WSJ: After strong initial demand, some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 203
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's hyped, no doubt about that. The real point here though is for a lot of people it not only does what they want it to do, it does what they want to do in an easier, infinitely more intuitive, faster way then they are accustomed to. In that sense it's the future of computing. Not for the geeks - but for everyone else. Newsflash! There are a lot more everyone else's than geeks. That is the whole point of this device. It's like a magazine sized computer that is a screen onto the world, with which they can do their "internet stuff" on.

I say have the big powerful desktop computer to geek out on anytime you feel like it, and have the iPad on the coffee table to use for everything else. Going to the café down the street? Grab the iPad.

There are normal geeks, and abnormal geeks. The normal geeks like many of us here, don't want to be geeks all of the time. There are times when we just want to chill out. The iPad will be great. There's lots of things to do with it that we can do without looking for the exact setting in some obscure control panel to tweak first.

Then there are the "Big Bang Theory" geeks. Those are the full time geeks. The iPad will be great. They can carry ALL their comic books around with them ALL of the time!

I shiver at the thought!
  • Reply 22 of 203
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

It's hyped, no doubt about that. The real point here though is for a lot of people it not only does what they want it to do, it does what they want to do in an easier, infinitely more intuitive, faster way then they are accustomed to. In that sense it's the future of computing. Not for the geeks - but for everyone else. That is the whole point of this device.

I think it fits nicely between the cell phone and the laptop... I certainly don't see it replacing the laptop. And I doubt the astute expect it to. It's nice for its purpose. Seems people are angered by the iPad. I just can't understand why. Maybe if Google's name appeared on it, the reception would be different.

I won't be packing my notebook anymore when I go to school. I can do everything I need to do on the iPad....
  • Reply 23 of 203
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Either iPads are sold out or they are not. Are they?
  • Reply 24 of 203
    uberbenuberben Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Good luck selling those predicted 20 million ipads by the end of the year Apple....

the hype for this thing was way way way bigger in the minds of the media than in the real world where most people see it for what it is: a $500 jumbo ipod touch. neither magical nor revolutionary. but very expensive.

As an interface to computing power goes the iPod Touch and iPhone are awesome. Obviously not magical since Harry Potter isn't real and probably revolutionary, even if people doesn't think it deserves to be what causes a large paradigm shift.

Quite frankly, considering how good the interface features of the iPod Touch are I am surprised that anyone would doubt how useful, nice to use and life enhancing a larger version would be.
  • Reply 25 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

He did buy one and reviewed it, with his usual bash Apple discord.

I won't post the link, why give that grump hit traffic?

Why even mention his name?

Who is Paul anyway?

But you know, I've red him for years. He's a bit skitzo. He loves Microsoft and Windows, as you can tell from the name of his site (blog?). But at the same time, he thinks that OS X is better, and that MS should emulate what Apple's done. He bashed the MacBook Pro, and then a couple of months later bought one. Same with the iMac. I predict he'll love the iPad too.
  • Reply 26 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Good luck selling those predicted 20 million ipads by the end of the year Apple....

the hype for this thing was way way way bigger in the minds of the media than in the real world where most people see it for what it is: a $500 jumbo ipod touch. neither magical nor revolutionary. but very expensive.

Have you seen this thing? Played with it? Imagined what it will be able to do?

I just spent three hours with mine, and it is way more interesting and powerful than I had imagined. You have to hold one of these things in your hands to get an inkling of how this (and its progeny) will change the way we relate to "computing."

Revisit your comments in one year. No, come back in six months. Wait, scratch that -- see what's happening vis a vis the iPad in 90 days.
  • Reply 27 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I think it fits nicely between the cell phone and the laptop... I certainly don't see it replacing the laptop. And I doubt the astute expect it to. It's nice for its purpose. Seems people are angered by the iPad. I just can't understand why. Maybe if Google's name appeared on it, the reception would be different.

I won't be packing my notebook anymore when I go to school. I can do everything I need to do on the iPad....

There will always be people who hate most every product Apple does. Just like there will always be people who hate most every product Microsoft does.

We have to discount these people, difficult as though it may be.
  • Reply 28 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

In some places.
  • Reply 29 of 203
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Quote:

WSJ: After strong initial demand, some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'

Yes they are (edit wrong! see next post), but actually that's a good thing Apple didn't have too much supply on hand like they could have. Apple got the attraction they wanted without the trouble and the costs of paying for city time for officers and the like. It was all over in a few hours.

I suspect Apple will have some more come again, and then another batch and another.

Also this gives time to evaluate the hardware in the public, catch any issues etc.

I think with this roll out Apple did good, I hope the lucky few who got a iPad early enjoy their device.
  • Reply 30 of 203
    Just came back from the Apple Store West 14th Street (NYC) and they are still selling them. There are no lines, I just was playing with one and an employee came up to me and asked me if I had any questions, I said no but the guy next to me wanted to buy one so he went into the back and got him a 16GB iPad. (This was about 6:45PM)
  • Reply 31 of 203
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I think it fits nicely between the cell phone and the laptop.

I disagree. I think it fits between a smartphone and a desktop.
  • Reply 32 of 203
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But you know, I've red him for years. He's a bit skitzo. He loves Microsoft and Windows, as you can tell from the name of his site (blog?). But at the same time, he thinks that OS X is better, and that MS should emulate what Apple's done. He bashed the MacBook Pro, and then a couple of months later bought one. Same with the iMac. I predict he'll love the iPad too.

Oh, deep down he's a technology buff that wants the best, he will love the iPad.

It's just history, and money, has got him locked to Microsoft's teat, so he's got to troll to please his Redmond paymasters.
  • Reply 33 of 203
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Whoa whoa, some stores sold out their 60 units! The lines must have been at least 20 feet long! Talk about huge sales...

what you fail to understand is that most of those people are now going to act as salespeople for the ipad. even if they had sold 'just' 100,000 ipads - in the wild they are going to attract more interest than any commercial every could.

let's revisit sales numbers in a year, shall we?
  • Reply 34 of 203
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:

A larger, faster, more-powerful iPod touch with a 10" screen? How is that a bad thing?

I've been wanting a bigger iPod touch. I got it and in the bargain got faster and more powerful.

it is a GOOD THING.

Call me Martha
  • Reply 35 of 203
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Maybe I'm a little slow, but isn't this pretty much a "duh" title? When I went to get my iPhone 3GS at the Apple store at launch, the lines moved slow and it took forever to get done because they had to open the box, insert the SIM card, sync it with iTunes, verify your AT&T account, etc.

With the iPad, you just go in, pay for it, then get the hell out.
  • Reply 36 of 203
    arjnyarjny Posts: 2member
    Unfortunately, my local Apple Store is at 59th and 5th in NY. Tried to get in today but the line was so long we gave up. Ordered on line but will need to wait until the 12th.
  • Reply 37 of 203
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

He did buy one and reviewed it, with his usual bash Apple discord.

Who is Paul anyway?

I just found and read his "first impressions." I thought he was fair, praising the good things and criticizing the bad. I can not trust a reviewer who has nothing bad to say about something.
  • Reply 38 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Maybe I'm a little slow, but isn't this pretty much a "duh" title? When I went to get my iPhone 3GS at the Apple store at launch, the lines moved slow and it took forever to get done because they had to open the box, insert the SIM card, sync it with iTunes, verify your AT&T account, etc.

With the iPad, you just go in, pay for it, then get the hell out.

Your local Apple store is also on the upper West Side, SoHo, and West 14th st.

The 5th Ave store is the worst one for this as people think like you do. The best store right now, because it's a bit out of the way, is the one in the Meatpacking district on West 14th st.

And it doesn't take more than about 15 minutes to get to any of them from midtown.
  • Reply 39 of 203
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

I disagree. I think it fits between a smartphone and a desktop.

I agree. It's for people who don't have or really need a laptop, but want to consume media, and maybe even create a bit on the go and in a more relaxed way. My Best Buy in NJ was sold out and only had a few left that hadn't been picked up. No lines when I went but that was around 4:30.
  • Reply 40 of 203
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Your local Apple store is also on the upper West Side, SoHo, and West 14th st.

The 5th Ave store is the worst one for this as people think like you do. The best store right now, because it's a bit out of the way, is the one in the Meatpacking district on West 14th st.

And it doesn't take more than about 15 minutes to get to any of them from midtown.

Huh? I live in NC near Raleigh.