Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8

167891012»

Comments

  • Reply 221 of 238
    tkwleetkwlee Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    Huh?



    Do you mean Google Search? Highly doubt it.



    I mean google map. Bing Map are not as good as Google Map, I think.
  • Reply 222 of 238
    I sincerely hope they include support Mobile Augmented Reality. Tracking object markers real-time through the cam. Not just data overlay w GPS/compass.
  • Reply 223 of 238
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    That's the rub, when do you stop supporting it and do you also include the 3G which has he same HW? It's a logistical issue requiring data we can't get; we can only speculate on what Apple thinks is best for them.



    I'm sure multitasking can't come to the first two iPhones. The 128MB RAM is barely enough to run the native backgroundable apps.



    The problem for Apple probably comes in that here in Apr 10 they still sell iPhone 3G.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Apple has a very broad product line, services and activities:

    As a customer, user, developer and investor... I think they're doing one helluva' job!



    True but not as broad as Siemens and certainly less products than Sony. Apple's issue is that Steve's time is a bottleneck.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Things I?d like to see...
    • Option to edit of content in iPod app.




    Nice list. I'd add to the iPod app and say i prefer the iPod touch Video and iPod apps. When I'm in another App a double tap of the home button on the iPod would always start music playing. On the iPhone if I watched a video last it quits the current app and loads a video.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


    They will need to install a different radio chip for TMobile, but not many other changes (TMobile uses the same GSM tech, but at a different frequency).)



    What am I missing about T-Mobile that's special in the USA? iPhone has a Quad Band GSM radio and UMTS for 3G which Wikipedia suggests is what T-Mobile USA uses.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post


    Software screen rotation lock toggle.

    Individual call deletion in the Phone app.

    "Quick Reply" to SMS without going to the app.

    And, please bust whatever heads necessary at AT&T to get tethering going.



    +1, the screen rotation is increasingly bothering me and I'd like to remove just incorrectly dialled numbers without all my recent calls.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    mobileme sync to do / notes



    I've given up on this. Apple is piss poor for not having done this in 2007.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    1) I made mention of folders and smart folders. The pages are just too tedious. This is especially true on the iPad. I've found myself using the search feature for the first time.

    2) Not keen on WiFi sync, and BT sync is a definite no go. It's slow enough as it is with syncing. I'm really hoping for USB3.0 and the next iPhone to handle those faster USB data rates.

    6) If the iPad with an A4 can load and play 720p video hopefully the next iPhone will too, if it gets the A4.

    Looking over the chip in the iPad 802.11n looks like a possibility this year.



    802.11n seems very logical this time. I don't think we'll see USB3.0. Until USB3.0 is common on PCs and at least present on the Mac there's no point on the iPhone. I'm speculating but I'd wager most iPhone users charge their iPhones overnight by their bedsides and so WiFi syncing would make more sense than the much slower and more range limited BT.



    I'd like to see better video output from the iPhone - perhaps DP and VGA connectors and hopefully the ability to view the whole screen not just the photo or video you're watching.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post


    So let me get this clear, when you buy the Ipad you get only ONE free OS upgrade? whether it's the OS 4 or the next one?



    Yes the 4.x updates will be free too.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ort View Post


    I want profiles and I want the phone to switch between them on a timer.



    M-F: 9am to 6pm = WORK PROFILE... No goofy ringtones. Every call just gets a beep.

    From MIDNIGHT to 7AM = SILENT PROFILE... The phone does not ring

    Every other time = default settings



    And give me a button to quickly toggle between them.



    As well as a button to quickly toggle between 2G and 3G



    I would like to be able to passcode protect certain apps. Anyone who picks up my phone can thumb thru my email? Blech. I know I can protect the whole phone with a passcode, but I find that kind of annoying also. Let me lock my mail.



    I'd like location based profiles rather than time based. When I'm in the office my games can disappear from the home screen and my ToDo app can be more obvious. (All apps could be loaded via Spotlight if needed outside the profile for the current location).



    I'd like to see shortcuts to Settings on the Home screens. 2G to 3G is my standard battery saving technique quickly followed by a few notches down on bridghtness, notifications off etc.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    Actually, To Dos are broken pretty much across the entire Apple line.

    They should fix this one at the same time.



    iCal To Dos can't be divided into projects, can't include subtasks, and can't even be printed by themselves on a sheet of paper. In the meantime, I know no-one besides Steve Jobs that emails themselves To Do items so they can be stored in their Mail.app Inbox.



    Oddly I do send myself one or two word emails to remind myself what to do once I arrive at work (or home!) - I'd rather have a usable ToDo app though!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Creative View Post


    I sincerely hope they include support Mobile Augmented Reality. Tracking object markers real-time through the cam. Not just data overlay w GPS/compass.



    I've mention this elsewhere on this site but I think a manometer to give height above sea level will allow Augmented Reality apps to work in buildings and on Underground systems where GPS can't work. The Manometer would also allow for local weather forecasting (no network) or from the Cloud of iPhone users extensive information about surface pressure.
  • Reply 224 of 238
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I expect 4.0 to deliver multi-tasking by two different means.



    I am expecting fast suspend and restore behavior will be implemented entirely in the OS.

    This feature alone will address most of the gripes people have about multi-tasking.

    It would allow users to leave any app - do something else - and return to the first app in exactly the same state. We know there's enough memory, even in the older phones to support at least 3 or 4 apps.



    I think this (app switching) feature is achievable with no changes to existing 3rd party software. So every app would immediately benefit.



    The other aspect of multi-tasking, the ability to run code in background is actually less valuable. For many applications it is undesirable for the app to continue to run in background.



    But for a handful of specific uses, some degree of background processing would be very valuable indeed.



    So I think Apple will introduce a new API to allow safe "good-citizen" background processing. But this will need developers to create new 4.0 apps to take advantage of it.



    C.
  • Reply 225 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post


    What am I missing about T-Mobile that's special in the USA? iPhone has a Quad Band GSM radio and UMTS for 3G which Wikipedia suggests is what T-Mobile USA uses.



    [...]



    I've mention this elsewhere on this site but I think a manometer to give height above sea level will allow Augmented Reality apps to work in buildings and on Underground systems where GPS can't work. The Manometer would also allow for local weather forecasting (no network) or from the Cloud of iPhone users extensive information about surface pressure.



    Lots of good suggestions.



    T-Mobile USA uses the 1700MHz band for their 3G, which is why even the unlocked iPad won't work on their network, except for GPRS and EDGE data.



    I like the idea of a manometer. Any idea how much this is, size, system overhead, or any mobile devices currently including it?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post


    I expect 4.0 to deliver multi-tasking by two different means.



    I am expecting fast suspend and restore behavior will be implemented entirely in the OS.

    This feature alone will address most of the gripes people have about multi-tasking.

    It would allow users to leave any app - do something else - and return to the first app in exactly the same state. We know there's enough memory, even in the older phones to support at least 3 or 4 apps.



    I think this (app switching) feature is achievable with no changes to existing 3rd party software. So every app would immediately benefit.



    The other aspect of multi-tasking, the ability to run code in background is actually less valuable. For many applications it is undesirable for the app to continue to run in background.



    But for a handful of specific uses, some degree of background processing would be very valuable indeed.



    So I think Apple will introduce a new API to allow safe "good-citizen" background processing. But this will need developers to create new 4.0 apps to take advantage of it.



    C.



    I'm on the same page. That seems like the only sound way to push this onto the average consumer. If/When this comes to pass I wonder how many mobile OSes will follow suit. They all seem to have adopted the Push Notification Service after they stopped calling it useless. \
  • Reply 226 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Another addepndum...
    • Allow developers to offer trial periods of apps. They already offer exploding media in the movie rentals so the technology is already there
  • Reply 227 of 238
    Production schedules. Once they committed to what the iPad's feature set would be on release, that's that, with the new OS being developed alongside it and the handheld devices, which take precedence at this point. All three products that use this OS will be in sync when the new handheld models are released, thus three fresh new hardware products with nearly matching new feature sets for 2010. That's why they do it like that.
  • Reply 228 of 238
    quadquad Posts: 13member
    I hope it has a counter under "usage" for text message and MMS usage... that would be helpful.
  • Reply 229 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quad View Post


    I hope it has a counter under "usage" for text message and MMS usage... that would be helpful.



    This is easy to check on your phone, at least with AT&T.
  • Reply 230 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    This is easy to check on your phone, at least with AT&T.



    It's called a phone bill right?
  • Reply 231 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    It's called a phone bill right?



    yes, but you can check before your cycle is over, too. Two options...



    1) User dial pad on AT&T connected phone:
    2) Install AT&T app, which is an easy way to pay your bill. There website is so slow that it's best to avoid it at all costs:
  • Reply 232 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    yes, but you can check before your cycle is over, too. Two options...



    1) User dial pad on AT&T connected phone:
    2) Install AT&T app, which is an easy way to pay your bill. There website is so slow that it's best to avoid it at all costs:



    As I am not an AT&T customer I can not say for sure but I know there has to be a way that is not necessarily needed to be hardwired to the OS.
  • Reply 233 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post


    Performance claims were made. I responded.



    But the fact is, I am not the subject of this thread. The hardware and the performance claims are the subject.



    Go away, Troll.



    Seems to me, however, that you WANT to be the theme here, as you project this image of entitlement from others to do research to refute anything they have to say.



    THAT is indicative of a troll, which, from an earlier post of yours you seem to take exception to.



    You offer no value to this thread other than contention in no constructive way. Perhaps if you would put the box of twinkies down, lose a little weight so that you could get off your arse and test these things yourself as well, you would:



    Be a happier person
    Live Longer
    Figure it all out




    I know, it's ok Joshy, we ALL understand that asking you to actually DO something constructive AND lose the prepubescent mindset at the same time, may well extend far past your intellectual and physical fortitude, and I promise we won't hold any of it against you.





    All that said, give me multitasking and direct printing and I will be as happy as a Joshy at DrakeCakes.







    AB1
  • Reply 234 of 238
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Less than 10 hours to go
  • Reply 235 of 238
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Lots of good suggestions.



    T-Mobile USA uses the 1700MHz band for their 3G, which is why even the unlocked iPad won't work on their network, except for GPRS and EDGE data.



    I like the idea of a manometer. Any idea how much this is, size, system overhead, or any mobile devices currently including it?



    I'm on the same page. That seems like the only sound way to push this onto the average consumer. If/When this comes to pass I wonder how many mobile OSes will follow suit. They all seem to have adopted the Push Notification Service after they stopped calling it useless. \



    When I heard manometer I thought it is something that measures how manly you are. \
  • Reply 236 of 238
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Too bad I can't stay up late tonight (where I am) to follow the liveblog. Got to go hiking with the gf the next morning. \

    ...You know, secretly I always wanted to be able to say gf on forums and tweets and what nots.
  • Reply 237 of 238
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post


    And another thing...

    iPad Socks!



    LOL... Honey, does this iPad make my butt look big?

    "Nah, OS 4.0 will fix that..."
  • Reply 238 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    When I heard manometer I thought it is something that measures how manly you are. \



    That's called a Solipsometer.



    Seriously though, I'd never heard of a manometer before. I"m familiar with altimeter and know they make digital altimeter chips. I think both measure air pressure so i don't know the difference is.
Sign In or Register to comment.