Apple iPad sales predicted to reach 7M in 2010, 20.1M by 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You need access to a traditional computer to do certain things: Adding digital content you already own, and updating the O.S.

It's a standalone computer as long as you don't need to put music and update the software. In itself it's standalone, it just isn't if you want to do both those things. So if you're an old person with no digital music or not a large CD collection and don't need to have the very latest software it for you is completely standalone. I just wonder how many people there are out there like this.

Yes, I agree. But in normal use, it would operate as a standalone device... just the way an iPhone does.

A good example of potential use of the iPad is a hospital or university campus, with possibly thousands of iPads running. primarily, standalone from any physical connection to a computer

And, we are very early in the evolution of this device and its infrastructure. It's not too difficult to envision the day when you could completly eliminate the need for a direct computer connection for normal use.

Just go to the nearest Hot Spot and setup/download/synch/backup/install system software, firmware, apps, content, private files, etc. from the cloud (including iTunes).

The only time you would need to directly connect the device to a computer (or take it to the shop) is if it is malfunctioning.

OTH, if a computer is handy, you can direct connect to it and do all of the above more efficiently (because the computer constantly maintains synch with the cloud)

• Reply 22 of 59
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Have any real world performance tests been done that show a device using HTML5 has a significantly lower CPU overhead than one using Flash?
  • Reply 23 of 59
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    7M will be a huge success for Apple. How many other tablets sold up-to-date?

But I think 4 M for first year is a realistic target. If it has a good webcam & native software associated with it I could see 7 M easily.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

PC users see little value in the iPad, they can get a whole laptop for the same price. They also see the iPads limited storage as a hassle, they know over time data grows and will fill the iPad, meaning they would have to work to regulate the data. They rather have a large storage and not worry about it.

I don't know why you think all PC users are that dumb. They know the difference between iPad and net/notebook. I say people who are happy with their iPhones are potential buyers for iPad. Computer they use is irrelevant.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    t0mat0t0mat0 Posts: 58member
    Munster is way off - if you estimate pre-sales - that'd top 900,000.

10 million in 12 months. Guaranteed, guaranteed.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The data in the link does not support your assumptions.

Here are some things to consider:

-- millions of households have at least 1 computer

-- an iPhone requires a computer (more so, than an iPad).

-- millions of iPhones have been sold

-- an iPad is not an accessory

-- an iPad can aquire apps and content directly with the device (no computer connection needed)

-- you can synch backup iPad data directly to/from the cloud

Also: lots of people buy or have bought a netbook.

lots of people think a netbook suits their needs perfectly

lots of people will like how the iPad compares to an average netbook in terms of: form factor, price, screen estate, weight, build quality, resistance, battery life, applications (many more available on the app store than for the average netbook), movies, books.

Just to add my two cents.

of course the iPad has its trade-offs in certain areas. Hey, nobody's perfect
  • Reply 27 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t0mat0 View Post

Munster is way off - if you estimate pre-sales - that'd top 900,000.

10 million in 12 months. Guaranteed, guaranteed.

Where's the guarantee?
  • Reply 28 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Also: lots of people buy or have bought a netbook.

lots of people think a netbook suits their needs perfectly.

I'd say even more bought a netbook only to realize how slow, cramped and clunky it was. It's easy to say someone who thinks this way is merely agreeing with Jobs, but he's actually right. I've used several of them and wondered what all the fuss was about.

One word comes to mind with regards netbooks: slow.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Where's the guarantee?

Or your money cheerfully refunded!
  • Reply 30 of 59
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Around the 7M mark in 2010 makes sense. I think it's impossibly to predict with any degree of certainty though.

It could as easily be 6M as it is 12M by January '11.

i have to scoff at all predictions at this point. because they are based on nothing.

now give me the opening to opening numbers and then two weeks out from the 3g release when things are dying down a bit and use that to estimate, if sales continue at that pace, the total number sold and you've got a decent number.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    I think Apple in a short time has gone a good ways towards killing flash on big websites.

Next someone need to work on all the damn canned restaurant websites. Its like the same guy made evry restaurants website and it uses flash out the wazoo.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't know why you think all PC users are that dumb. They know the difference between iPad and net/notebook. I say people who are happy with their iPhones are potential buyers for iPad. Computer they use is irrelevant.

He doesn't think PC users are that dumb. He thinks YOU are that dumb. He's already decided that you can't think for yourself, where "think for yourself" is a thinly veiled codephrase for "agree with SpotOn", so he's taken it upon himself to "help you out" by insisting that he be allowed to do your thinking for you. Hence, his incessant yapping on AppleInsider where he continually posts the same, lame attacks upon the iPad, the company that produces it, and anyone foolish enough to be caught admitting that they have already ordered one. You see, SpotOn is so incredibly intelligent that he knows what the iPad can and can't do because he designed it - all by himself, over the course of a single weekend in Poughkeepsie (don't ask) - as a part of a secret mission to save Apple from Steve Jobs' monumental incompetence. We all think the iPad-hating is just a lack of imagination on his part, but SpotOn is really trying to UNDO his own terrible mistake - you see, SpotOn can also read the future (see his predictions about iPad sales) and knows that the real problem with iPad is that it's TOO good, and that within five years a network of iPads and cheap city-wide wireless access will create a self-aware networked entity, not unlike SkyNet but instead of destroying humanity it has the goal of wiping out all non-Apple users, and the sad part of THAT is that the next-to-last victim of this iNet? would otherwise have discovered a way to make Windows NOT suck. In 2054 AD. When there was finally enough processing power available on a single chip to run both Windows and the required anti-virus software AT THE SAME TIME.

I would have posted this yesterday, but I was afraid that some people might think it was an April Fools' jape essayed at the expense of another AI reader.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

as I posted previously, there is now competition, i.e., the JooJoo

I think Trapper Keeper is more competition than JooJoo at this point. JooJoo is doing the Browser-based OS running on a Linux kernel thang but the execution is faulty.

I like aspects of their homescreen better, but that is about it at this point. Issues I've seen, so far, are:
    • A small keyboard oddly placed on display

• Slow response time between touchscreen inputs (though faster than expected, to be honest)

• Widescreen display that only makes it good for video but nothing that includes reading

• An unintuitive two-finger scroll of webpages instead of one (THIS IS REALLY STUPID!!!)

• High price for the low NAND capacity

• Low battery life

• Neat spec sheet performance that translates into shitty actual performance (eg: they claim 1080p but you can't even play HD Flash video without it being choppy)

• No SDK or app store

Did I miss any pros or cons?
  • Reply 34 of 59
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Yes, I agree. But in normal use, it would operate as a standalone device... just the way an iPhone does.

A good example of potential use of the iPad is a hospital or university campus, with possibly thousands of iPads running. primarily, standalone from any physical connection to a computer

And, we are very early in the evolution of this device and its infrastructure. It's not too difficult to envision the day when you could completly eliminate the need for a direct computer connection for normal use.

Just go to the nearest Hot Spot and setup/download/synch/backup/install system software, firmware, apps, content, private files, etc. from the cloud (including iTunes).

The only time you would need to directly connect the device to a computer (or take it to the shop) is if it is malfunctioning.

OTH, if a computer is handy, you can direct connect to it and do all of the above more efficiently (because the computer constantly maintains synch with the cloud)

Not really.

As Apple tables,
    Quote:

Mac system requirements
    • Mac computer with USB 2.0 port

• Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later

• iTunes 9.0 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

• iTunes Store account

• Internet access

Windows system requirements
    • PC with USB 2.0 port

• Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later

• iTunes 9.0 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

• iTunes Store account

• Internet access

Why? Because they are all needed to backup, restore and secure everything that you put, create or store on your iPad more efficiently, faster and safer.

I would personally discourage anyone to open/setup their iTunes Store account on any other computer that somebody else controls.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

...In 2054 AD. When there was finally enough processing power available on a single chip to run both Windows and the required anti-virus software AT THE SAME TIME.

JeJeJe...

This would require hardware implementation of the long-anticipated "IF Gate". The "IF Gate" emits an impulse 1 yoctosecond before it receives a triggering impulse. The virus will be detected and zapped before it appears!

• Reply 36 of 59
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Trapper Keeper is more competition than JooJoo at this point. JooJoo is doing the Browser-based OS running on a Linux kernel thang but the execution isn't faulty. I like aspects of their homescreen better, but that is about it. Issues I've seen are a small keyboard, slow response time (though faster than expected), widescreen display that only makes it good for video but nothing that includes reading, an unintuitive two-finger scroll of webpages instead of one, high price for the NAND capacity, low battery life, great spec sheet performance that translates into shitty actual performance (eg: they claim 1080p but you can't even play HD Flash video without it being choppy), and no SDK or app store, to name just a few off the drawbacks that caught my eye.

I hope you realize that my prediction for iPads at the end of the year was 11,999,999 and not 12 million. The difference was the one sale for JooJoo.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Not really.

As Apple tables,Why? Because they are all needed to backup, restore and secure everything that you put, create or store on your iPad more efficiently, faster and safer.

I would personally discourage anyone to open/setup their iTunes Store account on any other computer that somebody else controls.

I did state:

Knowing Apple, (since 1978), I suspect they have a solution well-along in development!

• Reply 38 of 59
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Trapper Keeper is more competition than JooJoo at this point. JooJoo is doing the Browser-based OS running on a Linux kernel thang but the execution isn't faulty. I like aspects of their homescreen better, but that is about it. Issues I've seen are a small keyboard, slow response time (though faster than expected), widescreen display that only makes it good for video but nothing that includes reading, an unintuitive two-finger scroll of webpages instead of one, high price for the NAND capacity, low battery life, great spec sheet performance that translates into shitty actual performance (eg: they claim 1080p but you can't even play HD Flash video without it being choppy), and no SDK or app store, to name just a few off the drawbacks that caught my eye.

I can't remember at which tech site I saw the article pretty much laying out what you're saying, complete with video, but, amazingly (or perhaps inevitably) the comments were full of posters yelling "OMG awesome so much better than the MaxiPad why would anyone buy that pile of fail so beautiful it will be mine!"

Which is why I generally have stopped reading the comments at tech sites.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

The data in the link does not support your assumptions.

The iPod has a mixed range of prices from about $60 to $250 at 36% adoption rate for all computer users.

The iPod Touch is more, $200 to $400 price range, and has a 9% adoption rate for all computer users.

In the chart the iPod Touch as less adoption percentage for two reasons, it's low storage and it's high price. That's why it morphed into a portable gaming device instead of a content consumption device.

The higher the price, the lower the storage, the less the adoption is.

The iPad is just a larger and more expensive iPod Touch.

Quote:

-- an iPad is not an accessory

A iPad is a accessory to the functions done on a regular computer because it needs a computer. If it was a tablet computer, then it would be it's own standalone device. Since the iPad is NOT a tablet computer, it's a accessory device with extra unique features, just like the iPod or the iPhone.

From Apple:

Quote:

Mac system requirements

* Mac computer with USB 2.0 port

* Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later

* iTunes 9.0 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

* iTunes Store account

* Internet access

Windows system requirements

* PC with USB 2.0 port

* Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later

* iTunes 9.0 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

* iTunes Store account

* Internet access

Therefore, if the iPad needs a computer operate, it limits it's sales to those who already have a computer or to people that can manage the iPad for them.

Apple is shifting it's MacBook market segment into more expensive MacBook Pro's with the introduction of the computer dependent iPad. This will cause the MacBook market (who need a less costly and fully independent machine) to shift to PC laptops or netbooks instead.

Microsoft danced a jig when Apple announced the iPad specs and it's prices because Apple really didn't offer a competitive alternative to $300+ netbooks and $500+ PC laptops.

iPad: $1000+ Mac or $600+ PC + $500+ iPad + accessories = $1100+

MacBook: $1000

MacBook Pro: $1200+

Windows 7 laptop: $500+

If the iPad was it's own device, not needing a computer, then this is the competitive situation:

iPad (device independent): $500+

Windows 7 laptop: $500+

This would be a much more serious situation for Microsoft and PC vendors. People would ask "PC laptop or iPad?"

Apple tied the iPad to a computer in the hopes getting PC users to scale up to a Mac. A iPad "halo effect" just like the iPod and the iPhone "halo effect". In doing so their sales of the iPad won't be as great as if they made the device independent, Apple is also alienating the lower end MacBook market segment just a bit by giving them only one model to chose from.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Therefore, if the iPad needs a computer operate, it limits it's sales to those who already have a computer or to people that can manage the iPad for them.

Those who already have a computer. That's quite a limit, isn't it?