Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors

Comments

• Reply 341 of 366
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

The one thing, man this was expensive.

Yeah there's no getting around that. Unfortunately no one ever says to me "Here's 3 grand, go buy yourself something pretty."
  • Reply 342 of 366
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Agreed. Apple might choose to skip USB 3 and try to leapfrog everyone on LightPeak kind of like they did with "n" Wifi. They released products using 802.11n before the final spec was approved.

They still need to support USB so why not add USB3.0. LightPeak still isn't ratified so we shouldn't expect anything until 2011 from any vendor at this point.

Then there is the issue of data. Sure, it supports USB data but it's still optical so you'll need an optical to cooper convertor with a power passthrough if they are going to support to iDevices and nearly all other types of data transfers.
  • Reply 343 of 366
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They still need to support USB so why not add USB3.0. LightPeak still isn't ratified so we shouldn't expect anything until 2011 from any vendor at this point.

Then there is the issue of data. Sure, it supports USB data but it's still optical so you'll need an optical to cooper convertor with a power passthrough if they are going to support to iDevices and nearly all other types of data transfers.

Looking around at newegg it looks like there are lots of USB 3 products, but they are mostly ways to add USB3 to your system or cables for them. Nothing that is actually going to be making full use of USB3 and certainly nothing that is already maxing out USB2. Are the external hard drives faster? Sure. I just don't think that Apple feels there are enough products on the market to make it worthwhile, especially since Intel doesn't include USB3 support in the Arrandale chips, it's all addons by other companies we're seeing so far. I think next year's MBPs will be much more likely to have USB3.

Sandy Bridge is due out early next year (hmm around refresh time), will be quad core, and 20% faster and smaller than Arrandale. Intel is working on an addon chip that combines USB3 and SATA 6GBps, but that supposedly might not be out until Q3 2011. http://forum.notebookreview.com/show....php?p=6142316
  • Reply 344 of 366
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Installed 7200 rpm 500 gig drive, MBP HiRes up and running-awesome.

However when I put headphones stereo jack into the audio in or out it's VERY tight, I have to push hard/pull hard. Anyone else notice this or do I have a unique issue? It's very tight, too, not just a little. However once in it works fine...thoughts?
  • Reply 345 of 366
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Installed 7200 rpm 500 gig drive, MBP HiRes up and running-awesome.

However when I put headphones stereo jack into the audio in or out it's VERY tight, I have to push hard/pull hard. Anyone else notice this or do I have a unique issue? It's very tight, too, not just a little. However once in it works fine...thoughts?

I guess the easiest thing to do is if you're near an Apple Store or reseller, go and check out the audio ports on their machines.
  • Reply 346 of 366
    vsighivsighi Posts: 22member
    How limited I will be if I buy the 13" MacBook Pro C2D @ 2.66 GHz compared with 15' I7 2.4 GHz but video is dedicated (NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB )...? Is been 2 weeks and can't decide?

I am not going to play Crysis, but I may play some games.
  • Reply 347 of 366
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    Quote:

If you are comparing only the CPU to CPU, what advantage is there from Core-i5 to Core-i7?

edit: Here is the answer...
    Note: These aren't necessarily the CPUs Apple uses, just a mobile i5 and i7 with the same clock speed for comparison.

Here are the actual CPUs that are used in the new Macbook Pros

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=47341,43544,43560

The main differences are CPU MHz (including Turbo mode) and Cache.
  • Reply 348 of 366
    I was in the Shibuya Apple store yesterday getting some quotes on education i5/i7's. I asked a few questions about the display and hooking up to an HDTV using hdmi. Without thinking I said:

'y'know, if I want to watch a blu-ray or something'

There was an embarrassed pause and we both let it slide. But the guy in the store knew full well that not being able to playback this increasingly standard high street format on a top of the range Pro was kind of ridiculous.
  • Reply 349 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I guess the easiest thing to do is if you're near an Apple Store or reseller, go and check out the audio ports on their machines.

Oddly enough the port is fine now. My main annoyance is this new one-button trackpad. I hate it. I have given it a chance. I don't think I'll grow to love it. I'll have to put tape over part of it. However I will say that the pinching and interial scrolling and other gestures are ubercool. Kinda an even tradeoff in my mind. Funny though, I feel like my fiance's 12" PBG4 feels like it has better build quality in a few ways. The cheapo keys in particular on the MBP are, well, cheap feeling. But the screen...The screen is so bright it's almost too bright!!!! iLoveIt!

Also they did NOT learn their lesson with the power plug. My last one fried. This one the connector is different but still very tiny, unlike the barrel-shaped connector from PowerBooks. It'll probably end up fraying and getting replaced by Apple in a few years. I wonder when they will realize this and redesign it.
  • Reply 350 of 366
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Oddly enough the port is fine now.

Glad to hear it.

Quote:

My main annoyance is this new one-button trackpad. I hate it. I have given it a chance. I don't think I'll grow to love it.

What exactly don't you like about it? As I've said a few times I think it's by far the best trackpad I've ever used. In terms of using it like an old trackpad with a "real" button, I found it came naturally to me. I can use the new trackpad in exactly the same way as an older one with my thumb resting near the bottom of the trackpad where a physical button would have been. The software is clever enough to realise in that situation that you're not attempting to perform a two-finger gesture and essentially "ignores" the thumb.

Quote:

Also they did NOT learn their lesson with the power plug. My last one fried. This one the connector is different but still very tiny, unlike the barrel-shaped connector from PowerBooks. It'll probably end up fraying and getting replaced by Apple in a few years. I wonder when they will realize this and redesign it.

I don't understand that either
  • Reply 351 of 366
    Quote:

Where does it say it's *not* compatible? FW800 spec is designed to be backwards compatible with FW400.

Well it doesn't say "not" as you say .. but it just isn't mentioned as it is on the 13" & 17" where they specifically point out it is backwards compatible. I didn't know whether all FW800 was backwards compatible or just those specifically designed to be. I thought maybe they were screwing with us on that model?
  • Reply 352 of 366
    Quote:

What on Earth are you talking about? My "Barrel" shaped plug from my TiBook fried in exactly the same place as my Magsafe connector for my MacBook. It fries where the cable joins the connector, because the cable goes straight out from the port, meaning, if your power source is on the right-hand side, the cable has unnecessary stress as it curves around to point in the opposite direction.

Apple DID fix this with the new plugs, by making the cable point straight back.
  • Reply 353 of 366
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

What on Earth are you talking about? My "Barrel" shaped plug from my TiBook fried in exactly the same place as my Magsafe connector for my MacBook. It fries where the cable joins the connector, because the cable goes straight out from the port, meaning, if your power source is on the right-hand side, the cable has unnecessary stress as it curves around to point in the opposite direction.

Apple DID fix this with the new plugs, by making the cable point straight back.

One thing I thought of is that by using this longer "barrel" they have created, under some circumstances, more of a lever action which should pop the connector off easier and with less stress to the cable. Previously the cable emerged in parallel with the connector and socket. Now it is at a right angle and has a longer strain relief. I bet the force needed to separate the connector is going to be less from almost all directions except pulling straight back along the length of the barrel.
  • Reply 354 of 366
    Man this thread isnt helping me buy a MBP lol. Yeah there are a ton of issues, and yeah i love Win7 and microsoft. But in buying a laptop, and i have the money, going apple MBP is the way. The durabiliy and long life is good enough for me. And i've learned gaming on a laptop is pointless, especially when you own a gaming pc you'll be using anyways (for gaming). So its all about a good processor, RAM, and monitor. Websurfing and a few programs like photoshop (picture/video/music editing and creation) is all thats really in use when you dont game. Just my 2 cents on this.

Maybe because im getting a new laptop now and i havent owned a apple before, this seems like a good time to jump in (core ix, switchable graphics).

I'd say the only thing im a bit worried about is 1) cause the current MBP setup has been around a while, its scary to think they might (next refresh) change everything up like they are with the new iphone. 2) the no button touch-pad...never not had a button before so thats worry-some.
  • Reply 355 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

Man this thread isnt helping me buy a MBP lol. Yeah there are a ton of issues, and yeah i love Win7 and microsoft. But in buying a laptop, and i have the money, going apple MBP is the way. The durabiliy and long life is good enough for me. And i've learned gaming on a laptop is pointless, especially when you own a gaming pc you'll be using anyways (for gaming). So its all about a good processor, RAM, and monitor. Websurfing and a few programs like photoshop (picture/video/music editing and creation) is all thats really in use when you dont game. Just my 2 cents on this.

Maybe because im getting a new laptop now and i havent owned a apple before, this seems like a good time to jump in (core ix, switchable graphics).

I'd say the only thing im a bit worried about is 1) cause the current MBP setup has been around a while, its scary to think they might (next refresh) change everything up like they are with the new iphone. 2) the no button touch-pad...never not had a button before so thats worry-some.

Nothing to worry about. The current MBP uni-body design has only been around for a year and a half. The last Aluminum PowerBook/MBP design was around for 6 years.

Of course, every new model adds things, but Macs have excellent resale value. I buy a new MacBook Pro every 1.5 to 2 years and get a bit over half of what I paid originally. Just take GOOD CARE of it! Keep it pretty: no dents, scratches or stickers!

Every one of my friends, family and colleagues have wondered WHY it took them so long to make the switch. Of course, you can still run Windows if you want. But that desire will dwindle the more time you spend in Mac OS X. SERIOUSLY.

Just do it! You will NOT regret it.
  • Reply 356 of 366
    Thanks jeff, thats good to hear. I was planning to dual boot win7 and OS-X but once i officially heard the family pack of Win7 is not made anymore, the idea of $200 for just windows 7 on the MBP is hard to swallow, especially with down the road my new gaming rig (PC) needing a OS.

Edit: By the way, if i was to dual boot, does everyone recommend just using Bootcamp which comes with MBP? I notice some use something else, whats wrong with bootcamp?

Some interesting info i found btw (on http://www.barefeats.com/ )

For gaming:

The MBP Core i7 beats the MBP Core i5 by only 0% to 6% -- mainly because they have the same GPU and we were running at native 1920x1200 resolution at high or ultra quality. If your main use of the MacBook Pro is for gaming, the MacBook Pro Core i7 may not be worth the extra $200 (or 9%) premium over the Core i5.

For programs like Photoshop compressing and etc... :

The MBP Core i7 beats the MBP Core i5 by 7% to 9%. Is the Core i7 worth the extra $200 (comparably equipped) or 9% more? Statistically it is a wash. I say scrounge up the extra $200 and go for the gusto.

We are crazy enough to do it, but sure seems like we are all buying into the i7 for $180 for just 0-9% performance increase over the i5.

(btw these numbers are on 17" i7 vs 17" i5)
  • Reply 357 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

Thanks jeff, thats good to hear. I was planning to dual boot win7 and OS-X but once i officially heard the family pack of Win7 is not made anymore, the idea of $200 for just windows 7 on the MBP is hard to swallow, especially with down the road my new gaming rig (PC) needing a OS.

Some interesting info i found btw (on http://www.barefeats.com/ )

The MBP Core i7 beats the MBP Core i5 by only 0% to 6% --

The MBP Core i7 beats the MBP Core i5 by 7% to 9%

We are crazy enough to do it, but sure seems like we are all buying into the i7 for $180 for just 0-9% performance increase over the i5.

(btw these numbers are on 17" i7 vs 17" i5)

If you have a Win7 install disk, or a copy, you're set. Fuck Microsoft.

Before resorting to dual-boot, try VirtualBox. it's free and you can run ANY Intel-based OS (OMFG, even Ubuntu ) in a window under Mac OS X.

http://www.virtualbox.org

Me? My work involves VectorWorks 2D and 3D, plus Photoshop, Acrobat and other graphics type apps, (I play Call of Duty 4, too. ) so I want all the horsepower I can get. A 5%+ speed boost for only $200? Sign me up! I also get 7200 rpm hard drives, Mac OS X runs WAY better with those. Yes, I've personally tested it. Oh yeah, get the 8GB of RAM. The faster HD and maxxed RAM are the best investments.

So, I'm getting a 15" i7, 500GB x 7200 rpm HD, 8GB RAM and the hi-res anti-glare monitor.

If you actually travel with a laptop, get the 15". I know NO ONE who actually carries their MBP who gets a 17". The 17" is to carry between your office and conference room, not to take to Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Germany, Austria, Brooklyn or Guatemala. I carry my MBP almost everywhere (even on my back on my mtn. bike in NYC traffic) and would never get a 17". BTW, I run a dual monitor setup with an external 1920 x 1200 monitor.

Again, just do it!
  • Reply 358 of 366
    Hm I hope I get used to the trackpad Mr. H! I'll keep giving it time. Tonton I suppose we will see about the new plug, too. I get what you are saying regarding the direction it goes back to the wall relative to the laptop. Still, I think a beefier port connector would facilitate unplugging it properly. I had no idea about this issue at all until two weeks ago. I will definitely be more careful now!!!

M3rc Nate...go for the Mac. OS X alone is worth it, give it a few weeks and let us know. I bet you'll be very satisfied. No viruses or maintenance. And despite a few things this MBP feels NICE. The front a tad sharp too, kinda wish they machined that a bit. But I like the solid hinge. I got a hardcore Pelican case to put it in and it feels like a tank. It's good to go Pro on Apple stuff it is just so solid. More like my ol' PB G4. I am coming from a cracking MB so this is a good upgrade in my opinion! And I actually love how once you take the bottom cover off you get to see everything. Amazing how much space the SuperDrive takes up, right folks!?
  • Reply 359 of 366
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Hm I hope I get used to the trackpad Mr. H!

I'm assuming this is the lack of a raised area for the button, which is purely psychological. You can try a piece of tape as a stand in to have some mental variation.

Quote:

The front a tad sharp too, kinda wish they machined that a bit.

Me too. i think they like how it looks so clean and tight when closed, but that isn't how we use them. Just a little bevel on the front edge is all I'm asking for.

Quote:

And I actually love how once you take the bottom cover off you get to see everything. Amazing how much space the SuperDrive takes up, right folks!?

I've decided to get an SSD as my boot drive and use Optibay insert so I can replace my ODD with a very large HDD as my secondary drive.
  • Reply 360 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

If you have a Win7 install disk, or a copy, you're set. Fuck Microsoft.

Before resorting to dual-boot, try VirtualBox. it's free and you can run ANY Intel-based OS (OMFG, even Ubuntu ) in a window under Mac OS X.

http://www.virtualbox.org

Me? My work involves VectorWorks 2D and 3D, plus Photoshop, Acrobat and other graphics type apps, (I play Call of Duty 4, too. ) so I want all the horsepower I can get. A 5%+ speed boost for only $200? Sign me up! I also get 7200 rpm hard drives, Mac OS X runs WAY better with those. Yes, I've personally tested it. Oh yeah, get the 8GB of RAM. The faster HD and maxxed RAM are the best investments.

So, I'm getting a 15" i7, 500GB x 7200 rpm HD, 8GB RAM and the hi-res anti-glare monitor.

If you actually travel with a laptop, get the 15". I know NO ONE who actually carries their MBP who gets a 17". The 17" is to carry between your office and conference room, not to take to Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Germany, Austria, Brooklyn or Guatemala. I carry my MBP almost everywhere (even on my back on my mtn. bike in NYC traffic) and would never get a 17". BTW, I run a dual monitor setup with an external 1920 x 1200 monitor.

Again, just do it!

What do you mean if i have a Win7 install disc im set? What about needing the key? (And are you saying i am set if i use any dual boot program, or just visual box?)

I will have to get that a try first (visual box), as for ubuntu (aka linux), i am interested in what it is and in experimenting with it, BUT i have tried to research it, and i just cant wrap my head around it. There are so many versions and its so scattered...its not as simple as Windows XP- then Vista - then Windows 7 from what i can tell.

I guess thats true for the 5-9% increase being useful if you use those programs. I do plan on (like i said i think) using photoshop and video/music editing programs, so its nice that the 180$ more price of i7 will be more than just being able to say i have i7..il actually be utilizing that 5-9% performance.

Yeah i am 100% sure on getting 7200rpm drive (500 gig). I am 99% sure on 8 gigs, only hesitation on the fact that in 2 years a upgrade from 4-to-8 (8 being 3rd party) will be MUCH cheaper. But i might just bite the bullet and get the 8 gigs at purchase.

Yeah i wont be traveling at all with my MBP. If i take it anywhere it would be to a friends house, so just a short car ride. Easy cheesy. I plan for 17" for sure. But will be solidifying that decision once my relative brings over his 17" for me to hold and check out.

Plan is for (education discount): MBP 17", Intel i7, 500 gig (7200rpm), hi res glossy, 4 or 8 gigs

EDIT: Btw im guessing its smart to install 64bit Windows 7 so it sees the full 8 gigs of ram (assuming i decide to get 8 gigs) right?