Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8

1235712

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 238
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    isaidso: You're right, they're usually announced about a week prior rather than 3 days. I wonder what could have been happening in the past week that made them wait until now to announce this event...
  • Reply 82 of 238
    I love software and firmware updates! thanks Apple!
  • Reply 83 of 238
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,505member
    Apple has a very broad product line, services and activities:



    --Servers

    --FloorTop Computers

    --DeskTop Computers

    --LapTop Computers

    --Mini Computers

    --Tablet Computer(s)

    --Mobile Computers/Portable Game Players

    --Smart Phones

    --WiFi Routers

    --Backup Devices

    --SetTop Boxes (AppleTV)

    --iPods

    --Accessories



    --Server OS

    --Mac OS

    --Mobile OS

    --Speciality OS (TimeMachine, AppleTV, etc.)



    --Pro Mac Apps

    --iLife Mac Apps

    --iWork Mac Apps

    --Seed Mac Apps



    --Strategic Windows Apps



    --Seed Mobile Apps

    --iWork Mobile apps



    --Online Apple Store

    --iTunes Media (A/V) Store

    --iTunes App Store

    --iTunes eBook Store

    --iTunes Podcast Exchange



    --Physical Apple Retail Stores



    --Mobile Me Cloud



    --ASIC Semiconductor Design



    --Developer Products and Relations



    --Support Services

    --Repair Services

    --Warranty Services





    That's a whole lotta' stuff to research, develop, manufacture, integrate, maintain, upgrade, market and support by a very small number of employees.



    What appears to be happening is that Apple is trying to stagger release cycles and product refreshes to:



    --create/satisfy user demand

    --maintain product relevance

    --maintain product quality

    --maintain/increase profit margins

    --maintain growth/satisfy investers

    --meet deadlines

    --be the best at whatever they choose to do



    As a customer, user, developer and investor... I think they're doing one helluva' job!



    *
  • Reply 84 of 238
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 822member
    While Apple will preview iPhone OS 4.0 on Apr 8, I think a bigger deal will be that Apple will reveal the iPhone will be available on all 4! major US carriers from Summer 2010 onwards.



    They probably just came to a deal with the last carrier this weekend, which is why the invites are being sent just 3 days before the event.



    I don't think its much of a stretch that Apple is cheekily referring to 4 as in iPhone OS 4.0, but also as in 4 carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile).
  • Reply 85 of 238
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    The biggest let down of buying an iPod Touch last year was realizing that it won't sync with 3rd party apps any other way than over WiFi. Many businesses don't use WiFi for security reasons which means I can't sync half my apps (Things, Bento, etc.)
  • Reply 86 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Things I’d like to see...
    • Gaming API that allows for touch controls on screen that can be instantly linked to a HW D-pad accessory. Making it easy for developers to make this virtual to physical connection via the 30-pin connector without having to build for a specific HW vendor making the D-Pad. This would open up the gaming accessory market by standardizing the developers efforts while making it simple to do. It would also help bring more and better games to the platform and hardcore mobile gamers wouldn’t feel be afraid that they’d have to buy multiple HW D-pads for different game vendors.

    • Lockscreen that allows for Widgets, like weather, stocks, rich notifications, whatever.

    • Allow for default page when entering iPhone to show running widgets (or mini-apps) instead of the top 16 apps (only showing bottom row apps).

    • New Homepage Widget API so that devs can sell really cool Widgets on the App Store.

    • Multitasking for the 3GS and newer devices with Apple creating backgrounding API, devs utilizing it as needed and then users turning it on and enabling it for the backgroundable apps.

    • Detailed history of ALL notifications, making it searchable and accessible nearly everywhere you are in the system. Flicking the page up or down to see something similar to the way search works on iPhone OS grouping data from apps with their visible icon, but this would be for notifications you can order by app or by date or you can search.

    • Ability to search pages in Safari.

    • Folder os Smart Folder on Home Screen. Some potential Smart Folder categories are Recently Added apps, Apps used more than x-days ago, Games folder, etc.

    • I'd like the OS to send app usage data to iTunes so you can see which apps you haven't used or sued the most so you can clean out the "forgotten apps" that are still updated. This will same you and Apple from having to push as many updates.
  • Reply 87 of 238
    swingeswinge Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


    While Apple will preview iPhone OS 4.0 on Apr 8, I think a bigger deal will be that Apple will reveal the iPhone will be available on all 4! major US carriers from Summer 2010 onwards.



    They probably just came to a deal with the last carrier this weekend, which is why the invites are being sent just 3 days before the event.



    I don't think its much of a stretch that Apple is cheekily referring to 4 as in iPhone OS 4.0, but also as in 4 carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile).



    That's a pretty big assumption...what are you basing that on?
  • Reply 88 of 238
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,604member
    It's interesting how they announcing so close together.



    Perhaps Apple needs to announce somethings before Microsoft announces on Monday.



    Search and Maps partnership perhaps?



    Time will tell.
  • Reply 89 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Things I?d like to see...
    • Gaming API that allows for touch controls on screen that can be instantly linked to a HW D-pad accessory. Making it easy for developers to make this virtual to physical connection via the 30-pin connector without having to build for a specific HW vendor making the D-Pad. This would open up the gaming accessory market by standardizing the developers efforts while making it simple to do. It would also help bring more and better games to the platform and hardcore mobile gamers wouldn?t feel be afraid that they?d have to buy multiple HW D-pads for different game vendors.

    • Lockscreen that allows for Widgets, like weather, stocks, rich notifications, whatever.

    • Allow for default page when entering iPhone to show running widgets (or mini-apps) instead of the top 16 apps (only showing bottom row apps).

    • New Homepage Widget API so that devs can sell really cool Widgets on the App Store.

    • Multitasking for the 3GS and newer devices with Apple creating backgrounding API, devs utilizing it as needed and then users turning it on and enabling it for the backgroundable apps.

    • Detailed history of ALL notifications, making it searchable and accessible nearly everywhere you are in the system. Flicking the page up or down to see something similar to the way search works on iPhone OS grouping data from apps with their visible icon, but this would be for notifications you can order by app or by date or you can search.

    • Ability to search pages in Safari.

    • Folder os Smart Folder on Home Screen. Some potential Smart Folder categories are Recently Added apps, Apps used more than x-days ago, Games folder, etc.

    • I'd like the OS to send app usage data to iTunes so you can see which apps you haven't used or sued the most so you can clean out the "forgotten apps" that are still updated. This will same you and Apple from having to push as many updates.
  • Reply 90 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


    While Apple will preview iPhone OS 4.0 on Apr 8, I think a bigger deal will be that Apple will reveal the iPhone will be available on all 4! major US carriers from Summer 2010 onwards.



    They probably just came to a deal with the last carrier this weekend, which is why the invites are being sent just 3 days before the event.



    While I hope they have more carriers on board I don't think this invite is any sooner than the average number of business days they usually use.
  • Reply 91 of 238
    swingeswinge Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Things I?d like to see...
    • Gaming API that allows for touch controls on screen that can be instantly linked to a HW D-pad accessory. Making it easy for developers to make this virtual to physical connection via the 30-pin connector without having to build for a specific HW vendor making the D-Pad. This would open up the gaming accessory market by standardizing the developers efforts while making it simple to do. It would also help bring more and better games to the platform and hardcore mobile gamers wouldn?t feel be afraid that they?d have to buy multiple HW D-pads for different game vendors.

    • Lockscreen that allows for Widgets, like weather, stocks, rich notifications, whatever.

    • Allow for default page when entering iPhone to show running widgets (or mini-apps) instead of the top 16 apps (only showing bottom row apps).

    • New Homepage Widget API so that devs can sell really cool Widgets on the App Store.

    • Multitasking for the 3GS and newer devices with Apple creating backgrounding API, devs utilizing it as needed and then users turning it on and enabling it for the backgroundable apps.

    • Detailed history of ALL notifications, making it searchable and accessible nearly everywhere you are in the system. Flicking the page up or down to see something similar to the way search works on iPhone OS grouping data from apps with their visible icon, but this would be for notifications you can order by app or by date or you can search.

    • Ability to search pages in Safari.

    • Folder os Smart Folder on Home Screen. Some potential Smart Folder categories are Recently Added apps, Apps used more than x-days ago, Games folder, etc.

    • I'd like the OS to send app usage data to iTunes so you can see which apps you haven't used or sued the most so you can clean out the "forgotten apps" that are still updated. This will same you and Apple from having to push as many updates.
  • Reply 92 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    That Lock Screen idea looks familiar mate.



    Yes it does. Building a better mousetrap including utilizing the ideas of other mousetrap designers.
  • Reply 93 of 238
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post


    As a developer I am excited yet as a consumer I am pissed because I just bought an iPad Saturday and now will have to pay (if I read the Appleinsider Article correctly) to upgrade it to 4.0 (well obviously not the beta's since I am an AD).



    Edit: take that back "For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models."



    So they knew 4.0 would be that close to releasing the iPad, maybe that's why I'm having a few issues with mine, such as the Wifi dropping



    Are you serious? As a developer you should know better.
  • Reply 94 of 238
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post


    I find it odd (and even a little concerning) that they scheduled / announced this with so little advanced notice. Seems they usually announce things like this weeks in advance.



    Apple usually gives 5-8 days advance notice. So this is shorter than usual.



    Separately, this is an SDK preview, so it's focused on developers. One likely item is iAds, the supposed new mobile advertising system. If there is multitasking, we'll see that as well. Maybe we'll see printing.



    But one shouldn't expect that we will see UI changes that don't impact developers. And Apple might keep hidden, even from developers, things that would pre-announce the next iPhone's hardware features.



    As per past custom, I would expect the SDK to be immediately available for download.
  • Reply 95 of 238
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,498member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post


    I think it's safe to say the time for a UI refresh is now...but I wouldn't count on it. they just released the iPad with the same OS with almost nothing changed...same old tired 2007 look and feel.



    That "old tired 2007 look and feel" works and works well. Simply changing it for the sake of change is a recipe for failure. Apple put a huge amount of effort into designing a functional and usable OS. I personally love it as do the many friends that own one.



    Comments like that simply enforce the techie stereotype. You'll just end up ooohing and aaahing the eye candy for five minutes until you get bored and want the next "fix".



    I'll take simple and efficient anytime with controlled updates to make it even better. You want a visual mess with endless configurations and visual stimuli to soothe most folks with too much time on their hands?? Android may be better for you then.



    It's fine the way it is.
  • Reply 96 of 238
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Yes it does. Building a better mousetrap including utilizing the ideas of other mousetrap designers.



    Patent pending
  • Reply 97 of 238
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Can't wait! And it's this week, amazing. Summer release along with new iPhone HD.



    The double 4 in the invitation is obviously an indication of "multi tasking"
  • Reply 98 of 238
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


    While Apple will preview iPhone OS 4.0 on Apr 8, I think a bigger deal will be that Apple will reveal the iPhone will be available on all 4! major US carriers from Summer 2010 onwards.



    They probably just came to a deal with the last carrier this weekend, which is why the invites are being sent just 3 days before the event.



    I don't think its much of a stretch that Apple is cheekily referring to 4 as in iPhone OS 4.0, but also as in 4 carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile).



    i can understand it's hard to make a GSM/CDMA all in one phone.



    what is the technical challenge in making separate phones for AT&T and T-Mo? Even the Nexus One has different models that won't work on 3G frequencies of both GSM carriers
  • Reply 99 of 238
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post


    Don't know why they didn't release it on same date as iPad???



    so they can bilk an extra $10 out of the early adopters for the update...SUCKERS HAHA
  • Reply 100 of 238
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post


    That's a pretty big assumption...what are you basing that on?



    Pretty much a wild guess. However, the two flimsy bits of grounding is the #4, and the pretty short notice they have given media firms. Normally, Apple likes to give much greater notice, and reap the advertising benefits of the speculations leading upto it.



    Alternatively, the short time may be explained by the recent iPad launch event. The rumors reached an insane level which no product was ever going to meet, which Apple may have felt led to a lot of unmet expectations during the actual reveal hurting the initial reactions on the web. Hence, they figured 3 days isn't enough for ridiculously wild speculation.
Sign In or Register to comment.