Oprah gushes over 'amazing' new Apple iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Television personality Oprah Winfrey, who in the past boosted sales of the Amazon Kindle by praising it on her program, recently declared herself a fan of Apple's iPad for an audience of millions to see.

Winfrey praised the iPad, which she called "amazing," in a conversation on her show last week with tech analyst Omar Wasow. She highlighted the device's abilities as an e-reader, noting that the its touchscreen allows books to "move," and proclaimed that Apple's new hardware would "change the way kids learn."

The TV host also mentioned the Kindle when talking about the iPad, noting that the Amazon Kindle application allows users to read their books on the iPad. She said that unlike the Kindle, the iPad has a backlit screen, which allows for reading in the dark, sharing photos, and playing games like Scrabble. "Gosh, those Apple folks," she said.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the TV host even referred to her ownership of Amazon's e-reader in the past tense, stating she "had a Kindle." A spokesperson for Winfrey later clarified and said she uses both devices.

The Journal noted that Winfrey's endorsement of the Kindle in 2008 led to a flood of orders at Amazon, which had difficulty keeping up with demand for the holiday season.

Oprah's Book Club is featured on Apple's iBookstore on the iPad, where titles highlighted by the host are available for purchase. As part of the free iBooks application, the iBookstore is Apple's entrance into the e-book market, and also features the New York Times Bestsellers list.

Winfrey has partnered with Apple in the past for charity. In 2006, she, along with U2 singer Bono and a number of celebrities, took part in the (Product) Red promotion for the iPod nano. Proceeds from the device, which is still sold by Apple with the latest-generation iPod nano, support the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa. Oprah and Bono both filmed a segment at an Apple store in Chicago, Ill., to promote the cause in 2006.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Television personality Oprah Winfrey, who in the past boosted sales of the Amazon Kindle by praising it on her program, recently declared herself a fan of Apple's iPad for an audience of millions to see.

Apple is DOOMED.
  • Reply 2 of 92
    Oh no! Here comes the stampede of soccer moms and suburban poser housewives into all Apple stores across the nation! Get out of the way!
  • Reply 3 of 92
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    An endorsement from a woman who touted "A Million Little Pieces" and "The Secret" and regularly promotes as medical authorities such people as Mehmet Oz, Suzanne Somers, Jenny McCarthy is not something that Apple should welcome
  • Reply 4 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Oh no! Here comes the stampede of soccer moms and suburban poser housewives into all Apple stores across the nation! Get out of the way!

Or get IN the way.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Buy aapl buy buy buy
  • Reply 6 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

An endorsement from a woman who touted "A Million Little Pieces" and "The Secret" and regularly promotes as medical authorities such people as Mehmet Oz, Suzanne Somers, Jenny McCarthy is not something that Apple should welcome

Why? She has millions of dedicated fans who will be very interested in the iPad based on her comments.

For those who don't like her, her endorsement won't reflect badly on Apple, so why should Apple care?

It would be different if Hitler was touting the iPad, but he didn't like it.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    Quote:

Don't forget her pathetic endorsement of all Obama
  • Reply 8 of 92
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

It just goes to show how misinformed you are of the impact of people like Oprah, and the good things she has accomplished.

I do not care much about the others you cited.

I have seen some of her shows, although on very rare occasion. Not my kind of thing to watch on a regular basis but she has her role to play, especially to a sizable segment of our society that we derisively call, soccer Moms, etc.

She may have done more good than many of us combined.

I bet many authors, and companies would dearly love to get her endorsement. Even Apple would love to reach his fan base. In fact, they are a part of the demographic based that Apple is targeting.

CGC
  • Reply 9 of 92
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    "Winfrey also has a financial interest in the iPad, as Oprah's Book Club is featured on Apple's iBookstore on the iPad..."

says a lot. Though I also think it's pretty cool
  • Reply 10 of 92
    Quote:

Because free advertisement from a well respected woman in the media, with millions of dedicated viewers who take her endorsement as a "must buy", is assuredly a bad thing for the business because of her personal opinions?

Also, it is a horrible thing for Apple to realize profit from that endorsement so that they can invest in refining the product lines they currently have (and invest in new innovative products).

I'm sure Steve is very upset about this and will work hard to resolve. I expect a retraction from Oprah by end of week.

At least me, as a shareholder and consumer of Apple products, sure hopes so..........
  • Reply 11 of 92
    Quote:

This is a fair criticism. While Opera does a lot of very good things with her wealth and publicity, she has also made her share of blunders. Then again, we all have.

What's most concerning, IMHO, is that her influence and support is often used to encourage her fans to lean towards very... err... untraditional forms of medication and/or fulfillment. If you're sick - go see a doctor first. If you want to try alternative medicine - have at it - but make sure you see a medical expert too. If you're feeling 'unfulfilled', read a self help book or try to figure out the secret - but you might also try the Bible. (not trying to start a religious debate - honestly.) Just making a point that Opera tends to avoid mainstream and that lands her in contradictory and awkward situations at times.

As a significant shareholder - I'll take Opera's endorsement all day long and bank on it.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    She actually bought a new car for each of 276 people in her audience in 2004.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/5989964/

She will probably buy 3G x 64GB iPads for everyone this year.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I think Oprah more than destroyed and discredited James Frey's career as a writer when she found out the whole book was a lie.

Quote:

• Reply 14 of 92
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

they're already there. those that aren't (of the people currently there) will be soon (soccer moms).
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Time will tell.

A guy I worked with was on that show. He and his wife both got a new car.

So, free iPads for everyone? Probably.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Time will tell.

The cars were donated by Pontiac and we all know where Pontiac is today. BTW, if Oprah does give away iPads to everyone on one of her shows, then I wonder if she'll foot the bill herself or expect Apple to donate them. The other thing to consider is the people who received the free cars were specifically chosen because of their need for a new car. Wonder if Oprah will screen people to see who needs iPads.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

It just goes to show how misinformed you are of the impact of people like Oprah, and the good things she has accomplished.

I do not care much about the others you cited.

I have seen some of her shows, although on very rare occasion. Not my kind of thing to watch on a regular basis but she has her role to play, especially to a sizable segment of our society that we derisively call, soccer Moms, etc.

She may have done more good than many of us combined.

I bet many authors, and companies would dearly love to get her endorsement. Even Apple would love to reach his fan base. In fact, they are a part of the demographic based that Apple is targeting.

CGC

A friend said it best: "Oprah gives good interview!"

• Reply 18 of 92
    For all the hardcore techies (if you read an Apple rumor blog, this is you) who dismiss the iPad as useless or dumbed down, this should be a cue to who might be buying these things in the future.

Have you ever heard Opera gush about her MacBook Pro and how its Core i7 processor has a Geekbench score of over 6,000? My mom watches Oprah, not Engadget.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Time will tell.

Yeah but those people were incensed that that "FREE" car wasn't exactly free as they had to fork over $1000.00+ bucks to pay for taxes!
  • Reply 20 of 92
    Ugh. Oprah.