Prototype iPhone design was likely near-final - report

Comments

• Reply 101 of 181
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What are the chances this is iGenius or MacTripper under yet another name?

Kinda sounds like Josh.B. or Techstud to me.
  • Reply 102 of 181
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Wow. This in from 9to5mac.com

A reader sends this email from Steve Jobs in:

Hey, Steve.

Been reading about the fiasco that happened over the weekend. I don't know if what Gizmodo has*is*a real next gen iPhone but I certainly don't like what they did. I really hope that you give them what they deserve for this.

Also; please don't be too hard on the guy that lost the phone.

Anyhoo; Here's hoping that the WWDC will still be exciting - even if the main event was kinda spoiled. I'm sure you'll still surprise us, though. It's what you do ~_^

Jobs' reply:

"Don't worry about the WWDC. You ain't seen nothing yet."
  • Reply 103 of 181
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I agree.
  • Reply 104 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You know what, we'll consider ourselves notified. Now go buy the Incredible (or whatever it is that you're interested in) and stop going on about how much better Android is. We can decide for ourselves which phone is/will be better for us. Meanwhile, we'll see where this all is this time next year.

He'll get banned, yet again, and come back with a new handle.
  • Reply 105 of 181
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

It's getting hard to keep track, with all the aliases that have been used, but, yeah, tekstud, igenius, josh b., take your pick...
  • Reply 106 of 181
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

Yeah it does. Which is funny because last year he said he had just bought an iPhone and was really loving it and had turned totally pro Mac. Guess you can't believe anything that guy says.
  • Reply 107 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Wow. This in from 9to5mac.com

A reader sends this email from Steve Jobs in:

Hey, Steve.

Been reading about the fiasco that happened over the weekend. I don't know if what Gizmodo has*is*a real next gen iPhone but I certainly don't like what they did. I really hope that you give them what they deserve for this.

Also; please don't be too hard on the guy that lost the phone.

Anyhoo; Here's hoping that the WWDC will still be exciting - even if the main event was kinda spoiled. I'm sure you'll still surprise us, though. It's what you do ~_^

Jobs' reply:

"Don't worry about the WWDC. You ain't seen nothing yet."

Oh yeah, there's gonna be more! Just you wait!!!
  • Reply 108 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I wonder if Apple is no longer nimble enough. In this day and age, one cellphone update per year is a strategy that will inevitably lead to increasing lag time.

And what's wrong with that? Do you run out and buy a new phone every time a new one is introduced/launched?
  • Reply 109 of 181
    Quote:

Decade after decade, Ferrari comes out with best-in-class or exclusive technology. They never play catch-up.

For Apple to be a cellphone Ferrari, they need to step up their R&D.

Well not exactly true. I was just reading my latest issue of car pr0n...I mean Automobile Magazine and low and behold Ferrari is now working on a gas electric hybrid. How long has Toyota and Honda had hybrids available? I believe in the U.S. the first one available was the Honda Insight in 1999.

Granted it wil be a V12 hybrid but not exactly ground breaking stuff from the prancing horse.

In regards to hardware, what exactly do expect Apple to do? The first generation phone laid the foundation for the basic form factor and ease of use. The 3g added faster wireless and the 3gs made advances in speed due to new hardware. Excluding Apple making the next model from "unobtanium" and adding a pocket phaser what gee whiz feature is it missing? Front facing camera? Check. Bigger battery? Check. Updated styling? Check.

On the software front they have done a very good job of adding features and being backwards compatible. There is only so much that can be done within the phone factor before it grows into a different category. http://www.pcworld.com/article/19475...ns_leaked.html

My opinion is that for the next few generations of phone it will be a tick tock cycle. One release sees new hardware then the next refines the available features and adds new ones as well. Actually, that would be similar to the way Ferraris models have evolved.
  • Reply 110 of 181
    Quote:

I am aware that Android is far from perfect.

I wonder if Apple is no longer nimble enough. In this day and age, one cellphone update per year is a strategy that will inevitably lead to increasing lag time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone had another record quarter. It is a very viable product. It may be yesterday's news a year from now, but there will still be plenty of buyers; I don't see the volume dropping.

Cutting edge stuff rarely outsells "good enough" stuff from a trusted source. That is why Apple does not target geeks.

I know this is most likely iGenius but I'll answer.

So Android is far from perfect but you're still using it as your Golden Child. I wonder how the "geeks" really feel about Android.

Nimble enough... get real... nimble isn't everything in business. Apple's latest quarter is my best argument. One update per year is better than 6 or 7 which causes fragmentation. If you build an app for the iPhone you know it will work. Can you say the same for Android.

You don't see volume dropping on "yesterday's news". Now you're talking from both sides of your mouth.

Geeks account for less than 1% of the market. Why bother targeting them if you want to be a successful company. Besides... Apple is no slouch to begin with.

I liked you better as iGenius. You actually seemed a bit smarter.
  • Reply 111 of 181
    Quote:

Teckstud wasn't very good at using complete sentences, capitalization, punctuation, or really completing a thought. His MO was posting trollish one liners in succession. I think this is one of the more intelligent trolls, thought that is pointing out the thinnest kid at fat camp.
  • Reply 112 of 181
    When I first saw the photos it reminded me of this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...&s=electronics

I bought one when they first came out, Toshiba built it then quickly forgot it. Sure it doesn't have a full touch screen but the body looks similar.
  • Reply 113 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

The only true question that remains at this point is... will it come in white? ...

I guess you were making a joke, but I think this is a serious question that the answer to isn't obvious. Fully one third of iPhone buyers prefer the white iPhone over the black one. What happens to them if this is the only choice?

It kind of implies we haven't seen the whole deal yet. Apparently Steve has said that "we haven't seen nothing yet" in answer to an email about how disappointing the leak is. Maybe there are other models we haven't seen?

Personally, I would really, really, like an iPhone with clear glass on both sides.
  • Reply 114 of 181
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

And what's wrong with that? Do you run out and buy a new phone every time a new one is introduced/launched?

Yeah, at that rate, he'll have enough trouble keeping up with all Android phones. A few months ago, the Nexus One was supposed to be the shiznit, now it's the Incredible. In a few months, there will be another new one and so forth and so on.
  • Reply 115 of 181
    bobrkbobrk Posts: 36member
    Quote:

I, for one, am perfectly happy with the design of the prototype and can't wait for Apple to release it this June/July.

I concur. I think this will replace my day 1 iPhone.
  • Reply 116 of 181
    Quote:

Yeah, at that rate, he'll have enough trouble keeping up with all Android phones. A few months ago, the Nexus One was supposed to be the shiznit, now it's the Incredible. In a few months, there will be another new one and so forth and so on.

With so many Android phones on the market at lower prices than the iPhone and with so many super awesome features that Apple can't compete with you'd expect Android to be selling many millions more than Apple per quarter. Why hasn't that happened?
  • Reply 117 of 181
    Quote:

With so many Android phones on the market at lower prices than the iPhone and with so many super awesome features that Apple can't compete with you'd expect Android to be selling many millions more than Apple per quarter. Why hasn't that happened?

I think we ALL know the answer to that... except for WilliamG.
  • Reply 118 of 181
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Teckstud wasn't very good at using complete sentences, capitalization, punctuation, or really completing a thought. His MO was posting trollish one liners in succession. I think this is one of the more intelligent trolls, thought that is pointing out the thinnest kid at fat camp.

This is my take on it as well. I was tempted to read the occasional iGenius post because I could see some intelligent thought behind it before diverging to the trollish conclusion. WilliamG is much the same. I never felt that way with Tekstuds posts.

It's sad that trolls are so rampant that we can discuss them like this. As an aside, my ignore list is 27 members long, although there were a couple single post posters that went on there that didn't need to since they wont be back. Hopefully there isn't a limit on how many you can add.
  • Reply 119 of 181
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'll reserve final judgment until I hold the final version in my hand at the Apple store. At this moment, the leaked iPhone doesn't look that good, but is growing on me.

I remember when the leaked images of the soon to be released MBP unibody case were leaked. I thought: "that looks boxy and dull." A bit later, I saw a MBP in an Apple Store and I was in love...

Just gotta wait to see it in person.
  • Reply 120 of 181
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I guess you were making a joke, but I think this is a serious question that the answer to isn't obvious. Fully one third of iPhone buyers prefer the white iPhone over the black one. What happens to them if this is the only choice?

It kind of implies we haven't seen the whole deal yet. Apparently Steve has said that "we haven't seen nothing yet" in answer to an email about how disappointing the leak is. Maybe there are other models we haven't seen?

Personally, I would really, really, like an iPhone with clear glass on both sides.

Clear glass would be nice as a limited edition model or something. We've only seen the hardware. I think Jobs was referring to some new software features of the phone, some high profile apps, multiple carriers, the actual phone specs, and ridiculously long battery life. Jobs said you could play music on the iPad for days with the screen off if you wanted because the chip hardly sucks any power.

I don't think they'll be adding a second iPhone hardware model, but who knows.