Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.3 with QuickTime X, OpenGL improvements

Comments

• Reply 101 of 172
    You're going to love this...

I thought the update problem I'm having was something to do with display support.

Uh uh... nope...

Safari is not playing nice with flash.

The Flash ads in Safari are causing my iMac to fritz.

Never ever happened in 2 1/2 years until this update.

Beware!
  • Reply 102 of 172
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Wrong question! Tell us what we should have done to prepare for the update.

My computer has slowed down to a crawl.

EDIT: Now, the update has stopped after running for half an hour. it says: SafariErrorDomain error 2.

You do have a backup ready, no?
  • Reply 103 of 172
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vitaflo View Post

FWIW, my OpenGL wasn't updated with this updater. Still the same as 10.6.2. Using a 3 yo MBP. Perhaps my card just won't work with the new drivers?

What card is in your system?

8600GM? If so, it's supported officially by Nvidia.
  • Reply 104 of 172
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Prepare?

You answered my question. If you simply downloaded the update and applied it without running Disk Utility to at least check the condition of your hard drive then you have no business complaining about any problems you may have. If you failed to make a backup of your data you have no business complaining about problems either.

Yes, you need to prepare for any update you apply to your system. How do you know your hard drive doesn't have issues that would foul up an update? How do you know your system is healthy and not corrupted? Applying any update to a system of unknown stability is asking for trouble.
  • Reply 105 of 172
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

You're going to love this...

I thought the update problem I'm having was something to do with display support.

Uh uh... nope...

Safari is not playing nice with flash.

The Flash ads in Safari are causing my iMac to fritz.

Never ever happened in 2 1/2 years until this update.

Beware!

No one needs to "beware". Your system is corrupted. You did it to yourself by not taking any steps to ensure your system was healthy before applying the update. You may have to re-install OS X to clear your troubles. The 10.6.3 update is NOT the source of your troubles. You are.
  • Reply 106 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You answered my question. If you simply downloaded the update and applied it without running Disk Utility to at least check the condition of your hard drive then you have no business complaining about any problems you may have. If you failed to make a backup of your data you have no business complaining about problems either.

Yes, you need to prepare for any update you apply to your system. How do you know your hard drive doesn't have issues that would foul up an update? How do you know your system is healthy and not corrupted? Applying any update to a system of unknown stability is asking for trouble.

I'm torn on your post. While I agree with your post in practice as I take precautions when I update my system, I can't and don't expect everyone to do the same. I feel that if running Repairing Permissions and Verifying the Disk was absolutely necessary that the install should initialize and run Disk Utility before updating. I also think that a stern warning should appear telling users to back up, etc. before updating. This is a Mac after all, not Linux.
  • Reply 107 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

So, its just shy of OGL3.0 compliant.

Yep. Really, really pathetic for a multi-media and graphics desktop computer. PC cards have OpenGL 4.0 support with nvidia Fermi GPU's as of now and Windows users have DirectX 11 as an option. What is Apple playing at?
  • Reply 108 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm torn on your post. While I agree with your post in practice as I take precautions when I update my system, I can't and don't expect everyone to do the same. I feel that if running Repairing Permissions and Verifying the Disk was absolutely necessary that the install should initialize and run Disk Utility before updating. I also think that a stern warning should appear telling users to back up, etc. before updating. This is a Mac after all, not Linux.

I agree. This is a Mac.

Besides, I did back-up my system, Time Machine runs constantly, and I have checked my system at least a couple of times since I installed snow leopard 6 months ago with absolutely zero problems showing. I don't call this "preparation" for an update. This is just sop.

This is the third time since I updated this afternoon that the computer just quit on me except the last time the screen went to black... no more blue and pink... and it's still running.

So... beware. This update could cause serious problems for you.
  • Reply 109 of 172
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Am I the only one here getting an "error installing upgrade", twice, both times after having downloaded the package again? On a 2.16ghz intel white 24" imac, with 10.6.2....

Very strange....
  • Reply 110 of 172
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:

I agree. This is a Mac.

Besides, I did back-up my system, Time Machine runs constantly, and I have checked my system at least a couple of times since I installed snow leopard 6 months ago with absolutely zero problems showing. I don't call this "preparation" for an update. This is just sop.

This is the third time since I updated this afternoon that the computer just quit on me except the last time the screen went to black... no more blue and pink... and it's still running.

So... beware. This update could cause serious problems for you.

I do not know if this will help any, but try turning Time Machine to 'off' during a download. After all, Time Machine is a background process that is competing for resources. Generally, I shut down all applications, turn off Time Machine, and then do a Software Update. I patiently wait until the process completes with a restart. After several days, and if I'm satisfied with the update, I will do a 'Backup Now' on Time Machine. If for some reason the update is unsatisfactory, I download the 'combo' so I know that the update is internally consistent.
  • Reply 111 of 172
    What is the combo? I was reading this thread diagonally and I am sure I 've seen it before.

Anyway I am taking my valuable superduper full system backup and I ll try to install the update again.

Hopefully I won't get the error installing the update again...
  • Reply 112 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

I do not know if this will help any, but try turning Time Machine to 'off' during a download. After all, Time Machine is a background process that is competing for resources. Generally, I shut down all applications, turn off Time Machine, and then do a Software Update. I patiently wait until the process completes with a restart. After several days, and if I'm satisfied with the update, I will do a 'Backup Now' on Time Machine. If for some reason the update is unsatisfactory, I download the 'combo' so I know that the update is internally consistent.

The only part I didn't do was to shut down Time Machine... but I always do a restart and then I do the update.

As it is... I'll be reformatting my drive and reinstalling Snow Leopard.

I've had this iMac for over 2 1/2 years and I've been through 2 system changes, tiger to leopard to snow leopard... several software updates and this is the first time I'll have to reformat the drive.

It's hooped. It shuts down about every 10 minutes now.

Oh... and I tried the combo.
  • Reply 113 of 172
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I agree. This kind of geeky approach to routine tasks should not be not necessary, and it is not necessary. Gearheads like to tell non-gearheads this kind of nonsense to make themselves feel superior.
  • Reply 114 of 172
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

The only part I didn't do was to shut down Time Machine... but I always do a restart and then I do the update.

As it is... I'll be reformatting my drive and reinstalling Snow Leopard.

I've had this iMac for over 2 1/2 years and I've been through 2 system changes, tiger to leopard to snow leopard... several software updates and this is the first time I'll have to reformat the drive.

It's hooped. It shuts down about every 10 minutes now.

Oh... and I tried the combo.

Reformatting is not required, even to completely reinstall OSX.
  • Reply 115 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I agree. This kind of geeky approach to routine tasks should not be not necessary, and it is not necessary. Gearheads like to tell non-gearheads this kind of nonsense to make themselves feel superior.

I wouldn't say it's always to feel superior. I do it, but I'm also prone to do crazy things to my system that i feel requires the extra precaution, though it's probably more paranoia from some catastrophic issue we had a long, long time ago.
  • Reply 116 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Reformatting is not required, even to completely reinstall OSX.

Yeah, i'd just restore the OS over itself and then install the updates. Outside of a HW issue being the root cause I can't imagine this not being pretty much fool proof.
  • Reply 117 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

What is the combo? I was reading this thread diagonally and I am sure I 've seen it before.

Anyway I am taking my valuable superduper full system backup and I ll try to install the update again.

Hopefully I won't get the error installing the update again...

it's just a combination of all potential updates that all Macs running 10.6.x would need, whereas the one your System Updater grabs is based on your previous update history in the Receipts folder so it only grabs the needed updates, hence the smaller file size.
  • Reply 118 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

what card is in your system?

8600gm? If so, it's supported officially by nvidia.

ati x1600.
  • Reply 119 of 172
    Quote:

it's just a combination of all potential updates that all Macs running 10.6.x would need, whereas the one your System Updater grabs is based on your previous update history in the Receipts folder so it only grabs the needed updates, hence the smaller file size.

In case previous updates might have been corrupted during or after install?
  • Reply 120 of 172
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

What I meant was the full update all rolled into one piece. A Software Update is an incremental update. A combo can be useful, but it is large. I usually do Software Updates, but once, I had some sort of an unauthorized program signature problem. I resolved that by installing the internally consistent combo.

This is the link to use only if necessary:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017