WSJ: After strong initial demand, some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 203
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Huh? I live in NC near Raleigh.

Which 5th Ave store are you talking about? When you say "5th Ave Store", the one that will come to mind for almost anyone will be the one in NYC.
  • Reply 42 of 203
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    WSJ: . . . .some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'

And then Apple releases sales figures which show the exact opposite.

This is how it goes.
  • Reply 43 of 203
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Which 5th Ave store are you talking about? When you say "5th Ave Store", the one that will come to mind for almost anyone will be the one in NYC.

Now I'm confused. Are you responding to me or melgross? He started mentioning stores that are nowhere even close to me seeing as I live in North Carolina.
  • Reply 44 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Now I'm confused. Are you responding to me or melgross? He started mentioning stores that are nowhere even close to me seeing as I live in North Carolina.

Hmmm! I seem to have clicked on the wrong post when I hit the button.

I meant to respond to arjny. I have no idea how I hit your post.

Now, I'M confused.
  • Reply 45 of 203
    katonahkatonah Posts: 95member
    I went to the Upper West Side NYC store today, about 12:30 to avoid the crowds. At that time there were no lines. Upstairs was very crowded as everyone was checking out the ipad.

Downstairs, where those with reservations had to go... plenty of people there but no waiting at the genius counter where I picked up my reservation - which was for 1 ipad 32gb. I asked if it would be a problem if I bought a second one, since the Apple site said after 3 pm they would sell the reserved units that hadn't been bought. But I was told, "sure, no problem, I can give you a second one!".

So... now I have two Ipad's! One for me and one for the missus. My son who has been waiting since forever since he wanted a macbook but knew the ipad was coming out, got his ipad today too. He is very happy to have a portable, casual tablet computer.

Needless to say, the screen is breathtaking, CNN, NYTIMES websites look fantastic, the ibooks, videos and games are spectacular, and the apps we are used to from the iphone have a great look on the ipad as well.

Those that say its nothing but a big itouch are correct. WHY MESS WITH SUCCESS??!!

This product will become even better and more desirable as people see the fantastic new apps written expressly for the ipad come out.
  • Reply 46 of 203
    buck45buck45 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

He did buy one and reviewed it, with his usual bash Apple discord.

I won't post the link, why give that grump hit traffic?

Why even mention his name?

Who is Paul anyway?

Every now and then, for a good laugh, I will read his Vista review. He is a clown.
  • Reply 47 of 203
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    I am waiting for the 3G model
  • Reply 48 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

I am waiting for the 3G model

Me too. I hope it's here before my daughter has to go back to school so she can see it at home.
  • Reply 49 of 203
    I picked up the last 64 gig iPad at my Best Buy (Monroe ny) at 6:00 pm. They still had plenty of 32 gig models available. Glad I didn't go to an Apple store and wait in line.
  • Reply 50 of 203
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    new estimates are 700,000 for Saturday. Badass, if true.
  • Reply 51 of 203
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I don't think the model without 3G will appeal to most so I would expect the lines to be moderate. Apple allowed pre-ordering online or through your phone rep. so this is going go put a big dent in lines that the media focus on.

I ordered 4 online and no one saw. Wait till Apple's sales #s come through. Brilliant that they posted those fantastic looking apps on their web site on launch day. They look incredible!

By the way, I think Apple should avoid so much confusion in their product launches. I know they can squeeze some extra bucks out of us. I get that this is new and they want to hurry up and get at least the wi-fi model out, but it reminds me of how they sold the early iMacs without airport cards. It was an Xtra option that you paid for.

We'll soon see iPads with everything, differentiated by RAM, as it should be.
  • Reply 52 of 203
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    I know for me ... I have already pre-ordered the 64GB 3G iPad, so there really isn't too much need for me to go to an Apple Store on launch day if I know I'm not going to buy one. I really want the 3G connectivity for when I'm traveling, so the WiFI only model doesn't appeal to me as much.

I stood in line launch day for the orginal 2.5G iPhone and the iPhone 3GS, and I know how hectic those stores get when new products come out -- I'm honestly trying to avoid it, and I know I'm not the only person who falls into that category. I figure I will wait until Tuesday or Wednesday, and then head down to my local Apple Store in San Diego and take one for a test spin when I can actually get some solid face time with the device. Then all I have to do it wait a couple weeks for the FedEx man to bring mine to my house ...
  • Reply 53 of 203
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

new estimates are 700,000 for Saturday. Badass, if true.

Phenomenal, if true.
  • Reply 54 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

I know for me ... I have already pre-ordered the 64GB 3G iPad, so there really isn't too much need for me to go to an Apple Store on launch day if I know I'm not going to buy one. I really want the 3G connectivity for when I'm traveling, so the WiFI only model doesn't appeal to me as much.

I stood in line launch day for the orginal 2.5G iPhone and the iPhone 3GS, and I know how hectic those stores get when new products come out -- I'm honestly trying to avoid it, and I know I'm not the only person who falls into that category. I figure I will wait until Tuesday or Wednesday, and then head down to my local Apple Store in San Diego and take one for a test spin when I can actually get some solid face time with the device. Then all I have to do it wait a couple weeks for the FedEx man to bring mine to my house ...

We're not pre-ordering our 3G. My wife really likes to go to the Apple store for this kind of thing. We waited on line for our iPhones. It's a very happy atmosphere in the lines and in the stores. Getting it from a delivery service just seems too sterile for this. I bought their 24" iMacs that way, but I think we can manage to carry this home without a heavy hand cart.

Of course, if you don't live within reasonable distance from a store that carries it, then pre-ordering it is required.
  • Reply 55 of 203
    edougedoug Posts: 12member
    I was heading home from a haircut and followed the UPS truck right to my house! Best line ever. That said, this thing feels like a little tank! It is heavy holding one-handed for any long period of time.

I'm also a bit sad that I may endue needing the Apple case so I can screen-type from my lap more effectively (or find the right pillow or maybe lap-beanbag). I hate the idea of putting something so pretty into a case.
  • Reply 56 of 203
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edoug View Post

I'm also a bit sad that I may endue needing the Apple case so I can screen-type from my lap more effectively (or find the right pillow or maybe lap-beanbag). I hate the idea of putting something so pretty into a case.

Apparently, you can't even lay it flat on a table and type because of its rounded back? What's with that? Seems like cross legged or with a case stand is the only way to type on the iPad?

Does anyone think Apple will release sales numbers for the iPad? Seems like they're always kinda secretive, or combine total sales of several products in their reports.
  • Reply 57 of 203
    doggonedoggone Posts: 379member
    I think one of the things the journalists don't realize is that Apple really know how to deal with these launches.

When I went to pick up our iPhones GSes on the first day at the Valley Fair mall, I had to wait less than 10 minutes before I got into the store. There was an assistant ready to set up everything and it took no time at all before I left the store. They can move pre-ordered pick ups very quickly. This is very different from the first iPhone launch which was more chaotic.

Add in that the iPad could also be shipped to your door and it is not surprising that the lines are thinner.
  • Reply 58 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Either iPads are sold out or they are not. Are they?

And, if they are, either you are happy or not. Are you?
  • Reply 59 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Apparently, you can't even lay it flat on a table and type because of its rounded back? What's with that? Seems like cross legged or with a case stand is the only way to type on the iPad?

Does anyone think Apple will release sales numbers for the iPad? Seems like they're always kinda secretive, or combine total sales of several products in their reports.

People want thin. Or the appearance of the thinnest look. Tapering the case does that. It also makes it more comfortable to hold. Something's got to give.

While Apple hasn't yet seen fit to separate the iPod Touch sales from iPod sales in general, though recently, they've given more of a hint of sales for it, they've always given sales numbers for the iPhone, because it's in its own category.

Hopefully, they will see the iPad that way as well, allowing then to give out numbers.
  • Reply 60 of 203
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

People want thin. Or the appearance of the thinnest look. Tapering the case does that. It also makes it more comfortable to hold. Something's got to give.

As well as increased rigidity.