Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.3 with QuickTime X, OpenGL improvements

Comments

• Reply 121 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Reformatting is not required, even to completely reinstall OSX.

Thank you.

I have more Mac knowledge than most users but I'm obviously no gearhead.
  • Reply 122 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

In case previous updates might have been corrupted during or after install?

I suppose that could be a reason as Apple's phone tech support will walk you through grabbing the combo update as part of a fix if Software Update app didn't work, though I've never thought it in that way. It's really just a backup method for whatever reason you may have that needs it.
  • Reply 123 of 172
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by terun78 View Post

I updated to 10.6.3 this morning and everything seems fine except I ran into an issue with iCal showing the wrong date in the dock. I contacted apple support and after trying a variety of things nothing worked. The last resort was to reinstall the combo update and that did the trick. If any of you are having this problem after updating via software update go to the link below and download/install the combo, it will fix it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1018

removing iCal from the dock fixes the problem and has since 10.5.0
  • Reply 124 of 172
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I agree. This is a Mac.

Besides, I did back-up my system, Time Machine runs constantly, and I have checked my system at least a couple of times since I installed snow leopard 6 months ago with absolutely zero problems showing. I don't call this "preparation" for an update. This is just sop.

This is the third time since I updated this afternoon that the computer just quit on me except the last time the screen went to black... no more blue and pink... and it's still running.

So... beware. This update could cause serious problems for you.

Hi, just a quick heads-up in case it hasn't already been suggested (I've only scanned the thread). Try updating to 10.6.3 using the Combo Update. Here's the KB and download:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017
  • Reply 125 of 172
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Yep. Really, really pathetic for a multi-media and graphics desktop computer. PC cards have OpenGL 4.0 support with nvidia Fermi GPU's as of now and Windows users have DirectX 11 as an option. What is Apple playing at?

They don't have release drivers. Sorry, but OpenGL the 4.0 specification was just released.

AMD just released a preview driver:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...ew-driver.aspx

Nvidia 400 series drivers aren't even out.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...7.13_whql.html

They are beta drivers w/ full OpenGL 3.2 that are updates to their general release OpenGL 3.2 driver w/ more GPU models added, sound fixes and game fixes to name but a few issues.

The Work in Progress Review from NVNews.net shows the 400 Series working with unreleased drivers:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149400

Sorry, but the move from OpenGL 2.1 -> 3.0 for Apple or even Nvidia/AMD is much harder than the leap from OpenGL 3.0 to OpenGL 3.2 which is the general release current for both Nvidia and AMD.

I'd imagine Apple will either roll out an OS X 10.6.4 sooner rather than later that addresses the issues they held off for this release or they will issue a security update with the complete OpenGL 3.0 and one could surmise that OpenGL 3.2 drivers probably after WWDC, wouldn't be far behind.

The fact that Apple isn't the manufacturer of the GPUs while still being only months behind the two leaders in the GPU market in their level of OpenGL status is not that bad.

Apple is the leader in OpenCL development with AMD right behind. Nvidia happens to have the weakest support for OpenCL from them directly--they don't support both CPU cores and GPU cores like Apple and AMD.
  • Reply 126 of 172
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I really like this update. OS X is starting to get "that feel" again, when everything starts to feel solid and predictable.

And am I imagining it or has font rendering changed slightly (for the better)? I didn't see it mentioned on the Apple changes list.
  • Reply 127 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

When u say snappier, what do u mean? whats faster?

anyone that's downloaded the update can answer this question

Thanks

Most of the time it means nothing! It's simply a running joke that you will find at a lot of Mac enthusiast sites. Every time Apple releases an update for it's OS a bunch of people will post "It's snappier". Most times it's nothing but sometimes as in this case theres probably some real truth to it.
  • Reply 128 of 172
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

You're going to love this...

I thought the update problem I'm having was something to do with display support.

Uh uh... nope...

Safari is not playing nice with flash.

The Flash ads in Safari are causing my iMac to fritz.

Never ever happened in 2 1/2 years until this update.

Beware!

The things that come to mind here are as follows:

Do you have Click to Flash installed?

Is it up to date?

Are Safari and Flash up to date?

Have you tried uninstalling Flash?

Personally I try to contain flash as much as possible. By that I mean I use Click to Flash and only view flash data when absolutely required.

Also I do hope you are online reporting this to Apple. There is no doubt there could be other issues like bad drivers or drivers that use hardware in a way that fails due hardware issues.

So far with an early 2008 MBP I'm doing pretty good. You probably don't want to hear that right now but so of the improvements have already become obvious. The first noticeable regression is that boot ups seem to take longer.

Dave
  • Reply 129 of 172
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wouldn't say it's always to feel superior. I do it, but I'm also prone to do crazy things to my system that i feel requires the extra precaution, though it's probably more paranoia from some catastrophic issue we had a long, long time ago.

All I did was unplug my iTunes disk and went for it. No prep other than getting to a WiFi spot.

I look at it this way good practice will protect you if you end up having to start from scratch. Thus important stuff is on back up stores, including Flash, me.com and CDROMs.

I do this even though I have a rather involved collection of software installed. The reality is most of that software comes form the net anyways, so if the system needs a rebuild we get fresh versions of everything.

Dave
  • Reply 130 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Sorry, but the move from OpenGL 2.1 -> 3.0 for Apple or even Nvidia/AMD is much harder than the leap from OpenGL 3.0 to OpenGL 3.2 which is the general release current for both Nvidia and AMD.

I'd imagine Apple will either roll out an OS X 10.6.4 sooner rather than later that addresses the issues they held off for this release or they will issue a security update with the complete OpenGL 3.0 and one could surmise that OpenGL 3.2 drivers probably after WWDC, wouldn't be far behind.

The fact that Apple isn't the manufacturer of the GPUs while still being only months behind the two leaders in the GPU market in their level of OpenGL status is not that bad.

Apple is the leader in OpenCL development with AMD right behind. Nvidia happens to have the weakest support for OpenCL from them directly--they don't support both CPU cores and GPU cores like Apple and AMD.

I'd imagine the hold up for OpenGL 3.x support in OS X is not GPU drivers themselves, which can see code share from ATI and nVidia's Windows/Linux drivers which are already at OpenGL 3.2, but more Apple needing time to write their software renderer. Unlike Windows, OS X seems to have a very comprehensive software renderer that usually seems to more forward looking in terms of OpenGL support than the GPU drivers themselves. For instance, when 10.4 Tiger first launched the software renderer already had full OpenGL 2.0 support whereas the top GPU drivers were originally only OpenGL 1.5 complaint. With 10.5 Leopard it is an OpenGL 2.1 software renderer with GPU drivers only officially supporting OpenGL 2.0, and in 10.6 Snow Leopard it seems to be OpenGL 2.1 software renderer with at best still OpenGL 2.1 GPU drivers.

For the software renderer to serve it's purpose as a fallback, it obviously needs to have capabilities that exceed the feature set of the best GPU drivers, so I'd expect we'd need to see a fully OpenGL 3.x compliant software renderer before we see OpenGL 3.x drivers for the GPU themselves. Interestingly, I don't believe Apple has ever updated their software renderer to a new OpenGL version using free system updates, they've always come with a new OS, so hopefully that isn't a bad sign for full OpenGL 3.x support in Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 131 of 172
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Third time unlucky, installing the update after I did a full verify/repair permissions, again it outputs an error....

I am going for the combo now, thanks for the heads up.

edit: first attempt at downloading the combo, and in the downloads window I get operation could not be completed SafariErrorDomain Error 1, hmmmmm....let's go again...

edit2: ok finaly got it to work, kept getting the same dload error for safari so I used my trusted opera. And the combo pointed out to me that soundflower used an extension not supported. So I am up and running, and the setup assistant launched too on start up.

I am however seeing a couple of blue screens that were not there before (one before start up, the other after the apple logo goes away and before launching the desktop).

Also when I restarted I got a sync conflict immediately from ical that I clicked on to resolve.
  • Reply 132 of 172
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Updated all 3 of my computers and it all went smoothly with no issues. OpenGL performance (according to XBench test) is now 2 times better for all 3 computers and comes within 95% of Leopard performance numbers I have seen for my Mac Pro (don't have the stats for other computers).

Overall great update.
  • Reply 133 of 172
    I updated last night, and other than Smart Scroll breaking (a fix tomorrow according to the developer), everything seems ship-shape and Bristol fashion. I'm quite surprised my Canon LBP2900 printer still works, as I have to install crazy Japanese bundles that break at each update. I do notice that Time machine is a wee bit different in its backing up: rather than quoting a percentage figure for backing up, it now starts a count up of the number of items that will be done. After the 700mb+ update yesterday, it is now dealing with 33,000 items, that weigh in at 2.5gb.
  • Reply 134 of 172
    ...that will be smooth...
  • Reply 135 of 172
    Fixed the problem...

Didn't have to reinstall OS X. I just don't open Safari anymore and all is well.

Firefox forever now.
  • Reply 136 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Fixed the problem...

Didn't have to reinstall OS X. I just don't open Safari anymore and all is well.

Firefox forever now.

That is a working around, not a fix. If the problem is with Safari, have you tried reinstalling Safari?
  • Reply 137 of 172
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

I'm not. I've been using both QT7 and QTX with SL since QTX was first released in the Betas. I have never had it take 30x as long as since SL was officially released QTX has been faster for encoding than QT7 ever was or could be due to HW acceleration. I use QTX often, nearly daily, for cropping video and only use QT7 now if I need to quickly join a few.

What are the specs of your system? Perhaps you are re-encoding with QTX but only changing out the container for .MOV in QT7 when saving.. That would explain the variance.

I just did a Save As QucikTime Movie in both versions with a 250MB 1080p music video. It took me 19secs in QT7 and 15secs in QTX. That is just for a container change from MP4 to MOV while keeping the same codecs.

Did the test last night and timed it; 3 minutes to save a streamed Trailer in QuickTime X, and 5 seconds to save it in QuickTime 7. Doing a little digging, I realize now what's happening: QuickTime X isn't caching the trailer after it finishes downloading, so when you go to save it the reason it takes 3 minutes is because it's re-downloading the whole damn thing again. Dumb. Here are other people experiencing the same issue:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/8212...very-slow.html

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....68224&tstart=0

I created a new user account to see if I would experience the same issue there, and did.
  • Reply 138 of 172
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

I agree. This is a Mac.

Besides, I did back-up my system, Time Machine runs constantly, and I have checked my system at least a couple of times since I installed snow leopard 6 months ago with absolutely zero problems showing. I don't call this "preparation" for an update. This is just sop.

This is the third time since I updated this afternoon that the computer just quit on me except the last time the screen went to black... no more blue and pink... and it's still running.

So... beware. This update could cause serious problems for you.

Seriously, Dude. Give it a rest.
  • Reply 139 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Backing up via Time Machine first off. This will be good to get some improvements. I'm glad they took their time in releasing this.

Good luck.

I just installed 10.6.3 and Time Machine stopped taking backups and my backup disk was not able to be repaired using Disk Utility.

Could be coincidental as I have had quite a few Time Machine backup issues with Snow leopard and have been forced to re built the back up disk at least once a month.

Am now re building the backup from scratch again, hoping that new version of the OS really does have some stability improvements.

In case anyone is wondering, I do have the latest Firmware for my Firewire LaCie disk
  • Reply 140 of 172
    Quote:

That is a working around, not a fix. If the problem is with Safari, have you tried reinstalling Safari?

Yes. Thank you.

... but I'm being told to give it a rest.