New hack could allow 'jailbroken' Apple iPads at launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not true. The warranty is voided by the action of jailbreaking even if you subsequently restore the phone or pad. The question is whether anyone can tell what you did.

If you restore the phone and Apple is unable to tell it was ever jailbroken, then you are still safe, but there's nothing to stop Apple from simply putting something in the firmware, or giving their store employees tools that can detect if the phone was ever *previously* jailbroken. So you can restore the phone, but it's still a gamble and if anyone finds out you did it, the warranty is still void.

Also, relying on some shifty, anonymous, quasi-criminal on the Internet to restore your phone is almost as dumb as relying on that same person to jailbreak it for you IMO.

False. More FUD by people who don't know anything about jailbreaking. Keep your uninformed opinions to yourself, pls. Or at least specify that it is in fact uniformed opinion.

I've been jailbreaking for 3 years, and have had 2 phones replaced under warranty. Knowing what you're doing is the first part. Jailbreaking is the second.

There is some misinformation in the article, specifically regarding the required USB reboot. This is not the case at all. GEOhot has produced the most stable iPhone jailbreak, i won't ever use anything else again, nor will I ever update my firmware from 3.1.2 unless are really great reason has arisen (there ain't one).

I'm encouraged by Geohots announcement, though not surprised at all because the guy is brilliant, and will happily JB my iPad as soon as I get it home. Wouldn't want to be without it!
  • Reply 22 of 72
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Apple's attempts at creating a closed ecosystem will continue to fail.

Yup, that iPhone thing is a complete flop

Jailbraking matters to an extreme minority who aren't the target audience of these devices. Whether or not it exists will have absolutely zero effect on the success of the platform - just like it's had no affect on the success of the iPhone and iPod touch. Yet another non-issue that's presented as the end of the world in geek oriented internet echo chambers
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

...someone tell me the point of the video with the story "New hack could allow 'jailbroken' Apple iPads at launch".

I think it is to show that the jailbreak is "untethered," meaning that the device can be rebooted without being connected via USB to a Mac or PC (as explained on his site.) Took me a while to realize the point too.

Can anybody here please enlighten me, though, about the 3-D interface he's got there-- I assume it is tied to the jailbreak? Thanks.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Manictosh View Post

To me it means: A reference to a court's right to punish for actions or omissions as if they were criminal.

The most common example is finding a parent who is delinquent in child support in contempt of court and penalizing him or her with a jail sentence. When a hearing is quasi-criminal, the quasi-defendant is entitled to all due process protections afforded a criminal defendant.

What does it mean to you?

Or more specifically:

"Quasi Criminal Law & Legal Definition

Quasi-criminal refers to treating an act in a civil case as if it were occuring in a criminal proceeding. It is a court's right to punish for actions or omissions as if they were criminal. For example, a person may be held in contempt of court for a civil matter, such as divorce, and be given a criminal punishment of serving jail time."

@ http://definitions.uslegal.com/q/quasi-criminal/

good first post welcome to AI
  • Reply 25 of 72
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    If a person with a jailbroken iPhone/iPod touch had a bunch of pirated apps on their device, that might be construed as criminal. If Apple wants to detect something, they should work on detecting that. The danger of massive jailbreaking and piracy is that app developers might get tired of being ripped off and quit developing for the platform.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

.....I've been jailbreaking for 3 years, and have had 2 phones replaced under warranty. Knowing what you're doing is the first part. Jailbreaking is the second.

That's a key point. As I pointed out earlier, from what I've read somewhere that those who didn't know what they were doing caused problems for themselves. I guess this is like adding more RAM to your MBP, read the warnings and instructions before you open it up. er, is that an admission that you have been doing it for three years?
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

That's a key point. As I pointed out earlier, from what I've read somewhere that those who didn't know what they were doing caused problems for themselves. I guess this is like adding more RAM to your MBP, read the warnings and instructions before you open it up. er, is that an admission that you have been doing it for three years?

Without any doubt, jailbreaking is smooth and easy for anyone who "knows what they're doing." That is a very generic statement, but it has meaning for those who "know."

I know at least 2 dozen iPhone owners who are not jailbroken, but who drool over some of the features that my iPhone has. Most of my co-workers. Truth is I don't trust any of them to not screw it up somehow, (like bringing their phone into Apple while JB'd), so I've never offered to JB for them. You need to know a little about OSX, the iPhone, programming, and general electronic device behavior. You also need to READ. If you can READ the documentation online, you can learn all you need to know, and JB to your heart's content....the sad thing is most people won't read, they just want the satisfaction without the knowledge. I for one believe that true satisfaction only comes from actually knowing. but I digress.

Jailbreaking is great, very beneficial to the user, and not "dangerous" at all. You need to be smart, and not abuse it. You need someone who has been jailbreaking for a few years to tell you the history of jailbreaking and the different quirks and behaviors that have been seen over the years. Without this, you have no way of understanding what you're seeing.

Not trying to sound arrogant, but JB's are not for all users, and really should be considered exclusive to savy and informed individuals, for safety's sake. The first time Mobile Substrate crashes on someone, it should be a shrug and restart, not a panic.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

Not that I would want to try to jailbreak an iPad or other iDevise, I read that first if you should want to really know what you are doing and how to do it. Some who have tried have and didn't do it right were open to a worm attack specifically designed to attack that weakness. When these jailbreakers took their iPhones to an Apple store, they were informed that they had voided their warranty--so you broke it, you fix it.

Thanks, you posted just before I got mine done.

put it in DFU mode, download latest OS and restore as new

what's funny is that some of the newer jailbreaks require a Mac and won't work on Windows
  • Reply 29 of 72
    GO GEO!!!!!

And yes, restoring your phone does work to unjailbreak, but in your iTunes backup of your phone there will always be fragments of your jailbreak and every app you ever DLed.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Without any doubt, jailbreaking is smooth and easy for anyone who "knows what they're doing." That is a very generic statement, but it has meaning for those who "know."

I know at least 2 dozen iPhone owners who are not jailbroken, but who drool over some of the features that my iPhone has. Most of my co-workers. Truth is I don't trust any of them to not screw it up somehow, (like bringing their phone into Apple while JB'd), so I've never offered to JB for them. You need to know a little about OSX, the iPhone, programming, and general electronic device behavior. You also need to READ. If you can READ the documentation online, you can learn all you need to know, and JB to your heart's content....the sad thing is most people won't read, they just want the satisfaction without the knowledge. I for one believe that true satisfaction only comes from actually knowing. but I digress.

Jailbreaking is great, very beneficial to the user, and not "dangerous" at all. You need to be smart, and not abuse it. You need someone who has been jailbreaking for a few years to tell you the history of jailbreaking and the different quirks and behaviors that have been seen over the years. Without this, you have no way of understanding what you're seeing.

Not trying to sound arrogant, but JB's are not for all users, and really should be considered exclusive to savy and informed individuals, for safety's sake. The first time Mobile Substrate crashes on someone, it should be a shrug and restart, not a panic.

Now that was the most practical common sense post about jailbreaking I have read yet! Nice post!

I mistakenly updated to 3.13 and it killed my JB. Hopefully this wil let me JB my phone again. I can't wait to get home from work to try it.....
  • Reply 31 of 72
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

The only reason the iPhone is locked down is to promote the App Store and profits for Apple.

You appear to have forgotten to add 'in my opinion' or some such qualifier to this bald statement. This meme is rapidly becoming an internet fact, sorry FACT, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

A large proportion of apps in the app store are free to the end user, meaning they cost Apple for their hosting and bandwidth with zero financial return i.e. they represent a loss. Out of their commission on the paid apps, along with the aforementioned costs add credit card transaction fees and general admin and maintenance costs for the service. Also you have set against the remainder the loss of hardware sales (where they do make their money) to people who do not want to be restricted to the closed model. They have always said that ITS is essentially profit neutral and it looks to me that they are following the same model for the app store. Perhaps they do break even on the right side (or perhaps suffer a small loss) but compared to their overall sales it is peanuts. They provide a service to stimulate the hardware sales that earn them their multi billion dollar profits, that's what the logic looks like to me.

So why have a closed system? I suspect there are clauses in their contract with AT&T that require it, because unrestricted tethering would break their network. I think they do genuinely want to make the iPhone as secure as possible, don't you think that is a responsible attitude? A big part of Apple's hugely successful brand is user-experience, and getting your phone hacked by some iffy app out of the Ukraine does not a happy user-experience make.

It's not as though you are compelled to buy one of these things, nor do Apple try to hide the nature of the eco-system. as an informed consumer you have a choice, if you don't want such a controlled environment don't buy one. There's plenty of others to choose from, and then you can peruse your bathing beauties to your heart's content. The world seems to be filling up with people who are getting angry for the sake of getting angry, I just don't understand it.

Quote:

I'm a adult.

Thank you for the clarification.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

GO GEO!!!!!

And yes, restoring your phone does work to unjailbreak, but in your iTunes backup of your phone there will always be fragments of your jailbreak and every app you ever DLed.

Truth. But just like Mac OSX, a full restore does NOT included restoring from a backup. As far as I've always been concerned, restoring from backups in any scenario, defeats the purpose of the restore.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Manictosh View Post

... What does it mean to you?

Quasi means "sort of" or partially, and criminal means ... criminal. A criminal is someone who breaks the law or behaviour that is illegal.

Since a person is a technically a criminal if they break any law, (even something like running a red light, not paying your taxes on time, or violating a contract), the "quasi-criminal" term is actually being kind to the jailbreakers.

I don't see how it's contentious at all to refer to them with the relatively mild term "quasi-criminal."
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Quote:

Quasi means "sort of" or partially, and criminal means ... criminal. A criminal is someone who breaks the law or behaviour that is illegal.

Since a person is a technically a criminal if they break any law, (even something like running a red light, not paying your taxes on time, or violating a contract), the "quasi-criminal" term is actually being kind to the jailbreakers.

I don't see how it's contentious at all to refer to them with the relatively mild term "quasi-criminal."

Well, you ARE wrong, so goodbye.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

You are wrong and your attitude betrays you in your words.

First of all, a person is not a criminal if they break any law (not all laws are criminal). Secondly, even if it was a criminal offense, no one would call people committing such minor acts criminals.

Thirdly, the other posters definitions are spot on. It is a big deal to treat a civil case as if it was a criminal one. The term quasi-criminal is not a term to be thrown around lightly.

Lastly, like I said, your attitude betrays you. You came up with your own definition for quasi-criminal. You claim that it means "sort of a criminal", but you also say that jailbreakers are lucky to be called that. This means that you believe people who jailbreak their phones to be practically criminals or full fledged criminals.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Also keep in mind that all of the legit jailbreaking efforts are done for free, and anyone is free to choose not to use the free tools being provided.

And furthermore, the fact that my phone is jailbroken is hurting neither you nor Apple in any way. And considering I personally do not pirate any software, I am not hurting any developers either. This whole argument seems silly to me, given the fact that what each of us does with our hardware has absolutely no effect on others.

In other news, people sometimes paint their cars a different color, and cut the finger tips off their gloves, and put dimmer switches in their house.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

In other news, people sometimes paint their cars a different color, and cut the finger tips off their gloves, and put dimmer switches in their house.

I J-walk when there are no cars coming in either direction but that doesn't mean I'm a bank robber. I drive above the speed limit but have never set bombs to explode on a bus if it goes below 50mph. I participate in office betting pools but have never been a bookie nor whacked a guy that couldn't pay.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:

A criminal is someone who breaks the law or behaviour that is illegal.

Or works in banking...
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Does anyone know for a fact whether jailbreaking your own iPhone is illegal??? If so, please cite the code noting the state or if it's Federal statute. Nuff said on the legality??
  • Reply 40 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Does anyone know for a fact whether jailbreaking your own iPhone is illegal??? If so, please cite the code noting the state or if it's Federal statute. Nuff said on the legality??

It is against Apple's iPhone EULA.

EULA's are enforceable in court. Make of that what you will.