New Office 11 for Mac sports dense ribbons of buttons

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 119
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

How about you read what I wrote again? Care to tell me how to achieve what I want? Because when I tried it just now, it appeared to be impossible.

I have read what you wrote. It's not entirely clear to me what you are trying to do which is so impossible, or what happens instead when you try. All I know is I do numbering and it works.

From Pages Help:

Quote:

Formatting Ordered Lists

Ordered lists provide different numbering styles for each indent level in a list, allowing you to create a hierarchy of information. For example:

You can create a list using a numbering sequence as you proceed from the highest level to lower levels: I, A, 1, a), (1), (a), i), (1), and (a).

You can create a legal list style, which appends an additional number or letter at each lower level: 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, and so on.

You can also choose an ordered list style in the Styles drawer. Click the Styles Drawer button in the format bar, and then select the list style. If you don’t see list styles in the Styles drawer, click the List Styles button in the lower-right corner of the drawer to make the styles appear.

I don't use this particular feature myself, but it's certainly there to be used. As far as making a following paragraph to be a set style, this is accomplished in the Inspector, under Text/More.

The Inspector can be kind of fiddly, especially if you're more used to the other way, but it is packed with a lot of features.
  • Reply 102 of 119
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    [QUOTE=MsftMacMan;1600906]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saldog View Post

iWork is pretty and I wish I could use it everyday. But the simple fact is that it is nowhere near as powerful or ubiquitous as Office.

Can't speak for Pages or Numbers, but Keynote is world-class. I have much more control over very granular selections of elements and actions to die for than I ever had in PowerPoint without having to dig deep into unlikely places, and the interface is pretty damn OK.

Quote:

PS. The general level of comment on these forums is seriously sad, wish people would stick to facts not schoolboy name calling.. used a Mac for years, but this level of so called debate just looks foolish and makes us all look like idiots with little to do but throw insults at each other.

Religious wars are seldom civil, more's the pity in Appleland.
  • Reply 103 of 119
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I find Pages to be far more than an "entry-level" word processor (whatever that slur is supposed to mean). I've been using it for years, since version 1.0, for all of our business word processing. I think it's really good, and I am grateful that Apple didn't try to make it into the Word clone that would have made some people happy.

Equation editing, everybody needs that.

If I'd to tell my wife I'm giving her word processor without equations, she'd have nervous breakdown that very moment

But then again, some people will do with WordPad, and some people don't need word processor at all (as long as they have means to type emails).

I am actually surprised Pages have no equations, considering Apple's strong education background. How do Mac using students/teachers/scientists/... create papers with equations..? Surely MS Office for Mac is not the only way..?
  • Reply 104 of 119
    Quote:

Another one: in Word, you can set the position of floating objects (i.e., ones that aren't inline with the text) relative to the page (e.g. left for horizontal position and middle for vertical position). In Pages, you can only set the position by x and y co-ordinate of the top-left corner of the object (quick, get your calculator out and figure out where the top-left corner of the object you're positioning should be if you want said object left-middle on the page!)

You may be over-thinking this one: unless inline, objects stay where you put them, and line up nicely with smart alignment guides at centre and edge of objects (turn them all on in preferences) and alignment guides on the page (show rulers, click and drag to position guides, and show layout to see the page margin) so there is no real need to enter or think about co-ordinates. Compared to Word, etc, I find placing, aligning and resizing images quicker and easier.

Lists work for me too, but can't help you with the period after the last number, or with cross-refs or multiple ToCs either.
  • Reply 105 of 119
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    deleted
  • Reply 106 of 119
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsftMacMan View Post

Can't speak for Pages or Numbers, but Keynote is world-class. I have much more control over very granular selections of elements and actions to die for than I ever had in PowerPoint without having to dig deep into unlikely places, and the interface is pretty damn OK.

I agree, Keynote is quite slick and lacks very little. I wish iWork had "smart connectors" like the shapes in Office though. You can actually do Visio-style flow charts in Office apps. There's also an Org Chart app in Office that makes those a snap too. I am constantly using it. iWork shapes are very cool and the alignment guides are great, but dragging around the shapes of a flow chart loses connections, requiring lots of re-tweaking. Maybe iWork 2010 will bring some more cool features.

When I get my iPad, I plan to use it for meetings in our main conference room. I will see how it is with using Keynote to put up my Powerpoint presentations over the VGA cable. I can't wait to pretend I'm John Madden and draw on the screen/slides also. I think iWork will be the real killer app for the iPad, allowing us to actually get some work done.
  • Reply 107 of 119
    For flowcharts etc, there's OmniGraffle ... coming to iPad too. With iWork and Omni apps, iPad could be very useful.
  • Reply 108 of 119
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I have read what you wrote. It's not entirely clear to me what you are trying to do which is so impossible, or what happens instead when you try. All I know is I do numbering and it works.

O.K. I didn't say what happens when I try, but I thought it was clear that I want all the headings to be left-aligned (i.e., have no indent) and for there to be no dot after the final number in the heading (i.e. "1.1 Heading Text" as opposed to "1.1. Heading Text").

So, to set up the Heading 1 style, I type "Heading Text" in the document, apply the "Heading 1" style, apply the legal numbering style, change the font and size. Now, open the inspector, go to text->list, choose the numbering style (note there is no style that has no dot after the final number), and then update the Heading 1 style to match what I've just created.

Now, to set up the Heading 2 style, (which I want to look like "1.1 Heading Text", but the closest I can get is "1.1. Heading Text"), I again enter the text "Heading Text" in the document and apply the Heading 2 style and the legal numbering style, change the font and the size. Now, open the inspector, go to text->list, choose the "Tiered Numbers" numbering style and "continue from previous". As it stands, the number will be "2." as opposed to the "1.1." that I want. So, you have to use the right indent arrow to change the indent level. This changes the "2." to "1.1.", but also applies an indent to the text, which I don't want. Having changed the indent level, I can then put the "number indent" and "text indent" (at the bottom of the inspector) back to zero - the number stays "1.1." but the text is now left aligned. Now, update the style to match what I've just created.

So, I've got what I wanted, right? Wrong! Apart from the dot after the number problem, there's the issue that the following paragraph will be indented and one has to manually change the indent level back. The bigger problem is that if I type another heading and apply the "heading 2" style, it is numbered "2.", not "1.2."! I have to go to the list tab of the inspector and manually increase the "number indent" to get it to be "1.2.".
  • Reply 109 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pemulwuy View Post

You may be over-thinking this one: unless inline, objects stay where you put them, and line up nicely with smart alignment guides at centre and edge of objects (turn them all on in preferences) and alignment guides on the page (show rulers, click and drag to position guides, and show layout to see the page margin)

If you want the vertical alignment to be in the middle of the page, that is indeed easy to do with the alignment guides that show up when you do a drag and get near the middle of the page. Horizontal alignment isn't so good though, because it's the centres of the objects that are aligned. (so, you can align the middle of an object with the left-most margin, but who wants that? then half your object will be outside the margins of the page). You could do the horizontal alignment "by eye", but screens have a 100 or so dpi whilst the printed page is 600+ dpi.

Simple alignment in Pages may be quicker than in Word, but that's probably because Word has so many more alignment options that creating a simple user interface for it is a major challenge. Granted, in Word aligning an object can require a lot of clicks, but you can be sure you'll be able to position the object exactly where you want it. I believe that the ribbon interface has simplified this a bit.
  • Reply 110 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

If I'd to tell my wife I'm giving her word processor without equations, she'd have nervous breakdown that very moment

But then again, some people will do with WordPad, and some people don't need word processor at all (as long as they have means to type emails).

I am actually surprised Pages have no equations, considering Apple's strong education background. How do Mac using students/teachers/scientists/... create papers with equations..? Surely MS Office for Mac is not the only way..?

You can get equations into Pages documents, but you have to buy MathType separately. iWork costs $79, MathType costs $97, and the home edition of Office costs $111.92 from Amazon.
  • Reply 111 of 119
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Man I wish they'd port Access to Mac. I can't believe it wouldn't pay for itself and even make profit for MS. I'm just stoked we are getting Outlook.
  • Reply 112 of 119
    I'm pretty sure the applications "missing" from the Mac version of Office are an attempt to prevent businesses switching from PCs to Macs.
  • Reply 113 of 119
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Any student/teacher/scientist who's serious about math and equations use LaTeX.
  • Reply 114 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

Any student/teacher/scientist who's serious about math and equations use LaTeX.

Don't be so sure. I recently finished my Electronic Engineering PhD thesis that contains 133 equations. I used Word and the "lite" version of MathType that comes with it.
  • Reply 115 of 119
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Don't be so sure. I recently finished my Electronic Engineering PhD thesis that contains 133 equations. I used Word and the "lite" version of MathType that comes with it.

Maybe you are the exception that proves the rule.
  • Reply 116 of 119
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I recently finished my Electronic Engineering PhD thesis that contains 133 equations.

Congratulations!
  • Reply 117 of 119
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

Maybe you are the exception that proves the rule.

No, he is not. Even professional scientific journals that used to require submissions in LaTeX format now willingly accept Word .doc. Of course, they still accept LaTeX, but scientists, mathematicians, and engineers are not required to use it.
  • Reply 118 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Congratulations!

Thank you! Viva to follow
  • Reply 119 of 119
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Thank you! Viva to follow

Is your thesis posted on the internet? I'd be interested in reading it.

PS: I'm considering going back to school for another degree later this year, this time in screenwriting or physics (disparate choices). My first two are literature and computer engineering, with an MBA on top of that. I've become pretty lazy since retiring at 30. I thought I would be traveling a lot more but even that became dull. I find that i miss school.