Piper increases first-day Apple iPad sales forecast to 650K

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Following the iPad's first full day of sales, Wall Street analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray increased his prediction to between 600,000 and 700,000 sold in the first 24 hours.



Checks with 20 Apple stores found that 19 of them still had iPads in stock at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. Munster said that's a positive sign, because it means that Apple was able to meet initial demand for the device.



The analyst also noted that there were longer than expected lines at five Apple stores surveyed, including the iconic 5th Avenue store in New York City, where 730 people were in line at 9 a.m. Compare that to just 350 people in line for the iPhone 3GS, and 540 for the iPhone 3G.



"We estimate Apple sold between 600-700k iPads (including online pre-orders which started on March 12th) on the first day (4/3)," Munster wrote. "It took Apple three days to sell a million iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G's, and 74 days to sell 1m original iPhones. Keep in mind, the majority of sales come on the first day of availability."



Munster had originally predicted that Apple would only be able to produce between 200,000 and 300,000 iPads for the launch weekend. He believed the company would sell through that inventory almost immediately.



Munster's latest numbers fall in line with a report from early March, in which suppliers claimed there were no production issues for the iPad and they would be able to ship between 600,000 and 700,000 at launch. That same report said Apple would be able to ship another million iPads by the end of April.



When Apple began accepting preorders, it limited the number of purchases to two per person, and also turned down volume orders for businesses. These actions fueled speculation of a tight iPad supply for the product's launch.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 77
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Looks like we are in line to sell 1 M in first three days also - perhaps even a little more. I do hope Apple announces the milestone.



    If the 3G model really is shipped before the end of the month, and Europe also comes on line, then we could hit almost 2 M by May 1.



    Great opening!
  • Reply 2 of 77
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post


    Looks like we are in line to sell 1 M in first three days also - perhaps even a little more. I do hope Apple announces the milestone.



    If the 3G model really is shipped before the end of the month, and Europe also comes on line, then we could hit almost 2 M by May 1.



    Great opening!



    Dang, I'm not selling a single unit as I don't own Apple's shares. ;( You own Apple? Good for you...
  • Reply 3 of 77
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    apple will sell 2,25 million by monday night 9 pm



    apple will selll 11 million or more this yr



    school systems are placing 3ok orders right now
  • Reply 4 of 77
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post


    Looks like we are in line to sell 1 M in first three days also - perhaps even a little more. I do hope Apple announces the milestone.



    "we" ?
  • Reply 5 of 77
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Just left this comment with iPad. I'm telling you, websites draw faster than my MacBook. The only thing I need to get used to is not resting fingers on keyboard when typing.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post


    Just left this comment with iPad. I'm telling you, websites draw faster than my MacBook. The only thing I need to get used to is not resting fingers on keyboard when typing.



    Dito that. I am also commenting from an iPad right now and it is remarkably easy to type on.



    I speculated the day the current keyboards came out that apple only made them as a stepping stone to begin conditioning people for typing on a flat surface, like glass, and my friends called me crazy.



    You friends, who called me crazy, can now suck it.



  • Reply 7 of 77
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,915member
    So, have they officially announced that they are now taking "bulk orders?" It would be good news for sales if this were to happen immediately.

    Of course, I am quite curious as to who is seriously interested in bulk orders and how bulky they are!



    It appears we are off to a great start!
  • Reply 8 of 77
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Meanwhile the initial sales figures for the JooJoo tablet have been upgraded from 90 to 117 units sold (minus 28 returns). This sets FusionGarage on track to sell over 500 units in the first year!



    Developers are rushing to create new apps for the JooJoo platform, although one has been delayed while waiting for more RAM for his 486/66. The other developer, though, is looking for an early beta release sometime in Q3 '10.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The analyst also noted that there were longer than expected lines at five Apple stores surveyed, including the iconic 5th Avenue store in New York City, where 730 people were in line at 9 a.m. Compare that to just 350 people in line for the iPhone 3GS, and 540 for the iPhone 3G.



    What I find doubly interesting about the these line numbers is the iPad requires no activation so lines would move faster and pre-order allowed units to be shipped to your home which would also reduce the iPad line.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    dcnobledcnoble Posts: 1member
    why do these forums always fall for apple's supply constraint rumors? they're obviously put out by apple to spur lines and push forward demand. none of their major launches ever have supply constraints. you'd think by now people would catch on to the ruse..
  • Reply 11 of 77
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,744member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post


    Meanwhile the initial sales figures for the JooJoo tablet have been upgraded from 90 to 117 units sold (minus 28 returns). This sets FusionGarage on track to sell over 500 units in the first year!



    Developers are rushing to create new apps for the JooJoo platform, although one has been delayed while waiting for more RAM for his 486/66. The other developer, though, is looking for an early beta release sometime in Q3 '10.



    Okay, okay. That's like picking on the 'developmentally impaired'.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    tsad23tsad23 Posts: 46member
    http://www.fierceonlinevideo.com/sto...pad/2010-03-31



    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10471690-17.html



    A few links to a couple of schools that will give every member of the student body and faculty an ipad...
  • Reply 13 of 77
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Just saw my first iPad in the wild at a coffee shop across the street.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCNoble View Post


    why do these forums always fall for apple's supply constraint rumors? they're obviously put out by apple to spur lines and push forward demand. none of their major launches ever have supply constraints. you'd think by now people would catch on to the ruse..



    AFAIK Apple did not comment on supply issues, one way or another. It was all of the rumor sites and the "financial experts" that were doing all of the commenting. Apple put out nothing .... big difference from what you are claiming. Think first. \
  • Reply 15 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCNoble View Post


    why do these forums always fall for apple's supply constraint rumors? they're obviously put out by apple to spur lines and push forward demand. none of their major launches ever have supply constraints. you'd think by now people would catch on to the ruse..



    ReallY? Piper Jaffray has lied about contacted stores and measuring line densities because they are employed by Apple? Do you have anything to back up such a claim?
  • Reply 16 of 77
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post


    Meanwhile the initial sales figures for the JooJoo tablet have been upgraded from 90 to 117 units sold (minus 28 returns). This sets FusionGarage on track to sell over 500 units in the first year!



    Developers are rushing to create new apps for the JooJoo platform, although one has been delayed while waiting for more RAM for his 486/66. The other developer, though, is looking for an early beta release sometime in Q3 '10.



    Never heard of JooJoo, but they are going to have a tough time competing. $500 gets you a 2.4lb tablet with 4 GB of storage, and 5 hours of battery life.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCNoble View Post


    why do these forums always fall for apple's supply constraint rumors? they're obviously put out by apple to spur lines and push forward demand. none of their major launches ever have supply constraints. you'd think by now people would catch on to the ruse..



    Why do forums give any time to "Analysts" sales numbers. Its a crap-shoot until Apple actually divulges the numbers.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I still think the number is too good to be true.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post


    Why do forums give any time to "Analysts" sales numbers. Its a crap-shoot until Apple actually divulges the numbers.



    Sure, to large extent they are educated guesses -- but they are writing these evaluations for their clients, not us. It all feeds into their target price for the stock.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,172member
    Apple is (undeniably) doomed!?
Sign In or Register to comment.