Apple's new iPhone rumored with A4 chip, forward-facing camera

Comments

• Reply 101 of 156
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

That camp doesn't exist. The reality is the A4 is a stripped down version of the A8. Making something weak so you can get better battery life doesn't make it optimized.

Here is a link on the Cortex A9. I will give you another Apple fansite as a link.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/16/...essor-designs/

Here are the "unknown' specs on the A9

http://www.arm.com/products/processo.../cortex-a9.php

Pure semantics. Removing gates on the processor that will not be used to increase speed while reducing battery use is not making it week. This is not a pc box that has to support an almost infinite amount of hardware.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...pads-brain.ars
  • Reply 102 of 156
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The idea with the 3G "S" was that it was faster than the 3G. There is no iPhone 4G, so 4G S wouldn't make sense. Besides, the networks for 4G just aren't there yet.

iPhone 4 makes sense, they may even simply call it: "the new iPhone". I.E.: "iPhone".

Good points.

I would hope it's faster than the 3GS. Maybe 3GSS then.
  • Reply 103 of 156
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Good points.

I would hope it's faster than the 3GS. Maybe 3GSS then.

It'll be faster I'd say. That's not my main concern though. As an owner of both a 2G and 3G iPhone, and currently using the 2G - I hope Apple have the sense to make the new iPhone narrower in width.

The iPhone 2G is 61 mm wide.

The iPhone 3G (and S) are 62.1 mm wide.

The difference in width is noticeable in the hand. In that the 2G is "far" more comfortable to hold. Apple need to make iPhone 4 with no side black bezels, making it 59 mm wide, and even nicer to hold then the 2G.

This is the main thing I want, anything else is a bonus. Like OLED.
  • Reply 104 of 156
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moloch View Post

If the HD spurs the Chinese to produce better knock offs, then it is a good thing.

But it will also be just another luxury item from Apple that most people cannot afford.

alright you have performed your trolling quota for today, you may leave now...

I do not think China will ever produce "better" knockoffs, but they certainly produce junk that I do not have the luxury to waste time with...
  • Reply 105 of 156
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Lets all see if we can get a rumor started.... Hmmm. What should it be? How about "iPhone 2000 will have a scale built in so you can stand on it to check your weight." Sounds almost plausible, right? I mean, I know I'd probably crush it, but all those weight watching highschool girls might believe such a thing and think they could make real use of it.

What else... Oh! How about "iPhone Deluxe will make your car get better gas mileage and more horsepower." That one might seem plausible to the gear heads who know what it takes to reprogram a car's chip, right?

Cmon there's gotta be something we all can make up that will start getting circulated and help add to everyone's overall disappointed when it turns out not to be true. I love the iphone rumor game. ANYTHING GOES.

"iPhone Deluxe Gold 2000 will feature a built in atom smasher so people can see what the first instances of our universe looked like."

"Super iPhone will actually be a small autonomous robot which hovers over your right shoulder, following you wherever you go, responding to loud voice commands."

cmon help me out here people. Lets see what we can come up with and we'll get the article writers here at AI to write up something that looks almost real, and when that gets on Google News it's all over.
  • Reply 106 of 156
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

Here's the translated page for everyone courtesy of the goggle:

Quit a long time broke the habit of

But still a lot of friends at home and abroad often interesting information came to me look

Take advantage of a good mood today

Now share with you recently received broke the picture (addiction has committed do)

The above picture is coming from a certain User

I have not seen the kind so I can not exactly tell you the truth in

This is his cell phone so the quality is not a good film

However, User who does have a video I took with me Look at those things

So ..

According to his statement

This is iPhone LCD with touch of four generations in the glass and frame photos

As we all know

iPhone generation LCD plus touch glass is ㄧ the entire group

But the iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS turned into a separate LCD and touch

The iPhone 4G LCD is indeed again together with the touch can not be divided (that maintenance costs can be relatively high)

The screen because of the positive lens more

So, somewhat longer than the overall length of the current iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS

Figure 2 we can see that the middle of the screen that is the iPhone 4G Group

There is the white top left position of the location of pre-isight video camera

The first figure we can also see a blank screen at the top left is really the location of

While the frame at present we see is black

I wonder if this is not the prototype materials and parts through the plating and the like will not be processed

Stent position in the box but now that the current iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS different

We can see from the first group on the left side of Figure 4 position liquid crystal corresponding to the third position of the graph box

Will find that can really mix

So these three images has greatly enhanced the credibility of

In any case

Read a positive screen and the frame

In addition to more than isight

Does not seem to change much

You must be on the back cover of the material compared with the appearance of curiosity

Judai break next time ... (that is, Jobs is often said that One more thing ... ha)

• Reply 107 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That camp doesn't exist. The reality is the A4 is a stripped down version of the A8. Making something weak so you can get better battery life doesn't make it optimized.

Here is a link on the Cortex A9. I will give you another Apple fansite as a link.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/16/...essor-designs/

Here are the "unknown' specs on the A9

http://www.arm.com/products/processo.../cortex-a9.php

Until we get the devices in hand for low level tests on the processor we simply don't know what Apple is using.

Yes, spending more time optimizing a slightly older design can be more beneficial than throwing in a newer design that you get little to no time to optimize. This is common among all industries with embedded systems. Apple was neither the first nor will they be the last to do this.

PS: What what with the reading comprehension around here yesterday? I never stated Corex A9 specs were unknown, I stated that the A4 specs were unknown and that if Apple did use a Cortex A9 with multiple cores it would have been a good marketing position to advertise that.

Quote:

"Plus, [Apple] advertised some unknown chip designation they invented over the Cortex A9 with multiple cores,"

Unkowwn chip design = A4

Over = used to express preference

I thought it was clear.
  • Reply 108 of 156
    Quote:

The difference in width is noticeable in the hand. In that the 2G is "far" more comfortable to hold. Apple need to make iPhone 4 with no side black bezels, making it 59 mm wide, and even nicer to hold then the 2G.

This is the main thing I want, anything else is a bonus. Like OLED.

They've had the same physical design for 2 years. Personally, I think that is good time to switch it up for marketing sake. That does mean accessories will have to change it up, too, and depending on the level of secrecy and type of change some accessories could be in short supply for awhile.

I think the name is pretty irrelevant. I haven't liked an Apple name in years. The AppleTV is the best I've liked since Jobs return and that isn't exactly their best seller. If I had to make a wager I'd say that they won't use the number '4' until LTE is here, though if they do plan to offer it next year then calling this one iPhone 4 and the next iPhone 4G would make sense.

I'm not so sure about OLED. For that to come I think Apple would have to completely change the iPhone OS v4.0 look to use a lot of blacks to reduce power consumption. The good thing is this could carry over the iPad's LCD and not affect power. I suppose we'll be able to tell what the display tech will be based on the iPhone OS v4.0 demo, which tends to be a couple months before the iPhone HW release.
  • Reply 109 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Pure semantics. Removing gates on the processor that will not be used to increase speed while reducing battery use is not making it week. This is not a pc box that has to support an almost infinite amount of hardware.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...pads-brain.ars

I understand its limitations however some believe this is going to replace notebooks. Clearly it isn't.

However its hard to say your Tablet is a powerful device when you are going to use the exact same chip which by the way is a 17.00 chip in your mobile phone. The A4 will make the iPhone rather power but it makes the iPad weak, at least weak for anyone looking for a notebook replacement which many says this is going to be.

The A4 is fine for what the iPad is, the A4 isn't fine for what some say the iPad is.
  • Reply 110 of 156
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I think I am missing something in this paragraph solipsism.

Are you saying Apple picked the less advanced chip to get it out faster, and as lower risk strategy?

He-he. If Apple managed somehow to push the processor speed to its upper limit and at the same time to make that processor be champion of energy effectiveness, it'd be the major break-through in appliance design. Not that it's impossible, but very doubtful.
  • Reply 111 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Until we get the devices in hand for low level tests on the processor we simply don't know what Apple is using.

Yes, spending more time optimizing a slightly older design can be more beneficial than throwing in a newer design that you get little to no time to optimize. This is common among all industries with embedded systems. Apple was neither the first nor will they be the last to do this.

PS: What what with the reading comprehension around here yesterday? I never stated Corex A9 specs were unknown, I stated that the A4 specs were unknown and that if Apple did use a Cortex A9 with multiple cores it would have been a good marketing position to advertise that.

Unkowwn chip design = A4

Over = used to express preference

I thought it was clear.

You weren't clear but in spite of going back and forth as we often do in the end we don't really disagree.

As I posted just above this post, The A4 is certainly fine for what the iPad is at this time, it isn't for what some have talked themselves into believing what the iPad can do or is going to do in the future.

For Slate computing to compete with notebooks at some point its going to have to trade battery life for pure processing power. However while that may be be what some users want that may never be what Apple sees as the iPad role.

I agree that the Cortex A9 was and still is very new so it wouldn't have been a good option for Apple at this time.

Which is also why I believe Apple will not go with the Arrandale in the new Macbook Pros.

Apple to the best of my knowledge has never offered up the lastest chip on the market.
  • Reply 112 of 156
    Quote:

I understand its limitations however some believe this is going to replace notebooks. Clearly it isn't.

However its hard to say your Tablet is a powerful device when you are going to use the exact same chip which by the way is a 17.00 chip in your mobile phone. The A4 will make the iPhone rather power but it makes the iPad weak, at least weak for anyone looking for a notebook replacement which many says this is going to be.

The A4 is fine for what the iPad is, the A4 isn't fine for what some say the iPad is.

Fast chip doesn't necessarily equate to a faster system if the chip isn't optimized for it and if the OSes used are disparate. There was a reason MS had to push XP to netbooks and lost some notebook sales to Linux: Vista wouldn't run on netbooks. MS has corrected that with Win7, but I bet you that I can start up the iPad and load the WSJ in Safari before you can start up a netbook and to the WSJ in IE.

Windows is simply not ideal for a netbook's power. Nor is ideal for a 10" display. Then there are issue with display quality and the quality of other aspects which affect usability. Can a netbook do more things than a netbook? Sure. Are most of these things what the average person wants it for? No. Will the faster netbook seem faster than the slower iPad simply because it has faster HW? Absolutely not, which is the single most important fact for the consumer when it comes to speed, not some spec sheet.
  • Reply 113 of 156
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    A 960x640 screen is not an oddball resolution. It's the best resolution to use if Apple were to increase the screen resolution of the iPhone and iPod touch. You guys should be dancing in the isle for it. App developers should be screaming YES! YES! YES!

There's basically no other choice. Apple has 150,000 and more applications designed to 480x320 at 3.5" diagonal. The best way to compete in the screen resolution race when you have that many applications to maintain backward compatibility with is to double the pixel density and quadruple the number of pixels to 960x640. This way, all the old apps can run at 960x640 and still look great. It should be appear no different.

If you look at the iPad, or rather, iPhone OS X 3.2, Apple has already implemented pixel "doubling" so that iPhone/iPod touch apps can run on the iPad and fill most of the screen. The "2x" button doesn't fill the screen of the 1024x768 iPad. It runs iPhone apps at 960x640 on the iPad and results in small black borders (64 pixels and 32 pixels on each side, except for the status bar). If Apple were to use 960x640, the "2x" for iPhone OS 3.1 and prior apps would be the default.

This also would signify that Apple will continue selling a "low cost" iPhone 3GS and iPod touch at 480x320. The big difference between an iPhone and an iPad is the screen area, not screen resolution. Applications have to be redesigned to take advantage of the 8x larger screen area on the iPad. If the screen resolution was increased on the iPhone, but the screen size stayed in the 3.5" range, apps wouldn't change as the screen size is the same. By doing this, Apple are giving app developers the easiest upgrade path. Developers would design at 960x640, then downscaling graphics and fonts for 480x320 for low end iPhone and iPod devices. For iPad, they have to redesign the UI, not just the graphics, but the UI! It'll basically be a different application.

Only issue is whether such a density screen, 320+ ppi, is economically viable. 720x480 would be cheaper, but at 1.5x upscaling, old applications would look ugly and would force app developers to redo the app graphics. With 150k apps, that isn't going to happen.

Who knows, Apple may stick with 480x320, or go with 720x480 because the screens would be cheaper and force developers to redevelop old applications and make users suffer 1.5x upscaling. But 960x640 would technically be best resolution to use for consumers and developers.
  • Reply 114 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4

front facing camera for what??? at&t's 3g network can barely handle regular calls... how and the h3ll will it handle data and voice simultaneously?

Quote:

Exactly. Besides, talking on the phone is way more efficient and a nicer experience.

Let me see if I can envision how this would work.

Scenario One:

1) you get a call from that cute girl... her beautiful likeness is displayed on your phone (and conversely, yours on her phone).

2) you want to whisper sweet nothings to each other so you both put the phones to your ears for a private conversation.

3) through the corner of your eye, you can just barely strain to see the other's earhole in magnificent color and full closeup splendor.

Scenario Two:

1) you get a call from someone (as above) and want to hold a conversation while visually verifying that the other person is who she says she is, and that she is alone (and vice versa)

2) you each hold the phone 18 inches in front of your face and yell at it so the other person* can see and hear you.

* and anyone else unfortunate to be nearby

I can see it now... a restaurant full of realtors (or similar sales people) all sitting around chatting up their clients by spewing at their phones

Reminds me of my dear, late grandma Kate. She had poor hearing and had a then (1950) state-of-the-art hearing aid. It was about the size and weight of a 1-gen iPod. To carry it on her person, she would insert it in her bodice (the only practical place).

This normally worked fine. However, sometimes it would act finicky. Picture a very proper lady, in public, digging down the front of her dress, pulling out the hearing aid, holding it in front of her face and yelling: "Hello, hello... testing, one, two, three, four testing"...

Ah, fond memories!

• Reply 115 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

I doubt this resolution rumor. Imagine, when finally developers get ready adapting their programs for the res. of the iPad, then they should start again for a new iPhone?

I couldn't agree more, 960 x 640 would be insane on such a small screen!

Maybe 800 x 480 would be more realistic, according to what competitors like HTC are doing.
  • Reply 116 of 156
    Quote:

You weren't clear but in spite of going back and forth as we often do in the end we don't really disagree.

As I posted just above this post, The A4 is certainly fine for what the iPad is at this time, it isn't for what some have talked themselves into believing what the iPad can do or is going to do in the future.

For Slate computing to compete with notebooks at some point its going to have to trade battery life for pure processing power. However while that may be be what some users want that may never be what Apple sees as the iPad role.

I agree that the Cortex A9 was and still is very new so it wouldn't have been a good option for Apple at this time.

Which is also why I believe Apple will not go with the Arrandale in the new Macbook Pros.

Apple to the best of my knowledge has never offered up the lastest chip on the market.

1) Curiously, what wasn't clear about the statement, "Plus, [Apple] advertised some unknown chip designation they invented over the Cortex A9 with multiple cores".

2) I'm not sure what you mean by can or can't do. It can do pretty much what the iPhone can do but with a faster chip and larger display, which does open it up to a lot more possibilities. Will it run Adobe Photoshop, like I've seen installed on a netbook? No, but I wouldn't want to even try to use PS on a netbook either. There are some interesting design apps coming for the iPad that do look promising, though. It really is changing the way we look at computing.

3) There will be netbook sales going to the iPad and other tablets. Netbooks have more features and options than the iPad but for what people typically need from these devices the iPad and other tablets running a mobile OS will likely suit them just fine, so I do expect a netbook drop after competing tablets hit the market.

4) Now you've shifted from netbook to notebook. The demarkation is clear and full-sized PCs have nothing to fear from a 10" tablet regardless of what it's performance is.

5) In regards to Intel ? outside of the low-volume high-end processors that Apple gets earlier than other companies as a marketing campaign for both companies ? Apple has been using the lastest chips in most releases.

Usually about a month or so after the release. Apple does have to have hundreds of thousands of these machines in their stores on launch day while Dell and HP, who do little higher-end sales only have to advertise and have BTO option. They aren't buying as many as Apple out of the gate. This boutique-style strategy doesn't scale well, but that's another topic altogether.

There are few case where Apple doesn't use the chips Intel offers and then comes out with some hybrid option that is part of the current and future design, like in an IMac from a couple years ago. I don't think those chips were ever sold to anyone else.

This is the first time since moving to Intel that I can recall Apple going so long between a Pro notebook update (their biggest selling category) without updating to a good jump in both performance and efficiency, which is why many of us longtime Mac users have been waiting for new MBPs; it's a bit unprecedented.
  • Reply 117 of 156
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

AI "In February, a patent application from Apple showed a forward-facing camera on an iPhone-like device. The application described technology for superior picture and video recording performance on mobile devices."

iPad is a different critter altogether.

yes the ipad is different but it is also the same line up and same OS. Look at the quote it even says "mobile devices"

for me the question is what effect would video conferencing have on battery life. Cause the iphone is not known for a great battery. Put it on 3g with a video conference and how fast are you draining things.

Now do the same with the ipad with its much bigger battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Good to see Apple is using their own chip, A4 in their products.

merely a rumor, not fact.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It just dawned on me why the MBPs are so late in being upgraded...

the last major update was in June 2009. less than a year ago. so is anything really so late.

Quote:

They will have a Touch Screen supported by Mac OS X

nice dream but so unlikely at this point. touch screen on a computer, outside of retail kiosks and such, is a gimmick. Apple rarely does gimmicks
  • Reply 118 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

nice dream but so unlikely at this point. touch screen on a computer, outside of retail kiosks and such, is a gimmick. Apple rarely does gimmicks

And without licensing the OS or having a specific need to make Macs for some commercial endeavor that require a touchscreen it doesn't very likely.
  • Reply 119 of 156
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And without licensing the OS or having a specific need to make Macs for some commercial endeavor that require a touchscreen it doesn't very likely.

Well we know they won't license until they are legally forced to.

I could see them eventually creating a touchscreen custom item so businesses that could use it have that very expensive option. Perhaps even include the vesa adapter as a line item to add. But at this point, on the consumer level it's a gimmick.

Right now consumers (even Prosumers) are better served with better battery life, affordable SSD options, matte screen custom item on the whole lineup (imacs included) etc. Prosumers need more display options on size and matte finish, faster and/or bigger everything in the Pro and OS support so they can go buy a 3rd party internal blu-ray drive and pop it into that tower. These are the things that Apple needs to deal with before something limited use like a touch screen mac
  • Reply 120 of 156
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Gruber more or less confirms his earlier post:

Quote:

I hadn’t heard anything about a name, but “HD” makes sense given the 960 × 640 display.

So he's flat saying there will be a 960x640 display, which I take to mean he meant the rest of it as well. Given Gruber's track record (he's willing to speculate like any of us, but he rarely openly declares anything as a fact unless he has some pretty solid info) I'm thinking there's a very good chance that the next iPhone will have the A4 chip, front facing camera, high res screen and multitasking.

I think it's interesting that "multitasking" is in that list but hardly anyone is talking about it. I thought that was the Most Needed Thing Ever?