Apple's Steve Jobs graces Time magazine cover for iPad launch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The latest issue of Time magazine features an interview with Steve Jobs by British actor Stephen Fry, in which the Apple co-founder discusses the iPad, his career and his life.

In an hourlong talk with Jobs, Fry said the CEO showed "unaffected and engaging" pleasure in showing off a Winnie the Pooh iBook that will be bundled with every iPad. The comedian noted that Jobs did the interview in his trademark black turtleneck sweater and Levi's blue jeans, and at one point leaned back and propped his feet up on a table.

"I think the experience of using an iPad is going to be profound for many people," Jobs reportedly said. "I really do. Genuinely profound."

Fry asked Jobs if he believes the iPad is the high point of his career, and if the CEO intends to go out on top, given his recent health issues. In January 2009, Jobs took a leave of absence from Apple due to health-related issues, leaving Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook at the helm. Jobs eventually returned to work in June after receiving a liver transplant.

"I don't think of my life as a career," Jobs told Fry. "I do stuff. I respond to stuff. That's not a career -- it's a life!"

In addition to Jobs, Fry also spoke with Jonathan Ive, senior vice president of industrial design; Phil Schilller, senior VP of worldwide product marketing; and Eddy Cue, VP of Internet services. Schiller said while many have criticized the iPad as being "just a big iPhone," he actually views that comment as a compliment.

"Luckily, millions of people have those, so there is an instant ease and familiarity when they first encounter the iPad," he said. "As for everything else, it's not about the features -- it's about the experience. You just have to try it to see what I mean."

Fry also asked Ive about features missing from the iPad, such as a forward-facing camera for video conferencing.

"In many ways, it's the things that are not there that we are most proud of," Ive said in the latest issue of Time. "For us, it is all about refining and refining until it seems like there's nothing between the user and the content they are interacting with."

Also in the April 12 issue, author Lev Grossman offers a history of the tablet computer, and how it influenced Apple's iPad.

"Nobody ? not even Jobs, by his own admission ? is sure what consumers will use the iPad for, but I'm guessing it will be the first true home computer," Grossman wrote. "Conventional PCs live in studies; laptops make brief, furtive forays into the living room.

"The iPad will become the first whole-house computer, shared among an entire family, passed from hand to hand, roaming freely from living room to kitchen to bedroom to ? look, it's going to happen ? bathroom, at ease everywhere, tethered to nothing. It's not a revolution, but it's a real change, the kind of change you notice."

In addition to appearing on the cover of the magazine a number of times, Jobs was named a finalist for Time's Person of the Year last December. Making the top seven, Jobs was credit for turning Apple into a groundbreaking leader in the technology business.

In addition to covering Apple and iPad news, Time also has big plans for the device set to launch on Saturday. The company has planned a digital version of its weekly magazine for tablet computers such as the iPad.

This week it was also revealed that Time has partnered with Brightcove to allow HTML5 video to replace Adobe Flash content. Because the iPad does not support Flash, publications such as Time and The New York Times have embraced HTML5 so that iPad owners will be able to view video content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    iConic

Will the real Steve please stand up?

• Reply 2 of 104
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    "Time has partnered with Brightcove to allow HTML5 video to replace Adobe Flash content."

When the leaders move, the rest will follow.

The stampede to HTML5 has begun!
  • Reply 3 of 104
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The latest issue of Time magazine features an interview with Steve Jobs by British actor Stephen Fry, in which the Apple co-founder discusses the iPad, his career and his life....

The link to this article is wrong. You're linking to page three of four. The first page is here: http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...6935-1,00.html
  • Reply 4 of 104
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    People don't read anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

There seems to be a certain momentum building.

Brightcove currently have 23 job openings.

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA4/ats/careers...IGHTCOVE&cws=1
  • Reply 6 of 104
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Happy Gullibility Awareness Day, everyone!

• Reply 7 of 104
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Not only do I want to get my hands on my iPad, but I now want to get my hands on that copy of Time.
  • Reply 8 of 104
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    The jokes are already pretty bad with a name like iPad but at least Apple's CEO isn't a woman right now "Inside Ashley's Pad"
  • Reply 9 of 104
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    1. That cover would make a great iPad background.

2. It's funny how he's starting to look a bit like Ghandi. It's said that the latter had a temper, too.
  • Reply 10 of 104
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

The jokes are already pretty bad with a name like iPad but at least Apple's CEO isn't a woman right now "Inside Ashley's Pad"

Jokes about iPad and menstrual pads are indeed lame, overdone and juvenile. So why did you bother to make another one?
  • Reply 11 of 104
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    the end of his career? Bai.
  • Reply 12 of 104
    Thinking in a totally different direction, but curious to all hell... Knowing that the iPad is the next revolutionary device that will "Change the way we interact and compute"... I'm curious as to how far it will be pushed.

For instance, I barely pay attention to Time Magazine, but this issue intrigues me to take more interest. In fact, it's great content like this that would definitely make me become a subscriber to Time on the iPad.

And after looking further into Time, i noticed they have some really great back issues that I would like to read as well... So I'm curious to find out whether or not publications and magazines, like Time, will place back issues of Time on the ibook store. Eh, off topic im sure, but this article spawned me to think... If magazines start putting up back issues as well as current content, shit the ibook store can be the next library of congress x 10.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Zen and the Art of Stuff.
  • Reply 14 of 104
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    What's up with that single crazy-long hair over Jobs' left ear in the photo? Why is it that tech billionaires can by anything except a decent haircut?
  • Reply 15 of 104
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

iConic

Will the real Steve please stand up?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

"Time has partnered with Brightcove to allow HTML5 video to replace Adobe Flash content."

When the leaders move, the rest will follow.

I just read an article that html5 for video were having problem, so I'm not to sure about the revolution quite yet. I do find it ironic that Apple folks, myself included said please not giant iPod touch and that's what we got or so it seems, that Jobs DID say this was his lifes work and he didn't want to make something that ended up in the bathroom yet this article metions exactly that. I think by rev 3 it will be what it should really be. Fast duo chips, FireWire and support for all codecs, of course the hackers will do that right away.

Go Apple and glad to see Jobs happy and somewhat healthy. Health means everything. Be grateful all who have it.
  • Reply 16 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

What's up with that single crazy-long hair over Jobs' left ear in the photo? Why is it that tech billionaires can by anything except a decent haircut?

Can't unsee.

I'm convinced that unless you spend an hour arguing with the stylist there is no such thing as a perfect haircut. Something always gets overlooked.
  • Reply 17 of 104
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Happy Gullibility Awareness Day, everyone!

Could you explain what you mean by that and how it applies to me?
  • Reply 18 of 104
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Don't bring it into the bathroom! It'll get flagged!
  • Reply 19 of 104
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

that's growing OUT of his ear. you know these unwashed vegans and their dirty habits.
  • Reply 20 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

Can't unsee.

I'm convinced that unless you spend an hour arguing with the stylist there is no such thing as a perfect haircut. Something always gets overlooked.

but seriously, didn't they look at the photo before publishing the magazine??