Apple's new iPhone rumored with A4 chip, forward-facing camera

Comments

• Reply 41 of 156
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Other implementations are al inferior to the iPhone's, especially when it comes to selecting text.

That is purely a subjective judgement based on your personal preference. It is copy-and-paste, no matter how you cut it.
  • Reply 42 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

You are joking right "finally catching up", finally, really? I am guessing you don't understand product cycles and manufacturing, maybe Steve miss-placed his magic wand?

He thinks that Steve has a magic wand? Someone needs to tell this guy that Steve puts his blood, sweat and tears, EVERY SINGLE DAY, into bringing us great products.
  • Reply 43 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Sorry, now it's in orange, which doesn't rhyme with anything. Therefore: false.

Tommy Smothers suggested "door hinge".
  • Reply 44 of 156
    Quote:

If the iPhone is destined to have a front-facing camera for video conferencing, it'll be the most usable, best-looking implementation anyone's ever seen.

We have been waiting since General Electric showed us video phones at the 1964 New York World's Fair. And when Apple shows us our new video phones, it will have been worth the wait. It will be SOOOOO worth the wait!
  • Reply 45 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I seriously doubt the very same A4 found on the iPad will find its way to the iPhone. First because I refuse to believe it is just a standard 1GHz processor: the nexus one's snapdragon is one and couldn't pull off such impressive performance on the iPad even it were dreaming. I'd bet the A4 is three or four-cored.

I do, however, believe in an Apple processor on the next-gen iPhone. A2 or whatever.

I'm the camp that the A4 is a highly optimized Cortex A8. Now need to push the tech out of the gate to the latest and greatest when there is currently no viable competition to the iPad, no idea if the product category will work, and require less time to optimize a chip that would cost more money.

Plus, they advertised some unknown chip designation they invented over the Cortex A9 with multiple cores, which is well known for its performance in this category.

As for the iPhone using the A4, I think it's quite possible, at least in the sense that it will be an optimized Cortex A8 (who knows what they'll call it). If the iPhone's next processor is an optimized version of the same chip they can make it appear faster to the user while increasing the battery life, probably even increasing the clock speed and the battery efficiency. It's the end result that matters, not the chips you start with.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Gruber claimed nothing of the sort!

When I read Gruber's blog entry earlier today it never occurred to me that these popular features he mentioned would be taken as rumour of what to expect in the next iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

And the next AppleTV.

And the next Airport Extreme Base Station.

And the Apple Home Server that I really to come out this year.
  • Reply 46 of 156
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

He thinks that Steve has a magic wand? Someone needs to tell this guy that Steve puts his blood, sweat and tears, EVERY SINGLE DAY, into bringing us great products.

Techstud or iGenius?

It's becoming a little too transparent.
  • Reply 47 of 156
    Quote:

Techstud or iGenius?

It's becoming a little too transparent.

You can tell by the use of complex-compound sentences that it's not Teckstud. It is, however, iGenius.
  • Reply 48 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adding to an earlier report of Apple's forthcoming next-generation iPhone, Daring Fireball on Monday claimed Apple's new handset will feature a custom A4 processor, 960x640 double-resolution display, and a second front-facing camera.

Author John Gruber sarcastically mentioned an earlier report from The Wall Street Journal, calling it the paper's "lame entry in the iPhone rumors game."

In addition to details on the processor, display and camera, Gruber also reiterated what AppleInsider reported earlier this month: Apple's iPhone 4.0 software will add multitasking support for third-party applications.

Separately, Engadget also reported an anonymous tip that the device would be dubbed the iPhone HD, and will be announced on Tuesday, June 22. If true, that would be a week before the rumored schedule of June 28 through July 2 for WWDC 2010.

When Apple introduced its forthcoming iPad in January, the Cupertino, Calif., company revealed that the device is powered by a custom-built system-on-a-chip dubbed the Apple A4. The speedy 1GHz processor is based on the ARM architecture and includes an integrated CPU and graphics processing.

That Apple's custom silicon would find its way into the next-generation iPhone should come as no surprise, as the company has been a licensee of ARM for years and has been long rumored to leverage its $278 million acquisition of fabless chip designer P.A. Semi for its mobile devices.

A forward-facing camera for videoconferencing is a feature that some users have desired in the iPhone for years. In the months of build-up to the iPad's unveiling, many reports alleged that the device would include a forward-facing camera, and alleged parts appear to show an internal spot for such an accessory.

In February, a patent application from Apple showed a forward-facing camera on an iPhone-like device. The application described technology for superior picture and video recording performance on mobile devices.

Gruber's posting was prompted by a report from the Journal that alleged Apple is working on two new iPhone models, including a CDMA-capable model for release on the Verizon network in the U.S.

In January, AppleInsider received word that Apple was shopping for LED flash components to potentially add a camera flash to the fourth-generation iPhone.

Even if this were true, the Evo 4G will still crush it.
  • Reply 49 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

... For the iPhone, Apple merely copied the implementation from phones that have long had the feature before. ...

This is patently false.

Apple's implementation of cut and paste is quite original and has never been used before. Please use your dictionary to look up the word "implementation."

Quote:

... Cut and paste has been around for decades for crying out loud. ...

Yes, but not Apple's particular implementation of it.

Again, please use your dictionary to look up the word "implementation."
  • Reply 50 of 156
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can tell by the use of complex-compound sentences that it's not Teckstud. It is, however, iGenius.

AppleRulez = Mr Koolaid

Woohoo = SpotOn

?

?
  • Reply 51 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adding to an earlier report of Apple's forthcoming next-generation iPhone, Daring Fireball on Monday claimed Apple's new handset will feature a custom A4 processor, 960x640 double-resolution display, and a second front-facing camera.

I doubt this resolution rumor. Imagine, when finally developers get ready adapting their programs for the res. of the iPad, then they should start again for a new iPhone?
  • Reply 52 of 156
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

I doubt this resolution rumor. Imagine, when finally developers get ready adapting their programs for the res. of the iPad, then they should start again for a new iPhone?

The iPad came with a convenient pixel doubling feature, I'd imagine that they would just have it enabled automatically on an iPhone with double the resolution. The apps would look right because the screen size would be the same. The iPhone will likely need to increase in resolution at some point with other phones reaching higher and higher resolutions, doubling it would be rather painless if they can get a hold of screens with that resolution.
  • Reply 53 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

4x as many total pixels seems excessive. I'm thinking 25% to 50% more pixels per axis.
    . .Current :: 165 ppi = 153,600 / 3.5" = 480 x 320

. 25% more :: 206 ppi = 240,000 / 3.5" = 600 x 400 = (480 x 1.25) x (320 x 1.25)

. 50% more :: 247 ppi = 345,600 / 3.5" = 720 x 480 = (480 x 1.50) x (320 x 1.50)

. . . . . .—— . . . . . . . . . . . .

.Nexus One :: 252 ppi = 384,000 / 3.7" = 800 x 480

Moto Droid :: 264 ppi = 409,920 / 3.7" = 854 x 480

. . .(Math is reversed for easier reading)
  • Reply 54 of 156
    Quote:

Apple perfected cut and paste? For the iPhone, Apple merely copied the implementation from phones that have long had the feature before. Cut and paste has been around for decades for crying out loud. Apple perfected cut and paste?

You can't be serious.

Which cell phone had cut and paste in 1990 for crying out loud?
  • Reply 55 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Which cell phone had cut and paste in 1990 for crying out loud?

Right?! And it's a finger-based UI, the entire thing had to not only be designed and programmed from the ground up, but the logistics of how to use it had to implement it had to designed from scratch. Android and WebOS still haven't gotten this worked out nor implemented to every type of item in the OS like Apple has.

On top of that, MS is going with no copy/paste clipboard for WinPh7, though in their defense their current design is pretty intuitive and user friendly, much more than Android, thereby deserving credit for thinking outside the box for once to benefit the user.
  • Reply 56 of 156
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Yet another fantastic misuse of the HD moniker.
  • Reply 57 of 156
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

AppleRulez = Mr Koolaid

Woohoo = SpotOn

?

?

Actually:

Applerulez = iGenius

MrKoolaid = Techstud

iGenius + Techstud = iTurds.

Hopefully the mods will find a way to more proactively determine how to prevent these jerks from growing back like weeds.
  • Reply 58 of 156
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

If the iPad didn't get a forward facing camera I doubt the iPhone will... \

You are forgetting iPhone is 4th generation while iPad is 1st.

iPad will eventually get camera (I'm pretty sure)... just not yet.
  • Reply 59 of 156
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I seriously doubt the very same A4 found on the iPad will find its way to the iPhone. First because I refuse to believe it is just a standard 1GHz processor: the nexus one's snapdragon is one and couldn't pull off such impressive performance on the iPad even it were dreaming. I'd bet the A4 is three or four-cored.

I do, however, believe in an Apple processor on the next-gen iPhone. A2 or whatever.

That is actually smart - name "A4" sort of implies to 4 cores, though I never thought of that before.

But I don't think it is multi-core. Performance is nice but that is more likely to come from well-executed software and capable (enough) graphics. Comparing game consoles and desktop PCs, I've came to conclusion long time ago that you can do magic with well written software even on very modest hardware.
  • Reply 60 of 156
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The way Apple perfected cut and paste is far, far better than the half-baked effort of Android.

Quote:

Apple perfected cut and paste? For the iPhone, Apple merely copied the implementation from phones that have long had the feature before. Cut and paste has been around for decades for crying out loud. Apple perfected cut and paste?

You can't be serious.

Acknowledgement is due to Chris CA for picking up the spelling error.