, everyday.

Weltanschauung |ˈveltˌänˌ sh ouə ng |

noun ( pl. -schauungen |- sh ouə ng ən|)

a particular philosophy or view of life; the worldview of an individual or group.

ORIGIN German, from Welt ‘world’ + Anschauung ‘perception.’

ps, and right click, speech, talk function is also something to bring sunshine to your life.

pss, obviously this is not intended at Quadra, just everyone who would benefit from this small, yet awesomely powerful function of the Mac OS X.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Wasn't wintek, or whatever their name is that manufactured these?

Also doesn't apple have premium super exclusive deal with lg on display?

I believe Wintek was the supplier of the initial production run of iPad screens.

Consumer electronics companies often second source components. It's actually a good business practice, it is encourages cost competition and alleviates risk due to yield issues from a single supplier. A deal such as this one will probably affect iPads in the upcoming months seeing as how Samsung didn't have an IPS part ready at the time of the iPad launch. This is touched upon in the original post.

Sorry, I don't know of any premium super exclusive deal with LG.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    I think these words have a lot to do with the schadenfreude one derives from having others feel ignorant.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I believe Wintek was the supplier of the initial production run of iPad screens.

Consumer electronics companies often second source components. It's actually a good business practice, it is encourages cost competition and alleviates risk due to yield issues from a single supplier. A deal such as this one will probably affect iPads in the upcoming months seeing as how Samsung didn't have an IPS part ready at the time of the iPad launch. This is touched upon in the original post.

Sorry, I don't know of any premium super exclusive deal with LG.

Thanks for the informative post, I am not a business savvy person, The lg deal is mentioned in the article, and it was widely reported here too.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Quote:

I think these words have a lot to do with the schadenfreude one derives from having others feel ignorant.

Well then it's a poor ROI, because one has almost no idea of how many people don't understand a particular word, let alone a long one.

You basically have to go out of your way to post something that specifically shows that you are too lazy to look up a given word.

This is an anonymous bboard. It's not like you're having a face-to-face conversation and can tell if the other party(ies) are struggling to understand you.

Based on the commentary I read here, at MacRumors, and other similar sites, there is a not-insignificant number of commenters who fail basic reading comprehension. You don't need fancy words to confuse those people.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:

Thanks for the informative post, I am not a business savvy person, The lg deal is mentioned in the article, and it was widely reported here too.

The LG deal mentioned in the article was for a long-term deal. There is nothing indicating that it was exclusive or super premium. My guess is that other companies have access to the same parts (subject to availability and perhaps priced on the spot market).