Steve Jobs on claims of international iPad deception: "Are you nuts?"

Comments

• Reply 61 of 143
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merlinw View Post

This might be another problem for Apple . Israel banning the IPad from entering the country. Strange story.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...1MkBQD9F3K6B01

Ah, thank goodness I am in Asia where a little bribery goes a long way.

Seriously though, you could get an iPad into where I am in South East Asia (country starts with an "M") but you're paying upwards of $800 USD for the $499 model ... Gawd knows what the customs "procedures" are anyways.

Generally if you brought it in for personal use from out of the country you're untouched but if you're bringing it in from eBay you could be taxed, if you're trying to ship 10 to 20 units in then good bloody luck...

iPad madness. Oh, the madness that Steve has wrought upon us mere mortals who do not have the fortitude to live with it. Sometimes it's like giving diamonds to monkeys, when it comes to Apple products and the common rabble.
  • Reply 62 of 143
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

I couldn't agree more. We children of the baby-boomers have been taught to expect and demand the world at our fingertips. Led to believe that everyone and everything in life should be fair and equal. Taught to expect life to be less of a roller coaster and more of a easy flowing river. We depend on big business and the government alike to cater to our needs that we claim to be 'rights' but are really just 'wants'.

And, I agree - it's sick.

I was promised a pony years ago. STILL NO PONY!
  • Reply 63 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

This looks like the iPad got caught in an [Israeli] intra-ministry fuss over who gets control.

Yeah, they're fighting over who gets to play with the iPads during "testing for wireless compliance"...
  • Reply 64 of 143
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

"Hear no evil, see no evil, do no evil."

Steve should just admit the deficits and be done with it, instead of letting his arrogance punch consumers in the face.

the "are you nuts" was a tad harsh but it's hard when someone is yelling liar liar in your face without knowing the details to keep cool.

Apple is likely in a hard spot at the moment cause folks in the US don't want to wait for their ipads so that the units can go overseas so they are yelling, pricing info is dependent on various import fee and tax issues that might not have been detailed out yet to Apple and they are having to wait so the ones waiting at least a price are yelling for it so they can yell about it being too high etc.

And then to have to eat a little crow and push back the date only to have folks yell at you and claim you never intended to launch when you original said etc.

Not a good day all around.

Apple is damned if they do no matter what they do.
  • Reply 65 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I was promised a pony years ago. STILL NO PONY!

You have to learn how to ride it first before they give it to you

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/pony

• Reply 66 of 143
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

But of course it must be hella frustrating to be right next to the USA and feel so ignored.

One gets used to it.
  • Reply 67 of 143
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Are you living under a rock? Steve Jobs pretty much gave developers the middle finger last week by denying developers from writing their programs originally in a non original language.

If anyone "got the finger" (and that's debatable), it would be those "developers" who can't actually code.
  • Reply 68 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

the "are you nuts" was a tad harsh but it's hard when someone is yelling liar liar in your face without knowing the details to keep cool.

Apple is likely in a hard spot at the moment cause folks in the US don't want to wait for their ipads so that the units can go overseas so they are yelling, pricing info is dependent on various import fee and tax issues that might not have been detailed out yet to Apple and they are having to wait so the ones waiting at least a price are yelling for it so they can yell about it being too high etc.

And then to have to eat a little crow and push back the date only to have folks yell at you and claim you never intended to launch when you original said etc.

Not a good day all around.

Apple is damned if they do no matter what they do.

Apple is in some doo doo (the fortunate kind, where you can't sell your products any faster)... They have to ramp to keep up the flow in the US for the WiFi iPads and they got to roll out 3G iPads alongside ATT. That along with everything else they're doing, is quite a bit to handle.

Call me an Apple apologist but at least Apple came up and said, F it, sorry, we can't handle international demands right now. Because they probably have to plan for 3G iPad rollouts in those countries as well... Because you know, if they only had WiFi iPads in other countries even as early as two weeks from now, people will all be like, Where's my 3G iPad, biatch...?!! You d-bags in the US are prancing around in your bloody 3G-enabled iPads!
  • Reply 69 of 143
    I don't really care about the delay frankly thats a business decision that Apple has to make. They don't OWE people iPads by a certain date so that debate is just ridiculous.

as for the iPad wifi issues Apples stance on this is shit. I have an iPad, I also use a TimeCapsule for my wifi AND I have wifi issues. So this isn't a 3rd party problem at all. Its a software problem (i hope) or a hardware problem that should have been fixed before the product ever went out the door.
  • Reply 70 of 143
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Totally. He will have to wait until Apple is ready to give his country the iPad.

Worse is that he and others think it is that simple. That Apple is just sitting around doling out ipads whenever they feel like it.

It's not. Apple is an American company so selling here is actually pretty easy compared to overseas because there's not all the extra import paperwork and fees on top of the FCC etc stuff

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

No way. Devs have to write apps for the iDevice and no other.

. . .

Instead, it is to make sure that the iDevice app is the highest possible quality. And that if it gets rejected by the app store, the dev will not be able to just turn around and release it somewhere else.

There's an implication here that is false. That implication is that Apple cares about versions for non iphone OS devices. They don't. If you want to make your app for every mobile OS out there, go for it. Apple has no right and claims no right to stop you.

What this is all about can be summed up in one word: Carbon. That gig for the desktop was all because the 3rd party companies like Adobe demanded it and it was a disaster. Carbon apps were bloated, buggy and took forever to get updated compared to native OS X coded apps. Apple was in a hard place at that point and needed those companies to stay on board because it was still the age of "there's almost no software for Macs and that's why they are crap. Go buy a PC".

But in the iphone OS app game, Apple has leverage. They don't need any one particular developer to be on board. The developers are the ones that lose if they pull out. So Apple is in a place to say No Carbon, everything will be native code top to bottom. and they did.
  • Reply 71 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If anyone "got the finger" (and that's debatable), it would be those "developers" who can't actually code.

So far from the truth I am amazed you can actually post it without laughing. There are plenty of great games in the iTunes app store developed using the 3rd party, now restricted Unity3D tool by very talented developers.
  • Reply 72 of 143
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alkrantz View Post

So far from the truth I am amazed you can actually post it without laughing. There are plenty of great games in the iTunes app store developed using the 3rd party, now restricted Unity3D tool by very talented developers.

Sounds to me like they might be very talented on the creative side, but maybe not on the coding side.
  • Reply 73 of 143
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Man, I sure hate it for those who are having wifi issues.

Mine screams!!!!

If mine screamed, I'd tell it to shut up. But then, I prefer quiet.
  • Reply 74 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

We have decided to shorten our campaign's name to "We Are Abandoning Apple" or "Waaa".

• Reply 75 of 143
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:

Are you living under a rock? Steve Jobs pretty much gave developers the middle finger last week by denying developers from writing their programs originally in a non original language.

Now Steve Jobs is giving the finger to this customer for merely questioning Apple's delays.

Apple needs to be a little more diplomatic.

Yeah the developers are crying all the way to the bank over this.
  • Reply 76 of 143
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Bloody awesome!! Thank-you!!

yeah that was priceless, hahahaha...
  • Reply 77 of 143
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:

There are plenty of great games in the iTunes app store developed using the 3rd party, now restricted Unity3D tool by very talented developers.

But that is not really the point. The games may be great, but cross-platform compilers produce substandard code.

Intermediate layers between the developer and the platform produces sub-standard apps. It is that simple.
  • Reply 78 of 143
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

We'll see soon enough whether Unity3D is banned or not:

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2010/04/14/...os-4-0-update/

My gut feeling is that this will be perceived by Apple as being too much like how a Flash application is designed. From what I can see, the talented developers that use Unity3D are more like talented artists that rely on a third-party rendering environment to build the game interaction. Wired together with scripting.

Being a creative doesn't necessarily make you a coder.
  • Reply 79 of 143
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Now Steve Jobs is giving the finger to this customer for merely questioning Apple's delays.

Apple needs to be a little more diplomatic.

You think this because you're under the same impression that Apple is required to serve all. They're not. And they aren't at risk at losing anyones business, just the opposite. Read the article, they can't even meet demand for their new product.
  • Reply 80 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

We have decided to shorten our campaign's name to "We Are Abandoning Apple" or "Waaa".

New rally next week.

Apple is doomed.

Please, no more posts like this. I have a painful cramp in my ribs from laughing so hard, and I can't find a tissue to wipe these tears from my eyes.