Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.3 with QuickTime X, OpenGL improvements

Comments

• Reply 141 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yes, you need to prepare for any update you apply to your system. How do you know your hard drive doesn't have issues that would foul up an update? How do you know your system is healthy and not corrupted? Applying any update to a system of unknown stability is asking for trouble.

He probably has bought into the myth that Macs 'just work'...
  • Reply 142 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Actually, this is what I found quite funny about the "prepare" advice.

As mentioned, my iMac is 2 1/2 years old and has been through 2 OS updates and several software updates. Through all of that I've had absolutely zero problems (other than what appears to be a memory leak in InDesign). I had issues with Time Machine but that "was my" fault.

In other words, my Mac just worked.

So now I have a problem with this particular update and it's "my" fault??

That statement just seemed a tad stupid to me after having disclosed my history with this computer.

I will give it a rest now, but, just to let you know, another Mac site seems to have more tolerant members who are allowed to have problems and it seems that there are quite a few, there are well over 500 comments with many of those comments diagnosing various ailments... so, beware (and, I guess, prepare).
  • Reply 143 of 172
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Well, when you shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre, you get what you get.
  • Reply 144 of 172
    Graphics glitches seem to be gone, but memory management is still absolute garbage under Snowy. Still experiencing pageouts galore. Really beginning to hate Snow Leopard. Remember when Snow Leopard was about optimizing and streamling? Hahaha...what a joke. Maybe the once the iPad is established Apple will find some time to actually address the fundamentals again.

Yeah, it's all my fault, and this thread is a figment of my imagination...http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...art=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 145 of 172
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually, this is what I found quite funny about the "prepare" advice.

As mentioned, my iMac is 2 1/2 years old and has been through 2 OS updates and several software updates. Through all of that I've had absolutely zero problems (other than what appears to be a memory leak in InDesign). I had issues with Time Machine but that "was my" fault.

In other words, my Mac just worked.

So now I have a problem with this particular update and it's "my" fault??

That statement just seemed a tad stupid to me after having disclosed my history with this computer.

I will give it a rest now, but, just to let you know, another Mac site seems to have more tolerant members who are allowed to have problems and it seems that there are quite a few, there are well over 500 comments with many of those comments diagnosing various ailments... so, beware (and, I guess, prepare).

My apologies if my statement came across as overly harsh.

My point being that you did not appear to be approaching your computer problem in any sort of reasonable fashion. It was more "hit or miss".

Then, we others here tried to help you, your response wasn't all that appreciative.

I doubt anyone here, me included, has any axe to grind with you. But you do need to take some responsibility if your own actions, or lack of them, cause you grief.

Macs do "just work", but it helps to follow directions.

You never did respond regarding another's suggestion to try the Combo download. This often corrects problems hiding in older installs, and is often the best way to correct issues.

So, is it all good now?
  • Reply 146 of 172
    quantzquantz Posts: 94member
    Quote:

You answered my question. If you simply downloaded the update and applied it without running Disk Utility to at least check the condition of your hard drive then you have no business complaining about any problems you may have. If you failed to make a backup of your data you have no business complaining about problems either.

Yes, you need to prepare for any update you apply to your system. How do you know your hard drive doesn't have issues that would foul up an update? How do you know your system is healthy and not corrupted? Applying any update to a system of unknown stability is asking for trouble.

I second that.

Never had any problem with an update.

I update 10.6.3 Combo. Granted, first start, I had a funny display.

I shut down the Mac, made a restart, it chimed twice, and here you go.

Works flawlessly.

PS : I run Onyx twice a month. May be useful.
  • Reply 147 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

My apologies if my statement came across as overly harsh.

My point being that you did not appear to be approaching your computer problem in any sort of reasonable fashion. It was more "hit or miss".

Then, we others here tried to help you, your response wasn't all that appreciative.

I doubt anyone here, me included, has any axe to grind with you. But you do need to take some responsibility if your own actions, or lack of them, cause you grief.

Macs do "just work", but it helps to follow directions.

You never did respond regarding another's suggestion to try the Combo download. This often corrects problems hiding in older installs, and is often the best way to correct issues.

So, is it all good now?

Actually, I did answer all questions and I did say thank you to the people who actually helped me and I did mention that I tried the combo update and I acknowledged anyone who gave me a tip to try.

I did not understand the "prepare" statement because, to me, that is standard operating procedure; you always keep your Mac backed-up and you check every once in a while to see if all is fine in your computer. Everything was operating smoothly until this update. As noted: everything worked smoothly through 2 OS changes and several software updates... and yet, somehow, I'm not acting responsibly and it's "my" fault. I don't think you would appreciate that comment either.

All is good as long as I don't open Safari.
  • Reply 148 of 172
    Quote:

Actually, I did answer all questions and I did say thank you to the people who actually helped me and I did mention that I tried the combo update and I acknowledged anyone who gave me a tip to try.

I did not understand the "prepare" statement because, to me, that is standard operating procedure; you always keep your Mac backed-up and you check every once in a while to see if all is fine in your computer. Everything was operating smoothly until this update. As noted: everything worked smoothly through 2 OS changes and several software updates... and yet, somehow, I'm not acting responsibly and it's "my" fault. I don't think you would appreciate that comment either.

All is good as long as I don't open Safari.

Before and after every update (software, OS, whatever), you should at least repair permissions.

Period.
  • Reply 149 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I would expect everyone at the AI forum to tell me they have never heard of such problems.

I hate to sound harsh, but did you read my response to your posting? It's no doubt that any computer can have problems, but you didn't come into this clearly stating what you'd done to try and fix the problem until now. A lot of little things in the computer have to work properly for your operating system and programs to run properly. If any one something fails, the results can be bewildering failures.

I did suggest that your computer's hardware may be faulty. I suggested some things to check as well (if memory serves). I think (meaning "strongly suggest") you should run the hardware tests for your computer (if you have them--late model machines may not ship with the Apple Hardware Test tool) or take it to either Apple or a qualified Apple dealer that you trust. Or you could call Apple on the phone.

Furthermore, something I didn't suggest: have you checked the power your computer is getting? Is your computer plugged into an undamaged outlet that isn't sharing a circuit with lots of other devices? Can you take it somewhere else and plug it in to see if the bad behavior persists?

Bad hardware will cause extremely strange computer behavior, so you ought to take this possibility seriously.
  • Reply 150 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHarborGuy View Post

I wonder how much the "OpenGL Improvements" will help out Valve's games via Steam coming next month.

approx NaN%

• Reply 151 of 172
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,502member
    Quote:

No one needs to "beware". Your system is corrupted. You did it to yourself by not taking any steps to ensure your system was healthy before applying the update. You may have to re-install OS X to clear your troubles. The 10.6.3 update is NOT the source of your troubles. You are.

I'm actually having a similar problem. I can't properly view Adobe's website or Google's Analytics anymore!!

Does this Adobe page render correctly for you?
  • Reply 152 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'm actually having a similar problem. I can't properly view Adobe's website or Google's Analytics anymore!!

Don't listen to these guys who tell you that you are the problem. He just assumed that I didn't do all of the necessary steps.

The problem does seem to be with Flash.

I reinstalled Flash, reinstalled Safari, disconnected my second display, disconnected my printer, fixed privileges (a few times), checked my drive, and then, after all of that, I reinstalled SL. All was fine. Downloaded the new update (combo version). Blap!!

So, the update is running into something. Drivers, fonts... who the hell knows... but it doesn't just work!
  • Reply 153 of 172
    Quote:

but it doesn't just work!

Well, here, it does.
  • Reply 154 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

Well, here, it does.

I can only wish that I was you.
  • Reply 155 of 172
    Quote:

I can only wish that I was you.

Not so difficult : erase-install and it will be fine.

Or do try Onyx.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english/apps.html
  • Reply 156 of 172
    Quote:

Not so difficult : erase-install and it will be fine.

Or do try Onyx.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english/apps.html

I'm not sure if Onyx fixed my problem but my iMac "seems" snappier after a clean.

If it blaps again then I will do a wipe and install.

Thanks.
  • Reply 157 of 172
    Has anyone else experience an issue changing the Time Capsule network password after updating to Snow Leopard 10.6.3? If so did you find a work around? After the update I'm no longer able to change the Time Capsule network password when accessing it from Airport Utility. The utility will say that Time Capsule has updated the network password to the new one but when I check keychain it shows the old password. I tried resolving this by deleting the original keychain then changing it again in Airport Utility but it still shows the old password in the keychain and Airport Utility when I reopen the app.
  • Reply 158 of 172
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Onyx is a good solution for those odd issues.
  • Reply 159 of 172
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Before and after every update (software, OS, whatever), you should at least repair permissions.

Period.

I never understood this. How Disk Utility is supposed to know about eventual new permissions coming with a system update? Can anyone explain this to me and if applying permissions repair as part of the update is risk-free, before saying it is recommended? For now, this looks to me like nothing more than a kind of voodoo.
  • Reply 160 of 172
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I never understood this. How Disk Utility is supposed to know about eventual new permissions coming with a system update? Can anyone explain this to me and if applying permissions repair as part of the update is risk-free, before saying it is recommended? For now, this looks to me like nothing more than a kind of voodoo.

You are correct, this is a kind of voodoo. Early versions of OSX had big problems with corrupting permissions ("permissions rot"). Repairing them periodically was a useful maintenance step. Not any longer.