Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled

Comments

• Reply 321 of 394
    zurielzuriel Posts: 53member
    remember when steve jobs and that google exec were spotted at that coffee shop, steve said "soon they will know everything"

....interesting...maybe this was intentional
  • Reply 322 of 394
    What do you mean it looks ugly? I love it!
  • Reply 323 of 394
    bdekokbdekok Posts: 10member
    Normally if it was a real apple, the pictures would have been pulled by Apple.

Which might mean it was a fake,

Unless it was an intended leak by Apple ????

What is the effect of an intended leak?

We're not hearing much about flash in the news?

We're not hearing much about developer issues and the new SDK in the news?

Are there any other Apple problems we're not hearing much about?

It's also really beating up the expectation that only a rumor mill could for a new product.

Still.... a pretty much over the top leak, not really typical of Apple, but it could also be a mistake that they're just letting run due to the effect it's getting.
  • Reply 324 of 394
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

The separation of the volume buttons makes it easier for them to be used for additional functions. For example, the screen could be locked in its orientation by pressing both volume buttons at the same time. That is possible with the iPhone 3GS, but it's easier with more discrete buttons.

Or using them as photo / video buttons while in the camera app.
  • Reply 325 of 394
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,965member
    If it is real, the look is not unlike the round corner flat slab style of the AppleTV and AirPort devices. On the other hand, those devices were designed years ago, so it's hard to imagine that a new iPhone would be part of that line in look.
  • Reply 326 of 394
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

What 4g? The iPhone doesn't have 4g. It has 3g.

Are you talking about the 4th gen?

Obviously...
  • Reply 327 of 394
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Obviously...

I wasn't sure if he was referring to the 4g phones from sprint which are actually 4g.
  • Reply 328 of 394
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    It All (allegedly) Started When... http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple...yline=true&s=i
  • Reply 329 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

What 4g? The iPhone doesn't have 4g. It has 3g.

Are you talking about the 4th gen?

It's 3G (not '3g').

And you know what I am talking about. Your passive-aggressive nonsense. ;-)
  • Reply 330 of 394
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    It's just a small iPad. Whats the big deal?

JK. Looking forward to this. Wonder what Apple will say tomorrow?
  • Reply 331 of 394
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

It's just a small iPad. Whats the big deal?

• Reply 332 of 394
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I agree with that, but I still struggle with the fact that we've never known Apple to allow this to happen. Apple employees...unless they are high up I assume...don't get to walk around with unreleased products. It simply doesn't happen. Someone mentioned that perhaps it was an AT&T employee that had it. Riiiight. They REALLY don't get hardware two months in advance.

After reading the Giz article and watching videos, I agree it's definitely not "just a fake." It's either real or the most amazing fake ever created.

Of course AT&T gets them months in advance. At the very least they get prototype models to test with. Unless you have a unit that matches the specs pretty well, any field testing you do is sort of useless.

AT&T said they field tested the original iphone for months prior to launch. I guess Apple could have used a modified enclosure, but since enclosures can have such a large impact on the transmission quality, they wouldn't have modified it too much.

Apple may have NSA level security, but unlike their other products they are not an island when selling the iPhone. Their carrier partners aren't just going to take their word that it has been tested in the field....are they?
  • Reply 333 of 394
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yes. At this point I am leaning more toward your option number 3. (Giz got punked) but then they ran with it, and they will back pedal later.

As I have stated elsewhere I Could Be Wrong

We'll see; probably tomorrow, around 5:30 pm EST

If Giz got punked, they did more than run with it. They then falsely reported everything else about the device they have. If the didn't make it all up to perpetuate the hoax, then the lack of extra photos implies nothing.

So, if Giz was tricked, why would they possibly withhold the additional photos you want? Is it

A) they want to assist the hoax. They are lying when they say there components that are labeled by Apple

B) They simply didn't post them and their omission tells us nothing.

Really, those are the only two options, if Giz was 'punked'. So, which is it? Either Giz is intentionally bullshitting us or they are not.

Also, if Giz did get fooled, then they might not have lied about everything else. The device could have so impossibly elaborate that it fooled them. Again, if this is the case, the lack of extra photos implies nothing.
  • Reply 334 of 394
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdekok View Post

Normally if it was a real apple, the pictures would have been pulled by Apple.

Which might mean it was a fake,

Unless it was an intended leak by Apple ????

What is the effect of an intended leak?

We're not hearing much about flash in the news?

We're not hearing much about developer issues and the new SDK in the news?

Are there any other Apple problems we're not hearing much about?

It's also really beating up the expectation that only a rumor mill could for a new product.

Still.... a pretty much over the top leak, not really typical of Apple, but it could also be a mistake that they're just letting run due to the effect it's getting.

When the photo is on the front page of FoxNews.com, it is too late to pull any photo. Apple has a nightmare on their hands. It's kinda like Levar Burton tweeting his phone number twice in the same day. It happens and I believe this to be real.

You know The Jobs is pissed because his iPhone unveiling just got pooped on.
  • Reply 335 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Fake - but a good one.

Good marketing by Giz thou.

Getting Jobs to call Gizmodo for it's return was also fake says the NYT too I guess?

Man you're deluded. Wow!
  • Reply 336 of 394
    Wow... sure starting to sound legit!

Apple could still come out of this with a bunch of free press (like they've any shortage of that) and looking like a good guy!

If the drunk engineer gets to keep his job with little more than a rap on the knuckles from Steve's ruler, then Apple looks like a really merciful "guy". (By the time it becomes evident that he'll never get another raise or promotion from Apple in this lifetime, people will have forgotten all about this )
  • Reply 337 of 394
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Earlier, someone mentioned that if the next iPhone will look like this, imagine how the next iPad will look. This makes me think that this is not what the new iPhone will look like. I think the new iPhone will look more like the new iPad. The aluminum trim around the iPad is beveled on the edges and I would think the new iphone will resemble this design. I can't imagine that the new iPhone will look so different from the just release iPad. I also think that the 2 screws on the bottom just don't look right. The screws in my 3g iPhone are more counter-sunk to prevent them from coming loose. If the new phone would require screws, it would make more sense to have them deeper inside the bezel to keep them from coming loose. Better yet, somehow design the phone to not have any screws at all.
  • Reply 338 of 394
    That is one of the ugliest GD phones I have seen in awhile. And to think I just gave a speech tonight that I liked my 3G because it was so sleek. I was even holding out on buying an iPad to see what the 4G was like in case I'd rather have the phone. iPad it is, so disappointed.
  • Reply 339 of 394
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"In fact, you can argue that the current iPhone 3GS—with its shiny chrome rim and excessively curved back—is out of place compared to the hard edges and Dieter-Ramish utilitarianism of the iMac and the iPad," Chen wrote."

This is where the credibility of this leak - if not the design-savvy of Gizmodo - falls apart. It's as if they're attempting to explain-away the very thing that points to the fakeness of the device. First of all, Apple's line of handhelds (iPods and iPhones) have never fully mimicked their computers' form.

Secondly, you can't argue the iPhone 3GS is out of place if both the iMac and the iPad currently have curved backs (which can be aluminium since they don't require a cellular signal); while this prototype is completely flat. Thirdly, Apple products have rim/enclosures that are seamless and flush with the surface of their displays; unlike this prototype's display which is raised above the aluminium rim and its yet-to-be explained notches. Fourthly, it may make sense for the volume buttons to be split if Apple decided to make them touch-sensitive like the old iPod buttons. But other than it being ergonomically clumsy, it also wouldn't makes sense for the buttons to be metal. And the iPad similarity falls apart there as well, since the iPad uses a rocker button for volume like the current iPhone 3GS.

"In fact" I would say that sitting next to an iMac or iPad, this prototype looks far less appropriate than an iPhone 3GS. It would be far more believable to claim this is one of multiple prototypes being considered by Apple. However, as it stands, it seems more like an attempt by some geeks to pressure Apple into slipping-up their usual secrecy or pursuing an un-Apple direction of design.
  • Reply 340 of 394
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Bingo!

I think it is a controlled leak... to create interest in bars in Redwood City

I work next door in Foster City. I for one will be heading to that bar to check it out. Mission accomplished!