Apple offers guided tours of iPad software with new videos

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I'd like to know if iPad users will be able to share documents directly with their Mac, i.e. without having to give Apple a copy via iDisk.

There will be a shared document folder for each app, which can be accessed wirelessly from a computer.
  • Reply 82 of 124
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I sounds like you want to use the ePub format for something it is not designed to support. It is not for complex layouts and it only supports a subset of CSS2 as described in the OPS CSS 2.0 part of the ePub specification. The main "feature" or property of ePub files is their capability to adjust to different screen sizes from feature phones to 30" displays and repaginate as needed. This does not go along with complex layouts, as there is really no layout that would work for all screen sizes. ePub is for text and maybe a single image here and there; not much else.

You may confuse the iPad demos from WSJ, NYT and some magazines with what ePub/iBooks can do? None of them is using ePub and none of them will be viewed through iBooks. They all use custom applications doing their own rendering and using own file formats. If you want to bring complex documents to the iPad, the options are PDF, HTML+CSS and/or a custom app, not iBooks. Actually using a PDF and adding some navigation features to it (add some buttons using Acrobat Pro or PDFpen) might be the easiest solution.

There was a discussion quite awhile ago about iPad being suitable for digital text books. That is what I'm attempting to achieve.
  • Reply 83 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

One of the things I'm looking for is a PDF viewer. While apple doesn't seem to be supplying a good one, I'm going to start with the PDF viewer in 'Papers'. I use Papers on my mac, and the Papers for iphone ($9.00) will synch with the mac papers' library and, my guess is that it will fill the bill.

If it doesn't, I'll be shocked if there aren't many alternatives, either thru apple or 3rd party apps.

The iPad is a device that is not even version 1. No one has seen apps written specifically for it. it should be flexible and fun.

There are many file manager apps that can view PDF files. The iPhone OS natively supports PDF viewing meaning all developers are using the same viewing API. Furthermore, the iPad will offer built in PDF generation, which will also need to be utilized by app developers.
  • Reply 84 of 124
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm planning on taking the iPad along on a cruise in May, for reading books and viewing our photos, and reading e-mail. I'm going to bet that nobody on the ship will tell me I'm an uncool loser, but that a lot of people will ask "is that an iPad?"

Either way, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Hey, your talking to the crowd here.

Everyone who is a early adopter gets the "oh, is that a X?" attention, myself included, it's what they think of you based upon the impression they get from the device that is the factor.

When people walk away from watching my MacBook Pro run 5 operating systems at once, I know they are very impressed, they begin asking me questions and even want me to work for them.

Your going to be fielding more questions of what the iPad can't do than what it can do because people are going to erroneously believe the device is a regular strength computer in tablet form.

The kids will be impressed, if your that sort that craves their attention. Older folks usually found on cruises have most entered that stop learning phase years ago, good luck making a impression on them, their fingers are usually too cold to register on touchscreens and their eyes are shot all to hell.

By the way, the salt air is going to do a number on that screen and the metal case, keep it inside and protected from any open doors seaside.
  • Reply 85 of 124
    davidadavida Posts: 57member
    Can Safari on iPhone display PDFs?
  • Reply 86 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davida View Post

Can Safari on iPhone display PDFs?

Yep, since day one. PDF is an open format that is widely supported.
  • Reply 87 of 124
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There was a discussion quite awhile ago about iPad being suitable for digital text books. That is what I'm attempting to achieve.

Yeah, got that. The iPad is suitable because of its screen size, processing power, storage space, etc. But Apple is not providing a framework or tools to make it happen. Months ago people were expecting that Apple will release a reader app that would cover all sorts of publications (regular books, text books, magazines, comics, newspapers, etc.) - they did not do it. iBooks is a solution for plain books containing mainly text and nothing else ? this makes sense as Apple will likely provide readers for other devices as well (iPods, iPhones, computers). Whoever wants to bring other types of publications to the iPad, will have to package that book/paper in a custom application and do the groundwork from scratch. I am sure publishers will develop toolsets, templates, etc. If any of these will be freely available is another question though.
  • Reply 88 of 124
    davidadavida Posts: 57member
    Well, to answer my own question: How to read any PDF on your network.

I saw a reference to reading PDFs in Safari on iPhone, which looks a bit un-user-friendly:

http://pimm.wordpress.com/2007/07/18...l-attachments/

Anyway, assuming (at least hoping) iPad has a better ability to display PDFs in Safari, do the following for each mac on your network:

1. Start Apache, and set it serve web pages starting at the root of each volume.

2. Turn on indexing, even better install AutoIndex:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/autoindex/

Now anyone connected to your network can browse to any file on any volume (unless there is an index.html file in that directory, in which case access is governed by the index.html file).

You can also access a PDF using the URL (assuming you have fixed IP addresses), i.e.:

http://www.10.0.1.150/macintosh%20HD...20PDF%file.pdf

It's certainly not as good as using Preview on a mac, and there might be some security issues , but it should work!
  • Reply 89 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This guy simply does not get it. Ask Foo2 to explain it to you.

Whoo Foo2?
  • Reply 90 of 124
    Quote:

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Nah, I can see that it flew right past.

To quote someone, MOAN, MOAN, MOAN MOAN,......

ugh.
  • Reply 91 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Hey, your talking to the crowd here.

Everyone who is a early adopter gets the "oh, is that a X?" attention, myself included, it's what they think of you based upon the impression they get from the device that is the factor.

When people walk away from watching my MacBook Pro run 5 operating systems at once, I know they are very impressed, they begin asking me questions and even want me to work for them.

Your going to be fielding more questions of what the iPad can't do than what it can do because people are going to erroneously believe the device is a regular strength computer in tablet form.

The kids will be impressed, if your that sort that craves their attention. Older folks usually found on cruises have most entered that stop learning phase years ago, good luck making a impression on them, their fingers are usually too cold to register on touchscreens and their eyes are shot all to hell.

By the way, the salt air is going to do a number on that screen and the metal case, keep it inside and protected from any open doors seaside.

God, you're annoying.

Well, two weeks of rave reviews and record sales should be enough to shut you up....
  • Reply 92 of 124
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

The videos are very well done.

But I still can't imagine to hold this device all the time for watching a movie. And because Keynote only works in landscape how am I supposed to write? If it lays down flat on my lap it seems to be uncomfortable to look at.

Did you also know that the iPad's screen is very likely to crack, if you bash it with a heavy frying pan?

Apple really should have thought this through.
  • Reply 93 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

The Keynote video does not show two features I'm hoping are still there:

1. the ability to draw over the image with your finger

2. the ability to use your finger as a pointer.

I'm hoping this was an oversight in making the demo, and they remain as features.

It does that, I saw it in one of the hands-on videos
  • Reply 94 of 124
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

God, you're annoying.

To be more accurate to his fractured grammar, it should be "God, your annoying."

Which completely changes the meaning, in an amusing way.
  • Reply 95 of 124
    alandailalandail Posts: 757member
    Quote:

Your going to be fielding more questions of what the iPad can't do than what it can do because people are going to erroneously believe the device is a regular strength computer in tablet form

apparantly you're one of the few who expect that. Most think it's simply a larger iPod touch and will be amazed at how much more functionality the larger screen and new custom software provides.
  • Reply 96 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davida View Post

Well, to answer my own question: How to read any PDF on your network.

I saw a reference to reading PDFs in Safari on iPhone, which looks a bit un-user-friendly:

http://pimm.wordpress.com/2007/07/18...l-attachments/

Anyway, assuming (at least hoping) iPad has a better ability to display PDFs in Safari, do the following for each mac on your network:

1. Start Apache, and set it serve web pages starting at the root of each volume.

2. Turn on indexing, even better install AutoIndex:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/autoindex/

Now anyone connected to your network can browse to any file on any volume (unless there is an index.html file in that directory, in which case access is governed by the index.html file).

You can also access a PDF using the URL (assuming you have fixed IP addresses), i.e.:

http://www.10.0.1.150/macintosh%20HD...20PDF%file.pdf

It's certainly not as good as using Preview on a mac, and there might be some security issues , but it should work!

Man that link is from 2007!! Before there was even an app store.

Just use one of the available apps. There are many apps that allow you to access network drive. Just search "server browsing" in iTunes.
  • Reply 97 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

a lot of people will ask "is that an iPad?"

You will be the absolute coolest person on the whole ship! And it took only one purchase!
  • Reply 98 of 124
    Quote:

Just got done with all the videos, the last few were the hardest to watch.

I'm cool, I'm hard, I'm a power user. I run 4 or 5 operating systems at once if I wish on my MacBook Pro. I avoid iLife like the plague, "Pro" apps is what I use if I need it.

The iPad and it's sickening lameness, is NOT for me. Ever.

God, I want to fscking puke.

I can't see anyone who wants to be cool being caught dead with a iPad.

It's the ultimate lame device, even my high school kid agrees.

And it's looking like one has little choice but, being the iPad isn't a open device.

that I ignored you. Really. That was just lame. And tired. And repetitive. Did I mention repetitive?
  • Reply 99 of 124
    Quote:

About printing as fas as I know your impression is incorrect. Having to buy an app (and they don't tend to be free) to print is fundamentally wrong. Not to mention if you have the "wrong" printer it simply won't work.

There should be a contextual option called "Print" and it then downloads the "exact" driver for that printer - taking up minimal space on the device. But that's too much to ask, from a company where things "just work". Printing on the iPhone and iPad doesn't "just work", and if you've the wrong model of printer it "won't work", no matter that you do. Regardless of bonjour or wireless.

Besides???? even if it DID work. Having to download an app to print, is, like I say, ridiculous.

So there is the free app PrinterShare out there... and since we don't know how Apple has set-up the iWorks apps on the iPad to do this basic functionality - I guess we wait until Saturday to find out now don't we?

• Reply 100 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robmack View Post

Is it just me or does everyone in a video showing someone using an iPad look like they need to sit in some awkward way just to be comfortable holding it? Obviously only a lucky few have used the device and time will tell what it is like to use, but it does make me wonder how comfortable it is to use.

So this begs the question, did Apple just create a device that only Steve Jobs can use comfortably?

Seriously, given Apple's track record with ergonomics, can this really be an issue? Given the amount of time that they have used them internally and all, surely this would have come up in a conversation with Jobso: " hey Steve why is your arm locked at the elbow and your hand shaking so badly?" Or "hey Phil, when do I get an overstuffed armchair in my office to iPad with hunh?"