Apple's iPad camera adapter supports USB audio, keyboards

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Besides supporting RAW from high-end cameras, iLounge notes that the iPad will import any captured photos at full 2048x1536 resolution, including the EXIF metadata from the original shot.

I haven't read about the connector. Does the actual RAW photo then reside on the iPad so it can be moved to a computer later or are the images stored on the iPad all converted or reduced down to 2048x1536 jpgs or what?

"full 2048x1536 resolution" - what does that mean?
  • Reply 22 of 107
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    And a USB webcam?

That's what I want to see.
  • Reply 23 of 107
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Far out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Groovy!

Fantabuloso!
  • Reply 24 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    While image support isn't an issue there are many cameras that record using DivX codec in an AVI container. Is that going to supported in the Photos app for playback, for storage, or not at all?
  • Reply 25 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Besides supporting RAW from high-end cameras, iLounge notes that the iPad will import any captured photos at full 2048x1536 resolution, including the EXIF metadata from the original shot.

iLounge actually says it exports at that resolution (3megapixel). They were talking about emailing at this 'high resolution', but it doesn't talk about the import as far as I can see (nor the maximum resolution it can display)
  • Reply 26 of 107
    katonahkatonah Posts: 95member
    [COOL]Fixed it for you. That expression is apparently immune to generational overuse and eschewing.

I think the spelling for today's generation is "kewl".
  • Reply 27 of 107
    Anyone try the Macbook Air Ethernet adapter?
  • Reply 28 of 107
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    AI needs to keep an eye on the interns or whoever works weekends. The grammar, syntax, and general understandability of parts of this posting are well below their usual standards.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Besides these accessories likely only appealing to a very small segment of iPad owners (seriously, how common will it be to sync to your images to an iDevice) I don't see a coupler being an issue when for people who are okay with removing SD cards to copy images. Just stick it in your camera bag.

Not so much for camera but for other devices, like audio and maybe even printers (how many "average users" are capable of setting up network printers). There's a lot of potential there but requiring a $30 add on puts a damper on it.
  • Reply 30 of 107
    Quote:

My daughter saw my post and said I was out of date - happens to the best of us I guess.

Peace. Keep on truckin!

P.S. Would it have been to oldster to say "what a rush man"?

In the words of The Firesign Theater(comedy group):

return for regrooving.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ReverendIvanStang View Post

I'm looking at my iPad dock and that connector is pretty deep - not sure if it could be made magsafe given the length of the plug.

I'm just happy to see features that I may not want (a camera) offered to people who "have to have it".

I don't want a nose-hair cam "now". But if there's a need in the future it'll be nice to have - vs "having" to have.

Did anyone think of all the places that restrict cameras? Military? Hospitals? High security areas? I think that's the real reason it was left off.

That's the first I've heard that reasoning for leaving off a camera. Very interesting.
  • Reply 32 of 107
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but why would headsets thru the 'audio out' not suffice for things such as Skype?

Add: Foo2 beat me to it....

2 reasons -

1- Some people already have USB headsets.

2- USB is frequently better quality.

PCs in particular have issues with cheap (read "crappy") audio input ports, but even the best are susceptible to dirt, damage, or corrosion. Also, many USB headsets have built-in noise cancelation and/or filters to balance for voice.

Definitely the better way to go - IMHO.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Peace. Keep on truckin!

Trippin, totally wicked dude far out!

Okay now my comment on this...

Is this is an additional feature Apple didn't mention?

Is this is a completely unintended 'bug' that will be 'fixed' in the earliest possible iPad update possible?

Dave
  • Reply 34 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Not so much for camera but for other devices, like audio and maybe even printers (how many "average users" are capable of setting up network printers). There's a lot of potential there but requiring a $30 add on puts a damper on it.

What kind of audio devices are people going to be hooking up their iPads too? If they are audio recievers for the iPod app on the iPad why would they have an USB-A(m) protruding? A port for USB-A(f) is more likely and the iPad comes with a cable that works with that already nicely?

Are you talking about external speakers for audio out? Why not use the 3.5mm jack or the iPod dock connector as I'm sure there will be plenty of devices with iPad docks (that also work with iPods and iPhones)? If it's for some wonky external speaker set that uses USB but not designed for the iPad then why not just get the adapter and leave it with the speakers or get the $1.80 USB-A(f) coupler and leave it with the speakers or connected to your iPad sync cable?

How many printers will "average users" have? I'd say one, so why not do the exact same thing i mentioned in the last paragraph where you leave the iPod dock adapter or the $1.80 USB-A(f) coupler with the printer? Can the iPad even print directly to other devices via the USB port? I think Apple currently expects printing from the iPad to be a very limited request that makes including 1.21 jigabytes of print drivers unnecessary. You email it to yourself, copy to MobileMe or sync it back via iTunes then print from your PC. It is designed as a satellite computing device, after all.

If you think a built in SD and USB slot will come in handy, they you have to admit that VGA, HDMI, mini-DisplayPort, and Ethernet would all come in handy at times for certain users, but I doubt anyone would expect all those ports to be on this device. Would USB even fit on this device without making it thicker or making a silly trap door like on the MacBook AIr?
  • Reply 35 of 107
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    There will be a lot of good music making programs released for the iPad. There many great audio interfaces for mobile musicians (typically featuring 1 or 2 mic preamps, line ins, MIDI, and more).

Why are you so desperately defending Apple's decisions to limit its devices usability without expensive adapters? A regular computer without USB would be unthinkable. Since the iPad is regarded as a replacement for a laptop for certain uses, USB would greatly expand its capabilities. You sound silly saying that if they include USB than others would want ethernet. USB is a ubiquitous standard used by every peripheral in the last 10 years. I doubt there would be issues fitting a USB port on an iPad either.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

There will be a lot of good music making programs released for the iPad. There many great audio interfaces for mobile musicians (typically featuring 1 or 2 mic preamps, line ins, MIDI, and more).

Why are you so desperately defending Apple's decisions to limit its devices usability without expensive adapters? A regular computer without USB would be unthinkable. Since the iPad is regarded as a replacement for a laptop for certain uses, USB would greatly expand its capabilities. You sound silly saying that if they include USB than others would want ethernet. USB is a ubiquitous standard used by every peripheral in the last 10 years. I doubt there would be issues fitting a USB port on an iPad either.

1) What you're suggesting with pre-amps and MIDI is not even close to the primary intention for this device and will only be used by a very small fraction of those buying iPads.

2) The iPad isn't a regular computer.

3) The iPad isn't designed to be a replacement for your laptop or they would not have required syncing to iTunes before you can use the thing.

4) The iPad does allow USB signaling, what it doesn't have is a big ass USB-A port. Why you think this is necessary to make it useful is illogical.

5) Adapters aren't pricey. I've already pointed out a coupler "for these pre-amps and MIDIs" that is only $1.80 (actually it's only $1.13 on Monoprice).

6) How do you think DJs who use iPods use them? They buy a cheap adapter or they buy a machine with an iPod Dock Connector built-in. The latter being the most common.

7) Your argument is the same as when Apple removed the serial and parallel port in favour of USB, expect people actually had a plethora of accessories back then that required those cables and couldn't be resolved by very few that need them with a $1.13 coupler.

8) If the iPad has an "inny" then the device has to have to an "outy" (ie: it's a dock for the iPad) or they use a cable to connect (ie: so why not the cable that came with the iPad).

9) You doubt there would be a problem with fitting a USB port to the iPad but you haven't supplied any specs to show that the USB-A port which is about 2x the height of the iPod Dock Connector could fit well on the edge of the iPad without causing a problem. Note that 30-pin connector is designed for a snug fit with two hooks on the edges. You can't use USB-B (which is even thicker), micro-USB or mini-USB because you'd then need an adapter.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) What you're suggesting with pre-amps and MIDI is not even close to the primary intention for this device and will only be used by a very small fraction of those buying iPads.

2) The iPad isn't a regular computer.

3) The iPad isn't designed to be a replacement for your laptop or they would not have required syncing to iTunes before you can use the thing.

4) The iPad does allow USB signaling, what it doesn't have is a big ass USB-A port. Why you think this is necessary to make it useful is illogical.

5) Adapters aren't pricey. I've already pointed out a coupler "for these pre-amps and MIDIs" that is only $1.80 (actually it's only $1.13 on Monoprice).

6) How do you think DJs who use iPods use them? They buy a cheap adapter or they buy a machine with an iPod Dock Connector built-in. The latter being the most common.

7) Your argument is the same as when Apple removed the serial and parallel port in favour of USB, expect people actually had a plethora of accessories back then that required those cables and couldn't be resolved by very few that need them with a $1.13 coupler.

8) If the iPad has an "inny" then the device has to have to an "outy" (ie: it's a dock for the iPad) or they use a cable to connect (ie: so why not the cable that came with the iPad).

9) You doubt there would be a problem with fitting a USB port to the iPad but you haven't supplied any specs to show that the USB-A port which is about 2x the height of the iPod Dock Connector could fit well on the edge of the iPad without causing a problem. Note that 30-pin connector is designed for a snug fit with two hooks on the edges. You can't use USB-B (which is even thicker), micro-USB or mini-USB because you'd then need an adapter.

Gonna have to disagree here, as someone who's used mp3 players for recording in the past, their limitations are huge. If the iPad had even a fraction of the driver support for external audio interfaces that the mac does, this thing would be in every engineers hand, just for the pure convenience of it. obviously you wouldnt want to record a symphony on it, but plugging in some M-Audio or Roland box and being able to record audio, guitar, and bass on different tracks would be amazing. But that would require something akin to core audio and multitrack recording support. Both things apple hasn't provided in their developer tools (that I know of).

I get why apple left off the USB port, but there really should be a way to hook multiple devices in to the thing, and at a bare minimum, an SD card reader, the ipad could easily fit one. I really hope to see some 30pin connector audio gear come out now that this thing is so successful already, it would make composing beats and dj'ing on the ipad a lot easier
  • Reply 38 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iandanger View Post

Gonna have to disagree here, as someone who's used mp3 players for recording in the past, their limitations are huge. If the iPad had even a fraction of the driver support for external audio interfaces that the mac does, this thing would be in every engineers hand, just for the pure convenience of it. obviously you wouldnt want to record a symphony on it, but plugging in some M-Audio or Roland box and being able to record audio, guitar, and bass on different tracks would be amazing. But that would require something akin to core audio and multitrack recording support. Both things apple hasn't provided in their developer tools (that I know of).

I get why apple left off the USB port, but there really should be a way to hook multiple devices in to the thing, and at a bare minimum, an SD card reader, the ipad could easily fit one. I really hope to see some 30pin connector audio gear come out now that this thing is so successful already, it would make composing beats and dj'ing on the ipad a lot easier

1) That reinforces my point as to why this wasn't given a half dozen different port options.

2) An SD port would fit, but I don't subscribe to the "if they could do it, they should it" mentality. The number of people offloading their images on to the iPad aren't likely to be that great and, as previously mentioned, this adapter can stay in the camera bag. If this does become a common use I would then expect this to be an addition on a future gen iPad.

3) Give me an example of this M-Audio or Roland box you wish to hook your iPad up to. If it's a "box" then it should have a port for USB which the supplied cable can plug into. Every suggestion for these audio devices makes it sound like the cable is built into the device. That would be foolish design.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    Hello:

Just wondered ...

1) Has anyone tried to connect their Flip Mino HD camera to their iPads via the Camera Connector? (I'm one of those unfortunate souls waiting for his own iPad 3G to come in, so that's why I'm asking.) I am not looking to edit videos on the iPad; just as a temporary place for storage.

2) Has anyone tried to connect an USB webcam to their iPads? The reason why I'm asking is that I use videochat to talk with my deaf friends. *IF* the new iPhone 4G does have a front-facing camera, then this item will be a non-issue.

Thanks!

Raymond
  • Reply 40 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deafwoof View Post

Hello:

Just wondered ...

1) Has anyone tried to connect their Flip Mino HD camera to their iPads via the Camera Connector? (I'm one of those unfortunate souls waiting for his own iPad 3G to come in, so that's why I'm asking.) I am not looking to edit videos on the iPad; just as a temporary place for storage.

2) Has anyone tried to connect an USB webcam to their iPads? The reason why I'm asking is that I use videochat to talk with my deaf friends. *IF* the new iPhone 4G does have a front-facing camera, then this item will be a non-issue.

Thanks!

Raymond

1a) Apple says you can plug your camera directly into the iPad so the USB protocols should pick it up and look for pics and images to copy over. But why go for a $39 accessory when much cheaper options exist?

1b) While this doesn't affect you as you have the HD version which uses the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Part 10 (.MP4) file format the previous Flip Mino uses MPEG-4 Part 2 (.AVI) file format, which is common, so editing and playing on the iPad wouldn't happen anyway.

2) The API for the 30-pin connector will allow for a camera on the device. It's possible for anyone to make an accessory and app that turns your iPad into a camera. And no, the camera won't be pointing up at your nose, just turn the iPad 180° and you'll have the camera at the top.