Apple offers guided tours of iPad software with new videos

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was under the impression that the iPad had a proper direct printing option and network file accessibility.

About printing as fas as I know your impression is incorrect. Having to buy an app (and they don't tend to be free) to print is fundamentally wrong. Not to mention if you have the "wrong" printer it simply won't work.

There should be a contextual option called "Print" and it then downloads the "exact" driver for that printer - taking up minimal space on the device. But that's too much to ask, from a company where things "just work". Printing on the iPhone and iPad doesn't "just work", and if you've the wrong model of printer it "won't work", no matter that you do. Regardless of bonjour or wireless.

Besides………… even if it DID work. Having to download an app to print, is, like I say, ridiculous.
  • Reply 62 of 124
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

You'll need to provide a trusted authority before I believe data are encrypted on Apple's iDisk servers. I know the communications can be encrypted (using https), but I believe iDisk communications can also be unencrypted (using http) and I don't believe the stored data are encrypted at all on Apple's servers--unless what you put there was already encrypted.

This isn't any different than most on-line services, but that doesn't mean any of them should be trusted.

I wanted to respond how completely whacked that notion was but I could not bear the thought of getting into that dialog based on the adamancy of the original comment.
  • Reply 63 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm planning on taking the iPad along on a cruise in May, for reading books and viewing our photos, and reading e-mail. I'm going to bet that nobody on the ship will tell me I'm an uncool loser, but that a lot of people will ask "is that an iPad?"

Either way, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

You'd be better off not caring what people think.
  • Reply 64 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davida View Post

Really? What?

It can't mount a network shared volume. I don't want to have to go 'download' a PDF to the iPad every time I want to view a PDF.

If I'm wrong on this, please show me a reference.

I'm not going to look into it for you, I'm far too lazy. But there are solutions. But yes, that too should be way easier.
  • Reply 65 of 124
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

About printing as fas as I know your impression is incorrect. Having to buy an app (and they don't tend to be free) to print is fundamentally wrong. Not to mention if you have the "wrong" printer it simply won't work.

I believe you're right... and that it's a result of limited in-house developer resources at Apple or the difficulty of coordinating it all. The whole iPhone/iPad OS ecosystem is going to take a while to be fleshed out. By choosing what to omit early on and through careful marketing, Apple can bring its products to market sooner than otherwise and get them to pay for their own future development.
  • Reply 66 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Just got done with all the videos, the last few were the hardest to watch.

I'm cool, I'm hard, I'm a power user. I run 4 or 5 operating systems at once if I wish on my MacBook Pro. I avoid iLife like the plague, "Pro" apps is what I use if I need it.

The iPad and it's sickening lameness, is NOT for me. Ever.

God, I want to fscking puke.

I can't see anyone who wants to be cool being caught dead with a iPad.

It's the ultimate lame device, even my high school kid agrees.

And it's looking like one has little choice but, being the iPad isn't a open device.

You are fsking pukiliciously funny!
  • Reply 67 of 124
    Quote:

I believe you're right... and that it's a result of limited in-house developer resources at Apple or the difficulty of coordinating it all. The whole iPhone/iPad OS ecosystem is going to take a while to be fleshed out. By choosing what to omit early on and through careful marketing, Apple can bring its products to market sooner than otherwise and get them to pay for their own future development.

Makes sense. At least someone like you can provide a little perspective without saying: "actually you can do that". Thank you.

You would think 3 years in though, they would have addressed something as fundamental as printing. Now that the iPad is here you'll hear more clamoring for printing built into the OS I think.

The automatic downloading of the right driver when you try to print to the office or home printer would be the ultimate solution:

We have found a "HP 2600n Color laser jet" printer nearby, if you would like to download the require software to print to this printer tap "Ok". Otherwise tap "Cancel". And when you did tap Ok the driver would install directly.

Sure, it would take work on Apple's part for it to work this seamlessly, but it would work so fittingly it seems like the only solution to me.
  • Reply 68 of 124
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robmack View Post

Is it just me or does everyone in a video showing someone using an iPad look like they need to sit in some awkward way just to be comfortable holding it?

So does other tablet and slate devices.
  • Reply 69 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davida View Post

Really? What?

It can't mount a network shared volume. I don't want to have to go 'download' a PDF to the iPad every time I want to view a PDF.

If I'm wrong on this, please show me a reference.

1) I thought that iBook already included a PDF viewing feature?

2) What makes you think Adobe would not come up with an app that solves this problem?
  • Reply 70 of 124
    Quote:

I am positive there's a solution for you.

The biggest drawback is not viewing documents, it's printing. Just like the iPhone, direct printing is a mish-mash-mess.

So, write an app. If you can't, not a big deal -- I am sure someone will.
  • Reply 71 of 124
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

You'll need to provide a trusted authority before I believe data are encrypted on Apple's iDisk servers. I know the communications can be encrypted (using https), but I believe iDisk communications can also be unencrypted (using http) and I don't believe the stored data are encrypted at all on Apple's servers--unless what you put there was already encrypted.

This isn't any different than most on-line services, but that doesn't mean any of them should be trusted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wanted to respond how completely whacked that notion was but I could not bear the thought of getting into that dialog based on the adamancy of the original comment.

He's not serious, it's iGenius back one more time playing at being the stupid fan boy. Apparently Techstud has decided to follow suit.

BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THESE IDIOTS ARE OUT OF CONTROL.

Also, honest question: just what has to be wrong with you to want to spend time posing as the idiot you take others to be? It's like some kind of weird doubled back self referential little douche world, where the only thing you can see is the reflection of your own miserable, cramped little psyche. I truly can't fathom it.
  • Reply 72 of 124
    Quote:

There should be a contextual option called "Print" and it then downloads the "exact" driver for that printer - taking up minimal space on the device. But that's too much to ask, from a company where things "just work". Printing on the iPhone and iPad doesn't "just work", and if you've the wrong model of printer it "won't work", no matter that you do. Regardless of bonjour or wireless.

Besides???? even if it DID work. Having to download an app to print, is, like I say, ridiculous.

Ah, I see you dealt with it. I am not sure why it is 'fundamentally wrong' or 'ridiculous.'

If something is that important to you, I am not sure why you wouldn't want to pay a couple of bucks for it.
  • Reply 73 of 124
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    One of the things I'm looking for is a PDF viewer. While apple doesn't seem to be supplying a good one, I'm going to start with the PDF viewer in 'Papers'. I use Papers on my mac, and the Papers for iphone ($9.00) will synch with the mac papers' library and, my guess is that it will fill the bill.

If it doesn't, I'll be shocked if there aren't many alternatives, either thru apple or 3rd party apps.

The iPad is a device that is not even version 1. No one has seen apps written specifically for it. it should be flexible and fun.
  • Reply 74 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So, write an app.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.
  • Reply 75 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, I see you dealt with it. I am not sure why it is 'fundamentally wrong' or 'ridiculous.'

If something is that important to you, I am not sure why you wouldn't want to pay a couple of bucks for it.

This guy simply does not get it. Ask Foo2 to explain it to you.
  • Reply 76 of 124
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Sorry I guess for the sake of brevity I was not clear enough. I want to layout some magazine style art as you mention. I have been able to code some css to add captions, fonts, colors in ePub but I'm a long, long, long way from where I need to be. Have you ever worked in the ePub format? Picture to the right, picture to the left, center type, justify type, is about all you apparently get with a standard ePub. No matter what you do in inDesign it does not translate to ePub when you export it.

It sounds like you want to use the ePub format for something it is not designed to support. It is not for complex layouts and it only supports a subset of CSS2 as described in the OPS CSS 2.0 part of the ePub specification. The main "feature" or property of ePub files is their capability to adjust to different screen sizes from feature phones to 30" displays and repaginate as needed. This does not go along with complex layouts, as there is really no layout that would work for all screen sizes. ePub is for text and maybe a single image here and there; not much else.

You may confuse the iPad demos from WSJ, NYT and some magazines with what ePub/iBooks can do? None of them is using ePub and none of them will be viewed through iBooks. They all use custom applications doing their own rendering and using own file formats. If you want to bring complex documents to the iPad, the options are PDF, HTML+CSS and/or a custom app, not iBooks. Actually using a PDF and adding some navigation features to it (add some buttons using Acrobat Pro or PDFpen) might be the easiest solution.
  • Reply 77 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

One of the things I'm looking for is a PDF viewer. While apple doesn't seem to be supplying a good one, I'm going to start with the PDF viewer in 'Papers'. I use Papers on my mac, and the Papers for iphone ($9.00) will synch with the mac papers' library and, my guess is that it will fill the bill.

Are you sure you have to pay $9 to view PDFs like this?
  • Reply 78 of 124
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

I'd like to know if iPad users will be able to share documents directly with their Mac, i.e. without having to give Apple a copy via iDisk.

Email Steve. Apparently, he's been responding to emails, albeit curtly. But in your case, that would do: yes or no!

I think it's [email protected]
  • Reply 79 of 124
    theveebtheveeb Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Finally got them to download. Did you see the iBooks App? Granted that was a children's book, but notice how overly simplified that layout is. We are going to have more academic content so we need to see something with tables, figures, pictures with captions, footnotes. Is that going to be possible or are we stuck with nursery rhymes level of sophistication? Frankly what I see here is about the level of complexity I have been able to achieve so far with inDesign's default exporting to ePub format.

From wikipedia:

One criticism of EPUB is that, while good for text-centric books, it is unsuitable for publications which require precise layout or contain advanced formatting. Examples of such publications are comic books and technical books.
  • Reply 80 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Email Steve. Apparently, he's been responding to emails, albeit curtly. But in your case, that would do: yes or no!

I think it's [email protected]

That's not the address I used.