HP's purchase of Palm could lead to WebOS tablets, netbooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Smart move by HP. I really think it is best for them to get rid of Windows 7 Slate and replace it with WebOS. At least then Apple will have some competition.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I worked solely around HP product lines for the last 4 years. I must say that I'm glad that HP stepped up and decided to get in the game. Yes it's going to strain their relationship with Microsoft but this mobile market is too lucrative to sit on the sidelines.

HP should make some strategic acquisitions in support of this. Yes ..I mean hit CTRL C and develop an HP iLife.

They've got Snapfish for photography and some other stuff they can piece together. Give everything a nice unified UI and tie it in with WebOS as much as possible.

Amazing how Apple hardware and software integration approach seems to be the best solution.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

HP just hasn't developed the ecosystem to make this a success. Google has search & Google Docs among other thing. Apple has OS X iPods ipads & more. HP will have to acquire more companies and start taking more risks if they want to succeed.

Maybe, but I was thinking more along the lines of it being a bit of a blow to Microsoft to have a major hardware vendor desert them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I think it would succeed simply because it's an alternate to Windows. There are many who absolutely adore Windows, then there are others who would rather place an appendage in a meat grinder than have to live with anything attached to MS...

Well, yes but there are other alternatives, available or expected soon. iPad, Android tablets, Chrome tablets... so, it's not like there aren't already alternatives to Microsoft/Win7. HP inherit a small ecosystem of WebOS developers, and a small app store, but that's about it. It's absolutely not a slam dunk that they succeed, and a lot of people who were exited about WebOS because it was from Palm might lose some of that enthusiasm now that it's with HP. A few people would buy it because it's WebOS, and few others because it's from HP (I'm sure they have their fans), but they need to be able to offer something compelling, both in term of an ecosystem (it won't be syncing with iTunes) and in terms of software, to make it a success.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xebeche View Post

I find it interesting that HP keeps buying failing companies. Did they not learn from Compaq?

HP didn't buy Compaq, it was a merger.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Whose value included Digital and Cray ... for their cash cow, long-term corporate and government maintenance renewal contracts (not synergistic, nor innovative, just pillaging to improve cash flow).

Tandam, not Cray. Cray was bought by SGI.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    In 3 yrs or so, we will find out who the winners and losers in this debacle will be. HP cannot make or market a smartphone.

WebOS may be good, but it will be bad when it gets in HP hands. These are the same guys that bought Compac a few years ago and destroyed it.

Apple I will predict will gain from this. Palm will cease to be a brand as HP will soon change it.

• Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

Tandam, not Cray. Cray was bought by SGI.

Thanks, you're absolutely correct.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Maybe, but I was thinking more along the lines of it being a bit of a blow to Microsoft to have a major hardware vendor desert them.

HP explicitly said they remain an MS mobile partner... this is just one bet amongst many

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, yes but there are other alternatives, available or expected soon. iPad, Android tablets, Chrome tablets... so, it's not like there aren't already alternatives to Microsoft/Win7. HP inherit a small ecosystem of WebOS developers, and a small app store, but that's about it. It's absolutely not a slam dunk that they succeed, and a lot of people who were exited about WebOS because it was from Palm might lose some of that enthusiasm now that it's with HP. A few people would buy it because it's WebOS, and few others because it's from HP (I'm sure they have their fans), but they need to be able to offer something compelling, both in term of an ecosystem (it won't be syncing with iTunes) and in terms of software, to make it a success.

+1 - a couple of million WebOS fans cannot drive a relevant market share or profitable scale
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

In 3 yrs or so, we will find out who the winners and losers in this debacle will be. HP cannot make or market a smartphone.

WebOS may be good, but it will be bad when it gets in HP hands. These are the same guys that bought Compac a few years ago and destroyed it.

Apple I will predict will gain from this. Palm will cease to be a brand as HP will soon change it.

It won't take 3 years - Palm's body/corpse will have been cremated or feted within 18 months knowing HP's history of "make it" or "can it".
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Quote:

It was an acquisition. Compaq was not a basket case like Palm but it was initiated, justified and managed by HP. The results speak for themselves - Compaq is nothing but a bargain basement brand for HP now. Check out headlines of the time...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/97944...es_compaq.html
  • Reply 30 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

It won't take 3 years - Palm's body/corpse will have been cremated or feted within 18 months knowing HP's history of "make it" or "can it".

Probably true but the fact HP would prefer this to anything M$ has to offer speaks volumes.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

Looks like the HP Windows 7 based Slate may never see the light of day

I say good. HP needs to grow a pair and stop hanging on Microsoft's nads.

That is a smart, bold, and surprising move! It is exactly how HP should be looking at the future.

But... I still don't believe they have the chutzpah to stick with the plan. They do have the one thing that Palm really lacked-- money-- but they need to generate one hell of a lot of interest in Palm's phones (mad advertising push) immediately to keep WebOS from dying. I don't know how they can do that legally before the acquisition is complete. If they lose developers from WebOS, they will have to start from scratch in a year or so.

Palm was spending about $400MM a year on operations. If that gets doubled, which is about what it would take to make WebOS viable, I have trouble believing Mark Hurd can make it look like a solid long-term investment.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Pure semantics. Hp was larger and while they technically "merged" it subordinated Compaq-ie. made them their b*^ch. Within a year, two at most, what was the essence of Compaq no longer really existed. Don't get me wrong I despised Compaq and felt Hp was making a huge mistake merging, buying, whatever with them.

Remember the Daimler-Chrysler merger of equals?

In a nut shell Chrysler was absorbed and fully subsumed by Daimler. Although Chrysler gave Daimler indigestion and eventually spit them back up.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

It was an acquisition. Compaq was not a basket case like Palm but it was initiated, justified and managed by HP. The results speak for themselves - Compaq is nothing but a bargain basement brand for HP now. Check out headlines of the time...

It's been referred to as both, sometimes in the same report. But, your point is well-taken.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xebeche View Post

I find it interesting that HP keeps buying failing companies. Did they not learn from Compaq?

Quote:

HP did buy Compaq. 'Merger' is a bit of a meaningless term, although widely thrown around.

In a so-called 'merger' there is almost always an acquirer and a target. In this instance, HP was the acquirer, and Compaq the target. (Ask Carly Fiorina).

The early verdict was that it was a disaster. But many people would now reasonably re-evaluate that original assessment, and agree that Compaq turned out to be quite a sensible acquisition for HP, overall.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Pure semantics. Hp was larger and while they technically "merged" it subordinated Compaq-ie. made them their b*^ch. Within a year, two at most, what was the essence of Compaq no longer really existed. Don't get me wrong I despised Compaq and felt Hp was making a huge mistake merging, buying, whatever with them.

Remember the Daimler-Chrysler merger of equals?

In a nut shell Chrysler was absorbed and fully subsumed by Daimler. Although Chrysler gave Daimler indigestion and eventually spit them back up.

You are right. (Except for the b*^ch part.)
  • Reply 36 of 73
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    This was the best news I've read all day.

HTC buying Palm would have been fine, but I like this even better. Just beef up the HW that the WebOS uses (and increase the battery life), and I'll have something to replace my Pre Plus in a few years, and who knows what in between (I'm not sold on tablets as anything viable, but a WebOS tablet would be neat to see).
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Palm was innovative. If HP can just provide the money and let Palm create things that HP can use and market, then it will be a great acquisition.

The future of computing is in iPad like devices. I think with more of them, the smart phone trend might reverse. People will buy less sophisticated phones and buy more sophisticated tablets for all of their fun and business tasks. The smart telephone will revert to a telephone.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Palm was innovative. If HP can just provide the money and let Palm create things that HP can use and market, then it will be a great acquisition.

I'm unfamiliar with the current HP management, so as anantksundaram said earlier, "That's a big if."
  • Reply 39 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I worked solely around HP product lines for the last 4 years. I must say that I'm glad that HP stepped up and decided to get in the game. Yes it's going to strain their relationship with Microsoft but this mobile market is too lucrative to sit on the sidelines.

HP should make some strategic acquisitions in support of this. Yes ..I mean hit CTRL C and develop an HP iLife.

They've got Snapfish for photography and some other stuff they can piece together. Give everything a nice unified UI and tie it in with WebOS as much as possible.

Completely agree. The mobile computing market is still morphing and H-P is wise to make a bold move at this juncture.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

HP lacks the talent, vision and drive to exploit this opportunity fully.

They have just purchased talent, vision and drive. On the other hand, talent, vision and drive just got fundings they were lacking.

This can go both ways, but potential is there.