Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors

Comments

• Reply 321 of 366
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    From Apple's website:

"Hyper-Threading.

Built-in Hyper-Threading allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core, so Mac OS X recognises four virtual cores instead of just two. When you’re running multiple applications at once, the Core i5 and Core i7 processors spread tasks more evenly across a greater number of cores — so you can get more done, faster."

I'm not sure if that means that the i5 supports Hyper Threading – or has it just been cleverly worded to suggest that it does, when in fact it is just stating the overall benefits of multiple cores (two in the case of the i5?)

Can anybody shed any light on this?

\
  • Reply 322 of 366
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I'm not sure if that means that the i5 supports Hyper Threading ? or has it just been cleverly worded to suggest that it does, when in fact it is just stating the overall benefits of multiple core (two in the case of the i5?)

Can anybody shed any light on this?

\

? http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollecti...familyId=43483
  • Reply 323 of 366
    Quote:

Sweet ? thanks for that.

So both the i5 and i7 would appear to support Hyper Threading (2 cores, 4 threads).

So why the hell would anybody pay extra for the i7?
  • Reply 324 of 366
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Sweet ? thanks for that.

So both the i5 and i7 would appear to support Hyper Threading (2 cores, 4 threads).

So why the hell would anybody pay extra for the i7?

When you get the i7 you get the 512MB GPU. The i5 only comes with the 256MB GPU.
  • Reply 325 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

When you get the i7 you get the 512MB GPU. The i5 only comes with the 256MB GPU.

If you are comparing only the CPU to CPU, what advantage is there from Core-i5 to Core-i7?

edit: Here is the answer...
    Note: These aren't necessarily the CPUs Apple uses, just a mobile i5 and i7 with the same clock speed for comparison.
  • Reply 326 of 366
    meshopemeshope Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

This troll is still waiting for the 13" matte/anti-glare option to upgrade from his 12" powerbook.

Might be time to find another option for my mobile business needs.

I'm disappointed too. Once one uses a Mac it's difficult to change. But Apples persistent ignorance of the needs of mobile business users may leave no other choice.

Options are the Sony S-series and perhaps Acers 8471 series. I think the Sony has the better display though.
  • Reply 327 of 366
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

hmmm, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the display ports now have audio, but I can't find any reference to this on Apple's site.

OK, the Mini Display Ports on the new MacBook Pros do have audio passthrough, so let this be the end of the "wah, Apple's laptops don't have HDMI" whining!
  • Reply 328 of 366
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    It's times like this when I wish I still had a Dell.

My 2006 15" MBP Core Duo is still going strong after almost 4 years and 3 OS upgrades! Two weeks ago I accidentally spilled some water over the keyboard. Enough that when I turned it upside down water came trickling out. I felt a mixture of dread and delight. Dread because I thought I just killed my Mac and delight because I knew the new ones were coming out. Alas, it never skipped a beat.
  • Reply 329 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

...so let this be the end of the "wah, Apple's laptops don't have HDMI" whining!

Oh, If only it were that easy.
  • Reply 330 of 366
    ff11ff11 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I believe both come with 512MB in the 17" MBPs.
  • Reply 331 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you are comparing only the CPU to CPU, what advantage is there from Core-i5 to Core-i7?

edit: Here is the answer...
    Note: These aren't necessarily the CPUs Apple uses, just a mobile i5 and i7 with the same clock speed for comparison.

Thanks again for providing another interesting link.

I guess the 17" i5 looks as though it's the sweet-spot for me!
  • Reply 332 of 366
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike

This troll is still waiting for the 13" matte/anti-glare option to upgrade from his 12" powerbook.

Might be time to find another option for my mobile business needs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meshope View Post

I'm disappointed too. Once one uses a Mac it's difficult to change. But Apples persistent ignorance of the needs of mobile business users may leave no other choice.

Options are the Sony S-series and perhaps Acers 8471 series. I think the Sony has the better display though.

I agree that Apple should be offering an anti-glare option on all its machines that have LCD (iMacs included!).

FYI, I have installed/applied the Photodon anti-reflective film to several computers, notebooks and iMacs. It does do as it is designed, to significantly cut down on reflections. But in a few cases, I have noticed a kind of 'twinkly' effect that I am not sure is to my liking. Not sure if that is because of visual interaction between the film and the kind of LCD display or what. But the photodon aftermarket option, or other similar vendors, is about the only choice till Apple comes around.

I have submitted several Apple Feedbacks on this issue, requesting them to provide anti-reflective screen options/choices. I would encourage you to add your comment there as well, as I think they are more likely to do something if they hear it directly.
  • Reply 333 of 366
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by morani View Post

why apple not introduce ATI graphic card for a new macbook pro? really disappointed.

Me not know.

Fire bad!
  • Reply 334 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It's times like this when I wish I still had a Dell.

My 2006 15" MBP Core Duo is still going strong after almost 4 years and 3 OS upgrades! Two weeks ago I accidentally spilled some water over the keyboard. Enough that when I turned it upside down water came trickling out. I felt a mixture of dread and delight. Dread because I thought I just killed my Mac and delight because I knew the new ones were coming out. Alas, it never skipped a beat.

Dell laptops are garbage. Half the hardware isn't compatible with the other half and most of them end up frying.
  • Reply 335 of 366
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcw5002 View Post

Try to decide if the 1680x1050 High Resolution screen is worth the extra $100. I like the glossy...

Thoughts? Advice? I'll be getting a low-end 15" most likely.

Absolutely worth it! I would pay $500 more for the high-resolution option if it were to cost that much.
  • Reply 336 of 366
    I found a machine that has nearly all the things people are complaining about in this thread. Introducing the HP EliteBook 8740w. Now, it's pricer than the comparable MBP and weighs quite a bit more while offering less battery duration, but it includes USB3.0, eSATA, docking connector, EC/54, SmartCard Reader, everything else you care about in the MBP and enough specs to impress your friends when you tell them about it.
    The only letdown for the myopic appears to be the inclusion of DisplayPort thus requiring an adapter to make it HDMI. But don't fret, you get VGA and an RJ-11 jack, which will come in handy if your desk becomes the center of a Work Cubicle Time Machine that sends you back to 1995. Leave to HP's forward (and backward) thinking.
  • Reply 337 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I found a machine that has nearly all the things people are complaining about in this thread. Introducing the HP EliteBook 8740w. Now, it's pricer than the comparable MBP and weighs quite a bit more while offering less battery duration, but it includes USB3.0, eSATA, docking connector, EC/54, SmartCard Reader, everything else you care about in the MBP and enough specs to impress your friends when you tell them about it.
    The only letdown for the myopic appears to be the inclusion of DisplayPort thus requiring an adapter to make it HDMI. But don't fret, you get VGA and an RJ-11 jack, which will come in handy if your desk becomes the center of a Work Cubicle Time Machine that sends you back to 1995. Leave to HP's forward (and backward) thinking.

That is a very full-featured laptop, but has no one here ever heard the concept of "Less is more?" "all the things people are complaining about in this thread" are nice, but would they make a real difference in your use and enjoyment of an MBP? The answer is different for all of us, but for me the answer is no. I just ordered a 15" i7, anti-glare high res, 8 gigs, 7200 rpm /500 gig with Apple care. I'll have it next week.
  • Reply 338 of 366
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I ordered a new 13", but I would say that USB 3.0 ports would have been really nice. The rest I am indifferent towards.
  • Reply 339 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I ordered a new 13", but I would say that USB 3.0 ports would have been really nice. The rest I am indifferent towards.

Agreed. Apple might choose to skip USB 3 and try to leapfrog everyone on LightPeak kind of like they did with "n" Wifi. They released products using 802.11n before the final spec was approved.
  • Reply 340 of 366
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I ordered 15" MBP i5 HiRes Gloss. I am going to install a 500 gig 7200 rpm drive myself. Apple added 2-day shipping for me and gave me a MB power adapter since mine ironically fried just this Tues when the updates came out. That was quite a coincidence. I have read they updated the MagSafe plug so it doesn't fray. That's very good to hear- the current connector was so stupidly small it facilitated yanking w/ the cord and thus fraying. I guess they had enough returned power bricks it started to cost them, heh. I'm excited. The one thing, man this was expensive. I'm expecting nothing less than perfection.