Prototype iPhone design was likely near-final - report

Comments

• Reply 121 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

1) The design is uninspired (not that important, but it shows Apple have become complacent.)

2) Why no Xenon flash? What is the point of a top notch image browsing feature (one of the iPhone's greatest assets) and yet one still needs to use a 3rd party camera, import into iPhoto and then sync with the iPhone to get it on the bl**dy device? Why not include a decent camera, like Nokia and Sony Ericsson have done?

3) Why no mechanical shutter release for the camera?

4) MOST IMPORTANTLY, and why I am now going to sell my iPhone 3GS 32G and buy an Android phone: Whilst the display is high res (great!), it is no larger, in fact, slightly smaller! To read eBooks, web pages etc requires a screen of at least 4" diagonal.

Apple have become complacent and are exploiting the loyalty of their customers and of course, forcing people to own both an iPhone and an iPad. No thanks, I want one nice pocketable device, and an iPad can be reserved for touch DJ apps, home control and other dedicated tasks. (And yes, iPad will be ideal as a netbook replacement too.)

No one is forcing you to own an iPhone and iPad
  • Reply 122 of 181
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

It is interesting that the iPhone was the most innovative phone ever made - long ago - but it is now just adding "me-too" features.

And this time next year, Andorid will have updated and added lots of cool stuff, and Apple will be further behind.

I predict that by this time next year, the screen on the i4 will look tiny. And that there will be lots of people who want to do all the cool stuff available only on Android. And that the iPhone will be seen as yesterday's news.

The troll comes back again. Can't be Techstud due to the better writing abilities. Perhaps iGenius obtained a new sponsor and can now waste his life trolling in AI forums again?

Mods, time to step up to the plate and use your troll-swatter on this guy. Yet another thread poisoned.
  • Reply 123 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcode View Post

As an accomplished designer, I disagree with this statement whole-heartedly... While there are similarities in the new design to the iPad and current iMac lineup, there are major cosmetic differences in the new iPhone design that make it look unfinished and below the Apple standard.

Admittedly, the outer shell will likely change somewhat between now and release - especially now that it's been leaked, but frankly, unless there are some significant upgrades in hardware, the "new" form factor is enough to deter a great many people.

Many people will upgrade due to being out of contract with their 3G and not being able to multi-task and use other functions of 4.0. Out of the 25 or so close friends I know with iPhones only 2 of us upgraded to 3GS last year. All of them are upgrading to HD this year and the 2 of us that upgraded last year are upgrading this year. It is what the phone does not what it looks like besides most of us have cases any way. A nice case has saved mine twice for sure.
  • Reply 124 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I don't think you should be giving Gizmodo any more free publicity.

I agree!!

I really do not understand why Gizmodo is not facing legal issues, they bought stolen goods...just because someone found the phone did not make them the owner.
  • Reply 125 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Wow. This in from 9to5mac.com

A reader sends this email from Steve Jobs in:

Hey, Steve.

Been reading about the fiasco that happened over the weekend. I don't know if what Gizmodo has*is*a real next gen iPhone but I certainly don't like what they did. I really hope that you give them what they deserve for this.

Also; please don't be too hard on the guy that lost the phone.

Anyhoo; Here's hoping that the WWDC will still be exciting - even if the main event was kinda spoiled. I'm sure you'll still surprise us, though. It's what you do ~_^

Jobs' reply:

"Don't worry about the WWDC. You ain't seen nothing yet."

I think that it's great that Steve responds to emails but notice that he made no comments about that poor engineer? I suspect that after receiving this email he called down to the iDungeon and had the albino monk go to level 10.
  • Reply 126 of 181
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post

It is what the phone does not what it looks like besides most of us have cases any way.

?In most people's vocabularies, design means veneer. It's interior decorating. It's the fabric of the curtains of the sofa. But to me, nothing could be further from the meaning of design. Design is the fundamental soul of a human-made creation that ends up expressing itself in successive outer layers of the product or service.?
  • Reply 127 of 181
    looks much nicer than my 3G! I'll take it.
  • Reply 128 of 181
    I was hoping this thing was a decoy b/c it is ugly. It looks nothing like an Apple product at all. I had the original iPhone and now the 3GS. This design is a huge step back from BOTH of those. It's blander than bland. Yuck

(And before you say I'm bashing Apple, I'm typing this on my MacBook, with my iPhone in front of me, and my iPad and AppleTV in the living room.)
  • Reply 129 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Clear glass would be nice as a limited edition model or something. We've only seen the hardware. I think Jobs was referring to some new software features of the phone, some high profile apps, multiple carriers, the actual phone specs, and ridiculously long battery life. Jobs said you could play music on the iPad for days with the screen off if you wanted because the chip hardly sucks any power.

I don't think they'll be adding a second iPhone hardware model, but who knows.

You could be right. I'm not expecting the clear glass one because I know I am in a minority of folks that enjoy naked hardware, but maybe third parties will come out with something. It's certainly easy enough to take the glass off and on with the new design.

I think you might be wrong about not having other models though. It's the fourth generation of the device. "Any colour as long as it's black" might not fly.

If the back is that new ceramic material they have the patent on, it can appear in any colour and even appear as chrome or gold. I would expect that if it's possible to include another material choice they might do it since that's what customers generally want.
  • Reply 130 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

I agree!!

I really do not understand why Gizmodo is not facing legal issues, they bought stolen goods...just because someone found the phone did not make them the owner.

I would disagree. It's theirs until Apple proves otherwise by making a claim on it. If I leave a new iPhone in a bar with no receipt and no user info stored in it then it becomes the property of whoever finds it.
  • Reply 131 of 181
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I would disagree. It's theirs until Apple proves otherwise by making a claim on it. If I leave a new iPhone in a bar with no receipt and no user info stored in it then it becomes the property of whoever finds it.

Not according to California law. There's quite a bit about this over on Daring Fireball.

And, California does not seem to be unique in this regard.
  • Reply 132 of 181
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Looks like 9to5 pulled down the letter due to date issues. Spoof?

(Letter stated it was received March 5th. Lol.)
  • Reply 133 of 181
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You could be right. I'm not expecting the clear glass one because I know I am in a minority of folks that enjoy naked hardware, but maybe third parties will come out with something. It's certainly easy enough to take the glass off and on with the new design.

I think you might be wrong about not having other models though. It's the fourth generation of the device. "Any colour as long as it's black" might not fly.

If the back is that new ceramic material they have the patent on, it can appear in any colour and even appear as chrome or gold. I would expect that if it's possible to include another material choice they might do it since that's what customers generally want.

I don't refer to new colours as new models, although technically Apple would (as well as varying storage capacities). I was more referring to the form factor. If a white back looks fine for this form factor they could include it (I'm not sure that it would).

On the other hand, I don't view white as a requirement. When given a choice, 30% of people may select white, but I if you remove that option, I suspect virtually all of those people would still buy an iPhone. I prefer black, but if white was the only option, I would have still bought it.
  • Reply 134 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukas View Post

wow.. i really really really hate how Gizmodo handed all this information - even disassembly photos - of a prototype to Apple's competition..

thats just not cool..seriously

Not to mention the effect this is likely to have on current model sales over the next couple of months. My wife and I had a contract break in January and could have upgraded to the 3GS then, but we decided to skip it and wait for the next one. We were doing this anyway, but it's been so widely reported now that other potential buyers will decide to wait now too. Maybe this will encourage Apple to release the 4G model early. We can only hope
  • Reply 135 of 181
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I think that it's great that Steve responds to emails but notice that he made no comments about that poor engineer? I suspect that after receiving this email he called down to the iDungeon and had the albino monk go to level 10.

And then we heard the sound of ultimate suffering.
  • Reply 136 of 181
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Sooooo.....Apple may continue to make money hand over fist, but one of these days they will truely be doomed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I am aware that Android is far from perfect.

I wonder if Apple is no longer nimble enough. In this day and age, one cellphone update per year is a strategy that will inevitably lead to increasing lag time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone had another record quarter. It is a very viable product. It may be yesterday's news a year from now, but there will still be plenty of buyers; I don't see the volume dropping.

• Reply 137 of 181
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

AWESOME princess bride reference!
  • Reply 138 of 181
    zebzeb Posts: 5member
    Oh the irony, now the new iPhone looks like a smaller version of an iPad
  • Reply 139 of 181
    bocboc Posts: 72member
    is not a game destroying or changing revelation for users or Apple, in my opinion.

We could guess a better screen, faster processor, extra camera, & so on, as odds-on guesses.

What will change the game a lot is if we see a version for Verizon, Sprint, etc. & also the slightly rumored iPhoneMini (for lack of a better word), with reduced functions for seniors and kids, (maybe or maybe not).
  • Reply 140 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

I agree!!

Whatever the statute of limitations are I doubt they would be within 2 months. It makes no sense for Apple to sue them now before they officially announce and demo the new iPhone. It would just add validity to the story when Apple is choosing not to say a word about it at this time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not according to California law. There's quite a bit about this over on Daring Fireball.

And, California does not seem to be unique in this regard.

Gruber's comments on this are all very one sided. He's pointing out the law under the guise that Gizmodo knew exactly what the device was prior to buying it when it. I thought it was probably the next iPhone but wasn't sure until I had a look at the internals. This could have been a hoax for all they knew. It's not hard for them to have consulted their lawyers and to make the exchange for free with the $5k being simply a finders fee for an interesting object that may or may not belong to Apple.

They also could have had the 'finder' sign a document explaining why they are handing it over to Gizmodo. Something to the point of he tried to contact Apple who didn't respond and sense he has no expertise to examine or determine the owner of the device he felt that Giz would be able to figure it out. Giz could also have put in the document that if it does turn out to be Apple's or anyone else's property that they would gladly return it to them so long as they provide some sort of proof and that by presenting it online would help facilitate a faster return to the rightful owner. There are plenty of ways in which Giz can protect themselves from criminal investigation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Sooooo.....Apple may continue to make money hand over fist, but one of these days they will truely be doomed.

The iPod has never had all the same functions as other PMPs and they are still top dog. Even with the iPhone and other smartphones replacing PMPs they still only lost 1% YoY this past quarter.

Quote:

I suspect that after receiving this email he called down to the iDungeon and had the albino monk go to level 10.

He'll be stored until Jobs need to harvest his organs.