HP's purchase of Palm could lead to WebOS tablets, netbooks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Smart move by HP. I really think it is best for them to get rid of Windows 7 Slate and replace it with WebOS. At least then Apple will have some competition.

Pretty much given. Even MS tablet/Courier/whatever, if released, is likely to have Windows Phone OS,n ot fully blown desktop OS.

I do, however, expect that HP will have more than one mobile platform. Like Dell, HTC... pretty much everyone but Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I thought HP was M$'s best pal? Sure M$ must not like HP doing Palm OS...

I wondered if that was the real reason HTC dropped out of the bidding... The price to be paid for being Microsoft's beyatch?
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

They have just purchased talent, vision and drive. On the other hand, talent, vision and drive just got fundings they were lacking.

This can go both ways, but potential is there.

For WebOS and the hardware maybe, but the Palm client software for OSX and Windows has been complete and utter crap. And, to be honest, that has hardly been HP's forté...
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Interesting move on HP's part. I can see them using PalmOS for some of their 'purpose-built' devices perhaps in their Medical business. However, I seriously doubt they can compete with Apple, M$, RIM, and Google in the mobileOS or handset space. A lot of the Palm engineers will be onto their next startup and two years from now Palm will be considered 'not strategic' and quietly EOL'd...
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Many of the Palm Engineers are from Apple and many of them also worked for Be Inc. on the BeOS.

These guys and gals are very bright and experienced engineers and they have taste when it comes to user interfaces. Be Inc. came out with some nice tablets with very nice UIs running the BeOS in the early '90s.

I don't think HP + Palm can beat the iPad but they will sure give iPad a run for its money.

They will keep Apple on it's toes and that's a good thing.

Time will tell.

True, and yet I have this feeling that HP will kill off the best and brightest in no time -- it's their legacy, it's how they roll.

On a slight tangent, it's gotta suck going from an Apple employee to a Palm employee on deaths proverbial doorstep to working for (gasp!) HP.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    I think this is great news for every one except Microsoft. It's great for consumers as it 'should' spur real competition. HP will produce their own 'iPad' and with luck it will be very good. Apple's iPad and eco system will be better. But the important thing is that it pushes real innovation and competitiveness. It also further dilutes the perception people have that Microsoft is the only platform option. It's game over for Microsoft in the consumer market - they have been relegated to niché player.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    markkmarkk Posts: 13member
    sooooo....when apple makes the ipad everyone complains but if HP makes a huge pre it will be amazing?
  • Reply 48 of 73
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markk View Post

sooooo....when apple makes the ipad everyone complains but if HP makes a huge pre it will be amazing?

The double standard is hilarious. If it has Android or WebOS on it, and a USB port it is genius, and if Apple makes it, it is a crappy toy. The Apple haters live in their own little world. Who are we to puncture their little geekdom?
  • Reply 49 of 73
    lugeelugee Posts: 17member
    Quote:

They have just purchased talent, vision and drive. On the other hand, talent, vision and drive just got fundings they were lacking.

Yeah I agree. WebOS in my opinion is the most elagent Smart OS out there. With HP's money and Hardware knowlwdge Palm can make some great hardware to go with the WebOS. As that and some better advertising is what they were lacking.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Strategy-wise, this is reminiscent of Apple buying NeXT. But is is easier for HP as it is a whole new category with a ready OS instead of a migration type of NeXTSTEP->Mac OS X.

If HP has the commitment to pull this off (build the whole ecosystem around WebOS), this is a first believable potential competitor for iPhone OS. But it will take a few years minimum.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

True, and yet I have this feeling that HP will kill off the best and brightest in no time -- it's their legacy, it's how they roll.

On a slight tangent, it's gotta suck going from an Apple employee to a Palm employee on deaths proverbial doorstep to working for (gasp!) HP.

Didn't Jobs start out with a HP internship long ago?
  • Reply 52 of 73
    Quote:

Pretty much given. Even MS tablet/Courier/whatever, if released, is likely to have Windows Phone OS,n ot fully blown desktop OS.

I do, however, expect that HP will have more than one mobile platform. Like Dell, HTC... pretty much everyone but Apple.

If they keep multiple platforms, they will be in trouble. Think Digital which was killed (mostly) from the endless VMS-Ultrix wars. I think HP should go full steam with a WebOS based ecosystem.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Quote:

Yeah, and HP does come up with nice stuff once in a while...

Their Mini netbooks are the closest thing one could find to what an Apple netbook could've been like (the discontinued aluminum widescreen Mininote in particular)...the rest of the netbook market is crap aside from some Sony designs.

So i'll keep an eye on their next offerings, particularly what their tablet will turn out to be compared to the Mini and the iPad...

If they go with WebOS, i hope it will still be root-accessible without jumping thru hoops...unlike the jailbreaking situation with iPhone OS

The ecosystem question won't be that hard if Nokia will recruit others to agree on the Qt framework/toolkit as a foundation for native apps. That way, what runs on Maemo/Meego(ugh..horrible name)...can run on a whole bunch of other ARM+Linux devices...the only "outsiders" would be the iP-whatevers and the Android (Java...yck)

Dan
  • Reply 54 of 73
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    The message I read from this, is that HP does not want to depend on MS for its mobile strategy, and the model offered by Android is not that different. HP will try an in-house OS development strategy, see how it goes, and perhaps cut MS all together... Who knows.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

HP explicitly said they remain an MS mobile partner... this is just one bet amongst many...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

If they keep multiple platforms, they will be in trouble. Think Digital which was killed (mostly) from the endless VMS-Ultrix wars. I think HP should go full steam with a WebOS based ecosystem.

Yes, they could only being paying lip service to Microsoft, so they don't get the price of Windows licenses for their PC hardware jacked up. But, if HP's strategy is to try to cover all bases with both MS and Palm powered devices (or worse, also throw Android and/or Chrome into the mix) I think WebOS will fail and die. The message to developers and consumers would be that they don't even believe in WebOS enough to commit themselves to it and fully support it. And, if HP shows they don't really believe in it, why should anyone buy it?

(Although they had already lost control of Palm OS by this point, I think Palm's introduction of Windows Mobile devices is one of the key points in their history where you can point to a specific decision that was a significant factor in their demise. Well, one of many very bad decisions.)
  • Reply 56 of 73
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

Interesting move on HP's part. I can see them using PalmOS for some of their 'purpose-built' devices perhaps in their Medical business.

Agreed. Unlike Apple, HP is a big player in corporate, enterprise, and vertical markets. They could do a very nice business oriented tablet. They do consulting and could supply very nice "whole package" solutions to hospitals, warehouses, etc.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Agreed. Unlike Apple, HP is a big player in corporate, enterprise, and vertical markets. They could do a very nice business oriented tablet. They do consulting and could supply very nice "whole package" solutions to hospitals, warehouses, etc.

- Jasen.

Exactly. That is a world that most of us -- and Apple -- do not understand. I am not saying better or worse, just that it's different.

We should be somewhat less bombastic and less dismissive in our assessments of the company and its capabilities.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Personally I think HP just spent 1.2 billion dollars as a guaranteed failed experiment, they lack the expertise and common sense to pull this off. You're talking about a company that has only relied on the windows operating system and windows mobile as its sole software tech to try and go up against the iPhone OS. Even if they acquired WebOS through this venture, their lack of imagination from using windows based software for these past decades will be their downfall.

HP seriously will not be any form of contender in the mobile space, not in netbooks ie slate/pad devices, or mobile smart phones. HP is definitely not too big to fail in their latest efforts to try stand toe to toe with the gargantuan that is Apple.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly. That is a world that most of us -- and Apple -- do not understand. I am not saying better or worse, just that it's different.

We should be somewhat less bombastic and less dismissive in our assessments of the company and its capabilities.

I agree. At the hospital we have a strong business relationship with Hewlett Packard developed over many years. Hewlett Packard is huge in health care. McKesson, one of the largest medical software providers deploy their solutions almost exclusively on HP hardware. I'm not overly concerned about the HP Slate competing with the iPad for thin client duties for doctors/nurses. However, a webos tablet could compete very well with the iPad for our business. If it came close to the iPad I can see us going with it instead solely on our relationship with HP.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

HP lacks the talent, vision and drive to exploit this opportunity fully.

Yes... Because Apple is the only one that can do anything right... /sarcasm and .

Instead of just brushing HP off like you do to anything non-Apple, think a bit more like the two below.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

My guess is that there are individuals within hp who have these things, but not senior management.

Quote:

I'm curious to see how webOS fairs in a tablet form.