Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is (undeniably) doomed!?

double dare doomed!
  • Reply 22 of 77
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What I find doubly interesting about the these line numbers is the iPad requires no activation so lines would move faster and pre-order allowed units to be shipped to your home which would also reduce the iPad line.

And, not including the ton of us that ordered the 3G version, eagerly awaiting the end of April...... it is going to be looooooooooooooong April! \
  • Reply 23 of 77
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Just saw my first iPad in the wild at a coffee shop across the street.

I saw a guy using one yesterday as I was walking home from the Apple store. He was sitting at an outdoor cafe table, and there were about 10 people crowded around him watching.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCNoble View Post

why do these forums always fall for apple's supply constraint rumors?

Because it's fun to do so?
  • Reply 25 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Why do forums give any time to "Analysts" sales numbers. Its a crap-shoot until Apple actually divulges the numbers.

Because it resonates?

As of a couple of minutes ago, the news about Munster's estimate is one of three news stories on the 'Top Stories' section of news.google.com.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I saw a guy using one yesterday as I was walking home from the Apple store. He was sitting at an outdoor cafe table, and there were about 10 people crowded around him watching.

Oh man, I hope that this does not turn into a paparazzi thing. I am waiting on my 3G iPad to be delivered to my home at the end of the month and then off on vacation....

• Reply 27 of 77
    ijoeijoe Posts: 18member
    imagine how many more they would sell if the apple store was open today! not saying they should be open today but it brigs me the question of why release it on saturday before easter knowing they are closing the next day. That obviously affects the numbers for sales for "opening weekend". I can't wait to get my 3g !
  • Reply 28 of 77
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ijoe View Post

imagine how many more they would sell if the apple store was open today! not saying they should be open today but it brigs me the question of why release it on saturday before easter knowing they are closing the next day. That obviously affects the numbers for sales for "opening weekend". I can't wait to get my 3g !

Apple stores are open today.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    ijoeijoe Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

Apple stores are open today.

where are you at? Im in colorado and went to 2 of them and they were closed
  • Reply 30 of 77
    rtamesisrtamesis Posts: 88member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Following the iPad's first full day of sales, Wall Street analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray increased his prediction to between 600,000 and 700,000 sold in the first 24 hours.

LESS than 700,000? iPad is obviously a HUGE failure and will never be more than a blip in the screen. Apple is truly doomed.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

LESS than 700,000? iPad is obviously a HUGE failure and will never be more than a blip in the screen. Apple is truly doomed.

I've gone full circle... I've gone from "wow, I absolutely want one" after the keynote to "no way." I am now somewhere in the middle. I don't need one, but can't wait to see one.

I'll hold off for the next version for now, but again, can't wait to see one.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

why do these forums always fall for apple's supply constraint rumors? they're obviously put out by apple to spur lines and push forward demand. none of their major launches ever have supply constraints. you'd think by now people would catch on to the ruse..

i think the supply constraint rumours are put out by 'analysts' to manipulate the stock. apple has always been notoriously quiet. nature abhors a vacuum - so it gets filled with rumours. and until apple speaks, that's all they ever are - rumours.

do we 'fall' for them? i don't think so. at least not if you've been around here for a while. the trolls will always accuse apple of hype, when in fact the hype gets produced by the lack of leaks from apple. i personally think that i'd rather hear from them when they have something to say, rather than floating vapourware to see what sticks, or to preempt a competitor's product launch.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    dzigndzign Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

So, have they officially announced that they are now taking "bulk orders?" It would be good news for sales if this were to happen immediately.

Of course, I am quite curious as to who is seriously interested in bulk orders and how bulky they are!

It appears we are off to a great start!

Educational institutions: Get your discounted iPad 10-pack

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/20/educa...-ipad-10-pack/
  • Reply 34 of 77
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Yes. 650.000 in a day is nothing more than a rounding error, in fact

On a more serious note: I wonder how many units the most popular tablet PC's have sold in the years leading up to the iPads release? It would be interesting to compare those numbers after the iPad has been made avaiable in both WiFi + 3G versions internationally.

Would it be too outlandish to predict that Apple will probably sell more iPads in one year, than all tablets before it have sold in total?
  • Reply 35 of 77
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Why do forums give any time to "Analysts" sales numbers. Its a crap-shoot until Apple actually divulges the numbers.

Why do people come to a rumor site and expect factual reporting about rumors?
  • Reply 36 of 77
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ijoe View Post

where are you at? Im in colorado and went to 2 of them and they were closed

Depends on your state.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

I've gone full circle... I've gone from "wow, I absolutely want one" after the keynote to "no way." I am now somewhere in the middle. I don't need one, but can't wait to see one.

I'll hold off for the next version for now, but again, can't wait to see one.

I'm waiting for the next iPhone and Mac Pro. When a year goes by I'll check out the next iPad.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I was also wondering about what percentage of the tablet market Apple has captured in one day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garion View Post

Yes. 650.000 in a day is nothing more than a rounding error, in fact

On a more serious note: I wonder how many units the most popular tablet PC's have sold in the years leading up to the iPads release? It would be interesting to compare those numbers after the iPad has been made avaiable in both WiFi + 3G versions internationally.

Would it be too outlandish to predict that Apple will probably sell more iPads in one year, than all tablets before it have sold in total?

Quote:

• Reply 39 of 77
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Quote:

why do these forums always fall for apple's supply constraint rumors? they're obviously put out by apple to spur lines and push forward demand. none of their major launches ever have supply constraints. you'd think by now people would catch on to the ruse..

AFAIK Apple did not comment on supply issues, one way or another. It was all of the rumor sites and the "financial experts" that were doing all of the commenting. Apple put out nothing .... big difference from what you are claiming. Think first. \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

ReallY? Piper Jaffray has lied about contacted stores and measuring line densities because they are employed by Apple? Do you have anything to back up such a claim?

newbee already trumped the allegations of DCNoble quite well, and I agree with newbee's point.

However, having read a number of Gene Munster's projections, the basis of his predictions or projections would not pass muster what would be considered to be valid statistical sampling. For example, if his readjusted projection was based mainly on this statement:

Quote:

.. Checks with 20 Apple stores found that 19 of them still had iPads in stock at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. Munster said ...

and the stores themselves were not randomly sampled throughout the US, it would not meet the criteria of valid statistical sampling.

As a result, as far as a I recall from reports comparing analysts projections [I do not have the data in front of me], quite a number of his Gene Munster's projections about Apple products and earnings, or the products and prices Apple would introduce, are not always correct and often, not even close.

I am sure a number of others here could cite more predictions and projections of Munster that did not pan out.

In fact, he usually has to re-assess his prior projections; and still he usually is off or at best just close.

Munster was infamous for predicting in June 2007 (?) that Apple would sell 45 million iPhone units (annually) by 2009 ***

He maintained the aforementioned projection even after the economic and market collapse that started in the summer of 2008. If you review the basis of Munster's projections, the assumptions turned out to be faulty or too exuberant. He also tends to base them from unreliable sources.

Nonetheless, Munster is the "darling" among Apple proponents because he tends to provide predictions and projections that are very positive for Apple product. This seems to be a blindspot among us who not only like but love what Apple creates for us -- we tend to accept rumors or, "predictions and projections" even if their bases are at best flimsy or unreliable, and accept them as "facts" to be the starting point of our own projections and speculations.

In fairness, many business analysts, as well as business and technoloigy analyses of newspapers and their own analysts (including prestigious papers like NY Times) tend to have a premise or "perspective" already, and then they try to find what they consider as facts to corroborate their premise or "perspective".

To illustrate the aforementioned on a day-to-day basis, read the headline of the stock market (in the US) in the morning and at the end of the day -- you may find that the same "facts" may be used to justify the direction of the market at the start of the day, and may be reinterpreted (or new information) introduced, if the direction of the market are contradictory when it opens and closes during the day.

My own bias right now is that many business analysts, have the same tendency to provide the alleged "facts" to justify their predictions and projections.

CGC

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....hones-in-2009/

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8336
  • Reply 40 of 77
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Tomorrow's headlines will declare that people are quickly losing interest as sales numbers dropped sharply from 700,000 a day to 50,000 a day.