February mobile device traffic up 193%, led by Apple iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Fueled by strong growth of both the iPhone and Android platforms and heavy application use on both mobile devices, mobile traffic increased 193 percent year-over-year in February.



The latest Mobile Metrics Report from ad firm AdMob was released Thursday, and showed the tremendous growth seen in the company's ads served to more than 15,000 mobile Web sites and applications around the world. In all, smartphones like the iPhone accounted for 48 percent of AdMob's worldwide traffic, well up from the 35 percent share it took in February 2009.



Apple remains the far-and-away leader in presence in the ad network. February 2010 numbers show the iPhone OS taking a 50 percent share of all worldwide smartphone operating systems. That number has held consistent since December of 2009, even as Android's presence continues to grow.



Google's Android mobile operating system represented 24 percent of the worldwide smartphone market online in February, up from 19 percent in December 2009. The February numbers were also a dramatic increase from a year prior, when smartphones with Google's operating system were just 2 percent of the market.



But Apple also saw a noteworthy increase year over year, with its 50 percent share up from just 33 percent of the market in February 2009.







While the iPhone and Android have seen big gains over the last year, the big loser, according to AdMob, has been Nokia's Symbian mobile platform. The survey found that Symbian's share of requests collapsed from 43 percent in February 2009 to 18 percent in February 2010.







Late last year, AdMob was approached by Apple for a potential acquisition, but the firm was eventually bought by rival Google. One recent report alleged that Google willingly overpaid in its $750 million acquisition of AdMob simply to keep the company away from Apple. But the iPhone maker quickly responded by purchasing mobile advertiser Quattro Wireless for $275 million.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 54
    Headline does not match article: How is it you can relate "traffic" to "share" - this article is not about traffic at all.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    i'm not saying this report sounds fishy, but AdMob's data needs to be interpreted while being aware that they are now owned by Google.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post


    i'm not saying this report sounds fishy, but AdMob's data needs to be interpreted while being aware that they are now owned by Google.



    very true
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post


    Headline does not match article: How is it you can relate "traffic" to "share" - this article is not about traffic at all.



    It said in the first line - "mobile traffic increased 193 percent year-over-year in February"



    Out of the traffic it saw, iPhone was 48% of it.



    what's so confusing?
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post




    Google's Android mobile operating system represented 24 percent of the worldwide smartphone market online in February, up from 19 percent in December 2009. The February numbers were also a dramatic increase from a year prior, when smartphones with Google's operating system were just 2 percent of the market.



    But Apple also saw a noteworthy increase year over year, with its 50 percent share up from just 33 percent of the market in February 2009.




    2 to 24 is an increase of 1200%.



    33 to 50 is an increase of 51%.



    These kind of changes are not sustainable. Google will fail.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,776member
    Do these figures include the iPod touch as well, or just the iPhone "smartphone" ?
  • Reply 7 of 54
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Wow, this is app is going to boost the iPhone usage quite a bit, allows one to use wifi if in range, saving one tons of minutes and costs, especially overseas! The call clarity is much better than 3G, sounds like the person is in the same room as you. Impressive, David Pogue just demoed it on CNBC.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post


    Headline does not match article: How is it you can relate "traffic" to "share" - this article is not about traffic at all.



    Share of mobile traffic.



    The iPhone's share of worldwide mobile traffic is 50%.



    Why is that so difficult to understand?
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post


    2 to 24 is an increase of 1200%.



    33 to 50 is an increase of 51%.



    These kind of changes are not sustainable. Google will fail.



    The smartphone market will only increase over time neither Google or Apple will fail.



    Google stock is running at 570.00 a share with 54% earning groth last year. With a market cap of 135 billion. Yeah they are doomed.



    Both Apple and Google are very strong in the market neither has to fail for the other to do well.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    Both Apple and Google are very strong in the market neither has to fail for the other to do well.



    If that is true, then why is Google trying to kill the iPhone?
  • Reply 11 of 54
    caljomaccaljomac Posts: 122member
    Wow.......i wonder what'll happen when the iphone 4g (well not 4g, coz its not gonna be called that any more) comes out . more AT&Fail????
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post


    If that is true, then why is Google trying to kill the iPhone?



    That is marketing rhetoric. Terms like iPhone Killer, Kindle Killer, Droid Killer and any other Killer have not only become old but they are totally bullshit.



    All of these companies are so strong neither could kill the other. The iPhone is a great smartphone, Many of the HTC phones and Droid phones running Android are great smartphones.



    Right now the smartphone market is actually fairly small over the years its going to explode there is plenty of room for everyone.



    Even if you look at Verizon and ATT ads, while the two beat the hell out of each others its not like either ATT or Verizon could kill the other.



    You have to look at it this way, if you love either the iPhone or a Android driven phone then the competition is only going to make both better, in the long run that benefits us because competition breeds innovation.



    It is never good when one company dominates a market. The end users loses in that case everytime.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post


    If that is true, then why is Google trying to kill the iPhone?



    What kind of stupid question is this?



    A business is an entity who's there to earn money. Google and Apple are both in the smartphone business. To grow Android, and earn money Google and its partners have to produce a device that gives the user a reason to go with it instead of the iPhone (in your words and something that's way overused, "kill it"). Same thing with the iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    It is never good when one company dominates a market. The end users loses in that case everytime.



    Apple dominates the high-end PC market.



    How have end users lost because of that?
  • Reply 15 of 54
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    The smartphone market will only increase over time neither Google or Apple will fail.



    Google stock is running at 570.00 a share with 54% earning groth last year. With a market cap of 135 billion. Yeah they are doomed.



    Both Apple and Google are very strong in the market neither has to fail for the other to do well.



    99% of Googles money is made on advertising. Hope that does not dry up.



    And the stock price is ludicrous. Some think Apples is crazy.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post


    If that is true, then why is Google trying to kill the iPhone?



    Easy, they aren't. They are competing with Apple, sure, but that doesn't imply trying to kill anything. To quote the very comment you were replying to:

    "Both Apple and Google are very strong in the market neither has to fail for the other to do well."

    How hard is that to understand?
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post


    It said in the first line - "mobile traffic increased 193 percent year-over-year in February"



    Out of the traffic it saw, iPhone was 48% of it.



    what's so confusing?



    I assume you are saying "Out of the traffic AdMob saw, iPhone was 48% of it." - the rest of the article is about share of OS and has nothing to do with traffic.



    I simply expected to read something about traffic not what mobile phone OS was increasing.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post


    Apple dominates the high-end PC market.



    How have end users lost because of that?



    I think extremeskater means a full monopoly on the market as a whole. Where you have no choice but to buy one company's products, regardless if you have a preference for something different. The end user would be at the mercy of whatever price points and release schedule that company wanted.



    While Apple does have its niche in the high-end section of the computer market, it does not dominate the market as a whole. I can still buy my retail-packaged, Windows-based computers. Or I can build my own computer and then install whatever OS I want on it.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post


    99% of Googles money is made on advertising. Hope that does not dry up.



    And the stock price is ludicrous. Some think Apples is crazy.



    As long as there are businesses, there will be advertising. That will never dry up.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post


    Share of mobile traffic.



    The iPhone's share of worldwide mobile traffic is 50%.



    Why is that so difficult to understand?



    The article states:



    "the iPhone OS taking a 50 percent share of all worldwide smartphone operating systems."



    What has that got to do with traffic - seems to me you are making a rather large logic leap here. Share of operating systems does not equal worldwide mobile traffic.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    Easy, they aren't. They are competing with Apple, sure, but that doesn't imply trying to kill anything. To quote the very comment you were replying to:

    "Both Apple and Google are very strong in the market neither has to fail for the other to do well."

    How hard is that to understand?



    Agree.



    From a legal standpoint, "killing" your competitors will result in a monopoly and anti-trust lawsuits.



    From a competition/end-user standpoint, "killing" the competition means that innovation and new products go flat. Look at the market from pre-2007. Smartphones were mostly WinMo-based, considered an "exclusive" item for business users, and the carrier plans/phones were high.



    Now look at the market after the iPhone. Smartphones have exploded into the everyday user area. You have your choice of OSs (iPhone, Android, WinMo/WP7S, Symbian) and form factors. Smartphone hardware and plan prices have dropped to more acceptable levels.



    Competition is a good thing and Google and Apple can definitely be successful without having to kill each other off. Go forward in time and a new company with an even better OS/hardware combination will show up and spur progress further.
Sign In or Register to comment.