Comedian Ellen DeGeneres apologizes for iPhone commercial parody

Comments

• Reply 21 of 149
    hoopmachoopmac Posts: 1member
    Not defending Apple's reaction, but my guess is that it comes down to the fact that Apple is a signature sponsor of American Idol. This must cost millions. Since Ellen is a judge of American Idol, they are probably not thrilled with her poking fun at their products.
  • Reply 22 of 149
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yanlesin View Post

http://www.drivecellsafe.ca/

Not sure why they use iPhone here...

I'm in BC. Good commercial.

Two thoughts...

1) the iPhone truly is a recognizable device now (say that 2 years ago).

2) the iPhone survived a car crash.
  • Reply 23 of 149
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think a little too much is being read into this on one level and not enough on the other. Note that Ellen's "apology" included her playing the spoof again. I don't think David Letterman repeated the joke he made about Palin's daughter a second time before apologizing. I don't think Ellen crossed any legal boundaries as it looks like they made the clips themselves as demonstrated by input and Portia's reply.

What I think may have happened is that Apple's PR made a phone call to Ellen's people about a completely legal but potential damaging spoof to an audience may not typically be the most tech savvy crowd. Perhaps all Apple's PR team did was request that Ellen make it clear that the iPhone is easy to use and perhaps pay her show a nice little fee and/or offer some nice Apple swag for the favour.

PS: I found it very funny.

I also think that part of the issue was that the video looked exactly like a real Apple ad with Apple logos and everything. I think that was the main issue here. Many talk shows made fun of the iPhone and iPad but no one complained and no one apologized.
  • Reply 24 of 149
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

if you're too stoopid to use an iphone, you shouldn't brag about it...

That's probably my first thought here. I didn't think her parody was funny at all.

But talk about promotion for the iPhone... money can't buy any better.
  • Reply 25 of 149
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hoopmac View Post

Not defending Apple's reaction, but my guess is that it comes down to the fact that Apple is a signature sponsor of American Idol. This must cost millions. Since Ellen is a judge of American Idol, they are probably not thrilled with her poking fun at their products.

Good point. Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 26 of 149
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Being that Apple spends big bucks to advertise on the show and American Idol, I can see where it doesn't want it's products to be presented as hard to use.
  • Reply 27 of 149
    simple_psimple_p Posts: 6member
    APPLE PR: We saw your parody iPhone ad yesterday.

ELLEN: Great. Did you think it was funny?

APPLE PR: No. Not particularly. Is there anyway we can make your iPhone experience better?

Ellen repeats the parody on her next show and adds that Apple didn't find it funny.

Anti-Apple geeks feel vindicated.
  • Reply 28 of 149
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Nobody should try to rationalize this. Humor requires no explanations or apologies .

Her crack about liking ihop was sufficient. It's not the worst thing I've seen on TV by far.

Apple should get over it. What kind of public image do they want? I mean really. Don't make fun of Apple!?
  • Reply 29 of 149
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Not sure who looks the bigger fool here, Apple for complaining or DeGeneres for apologizing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple needs to put a little more polish on their public relations efforts. They're coming off as a bit bullying in the eyes of the public, at least that's the impression I've been getting (not my own feelings).

I agree. Apple needs to lighten up. I understand they are trying hard to protect their brand, but it makes them come off like stuffy authority figures who can't take a joke. That isn't the image they want. They want to stay young and hip. Young and hip would roll with the joke and maybe have Steve or better yet Justin Long come on her show the next day and give her a lesson on how easy it is to use. It could have been so cool. A wasted opportunity.
  • Reply 30 of 149
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

They want to stay young and hip. Young and hip would roll with the joke...

I don't see anything "young and hip" about Ellen's fan base. I see a demographic that might widely be described as "techtarded".
  • Reply 31 of 149
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

...Apple should get over it. What kind of public image do they want? I mean really. Don't make fun of Apple!?

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball....

The ihop line was funny.
  • Reply 32 of 149
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    C'mon Stevo

You dress in a black turtleneck and blue jeans, but man who are you foolin'... you have become worse than an IBM grey suit.

Lighten up dude. Remember the early years! We still believe you haven't lost it!
  • Reply 33 of 149
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

That's probably my first thought here. I didn't think her parody was funny at all.

But talk about promotion for the iPhone... money can't buy any better.

yup. and she ran it twice! maybe that was apple's plan all along...
  • Reply 34 of 149
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Interesting to see the iPhone 3GS and Apple logos at the end. If I were Apple I'd certainly object to someone using my logos in that fashion (unless it's a deliberate marketing move by Apple.)
  • Reply 35 of 149
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Perhaps Apple was concerned with the 'Oprah' factor.

Anything endorsed by Oprah goes gold. Perhaps they felt Ellen held the same clout.

And given the poor execution, one couldn't really tell if the commercial was being serious or mocking.
  • Reply 36 of 149
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think a little too much is being read into this on one level and not enough on the other. Note that Ellen's "apology" included her playing the spoof again. I don't think David Letterman repeated the joke he made about Palin's daughter a second time before apologizing. Michael Richards didn't show a clip of his outburst prior to apologizing. I don't think Ellen crossed any legal boundaries as it looks like they made the clips themselves as demonstrated by input and Portia's reply.

What I think may have happened is that Apple's PR made a phone call to Ellen's people about a completely legal but potential damaging spoof to an audience may not typically be the most tech savvy crowd. Perhaps all Apple's PR team did was request that Ellen make it clear that the iPhone is easy to use and perhaps pay her show a nice little fee and/or offer some nice Apple swag for the favour.

PS: I found it very funny.

I'm making comments namely about the article author's point of view, which may be tainted with an unfair perspective. If the reality of the situation is different, I'd quickly modify my statement.
  • Reply 37 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I agree. Apple needs to lighten up. I understand they are trying hard to protect their brand, but it makes them come off like stuffy authority figures who can't take a joke. That isn't the image they want. They want to stay young and hip. Young and hip would roll with the joke and maybe have Steve or better yet Justin Long come on her show the next day and give her a lesson on how easy it is to use. It could have been so cool. A wasted opportunity.

Great suggestion. Both Justin Long and John Hodgman should be hired to do a live spoof on her show. It would get the public back in Apple's corner tut suite!
  • Reply 38 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Perhaps Apple was concerned with the 'Oprah' factor.

Anything endorsed by Oprah goes gold. Perhaps they felt Ellen held the same clout.

And given the poor execution, one couldn't really tell if the commercial was being serious or mocking.

I don't remember calls being made to comedians over the iPad ruckus. Any press is good press as long as they are basically on your side. Cross the public and they will be slow to forgive.
  • Reply 39 of 149
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Nothing to do with protecting Apple from comedians but remember Apple is a major sponsor of Idol where no doubt she is very well paid. So it was tactless for her to do the skit in the first place as it would be for any personality that makes money from a sponsor to make fun of their product. Perhaps this could explain the apology.
  • Reply 40 of 149
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

1- It doesn't sound funny. 2- Apple is stupid for complaining 3- She is stupid for apologizing.

Seconded.