Apple's iPad camera adapter supports USB audio, keyboards

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but why would headsets thru the 'audio out' not suffice for things such as Skype?

Add: Foo2 beat me to it....

I don't know if the ear phone audio out Jack handles a mic as well, I m just echoing the comments in the article:

"Electronista provided a roundup of the findings yesterday, first noting that one test by TidBITS discovered that the kit will work with most any USB headphone, headset or microphone. This makes it possible to either listen to music or take a VoIP call through off-the-shelf computer accessories. The call quality via VoIP was reportedly "terrific," making it more appealing to use Skype if you don't have a Bluetooth headsets."

That said, it would be interesting to use high quality headsets that require USB such as the Plantronics.
  • Reply 42 of 107
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 640member
    The thing that I first thought of was music - specifically car kits etc for use with a iPhone. Surely it will work on them too, right?

Music through the earphone mic and then routed through a car stereo (for the pleasure of the community ) always has degradation.

If we can get music routed out through the USB connector directly in the back of the car stereo, it should result in awesome ('far out' for you oldies) sound.

Also, I hope the good folk at TomTom will take notice of this and cut the stupid requirement for a bluetooth connection for voice when a dock connection is more than enough.

I'm thinking of modding my car kit with a file or something to use this connector..
  • Reply 43 of 107
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1)

3) Give me an example of this M-Audio or Roland box you wish to hook your iPad up to. If it's a "box" then it should have a port for USB which the supplied cable can plug into. Every suggestion for these audio devices makes it sound like the cable is built into the device. That would be foolish design.

Here's the M-Audio USB devices. As a percentage of overall iPad sales, these types of uses will be miniscule. But for those that do this kind of work - DJs, mobile recordists, et al - the iPad with one of these portable USB audio interfaces would be quite powerful. Some good software on the iPad for recording could be a nifty setup.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 44 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Here's the M-Audio USB devices. As a percentage of overall iPad sales, these types of uses will be miniscule. But for those that do this kind of work - DJs, mobile recordists, et al - the iPad with one of these portable USB audio interfaces would be quite powerful. Some good software on the iPad for recording could be a nifty setup.

- Jasen.

If they have USB ports on them then why do you need the USB adapter for the iPad? Why not just plug the supply iPad cable into the device? Does it not use USB-A? Also, it looks like at least some of them are powered via USB so the iPad won't work in that regard. You'll need a split USB cable to power it from a separate source or the device will have to have a separate input for power.
  • Reply 45 of 107
    Quote:

2) The API for the 30-pin connector will allow for a camera on the device. It's possible for anyone to make an accessory and app that turns your iPad into a camera. And no, the camera won't be pointing up at your nose, just turn the iPad 180° and you'll have the camera at the top.

Either you're being very deep and obvious, or totally oblique, but in either case, I simply don't follow what you are saying here.

Could you put this into plain English?
  • Reply 46 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

- Jasen.

Various makers have come out with audio/mic adapters for iPods and iPhone. I think it is just a matter of time before something comes out for the iPad that will turn it into a portable studio.

One example: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProTrack/

The recording apps for the iPhone are currently OK and some have been used to actually create CDs for sale (some hip hop group wanted a "on the street" sound) as is. With the bigger screen and better CPU o the iPad, somebody should be able to develop an awesome app that, in combo with an audio interface, could really make for an awesome system that would satisfy many a need.

Or is a current portable recorder (eg, Zoom's H4n) were made to connect to the iPad that would be great.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    Quote:

Either you're being very deep and obvious, or totally oblique, but in either case, I simply don't follow what you are saying here.

Could you put this into plain English?

I'm not sure what about that statement isn't plain but if you aren't getting it then clearly I'm not relaying something well.

For iPhone OS v3.0 SDK Apple created APIs that allowed 3rd-party HW vendors access to the 30-pin connector. This allows them to make pretty much any HW attachment they can conceive of and allow apps to connect to this HW. This means that a camera attachment can be built for the iPad.

The last bit about nostrils is because someone surely would respond stating that the camera needs to be at the top, so I reminded that the iPad can be turned in any direction one wishes.
  • Reply 48 of 107
    Quote:

I'm not sure what about that statement isn't plain but if you aren't getting it then clearly I'm not relaying something well.

For iPhone OS v3.0 SDK Apple created APIs that allowed 3rd-party HW vendors access to the 30-pin connector. This allows them to make pretty much any HW attachment they can conceive of and allow apps to connect to this HW. This means that a camera attachment can be built for the iPad.

The last bit about nostrils is because someone surely would respond stating that the camera needs to be at the top, so I reminded that the iPad can be turned in any direction one wishes.

OK. Got it. (The bit about the 180 degrees and nostrils threw me off. Must be time of day.....)

Thanks.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    Quote:

OK. Got it. (The bit about the 180 degrees and nostrils threw me off. Must be time of day.....)

Thanks.

Yeah, 2 of the 3 axis would show the back of the iPad if you turned it 180°. I didn't quite think that through, I just didn't want to continue the "in the box" thinking by referring to the Home Button as the bottom of the device and the opposite end as the top.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    Quote:

I heard from a developer that Apple requires some kind of special addition to Blue Tooth adapters for them to work with iPhone, making it an added effort and expense to obtain that coveted "Works with iPhone" stamp. Is this also true for the 30-pin port?

I had asked him if he was going to make an app for a device recently released with BT... he said the maker had chosen not to install whatever it was that Apple required and thus it doesn't work with iPhone despite both devices having BT.

Sounds a bit limiting on Apple's part. Is it true?
  • Reply 51 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I heard from a developer that Apple requires some kind of special addition to Blue Tooth adapters for them to work with iPhone, making it an added effort and expense to obtain that coveted "Works with iPhone" stamp. Is this also true for the 30-pin port?

I had asked him if he was going to make an app for a device recently released with BT... he said the maker had chosen not to install whatever it was that Apple required and thus it doesn't work with iPhone despite both devices having BT.

Sounds a bit limiting on Apple's part. Is it true?

I have no idea what Apple would have requested but I don't doubt it, they can do some wonky things and their BT profile isn't the best.

The iPod Dock Connector looks more straightforward. It's been in use for 5 or 6 years now and there are thousands of devices using it. I figured it just used the USB protocol for data transmission.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

My daughter saw my post and said I was out of date - happens to the best of us I guess.

Peace. Keep on truckin!

P.S. Would it have been to oldster to say "what a rush man"?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Far out. This should open things up for a lot of stuff (as long as it does not require power).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Groovy!

Quote:

Yeah,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Fantabuloso!

Can you dig it?
  • Reply 53 of 107
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

If they have USB ports on them then why do you need the USB adapter for the iPad? Why not just plug the supply iPad cable into the device? Does it not use USB-A? Also, it looks like at least some of them are powered via USB so the iPad won't work in that regard. You'll need a split USB cable to power it from a separate source or the device will have to have a separate input for power.

I don't think this will work, at least not without the camera kit, or I suppose the dock perhaps. I tried connecting my digital camera to the iPad with a female-to-female adaptor and it did not work. The iPad did not recognize that a camera was connected and the camera did not recognize that it was connected to anything. Something is going on inside Apple's camera adaptor, though what it is, I have no idea.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iandanger View Post

I get why apple left off the USB port, but there really should be a way to hook multiple devices in to the thing, and at a bare minimum, an SD card reader, the ipad could easily fit one. I really hope to see some 30pin connector audio gear come out now that this thing is so successful already, it would make composing beats and dj'ing on the ipad a lot easier

You just don't get it.

Apple is one of the only people in the industry designing things the way they do: figure out what you want the device to do and then distill it down to the essentials needed to do that very, very well.

Everyone else thinks that more features and more ports improves a device, but that's just not the case. Adding features that only 0.01% of users need doesn't make sense - it makes the device more expensive, heavier, and more breakable for everyone in order to satisfy a tiny number of people - most of whom are better served with a regular laptop, anyway.

If Apple adds USB (even if they could find a way to make it fit) and an SD card, why not a CF card? Or any of the other 30 memory card formats? Then, what happens when a new one comes out? Throw your iPad away?

If you want to transfer files from your phone to the iPad, the camera connection works for ALL cameras - regardless of which memory card format it uses. It is also likely that future cameras will continue to have USB connections, so the iPad will be useful with the next generation of cameras, as well.

Let's see the logical extension of this "Why couldn't Apple have added an SD slot or USB slot". A small number of people use parallel port printers. Why didn't Apple add a parallel port. And we control some devices with serial ports. It needs a serial port. Oh, I have an old ADB keyboard around here somewhere. Apple should really have included ADB. And I might find myself somewhere with Ethernet, but no Wifi and too remote for 3G service, so it needs an Ethernet port. And what if I'm on a desert island with no Ethernet, either? They need to put a modem in this thing.

ANY of those items could be argued, but Apple did the only rational thing - they narrowed it down the the minimum required to be a great device - the tiny percentage of people who need something else can find a workaround or buy a regular laptop. It doesn't make sense to add a zillion features just because SOMEONE might want them.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    ranumranum Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sumitagarwal View Post

Anyone try the Macbook Air Ethernet adapter?

Bump for an answer. My wife won't use an iPad if the only data connection is wireless. (Don't ask. Please.) So, I am very curious to know if the MBA ethernet adapter will also work.

I remember a report several months ago about references to ethernet connectivity that were first discovered in the 3.1 SDK. If it won't work now, then maybe with the 4.0 update. I am encouraged by seeing other kinds of uses for the USB port other than just camera connectivity.
  • Reply 56 of 107
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Fantabuloso!

Most excellent!
  • Reply 57 of 107
    I've got to say I'm totally surprised that the USB adapter supports anything other than DCIM import. I think I said in another thread that I would eat my hat or something like that...

I'm pleased to be wrong.
  • Reply 58 of 107
    tquilatquila Posts: 7member
    It would be handy if the camera adapter worked with the current iPhone OS. Has anyone tried the adapter on the 3GS iPhone?
  • Reply 59 of 107
    I have an Aiptek video camera with a sd card , it makes Quicktime compatable mp4's and would also like a quick check of my vids in the field---maybe I don't need to spend $30 to interface it, just a $1.80 adaptor?
  • Reply 60 of 107
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I haven't read about the connector. Does the actual RAW photo then reside on the iPad so it can be moved to a computer later or are the images stored on the iPad all converted or reduced down to 2048x1536 jpgs or what?

"full 2048x1536 resolution" - what does that mean?

No, the RAW file is not imported, only a lower resolution JPEG preview image, which most cameras create. You will not be able to store your RAW images on the iPad and erase the SD card for re-use.