Apple inks $240M deal with Samsung for 3M more iPad displays

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

I don't understand this.

Samsung just launched an iPhone killing GOOGLE phone. Just yuesterday.

The phone has a 4 inch screen made by Samsung and runs Android. They are trying to kill the iPhone.

Why would Apple choose to do business with them, when they are stabbing us in the back at the same time?

They are in bed with Google, fer chrissakes!

Oh, look, this must be the new iGenius/iLuv alias.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I do find it worrying when someone refers to Apple as 'us', even the stockholders amongst the posters here.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:

The trolls miss the point. It is not that they also sell to Apple's competitors, THEY THEMSELVES are a competitor.

They just released an "iPhone Killer".

It just keeps getting better.

And I don't mean Apple, I mean your posts.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The most expensive component in the iPad is the display and touch-screen interface that costs $80 for all models," that person said. "The 9.7-inch display is more than twice the size of the iPhone 3GS screen and costs five times as much."

Assuming my math is correct the iPad's has 8x the areas of the iPad.
    . iPad: 4:3 = 1.33 ratio @ 9.7" = 7.69"(w) x 5.91"(h) = 45.47" sq

iPhone: 3:2 = 1.5. ratio @ 3.5" = 2.91"(w) x 1.94"(h) = ÷5.65" sq

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7.99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

That is how fanboys look at the situation that isn't how real business decisions are made.

Samsung has done business with Apple for many years. In fact they have been the major supplier in fact maybe the only supplier Apple has used for RAM for years now. If Samsung has the best screens and they offer Apple the best deal that is how business works.

LG also makes LCD screens for Windows users does that mean Apple shouldn't use them either?

I have hitachi harddrives in my Windows systems and in my Macbook Pro. Go figure.

I was going to call you out making an otherwise great post poor for starting it off with a "fanboy" comment, but his next post included "disloyalty to Apple" so I guess it's apropos in this case, assuming it's not another alias of the banned iGenus.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

It just keeps getting better.

And I don't mean Apple, I mean your posts.

In his other thread he predicted Google is going to fail. I think he needs a nap or the radon exposure from living in his parents basement is starting to get to him.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Assuming my math is correct the iPad's has 8x the areas of the iPad.
    . iPad: 4:3 = 1.33 ratio @ 9.7" = 7.69"(w) x 5.91"(h) = 45.47" sq

iPhone: 3:2 = 1.5. ratio @ 3.5" = 2.91"(w) x 1.94"(h) = .5.65" sq

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7.99

I was going to call you out making an otherwise great post poor for starting it off with a "fanboy" comment, but his next post included "disloyalty to Apple" so I guess it's apropos in this case, assuming it's not another alias of the banned iGenus.

I don't think this is iGenus. This is guy is a true iLuv or MobileMe....lol. Now he is predicting Google is going to fail.

Why do guys like this believe someone has to fail in order for Apple to do well? I never get that logic. Like Apple and Google can't both do well?
  • Reply 47 of 65
    caljomaccaljomac Posts: 122member
    Well, I guess this means that more than 3 million ipad preorders have come through them
  • Reply 48 of 65
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

The speaker is inaccurate and misleading.

The iPhone has 153,600 pixels, the iPad has 786,432; it's 5.12 times as big so the 5 times the price of the iPhone screen seems reasonable.

Yes, they confused the diagonal measurement with actual screen size (square inches or square cm).

If the diagonal measurement is twice as long, the actual screen size will be more than 4 times as big (simple geometry). In this case, the diagonal measurement is well more than twice as long.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

In that case, Apple needs to manufacture there own LCD panels. Rewarding a disloyal company like Samsung with a Quarter-Billion dollars is crazy.

'Disloyal'? Interesting choice of word. Almost like one expects all companies that do any business with Apple now required to sign a oath of loyalty to Apple?

I guess Apple should get out of the OS business. That way they can be loyal to MS. Or perhaps they could drop their iPhone to show loyalty to Samsung...they were after all doing busiess with Samsung long before they made the iPhone. With your logic Apple was then disloyal to Samsung when they created the iPhone.

• Reply 50 of 65
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I was going to disagree with you (I know, force of habit) because iGenius usually posts such anti-Apple drivel, but reading over the rest of the posts from AppleRulez, I think I will have to agree with you. No way that level of fanboi rhetoric can be serious.

I think it is time for him to create another alt.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Yes, they confused the diagonal measurement with actual screen size (square inches or square cm).

If the diagonal measurement is twice as long, the actual screen size will be more than 4 times as big (simple geometry). In this case, the diagonal measurement is well more than twice as long.

And if you don't account for ratio then it's also altered. Also, measuring my pixel count to determine areas is only relevant if the dot pitch in the same across displays.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Hey A.I.

Is there anyway I can simply filter out ANY comment that contains the word "Fanboy" or "kool-aid".

I'm so f*king sick of seeing these brain-dead regurgitative word-lemmings barfing-up these terms. Showing that they themselves are exactly what they are saying other people are; ie, completely unoriginal; unable to think for themselves, "fanboys" just of another color.

It's SO tired.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    With substantial investments made in manufacturing plants, LG, Samsung and a host of other electronics manufacturers make their own product and product for others. All a company like Apple has to do is bring a spec to the company and ask for production guidance around cost and turn-around. If the prototype run products meet spec then they have a deal. It is in Apple's best interest to leverage expertise where they don't need to grow it themselves. It would be impossible to cover all the bases in technology given the complexities of the devices being produced. They are being very canny about what they are doing. And while LG and Samsung might leverage the spec to upgrade (for example) their own devices, it is a matter of the whole being more than the sum of the parts.

On the point of competition, Apple competes at one level or another with many of its partners or licensers/licensees: Microsoft, Google, Intel, HP, Samsung, LG, Nokia, to name some major ones. It is the nature of doing business in the 21st century.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Hey A.I.

Is there anyway I can simply filter out ANY comment that contains the word "Fanboy" or "kool-aid".

I'm so f*king sick of seeing these brain-dead regurgitative word-lemmings barfing-up these terms. Showing that they themselves are exactly what they are saying other people are; ie, completely unoriginal; unable to think for themselves, "fanboys" just of another color.

It's SO tired.

What? No mention of the word "troll", "trolling", or "moaner"?
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Quote:

The trolls miss the point. It is not that they also sell to Apple's competitors, THEY THEMSELVES are a competitor.

They just released an "iPhone Killer".

Get a clue. Samsung LCD manufacturing is a completely different division from Samsung Mobile.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:

I don't understand this.

The phone has a 4 inch screen made by Samsung and runs Android. They are trying to kill the iPhone.

Why would Apple choose to do business with them, when they are stabbing us in the back at the same time?

I can imagine that it'd be very difficult to make ANY electronic device without Samsung being involved somewhere along the line, they are just that massive.

Apple pretty much have to accept that they are buying products from a company who do compete directly with them in certain markets. If they didn't accept that, Apple might as well pack their bags and go out of business now, as they probably couldn't operate without Samsung.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:

In that case, Apple needs to manufacture there own LCD panels. Rewarding a disloyal company like Samsung with a Quarter-Billion dollars is crazy.

You sound like a fanboy and a troll with remarks like this.

Samsung also makes the current microprocessor in the iPhone. Samsungs fab will be making the new A4 processor. Samsung sells a lot of Apple components. Microsoft sells windows, yet Apple still licenses their push technology for the iPhone. Apple often uses parts from Sony and other companies that create competing products. There is nothing disloyal about having a component business and a consumer business. These things are different parts of the company. The same managers do not "scheme" to hurt Apple.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    Quote:

I don't understand this.

This afternoon I brought up the maps on my iPhone for directions. OMG! It's GOOGLE maps! Apple is in bed with Google. Maybe Apple should stop doing business with that traitor Apple... Oh, wait..
  • Reply 59 of 65
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

What? No mention of the word "troll", "trolling", or "moaner"?

You can't stop moaning.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Trolls...LOL. Read the entire thread I guess everyone except you is a troll. This is business. Samsung has supplied Apple with hardware for a very long time well before any deemed iPhone Killer came out.

maybe you wouldn't be labelled yourself if you weren't always so quick dropping the 'f-bomb'.