Canadian wireless carrier claims next-gen iPhone to arrive in June

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple will stick with its June launch for a new iPhone this year, with the next-generation handset scheduled to be released in just a few months, according to one Canadian wireless provider.



According to the Regina Leader-Post, SaskTel, a Saskatchewan-based wireless provider, will offer the next-generation iPhone starting July 1. That will be after the company's new handset launches in June, said Robert Watson, president and CEO of SaskTel.



"The good news is that (Apple) is coming out with a new version of the iPhone in the June time-frame and they're going to put us on that," Watson was quoted as saying. "So we're quite excited about that."



SaskTel currently has a CDMA 3G network, but the company is switching to the GSM standard used by Apple's iPhone. The carrier plans to have its high-speed HSPA network launched by July 1, at which point it plans to offer the next-generation iPhone.



Apple is expected to introduce the new iPhone at is annual Worldwide Developers Conference at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, Calif., as it has done in years past. Late last year, WWDC 2010 was rumored to be held starting June 28, but more recent rumors suggested a launch date of June 22 for the device allegedly dubbed "iPhone HD." Other rumors have said the new handset will feature a custom A4 processor, 960x640 double-resolution display, and a second front-facing camera for video chat.



In March, a report from The Wall Street Journal alleged that Apple is working on two new iPhones. In addition to the one set to be released in June, the newspaper reported that a CDMA capable iPhone is planned for September production, and could possibly run on the Verizon network in the U.S.



Last week, Apple introduced iPhone OS 4, which will bring multitasking support to the iPhone 3GS, as well as the unannounced next-generation iPhone. The mobile operating system upgrade is scheduled to arrive this summer, and in years past a new iPhone OS release has coincided with the introduction of a new iPhone model.



In addition to hints of a forward facing camera and iChat sounds found within iPhone OS 4, the pre-release software has also suggested that the next-generation iPhone will include a camera flash to improve picture quality in dark or dimly lit places. In January, AppleInsider first reported that Apple was shopping for LED camera flash components, presumably for the forthcoming iPhone update.



It was June 8 last year when Apple introduced the iPhone 3GS. The handset went on sale June 19.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 60
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,754member
    Guess SaskTel customers can expect their first shipments to arrive sometime in Dec now.



    Not like this wasn't expected.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Nothing new - same old rumors.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,576member
    Bring it on! I'll be one of the first in line to get one. My wife has been begging for my 3GS, so this will work out perfectly.



    That being said, how did AT&T handle 3G upgraders last year with the 3GS launch? Didn't they cave in and offer the discounted upgrade rate to those that had purchased the 3G a year earlier?
  • Reply 4 of 60
    t0mat0t0mat0 Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    "The good news is that (Apple) is coming out with a new version of the iPhone in the June time-frame





    Not "June" but "June time-frame" -i.e. around June, just like it's been previous. Absolutely no more info on the face of it.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,157member
    We already knew that. We also know that Apple will make the announcement on WWDC 2010 as usual. So we actually need the dates for WWDC 2010.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Bring it on! I'll be one of the first in line to get one. My wife has been begging for my 3GS, so this will work out perfectly.



    That being said, how did AT&T handle 3G upgraders last year with the 3GS launch? Didn't they cave in and offer the discounted upgrade rate to those that had purchased the 3G a year earlier?



    I bought my 3G in February of '09 and wasn't eligible for the 3GS in June/July. But if you were 1 year in, they gave you a discounted (but not full program) price.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    I bought my 3G in February of '09 and wasn't eligible for the 3GS in June/July. But if you were 1 year in, they gave you a discounted (but not full program) price.



    If I am not mistaken it was at least one year and minimum $90 monthly bill per line. Otherwise you needed to pay the early upgrade price.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    if the new iPhone is as thin as an iPod touch, I'll trade in my 3gs and take the $ hit. But only if it's thinner!
  • Reply 9 of 60
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    If I am not mistaken it was at least one year and minimum $90 monthly bill per line. Otherwise you needed to pay the early upgrade price.



    Didn't know about the minimum $90 monthly bill part. Since I wasn't eligible, I didn't pursue it.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    if the new iPhone is as thin as an iPod touch, I'll trade in my 3gs and take the $ hit. But only if it's thinner!



    I seriously doubt the iPhone will ever be as thin as an iPod Touch (at least not anytime soon anyway).
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    I seriously doubt the iPhone will ever be as thin as an iPod Touch (at least not anytime soon anyway).



    Agreed. Just hoping!
  • Reply 12 of 60
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,576member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    If I am not mistaken it was at least one year and minimum $90 monthly bill per line. Otherwise you needed to pay the early upgrade price.



    DAMNIT! I just have the basic $39.99 + data + my wife's dumbphone line sharing 700 minutes. Our bill comes out to about $100 total after State Employees 15% discount.



    Oh well, I don't mind paying an extra $100 to get it early
  • Reply 13 of 60
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    Agreed. Just hoping!



    Yes, one can always hope. I, for one, hope the new iPhone will be compatible with my car kit. When they switched to USB power with the iPhone 3G, my old car kit was rendered partially useless (from a charging standpoint).
  • Reply 14 of 60
    HELP - My wallet is bleeding money and it's apparently not going to stop.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    DAMNIT! I just have the basic $39.99 + data + my wife's dumbphone line sharing 700 minutes. Our bill comes out to about $100 total after State Employees 15% discount.



    Oh well, I don't mind paying an extra $100 to get it early



    Welcome to the club.



    Last year I had two 3G iPhones when the 3GS was released. I sold both on ebay and that covered the cost of buying two new 3GS at early upgrade price. The year before that I had the original iPhone (sold for $400) and did the same thing and got two 3G iPhones ($199 each). So the $499 ($599 - $100 credit) I've spent on the original iPhone in 2007 still covers my iPhone purchases
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    According to the Regina Leader-Post, SaskTel, a Saskatchewan-based wireless provider, will offer the next-generation iPhone starting July 1. That will be after the company's new handset launches in June, said Robert Watson, president and CEO of SaskTel.



    "The good news is that (Apple) is coming out with a new version of the iPhone in the June time-frame and they're going to put us on that," Watson was quoted as saying. "So we're quite excited about that."





    In a related news story.... "Apple announced today that SaskTel's ability to sell iPhones was reversed due to a breach of contract pertaining to the confidentiality clause both parties signed. This announcement was a bitter pill to swallow for Robert Watson, the president and CEO of SaskTel who announed his resignation today after investors realized his foot was just not big enough to fit in his mouth - thus costing SaskTel millions in revenue."



    Nice.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    if the new iPhone is as thin as an iPod touch, I'll trade in my 3gs and take the $ hit. But only if it's thinner!



    Be prepared to give up a lot of functionality and battery life. The 3G chipset eats up a lot of power. Plus, you can kiss that autofocus camera module goodbye for a couple of years.



    As an iPod touch owner, I'd rather have a thicker unit that has more functionality. But that's just me.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,576member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post


    Be prepared to give up a lot of functionality and battery life. The 3G chipset eats up a lot of power. Plus, you can kiss that autofocus camera module goodbye for a couple of years.



    As an iPod touch owner, I'd rather have a thicker unit that has more functionality. But that's just me.



    As an owner of both (I've had two generations of iPod touches in the past), I prefer the thicker shape of the iPhone. It's easier to grip.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    core2core2 Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post


    In a related news story.... "Apple announced today that SaskTel's ability to sell iPhones was reversed due to a breach of contract pertaining to the confidentiality clause both parties signed. This announcement was a bitter pill to swallow for Robert Watson, the president and CEO of SaskTel who announed his resignation today after investors realized his foot was just not big enough to fit in his mouth - thus costing SaskTel millions in revenue."



    Nice.



    Lol, too funny, even funnier because SaskTel is owned by their provincial government....but then , that explains it doesn't it....
  • Reply 20 of 60
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    Yes, one can always hope. I, for one, hope the new iPhone will be compatible with my car kit. When they switched to USB power with the iPhone 3G, my old car kit was rendered partially useless (from a charging standpoint).



    No, it will not.



    Your car kit (like mine) uses the Firewire circuitry for charging. Apple has deprecated Firewire functionality for the dock connector.



    You will need an adapter cable for your car kit. I use the iSimple ReVolt in my car for my 3rd generation iPod touch.
Sign In or Register to comment.