HP's purchase of Palm could lead to WebOS tablets, netbooks

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Yes... Because Apple is the only one that can do anything right... /sarcasm and .

Yes, Apple actually is the only American company that can do anything right, if they made a car it would be the greatest invention known to man, and all the companies that have been making cars for the past 50 years would be trying to copy their design. I'm sorry but there's nothing wrong with you having allegiance to the 2nd best, just don't assume the rest of us have low expectation and taste like you do.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    I think this is an awesome move. It gives me a glimmer of hope that someone at HP might be developing a bit of vision. I'm an IT admin, and in my book, HP is king of the server market, but they have languished in the consumer space... continually lackluster consumer products and failed strategies if you ask me.

But the prospects of WebOS on an HP tablet gives me great hope. I had already written off any HP tablets because of their dependence on Windows... Let's face it, Windows sucks when it comes to touch UI and low power mobile devices. Putting WebOS on the HP tablet would have me taking a serious look at it. The hardware resource demands would drop significantly under WebOS, allowing HP to build a slimmer, more efficient tablet. HP is also a company I think is willing to include the features that are Glaring Omissions in the Apple tablet, like a USB port and front facing camera.

I say bring it on! Apple needs some actual, real, viable competition in the mobile space. Windows doesn't and never will be able to compete here. It will take a WebOS or Android device to give any real competition to the iDevices. With HP behind it, I think WebOS could possibly stand a better shot at it than Android, if HP doesn't squander this opportunity.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Yes, Apple actually is the only American company that can do anything right, if they made a car it would be the greatest invention known to man, and all the companies that have been making cars for the past 50 years would be trying to copy their design. I'm sorry but there's nothing wrong with you having allegiance to the 2nd best, just don't assume the rest of us have low expectation and taste like you do.

I'm glad Apple doesn't make a car. I wouldn't want to buy a car where everything's sealed off from me. Where I can only change my oil only at an Apple store or have to send my car in to one of their repair centers while I wait without a car for the weeks it takes for them to put in a new battery. Or have to send it to a special repair store to change the tires because they're bolted on using an Apple proprietary tool.

My point with that post was that we should give HP a bit of time to see what they do with Palm's IP. But of course, that was completely lost on you.

And FYI, please don't tell me what my expectations and tastes are. While Apple products are great, they personally don't meet my expectations at all. I want to be able to tinker with what I consider my property and Apple won't let me do that as readily as its competitors. Attack me if you will, but that's my opinion. Take it or leave it.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I'm glad Apple doesn't make a car. I wouldn't want to buy a car where everything's sealed off from me. Where I can only change my oil only at an Apple store or have to send my car in to one of their repair centers while I wait without a car for the weeks it takes for them to put in a new battery. Or have to send it to a special repair store to change the tires because they're bolted on using an Apple proprietary tool.

My point with that post was that we should give HP a bit of time to see what they do with Palm's IP. But of course, that was completely lost on you.

And FYI, please don't tell me what my expectations and tastes are. While Apple products are great, they personally don't meet my expectations at all. I want to be able to tinker with what I consider my property and Apple won't let me do that as readily as its competitors. Attack me if you will, but that's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Despite your disapproval of Apple having full control of their product, its obvious their business model is the most successful and innovative of all the tech companies in this country, they're the market leaders in innovation and mobile computing, they're quickly becoming the standard for smartphone technology. You may not like how they do business, but its obvious its incredibly successful, and everyone is rushing out to be the next Apple. Your wild analogies about the car thing is extremely far fetched.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Didn't Jobs start out with a HP internship long ago?

Nah, that was Woz. While working for HP, Woz designed what was to become the Apple I. He offered the design to HP... they weren't interested. When Mike Markkula offered to back the two Steves and create Apple, the deal almost fell through, because Woz didn't want to leave his job at HP.

HP was a very good company to work for in those days, and had a reputation for top-quality products (calculators, etc).

The story goes that Jobs had to do a real sales job on Woz to convince him to leave HP and start Apple.

...funny, as my wife always said: "Things work out the way they should!".

Whoppee! I just got "prepared for shipment" on my iPad 3G!

• Reply 66 of 73
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Didn't Jobs start out with a HP internship long ago?

That would be Woz.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Despite your disapproval of Apple having full control of their product, its obvious their business model is the most successful and innovative of all the tech companies in this country, they're the market leaders in innovation and mobile computing, they're quickly becoming the standard for smartphone technology. You may not like how they do business, but its obvious its incredibly successful, and everyone is rushing out to be the next Apple. Your wild analogies about the car thing is extremely far fetched.

I won't disagree with you about their successful model. But it doesn't mean they're the only ones that are successful. All of their competitors have successful business models as well or otherwise they'd be out of business. I will point to Android as an example. When the G1 came out around the time of the iPhone, it was only a curiosity. And now, it's skyrocketing in adoption around the globe. Again, my original point has been lost on you completely.

You may think my car analogies may be far-fetched, but so far, (I may be wrong on this) I haven't seen a product of theirs that allows it to be serviced in another repair store. My analogies are no more far-fetched than your idea that Apple would jump into the car industry.

I want to be able to walk into a store and pick a part that offers better performance than what's already in the car. From Apple's current business model, I don't think this it's too far-fetched to see Apple wanting to control the user's car experience by completely dictating what can and can't be bought for internal car parts.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob

HP explicitly said they remain an MS mobile partner... this is just one bet amongst many...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl

If they keep multiple platforms, they will be in trouble. Think Digital which was killed (mostly) from the endless VMS-Ultrix wars. I think HP should go full steam with a WebOS based ecosystem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, they could only being paying lip service to Microsoft, so they don't get the price of Windows licenses for their PC hardware jacked up. But, if HP's strategy is to try to cover all bases with both MS and Palm powered devices (or worse, also throw Android and/or Chrome into the mix) I think WebOS will fail and die. The message to developers and consumers would be that they don't even believe in WebOS enough to commit themselves to it and fully support it. And, if HP shows they don't really believe in it, why should anyone buy it?

(Although they had already lost control of Palm OS by this point, I think Palm's introduction of Windows Mobile devices is one of the key points in their history where you can point to a specific decision that was a significant factor in their demise. Well, one of many very bad decisions.)

Here's the way you play this game:

1) Quickly, announce and deliver an upgrade for existing WebOS devices with replacement of poor-quality hardware, as necessary. (Calm the Palm waters)

2) Continue with existing HP MSFT non-mobile plans (Business as usual).

3) Publically and privately reaffirm [any public] plans for the Slate and Win Mobile 7. (Assuage the giant).

4) Quitely discontinue any HP or Palm plans to use any other mobile OS. (Simplify, simplify!).

5) Go balls-out to port WebOS and the infrastructure to the Slate. (Bet the mobile farm, er garage).

That way, the "conflict" is focused on 1 device (the Slate) and 2 OSes (Win Mobile 7 and WebOS)

The way I envision it playing out, for the Slate, is: about Aug 1, 2010, the WebOS version of the Slate is ready to go but the Win Mobile is not quite ready (waiting for Win Mobile 7).

-- Announce the Slate for immediate delivery with WebOS

-- Announce the slate for later delivery with Win Mobile 7.

The back-to-school and Christmas seasons are covered with SlateWebOS.

Whenifever SlateWinMobile7 is ready, they should announce and deliver it. This may have some appeal to the MSFTies, but prolly won't sell well against SlateWebOS or other competitive devices.

...We gave it our best shot (with Win Mobile 7), but alas (sigh) it just didn't sell!

Or, paraphrasing Pogo: "We have met the competition, and they 'R us!"

The SlateWinMobile7 is relegated to a footnote in history, and the SlateWebOS "Gets them where they want to go!".

That's how to play the game!

• Reply 69 of 73
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Personally I think HP just spent 1.2 billion dollars as a guaranteed failed experiment, they lack the expertise and common sense to pull this off. You're talking about a company that has only relied on the windows operating system and windows mobile as its sole software tech to try and go up against the iPhone OS. Even if they acquired WebOS through this venture, their lack of imagination from using windows based software for these past decades will be their downfall.

HP seriously will not be any form of contender in the mobile space, not in netbooks ie slate/pad devices, or mobile smart phones. HP is definitely not too big to fail in their latest efforts to try stand toe to toe with the gargantuan that is Apple.

Perhaps you are unaware of HP-UX? Granted, this is not a consumer, Best Buy, kind of OS. It is for "serious" business. Again, my belief is that while HP may develop some ho-hum tablets for the consumer/home-user market, they gained some great potential in the enterprise market with WebOS.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Perhaps you are unaware of HP-UX? Granted, this is not a consumer, Best Buy, kind of OS. It is for "serious" business. Again, my belief is that while HP may develop some ho-hum tablets for the consumer/home-user market, they gained some great potential in the enterprise market with WebOS.

I'm not only aware of HP's halfassed efforts with HP-UX, but also their apathy with the VMS/Alpha platform which they got from DEC via their Compaq takeover/acquisition/merger. Painfully aware.

Taking over a hardware company is a completely different beast than taking over a software platform, and HP doesn't have the greatest track record with software...
  • Reply 71 of 73
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Same ol' same ol'. Apple took many years of careful experimentation and development before bringing the iPad to market. Now HP is going to throw WebOS on a tablet (and do as much reverse engineering of the iPad they can get away with) to come out with a product in months, not years. Even with a half-baked product they will be well behind. The only advantage they have to try to be what the iPad is not (yet) a la Android's "Does" campaign. And to learn from whatever few weaknesses in the iPad the market has uncovered. In the end it will all likely be too little too late.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's the way you play this game:

1) Quickly, announce and deliver an upgrade for existing WebOS devices with replacement of poor-quality hardware, as necessary. (Calm the Palm waters)

2) Continue with existing HP MSFT non-mobile plans (Business as usual).

3) Publically and privately reaffirm [any public] plans for the Slate and Win Mobile 7. (Assuage the giant).

4) Quitely discontinue any HP or Palm plans to use any other mobile OS. (Simplify, simplify!).

5) Go balls-out to port WebOS and the infrastructure to the Slate. (Bet the mobile farm, er garage).

That way, the "conflict" is focused on 1 device (the Slate) and 2 OSes (Win Mobile 7 and WebOS)

The way I envision it playing out, for the Slate, is: about Aug 1, 2010, the WebOS version of the Slate is ready to go but the Win Mobile is not quite ready (waiting for Win Mobile 7).

-- Announce the Slate for immediate delivery with WebOS

-- Announce the slate for later delivery with Win Mobile 7.

The back-to-school and Christmas seasons are covered with SlateWebOS.

Whenifever SlateWinMobile7 is ready, they should announce and deliver it. This may have some appeal to the MSFTies, but prolly won't sell well against SlateWebOS or other competitive devices.

...We gave it our best shot (with Win Mobile 7), but alas (sigh) it just didn't sell!

Or, paraphrasing Pogo: "We have met the competition, and they 'R us!"

The SlateWinMobile7 is relegated to a footnote in history, and the SlateWebOS "Gets them where they want to go!".

That's how to play the game!

That is A way to play it but very unlikely to be the way that multi-billion companies with a track record of conservatism will do it. They just canned the Win7 Slate, are already looking at Android, they bought Palm, they are a WinPh7 partner - these guys bet on all the options. This proprietary operating system thing is mostly new to them and they will not bet "the mobile farm" on a single platform with great specs but massive market problems.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    curtisemaylecurtisemayle Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Same ol' same ol'. Apple took many years of careful experimentation and development before bringing the iPad to market. Now HP is going to throw WebOS on a tablet (and do as much reverse engineering of the iPad they can get away with) to come out with a product in months, not years. Even with a half-baked product they will be well behind. The only advantage they have to try to be what the iPad is not (yet) a la Android's "Does" campaign. And to learn from whatever few weaknesses in the iPad the market has uncovered. In the end it will all likely be too little too late.

In that timeframe, there could be an interesting product to come out of it when matched with their flexible displays.