Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled

Comments

• Reply 281 of 394
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

They disabled their comments because there were too many people commenting, and I have seen them enable and disable the comments several times. They do say you can still comment on their facebook page. Why is everything a conspiracy?

What the...?? Of course they got 10 billion comments. "No Surprise"

So they turned off their comments. "No Surprise"
  • Reply 282 of 394
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

So you think some pranksters perfectly engineered and constructed a functioning iPhone clone whose internal engineering surpasses the current 3GS iPhone, and is such an elaborate hoax that even Mac OS X and iTunes believe it to be a new iPhone? And you believe this to be true simply because Gizmodo has not shown you an internal processor with an Apple logo on it?

Exactly... "There are none so blind as those who will not see"
  • Reply 283 of 394
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    It's likely either the final design or a very advanced prototype. The conspiracy theorists really kill me. At least most of the comments regarding the design have been positive. Apple has to like hat at least.

a poll I just saw.

Much Better 41% (5,797 votes)

A Little Better 27% (3,751 votes)

Same 7% (951 votes)

A Little Worse 14% (2,014 votes)

Much Worse 11% (1,518 votes) (herein lies the conspiracy theorists votes)

Total Votes: 14,031
  • Reply 284 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgman View Post

It's likely either the final design or a very advanced prototype. The conspiracy theorists really kill me. At least most of the comments regarding the design have been positive. Apple has to like hat at least.

Personally, I doubt if Apple cares one way or another... \
  • Reply 285 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Google need not hire industrial espionage agents just use the Apple Rumor sites for their needs. Sad Apple is so betrayed at every turn these days.

I'm just totally befuddled, how is it that they can keep the device & no one ever says a word about ownership? Finding it in a public place does not equal fair game, the responsible thing would have been to turn it into authorities. They probably gambled that Apple won't dare confirm the device by coming to get it but still, theft is theft.
  • Reply 286 of 394
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I'm just totally befuddled, how is it that they can keep the device & no one ever says a word about ownership? Finding it in a public place does not equal fair game, the responsible thing would have been to turn it into authorities. They probably gambled that Apple won't dare confirm the device by coming to get it but still, theft is theft.

Who cares. It's a frickin phone.
  • Reply 287 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

... This is hardly tantamount to 'theft' -
  • Reply 288 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Who cares. It's a frickin phone.

Wow. You're, like, missing the point in a major way, aren't you?
  • Reply 288 of 394
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Some person is running around Giz HQ with a remote, randomly turning off comments to various stories.
  • Reply 290 of 394
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

So you think some pranksters perfectly engineered and constructed a functioning iPhone clone whose internal engineering surpasses the current 3GS iPhone, and is such an elaborate hoax that even Mac OS X and iTunes believe it to be a new iPhone? And you believe this to be true simply because Gizmodo has not shown you an internal processor with an Apple logo on it?

"perfectly engineered and constructed a functioning iPhone clone whose internal engineering surpasses the current 3GS iPhone"

Wow. All I'm saying is I have not seen anything, ANYTHING that suggests what you have said right there to be the case.

"functioning iPhone" SHOW ME; till then...

Hey. I'm not saying I don't want this to be real (though I definitely don't want this to be the finished product (all that finger grunge building up in the screen / bezel edge)
  • Reply 291 of 394
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,445moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Very interesting.

What Ives signatures exist in other devices? What might you expect to see in a new-generation iPhone?

The only part that's really different from the normal iPhone is the edge, everything else is the same so the design is already Apple-like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I agree that this design is not up to apple's standards (speaking as a lay person) and so I am very skeptical that Apple would release something looking like this. The seams in the aluminum are unlikely, as is the lack of a curved-to-fit-your-hand back (IMO).

One thing that is obvious from Apple's most recent products is the idea of material reuse to cut costs and to reduce waste. The metal keyboards are the cut-outs from the iMac shells.

There will also be strips left over on top of that. If they took those strips and cut them precisely, they couldn't join them to make a seamless loop but they could take two strips and connect them like in the picture. It would probably be much harder/slower to machine out a loop and then the holes in that loop than to do the holes and strips in one go then just bend them.

If the back is glass/ceramic then obviously it's much better to be perfectly flat but begs the question why they would bother with it. Perhaps environmental reasons as plastic isn't kind to the environment and Apple are shipping over 30 million a year. If it helps with the signals too then it's good all round.
  • Reply 292 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I doubt a company like Apple would make this kind of security leak! Dropping a prototype in bar by accident?!

The design in not something refined... it has too sharp edges and would not feel right in the hand. SJ is picky about this kind of think. The sharp edges, tacky design makes it look like red herring dropped on purpose.

Why would Apple allow the unit to go into a bar even for testing? Testing while drunk?

The edges are sharp? You've held it? You've actually held it? Wow! How heavy is it you lucky so-and-so?
  • Reply 293 of 394
    ijoeijoe Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Really?

i stand corrected
  • Reply 294 of 394
    this is the new way. the cost of secrecy has been too high, coupled with the lessons learned during steve's acute health issues. the days of the super secret steve-intro are ending, kind of. patent filings. fcc clearances. it is all been much harder since entering communications. most important is protecting ip. also apple doesn't show prototypes. no vaporware. if you see it, it will ship. ask yourself, what was this doing out there? apple also had all weekend to kill the story, and didn't. they let it spread to gizmodo, and from there to everywhere else. but they could have killed it when it was a small story, with bad grainy pictures and no descriptions. certainly no autopsy.

we are all a part of the viral introduction of the new iphone.
  • Reply 295 of 394
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

"perfectly engineered and constructed a functioning iPhone clone whose internal engineering surpasses the current 3GS iPhone"

Wow. All I'm saying is I have not seen anything, ANYTHING that suggests what you have said right there to be the case.

"functioning iPhone" SHOW ME; till then...

Hey. I'm not saying I don't want this to be real (though I definitely don't want this to be the finished product (all that finger grunge building up in the screen / bezel edge)

Which completely implausible explanation do you want to go with? That Gizmodo has been tricked, or that they are tricking all of us? Because they are saying that the phone boots to the "connect to itunes" screen and is recognized by Mac OS X and iTunes as an iPhone. If either of your highly unlikely scenarios were true, the designing and building of a completely believable "fake" iPhone shell and internals would be required to pull of such a prank, and has been exchanging hands since February. Do you not understand that what is in those photos is physically real, and that it would have to be built and engineered before said photos could be taken?
  • Reply 296 of 394
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

I'm not sure how I could have concluded that you were referring site traffic being the reason Gizmodo closed commenting given your post. I do apologize for misreading your intentions though.

Quote:

Yeah, well Giz has disable their comments (big surprise)

Anyway. to reassert my original post on this topic: I have not, nor apparently has anybody else here, seen or been shown by Gizmodo, anything proving this thing is actual Apple property. And the thing is; that fact could be shown if it in fact exists.

On it goes.

• Reply 297 of 394
    tsad23tsad23 Posts: 46member
    http://gizmodo.com/5520160/gal-2//gallery/8

I really like the new design, very sleek. I always hated the volume rocker on my ipod touch, so the buttons are a welcome addition. The new phone also makes the 3gs design look bloated and outdated.

I also feel that Apple is working together with gizmodo to garner hype and that this is a controlled leak. Imho, that is why there isn't more detailed pics and info of the phone's components.
  • Reply 298 of 394
    The assumption that this could be 'just a fake' is fundamentally unfounded and vastly simplifies (or ignores) just what is involved in manufacturing the device in discussion.

I am just not sure people realize the extent of innovation, engineering and high end manufacturing processes that would be required to deliver this as simply a FAKE into the wild.

You must fully appreciate that the design specification, engineering and fabrication + assembly precision that was required JUST to realize those (working) volume buttons would limit the maker to the highest end fabricators in the industry. Just look at that hairline reveal between button and housing. Add to that the glass and ceramic materials engineering. PLUS the precision fit and finish. (I could go on, and on). This is simply not a 'garage' project.

Absolutely no outfit big or small would (could) have this much access to or put this much investment against engineering, materials and manufacturing technique to create.... a fake.

This is definitively apple engineering. And definitively designed to a near complete product. Its not a mock-up or a early model.

It may be a pre-release , BUT this object represents the (very nearly) END of the design/manufacturing process. Not the beginning or middle.

---

Lastly a thought on the seems intersecting the housing. ---> heat abatement.
  • Reply 299 of 394
    tsad23tsad23 Posts: 46member
    Well said...totally agree
  • Reply 300 of 394
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

http://gizmodo.com/5520160/gal-2//gallery/8

I really like the new design, very sleek. I always hated the volume rocker on my ipod touch, so the buttons are a welcome addition. The new phone also makes the 3gs design look bloated and outdated.

I also feel that Apple is working together with gizmodo to garner hype and that this is a controlled leak. Imho, that is why there isn't more detailed pics and info of the phone's components.

i think the likelyhood of 'apple working with gizmodo' is exactly zero.